Fez PlayStation Vita

6.7

1. Jun 16, 2014
    A game that frames itself as a love letter to older game whilst being anything but. Once you've gotten over the initial gimmick (the 2D game existing in 3D space, most prominently used in Paper Mario), there's very little to offer in terms of gameplay. The platforming is as basic as it comes and really lets down the potential of the game's gimmick. There could have been a much moreA game that frames itself as a love letter to older game whilst being anything but. Once you've gotten over the initial gimmick (the 2D game existing in 3D space, most prominently used in Paper Mario), there's very little to offer in terms of gameplay. The platforming is as basic as it comes and really lets down the potential of the game's gimmick. There could have been a much more involving platform game or action adventure game in this and the game would be much better off for it. But no, instead you jump from platform to platform with no enemies, no obstacles and no way to die. Making the game a very disappointing play if you're looking for something to play for the actual video game aspects of it. It's incredibly infuriating because you can imagine how much fun the game could be when combined with a great 2D platformer.

Going back to what I said before about older games, this game is nothing like it. Older games has challenge, they had variety, they would kick your ass until you learned how to play well. This game offers none of that.

From what I gather from what others have said. The game's creator saw what I mentioned above as hindrances for his vision of the game, making sure nothing got in the way of the player wandering around the world he created (and sure, the visuals are fine, although I'll quickly mention that the audio is just ambient noise, not really adding anything or taking away). I feel such a method of approaching games is dull for people like myself who value gameplay in video games. It's perfectly possible to create wonderful worlds with great gameplay. There's no need to see them as opposition to each other as Fish appears to do.
  2. Sep 13, 2014
    Terrible disappointment. After seeing all the praise, hell, it's even rated as the best game for PS Vita here on Metacritic, my expectations were quite high. On the other hand the creator Phil Fish is notoriously known for being a total dick, and after seeing some of his behaviour or opinions I must agree, but I was still really curious what all the fuss is about and when I got this forTerrible disappointment. After seeing all the praise, hell, it's even rated as the best game for PS Vita here on Metacritic, my expectations were quite high. On the other hand the creator Phil Fish is notoriously known for being a total dick, and after seeing some of his behaviour or opinions I must agree, but I was still really curious what all the fuss is about and when I got this for free on PS Plus I had to play it. To my unpleasant surprise, the game is a rather average indie platformer, the only interesting thing about it is the 2D/3D switching, but that's really not something that can drive the gameplay all the way through. It gets boring very quickly, there is no real challenge whatsoever apart for a very few locations, there are no enemies, so the only thing you do is solving puzzles, which would be nice if those puzzles were actually solvable by common sense and not some kind of crypting mechanisms that you can never solve without checking it somewhere on the net first. I mean, games own alphabet? Scanning QR codes? Vibration hints (especially fun on Vita which doesn't have vibration at all)? I was really hoping for an enjoyable experience here, but didn't get it, it had potential, it had some ideas and indie platformers like this are always amazing on Vita, look at fantastic Spelunky for example, but Fez simply doesn't deliver, it disappoints quite hard and it's a hot candidate for one of the most overrated game of all time. Where all the praise came from? I have no idea, but it's mostly on the "professional" critics part, as the average user score here is much lower and much closer to the truth. So probably bribes in action in the world of gaming journalism. 3/10 Expand
  3. Apr 24, 2014
    THis game sucks. i want a refund. phill fish thought he was human enough to program a half decent game but hes full fish. Tell Phill fish to go back to the ocean, he does not belong up here with making crap like FEZ

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    May 23, 2014
    Few puzzles offer the complexity and design smarts that are on show here. [June 2014, p.88]
  2. Apr 4, 2014
    Being straightforward, it is a must have. A game that brings back that excitement that surfaces when you explore every corner of its world and, most importantly, is worth giving a try to allow it to astonish the gamer.
  3. Apr 4, 2014
    A deep and involving Metroidvania in a superbly constructed world. Fez's appearance on handheld is just as intriguing as when it first hit consoles and computers.