7.8

1. Jan 21, 2015
    This was a game practically made for a handheld platform. Reminiscent of the cheesy early 90s' movies about giant-insect alien invasions,we have Earth Defense 2017, a third person shooter brought to us by D3 Publisher, based in LA, California. EDF 17' is the third game in the series, the first two were released on Xbox 360,the third was then ported over to PS Vita,which is rare,butThis was a game practically made for a handheld platform. Reminiscent of the cheesy early 90s' movies about giant-insect alien invasions,we have Earth Defense 2017, a third person shooter brought to us by D3 Publisher, based in LA, California. EDF 17' is the third game in the series, the first two were released on Xbox 360,the third was then ported over to PS Vita,which is rare,but welcome.

(For more info about D3 Publisher click HERE!)

The game puts us in Japan (surprise,surprise), in the year 2017, the human race has made contact (via radio waves) with alien life. The EDF is assembled,sponsored by every nation on earth,equipped with state of the art weaponry, and positioned on-ground just in case there is a hostile threat,which there is. You are the Captain of team "Storm 1", the helmet-wearing nameless leader of the main EDF division. Your team is reguarded as the best and always the first to respond to the various alien threats.

There are two main control schemes in the game: Advanced and Basic. In my experience,for some reason, "advanced" is easier to use than "Basic" (which is odd) but advanced provides far more freedom of movement and more options for the character. Typical arcade shooter controls: left stick moves our guy on his feet, right stick determines direction. Turn sensitivity can (and should) be adjusted for optimal performance,via settings menu. With the exception of 4 DLC guns, which are free, weapons are of the "procure on-site" variety, which means whatever the enemies "drop" after defeat,is up for grabs!. This is worth keeping track of however,as there are over 100+ weapons available in the game,as well as a trophy for discovering them all!

In addition to guns there are also 4 vehicles available for use in most maps (marked as yellow on maps), tanks,attack choppers, gun-equipped motorbikes, and "mechs". I found the tanks to be of the most use,power and durability wise, with the bikes being fast but weak and the choppers & mechs being strong,but too slow.
    EDF could not have been made in any other format other than "open-world". Graphics are sharp,well done,reminds me of GTA 3,only with less cars and more giant bugs. They didn't skimp on the playable area of the game. Of course,at some point,you will hit a "barrier" you can't go beyond,but it's organic,like a visible gate/fence. In any event, you won't get there by accident. I would suggest grabbing a bike or chopper if you want to check out the full scale of the landscape. It's easy to kill civilians and fellow soldiers with "friendly fire" if you are not careful (they are not as durable as you) so take consideration when using a missle/rocket launcher,or any grenades. The AI soldiers will seem useless early on but as the aliens get tougher you will need that extra RPG backup. You can only equip two weapons per mission, so choose wisely.
    Audio quality is where things get dicey for the EDF. Sure, you can hear everything going on, there's even a sense of depth, what's far,what's close by. But far as what you CAN hear will vary from: alien bugs making the exact same noise upon getting killed, soldiers often repeating themselves,or talking over each other...only to say the exact same thing. But this is a problem that can be easily remedied by turning the voice volumes down,or off completely.
    Like most Japanese games this one goes a bit long,there's over 50 levels,which equals tons of replay value once you factor in the weapons which are difficulty-level exclusive,as well as the second playable character "Pale Wing" who is only available after you complete the game. You may be "defending the earth" for quite some time!

Good: Fun story
    Arcade-style gameplay
    Open World
    Use of vehicles

Bad: Weak ally AI
    Bad voice acting
    (like a Japanese movie poorly dubbed in English,even though it's funny to listen to)

Note: As of this time this review was published, I have not yet been able to find an active online session to join,so I wasn't able to review the quality of the online co-op/multiplayer experience, but as of now the servers are still up!, so if you have friends who own this game,get a little "EDF" community going online!
  2. Sep 21, 2014
    that one simple game of blowing s*it up in future style with the exception of monsters invading? welcome to this game! the gameplay is rough with the exception of good combat...barely any story to me...its worthy of it being a vita game since the experience wouldn't be the same on consoles. touchscreen sometimes comes into play. this game is ok and worth waiting for if your iffy about it.that one simple game of blowing s*it up in future style with the exception of monsters invading? welcome to this game! the gameplay is rough with the exception of good combat...barely any story to me...its worthy of it being a vita game since the experience wouldn't be the same on consoles. touchscreen sometimes comes into play. this game is ok and worth waiting for if your iffy about it. its a great game in my opinion thou so...8/10 Expand
  3. Jan 6, 2014
    its the b movie of video games, i may just love it for that reason alone. But with the very long campaign, the decent graphics for a portable game, and hundreds of guns to unlock, this game was well worth my money, and my time.
  4. Jan 21, 2013
    Crazy and exhilarating... the fps down sometimes bugged me but it's okay though... I screamed like crazy while playing.. mostly when it's spider part..
  5. Jan 14, 2013
    YOU LIKE DEATH? THEN DIE!!! Man, I love this game. Sure the "graphics" are poor (even when compared to its xbox 360 counterpart) The "polish" is lackluster, and the animations are laughably stiff, if you resonate on the same level as this game, you'll have a blast. When a giant horde of bouncing alien spiders outnumbering you 1000 to one is slowly and mercilessly bounding your way, andYOU LIKE DEATH? THEN DIE!!! Man, I love this game. Sure the "graphics" are poor (even when compared to its xbox 360 counterpart) The "polish" is lackluster, and the animations are laughably stiff, if you resonate on the same level as this game, you'll have a blast. When a giant horde of bouncing alien spiders outnumbering you 1000 to one is slowly and mercilessly bounding your way, and all you have is a rocket launcher to literally "launch" the aliens hundreds of feet, the awesomeness indescribable. If you've always wanted to play a ridiculously silly old school Japanese monster/invasion movie in video game form look no further. Come for the sillyness and camp, stay for the addictive gameplay. But, be a little weary of the repetitiveness. Also, the addition of a new character and fully functioning online coop over the xbox 360 version is fantastic and gives the game a lot of staying power. On a side note, the bite sized nature of the missions is perfectly suited for online play. Expand
  6. Jan 10, 2013
    nice and hectic multiplayer 3d shooter !
    coop play was very popular in japan and always fun.
    messaging during the game makes this a slightly crazy experience 'edf edf !!'
    also nice that you have tons of weopons and a special jetpack character to
    unlock.
    in the last level the graphics can get a bit choppy. really fun game!
  7. Jan 21, 2013

1. Everything about EDF 2017 is a slog. Graphically atrocious and sonically awful, low-res buildings comically disappear after being grazed by heavy weaponry. While the bugs and bots twitch and spasm around their own character models, the bipedal robots are the worst offenders here, often getting caught up in their own limbs. [March 2013, p79]
  2. Mar 21, 2013
    Unpretentious in the extreme, comical by accident, irritating when it wants to be. [Issue#229, p.80]
  3. Mar 17, 2013
    It’s far from a perfect game, but it is extremely entertaining and Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable is proof that the joy of playing a game is far more important than graphics and physics. If the developers had put just a little more time in fixing some of the bugs and the presentation it would have been an instant classic.