7.9

1. May 6, 2014
    There is no need to qualify the need for this collection ... it's God of War. It's Kratos. What else do you need to know? The graphics look great. The gameplay is great. It's everything I want from God of War, except for something new. The sales of this collection are going to be fantastic. Two great games for $30 (and you know that price will drop after all the groupies like us have bought it). What's missing is a new God of War game for PS Vita. Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta travel well on the Vita, and look great ... but why go to the trouble to add a second analog stick and rear touch screen if you aren't going to create the one game every Vita owner wants?

Where's a new God of War?

I would buy this collection no matter how many times I've played it on PS2/PS3, because it's awesome. Being able to take it on the go? Even more awesome. Honestly, these games feel like they were made for the Vita. The hope of every Vita owner who loves GOW is that, at some point, Sony will realize that this is what we're waiting for and will commission a new Kratos game.

Come on Sony! Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease ...

This collection is good. I would have rated it a 10 if it were the saga (all three PS games and both PSP games). That would have been a tidal wave of awesome. But, for now, it's just a 9, because they were a little shortsighted in what could have been accomplished here.

If you love the GOW games, get it. At $30, it's worth it.
  2. May 6, 2014
    Like the Metal Gear Solid Vita release, it transfers great to the portable system and the series has proven it can kick major ass on a portable. Sadly the portable games were not included which weakens the package. Granted they can be downloaded to Vita, but for $30 bucks, it should have at least been packaged with download codes for these PSP classics.
  3. May 7, 2014
    I picked up my new PlayStation Vita bundle yesterday that included Borderlands 2 and I also picked up God of War and I must say that I am very pleased that I can now play my two favorite God of War games on the go! Which is one of the main reasons I got my PlayStation Vita :) The only thing that I wish they would have done with this game was UP the graphics a bit. But even at that, It really doesn't bother my play-ability of the game. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the GoW series. Expand
  4. JJ_
    May 9, 2014
    I just picked this up today and was surprisingly underwhelmed but still satisfied. The resolution and textures don't exactly qualify this as an "HD remake" cause its pretty the resolution of the PS2. Maybe worse in some areas. Baffles me that they can make FFX HD so good but make God of War so muddy. Gameplay and everything else is the same. Just don't expect it to look as good.
  5. May 11, 2014
    Its portable versions of God of War 1 and 2 with better graphics for 30 bucks..hard to argue with the price tag and I think its well worth getting either way. Here are my main complaints with it:
    1. The graphics in some of the cinematics are HEAVILY compressed and honestly look even worse then the PS2 which I didn't think was possible given that hey are in a smaller square box on the Vita
    as opposed to the whole screen. I'm not sure how they messed this up so bad honestly.
    2. Minor lag in some areas after extended play time. I experienced this after about 4 hours so I don't think it would happen that much. The lag was definitely noticeable but after I defeated all the enemies it was completely gone and never experienced lag since. Not a huge deal.
    3. Lack of settings options. The main thing is it would have been nice to see a subtitles option as I usually either play my vita on a loud bus or in a quiet waiting room. I haven't tried the 2nd God of War yet but the 1st one only has 3 settings options, music volume, sound effects volume, and controls which are not rebindable. You can tell they kinda half assed it with this port sadly.

Overall, you get what you paid for. Its GoW 1 and 2 with better graphics on the go. Despite the fact that this is a rather shoddy port for a great game for what it is its still worth getting in my opinion.
  6. Jul 5, 2014
    It runs at an average of 18fps and is blurry and pixilated. Since when is gameplay seen as amazing if it cant even keep 30fps, if the game was on PS3 it would be called unplayable, but just cos its on the Vita it gets a free pass.
  7. May 19, 2014
    I'm an avid GoW fan, so I picked this up for my collection. Priced relatively good as this is essentially a port rather than a new game altogether. Nice gameplay, though I'm not much of a fan of tapping the back panel which was introduced in this port.
  8. May 29, 2014
    If you are already an owner of the previous versions of these games, there is really no need to go out and buy this, unless you want to experience the first two GoWs on the go. If you do not own these games, then you have another chance, that this time is very tempting for people who own both PS Vita and PS3 (Cross-Buy). The technical issues, such as the low framerate, framedrops below 20 and lower resolution, are annoying but they should not distract you from having an epic adventure that these games offer.

Though, if you own a PS3, you should definitely play those games on that console, as it is by far superior.
  9. May 16, 2014
    I will not make a big review, this game is amazing and has about 2 scenes with frame drops in god of war 2. All the game is playable and the touch controls don't really feel forced.

Still it's not a perfect port, many things are dumbed down (MGS is the pinnacle of ports!).
  10. May 16, 2014
    OK, so it isn't an amazing port, the gaming sites have criticized the resolution and a lack of fluidity.. well, I re-installed this to my PS3 and there is some slight difference and no it isnt as clear as it ought to be. But who care! five mins of playing and all that counts for nowt - its GoW I&II on your Vita people - its awesome!
  11. May 19, 2014
    very good port the touchscreen is a little annoying to open chests and doors at first but i quickly got use to it and it looks fantastic but some of the cut scenes look like they were taken right out of the ps2 version most likely to save space
  12. May 27, 2014
    Great port on vita. The game looks pretty good and plays smoothly for me. I compared it to the ps3 version on remote play and liked the look slightly better on the actual vita version. The only reason it's getting a 9 is the graphics could have been just slightly better, and this game could have included the psp versions as well. I would have gladly paid more for a heftier collection. Otherwise, it's god of war on the go and both games are still a lot of fun! Expand
  13. Jun 2, 2014
    First part of this collection is great action game, but in comparison to second part, it is just a prelude to truly epic masterpiece that God of War II is.
  14. Jun 2, 2014
    Considering that this collection was never intended to be a HD counterpart of Ps3 GoW HD collection, it's pretty much satisfying to have two original games on your hands wherever you go. The only thing that really dissapointed me was cutscenes. How can you be so lazy to not change their resolutions to fit vita's screen?
  15. Jul 5, 2014
    The games are awfully low resolution (They look worse than on PS2!) and run BADLY. Eurogamer did a Digital Foundry on it if you don't believe me.

I can't believe Sanzaru ported this over as their other Vita ports have been great. I can only assume they just were not as passionate about this franchise.

The Vita is not the place to play or even re-play these classics. Sorry. If you
    really, really want to give it a try, get the game on PS3 and use remote play to play it on your Vita. It'll look and run better than the native Vita version. Expand
  16. Jul 17, 2014
    18fps??! are this serious??! They did not port this game well,how poor was the port.And $30.00?? Its like PSP game that just put together in one disc,and there is no improvement at all....
  17. Aug 1, 2014
    Can't Believe it PSVita can bring GOW 1 & 2 in one Cardtridge PSVita...so Coolll. Graphics is look awesome but the cutscene / cinematics not fullscreen or not fit in to screen...too bad. Sound and music is look great, and more mini games & puzzle is can make frustation, but anyway this games is look amazing and more challenge.
  18. Oct 11, 2014
    This game was so fun it's a must buy. I have never played the first 2 games was so happy to find out it was coming to ps vita. It plays great looks amazing 10/10

1. Jul 31, 2014
    God of War’s first two entries should absolutely not be missed now that they’ve been remade—just choose your edition wisely if you crave the grandeur of an actual HD remake.
  2. Jul 28, 2014
    A rough port of a pair of great games that makes them show their age.
  3. Jun 9, 2014
    At its worst a little choppier than you may remember, at its best downright timeless. The port's not perfect, but this is still a great way to play two of PS2's best games on the move.