Gravity Rush PlayStation Vita

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 12, 2012
8.5

1. Dec 1, 2012
    Let's get it straight. I won't make excuses for being portable and being among few titles available on Vita. It is awesome game ON VITA, and it is awesome PORTABLE game. But if don't take portability into acount It's mediocre game with good art-direction and story. You only like it if you get used to alcoholic camera and broken lock-on kick system. It doesn't stand any modern gameplay standarts.
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    This is really an unpolished gem. There are some great ideas, but I feel this would be so much better on the PS3. It's very Infamous-y but the whole experience feels very shallow. There is very little to do outside the story missions, only some challenges.. and all of them are like "do this within the time limit!" and then you have to best yourself. I don't think that's a lot of fun, so IThis is really an unpolished gem. There are some great ideas, but I feel this would be so much better on the PS3. It's very Infamous-y but the whole experience feels very shallow. There is very little to do outside the story missions, only some challenges.. and all of them are like "do this within the time limit!" and then you have to best yourself. I don't think that's a lot of fun, so I skipped almost all of them with really no negative consequenses so they're totally optional. I hade doing things within a time limit. The story missions are fine but the problem is THE STORY. It's very japanese, very childish and worst of all, it's truly bad. Vague, silly, incoherent and full of plot holes. Honestly, I found myself skipping half of it because I was so bored. If the story had been descent, I would have been more motivated to play the game. In the end, I just wanted to get it over with. The controls are fine but sometimes it's a little bit frustrating to aim at enemies, but there are crystals scattered all over the world that you can collect and upgrade your abilities so you get powerful easily. Over-all, a quite easy game.

So, wrap-up. I would have liked a real story that you could care even a little about and just more meaningful things to do. The world feels kind of dead and there are no memorable characters at all except for Kat. This is more like a tech demo wrapped around a really bad story. I have no desire at all to go back and play more, or buy any DLC.

Oh, the graphics are great but the resolution seems to be kind of low. The Vita screen has really low resolution to begin with and this just looks up-scaled. Too bad, because the graphics would be so much more enjoyable if they weren't.
  3. Jan 16, 2014
    Gravity Rush opens with Heroine Kat waking up in a strange floating town with no memory of who or where she is. Discovering she has powers that allow her to control gravity she takes it upon herself to help the townsfolk being overran by shadowy creatures known as Nevi.

These gravitational powers are certainly at the forefront of the gameplay allowing you to point a cursor in any direction and suddenly change the flow of gravity so that you begin to fall towards it. This means you can run up vertical walls and even fly through the air to stick to ceilings or traverse otherwise unassailable gaps. For the most part the controls are great fun, as well as easy to get the hang of, and only occasionally become frustrating when trying to utilise the motion controlled slide action or when the game makes the strange decision to rob you of your powers for a period,

Told beautifully through comic book style panels the story, while perhaps a little meandering on occasions to be totally effective, certainly has its fair share of charm and helps the compliment the enjoyable gameplay.

Gravity Rush isn't without its flaws but if you own a Vita this is worth picking up.
  4. Feb 17, 2013
    Gravity Rush may look quite interesting and beautiful, but in the end it is shallow in pretty much every aspect. The world you move through is but a dead background, where people move aimlessly until you catch them in your gravity stream as you fly around, only to release them a bit further where they usually end up falling to their death in the bottomless emptiness beyond the city. AndGravity Rush may look quite interesting and beautiful, but in the end it is shallow in pretty much every aspect. The world you move through is but a dead background, where people move aimlessly until you catch them in your gravity stream as you fly around, only to release them a bit further where they usually end up falling to their death in the bottomless emptiness beyond the city. And nobody seems to care.

Story is kinda interesting, but you are never quite told who is who in this weird, almost surreal, world and in the end I just felt kinda pissed that I do not know anything about the city and its inhabitants, about the monsters that attack them, about the nature of the world itself. It just feels random as if there is no real background and the whole thing is just a bunch of ideas smashed together.

Gameplay itself is fairly limited in options and the combat mechanics could use a good game designer, because the potential there is much, much greater than what the game ultimately has to offer. Now this is all rather negative and I'd like to stress out that Gravity Rush is not a bad game, but my expectations for it were considerably higher and the potential to fulfill them was rather obvious. Decent game, but shallow and therefore disappointing to sum it up.
  5. Feb 11, 2013
    Its a pretty game It is.
    Is Kat a charming character? It is
    Is the story interesting? Kinda.
    Is the game fun? No its not.
    Too repetitive ,the city is lifeless, the missions are boring.
    The loading times for the missions are long.
    The game is OK, but not great
  6. Aug 25, 2012
    Even though a very fun game, Gravity Rush feels unfinished and
  7. Aug 25, 2012
    Gravity Rush should be rated M for mediocre. I'm around 10 hours in so far, and I have to stop.

The graphics are very unimpressive, like something you'd expect from a non-gaming computer from 10 years ago. The trailers are a lie, in game is missing a lot of anti-aliasing and shadows and detailed textures. Combat is infrequent, and not a lot of fun. All you do is kick, throw stuff, or

Combat is infrequent, and not a lot of fun. All you do is kick, throw stuff, or float in the air and kick. Or hit the triangle button and whatever you're aimed at dies.

The music is pure awful, and it repeats itself every 30 seconds or so. Other zones have different music, but they too repeat themselves over and over driving you insane.

I think the story got lost in translation. Or it's just awful too and everyone giving high scores don't know any better.

Flying around is kind of fun.
  8. Oct 30, 2013
    My first game for PS VITA. First of all I'd like to praise the visual style, the cell-shaded graphics and the whole surrealistic atmosphere and setting. Also I liked the main character Kat, she is pretty charismatic and I liked the irony to her person in the story (she always wants to help everyone but only gets into trouble). Besides I must say that the concept of changing gravity isMy first game for PS VITA. First of all I'd like to praise the visual style, the cell-shaded graphics and the whole surrealistic atmosphere and setting. Also I liked the main character Kat, she is pretty charismatic and I liked the irony to her person in the story (she always wants to help everyone but only gets into trouble). Besides I must say that the concept of changing gravity is pretty unique and original for video games. I liked the exploration in this game, it was awesome to collect some gems crawling upside down or flying above the rooftops and highest towers of the city. The "RPG elements" are pretty poor but it's still great that the game system has it. I believe these are all of the positive moments in the game. About the negative the game has a huge and obvious flaw, it's the awful battle system. Most of the battles happen in the air, you have no aim-locking system or something, so most of the time you hang in the air trying to figure out are you upside down or not and where is the enemy, so you feel pretty much disoriented, confused and frustrated. If the enemy is static it's rather easy to take it down, but if it is moving, the fight seems a torture. All the boss fights are long because it's so hard to aim while they are moving. But I must say there is a special attack which kicks the close target and after it kills the enemy it moves to the next one. I used it in the last part of the game because it was too frustrating to try to kill enemies with the standard gravity kick. I tried to watch some Youtube videos to get used to battle system but I figured out that other players have the same problems and the system is impossible to master. The other thing I didn't like is the emptiness of the world, yes, there are some people walking around the city, but you can't interact with them, they are just for decoration. The "side quests" are all challenges for speed of killing enemies|moving etc. Not my kind of thing really. The story...well, there is a story, it's pretty...Japanese-game-like, don't know what to more to say. Overall, I must say that this game definitely has some charm and it's advised to try for every VITA owner though I'm not sure that it can be considered a system seller or whatever it is called. I'd like it much more if the game was more about the exploration, maybe some gravity puzzles, dialogues and guests and less on those abysmal battles or if the battle system was more thought over/fun to use. I saw some hints that there will be a sequel, if so I hope the flaws will be removed and I will enjoy it much more than this. cheers. Expand
  9. Nov 17, 2012
    Let's be honest. This game has original graphics and original gameplay never seen before in a game. But it is sooo boring. It's all about collecting gems and upgrading your abilities. There is a story, quite fun although sometimes I was amazed how rude Kat was to other people. Definitely my least favorite character. Completed after a few hours. Ok, what now? I can fly, I have an open worldLet's be honest. This game has original graphics and original gameplay never seen before in a game. But it is sooo boring. It's all about collecting gems and upgrading your abilities. There is a story, quite fun although sometimes I was amazed how rude Kat was to other people. Definitely my least favorite character. Completed after a few hours. Ok, what now? I can fly, I have an open world so what should I do. Oh, looks like I can do some side missions. Race? Should be fun. Okay, race was boring. What now... Wait, everything in this game is boring. Never mind, I'll just wait for a good game. Yeah, after completing the main story line, I had nothing to do. I no longer enjoyed flying, I no longer enjoyed the graphics, there was nothing more to do. After 5 days of playing, I no longer wanted to play the game. Would I buy it again? Yeah, I probably would, but definitely not worth the money now when AC3: Liberation and NFS Most Wanted are out. Expand
  10. Dec 8, 2012
    I picked up a Vita during Black Friday, and was looking for something to play. I wanted to try this and Persona 4 Golden, and Gamefly sent me this first. I honestly don't understand all the hype I was seeing from the game before I played it.

System seller? No. Absolutely not. Gorgeous? No. Good looking, maybe, but certainly not gorgeous. great story? HA! Maybe if you thought the Twilight books had good writing, but Gravity Rush's story is laughably anemic.

Let's start the meaty part of my review with the good. The game allows you to feel like you're really exploring pretty much anywhere you could possibly want to go. That's the one thing this game does really well. It's also relatively good looking, despite some stupid character design issues. ("Her legs are boring." "What should I do?" "It's supposed to look like anime, right? Put some tentacles on her or something!")

Past that point, we're into Dull City. You begin the game as a girl with no past, quickly joined by a cat that's not a cat. Later on someone gives you the nickname Kat, and pretty much, that's as much info as you're going to learn about Kat until the inevitable sequel(s) they totally set this up for.

Combat is perfunctory, at best. I guess that's a problem when your game system allows you to clumsily move about wherever you want in 3D space. You can't have an AI character that does it too well, otherwise, the player will have no shot in hell of winning. So, they're basically sessile, have easy to spot weak points, and are all (including bosses) very easily dispatched once you pick up the Gravity Typhoon attack. (Simply stay out of the Nevi's agro range, fire, and let the giant homing rocks wreak havoc.)

Exploration is what this game does best, but aside from picking up gems that can be used to power up your abilities, there's really precious little to look at. It's all the same matte shades of gray bent into impossible architecture, because the entire world doesn't obey the laws of gravity.

So, without exploration, and without enjoyable combat, the game's left to rely on the story, and there's nothing there. More infuriatingly, the story's imparted to you and the main character by people who know what's about to happen but won't tell you, as if substituting exposition with "Oh, you'll see" is some kind of hallmark of good storytelling. No fewer than 3 characters that Kat interacts this will communicate with her in this fashion. Worse than that, is that, in the end, you don't actually see. It's all just left hanging. Characters are pointed out as important, and have minimal impact. Events are pointed out as "disturbing" and never brought up again. Big twists are straight up ripped out of other unipressive works of fiction. The game seems to have had the barest bones or a story, and so the game makers decided to turn it into soup, allowing it to thinly cover the game with no substance.

This isn't a bad game, but once the veneer of being able to fly around wears off, there's just no more "rush" to be found in Gravity Rush. Poor story and uninspired combat means that Vita gamers crowing about this title are likely going to be in for a rude awakening when the friends they try to impress quickly put the game down.
  11. Aug 17, 2013
    Could have been way better by not being so abstract and frustrating. Some great ideas stuffed with horrible ones. The gravity shift idea is great but it's not implemented well and that means that the whole game is a chore. Aside from that the story could have been something but it's rubbish and all because of the overstuffed cast and the non-sensial motives of every character. Noone has aCould have been way better by not being so abstract and frustrating. Some great ideas stuffed with horrible ones. The gravity shift idea is great but it's not implemented well and that means that the whole game is a chore. Aside from that the story could have been something but it's rubbish and all because of the overstuffed cast and the non-sensial motives of every character. Noone has a reason for the things they do.

The bright spots are the art design and the level of originality, but in the end the camera cannot support this kind of gameplay though it means well. The Vita gimmicks are kinda nice.
  12. Jan 31, 2014
    Gravity rush is definitely a great game, with pretty graphics, a lot to do, and a detailed open world, however it is plagued by a few faults.

Pros + No regenerating health! + A solid difficulty level + The touchscreen controls are not intrusive to the experience + A detailed open world, with a lot to do in it + Nice graphics + Very entertaining + Stable Framerate Cons - Awful

Pros
    + No regenerating health!
    + A solid difficulty level
    + The touchscreen controls are not intrusive to the experience
    + A detailed open world, with a lot to do in it
    + Nice graphics
    + Very entertaining
    + Stable Framerate

Cons
    - Awful combat mechanics
    - Gravity switching is often disorienting
    - The plot makes no sense at times, and a lot of sense at others (poor plot design)
    - Sixaxis, need I say more?

Overall, Gravity Rush is a solid, enjoyable experience, with faults, yet there are barely any bugs, and it's a truly original experience, for a truly great handheld

7.4/10 - Good
  13. Dec 18, 2014
    The mechanics of this game are really cool and fun to play. However, the missions in the game are very repetitive and boring. Also the loading is slow.
  14. Nov 4, 2013
    Good:
    Strong starting story
    Creative and original game mechanics
    Fun open world exploration and incentive to explore
    A few very surprising and brilliant levels

Bad:
    Boring generic music
    Combat mechanics is unbalanced and way too easy
    Story feels rushed and almost unfinished in the end. This hints strongly to a sequel but it is too abrupt.

7/10.
  15. Dec 25, 2013
    Gravity Rush is a great game for the vita, but it fails to fully live up to its expectations. The idea and gameplay is original, and the artstyle is fabulous. But the combat is dull, tedious and aggravating. The story about Gravity Rush and the story about Kats' past is interesting, but the game barely talks about it. Kat's even more interested in finding a boyfriend then learning aboutGravity Rush is a great game for the vita, but it fails to fully live up to its expectations. The idea and gameplay is original, and the artstyle is fabulous. But the combat is dull, tedious and aggravating. The story about Gravity Rush and the story about Kats' past is interesting, but the game barely talks about it. Kat's even more interested in finding a boyfriend then learning about her past! What makes the game even worse is the fact that the game focuses more on its boring combat than its interesting story. The game ends without answering half of the questions it offers leaving the game unsatisfactory. The boring challenges don't help either. At the end of the day, Gravity Rush is still a good enough game to try, and it's still one of the better game's on the PSVita system. Expand
  16. Jan 17, 2014
    Interesting concept but the controls are far from user friendly. They're garbage.
    You know those guys that get amazingly good at CoD because they play constantly?
    Well get ready for some of that if you want to beat this game.
  17. Jan 3, 2014
    Gravity Rush is a good game despite a lot of problems. The game looks gorgeous and is easily the best looking open world game on a portable system. The art style is vibrant and colorful, this mixed with the great jazzy soundtrack creates a world that you want to spend a lot of time in.

Most of the fun in this game comes from exploring the city using your gravity powers. The biggest problem with this game is its combat. Its repetitive, boring and really shows how bad the camera can be at times. The story can be fun at times but its barely explains any of the mysteries and ends on a big cliffhanger. I would still recommend this game to anyone that owns a vita.
  18. Aug 9, 2015
    this game has believable atmosphere that will suck you into it worlds i loved the art of this game and it beautiful presentation and comic style one major issue the game suffered from which is fighting system its annoying repetitive and boring this game have the potential to be one of the best exclusives by sony and best on handheld waiting for gravity rush 2
  19. Sep 8, 2015
    卡通化的画风、爽快的战斗系统、翱翔天际的操作都很棒,但是剧情发展实在是非常一般。虽然剧情不行,但是人物的对话还是很风趣幽默的,经常能逗人发笑。
  20. Aug 25, 2012

Flying around is kind of fun.

1. Jun 9, 2013
    Despite the shortcomings of the combat, Gravity Rush can still stand alongside some of the best games on the Vita. With its wonderful art style oozing character, it’s a game that once you start; it’s really hard to put down.
  2. Oct 29, 2012
    The concept is just dripping with potential on paper, but once it actually hit my Vita, something seems to have been lost.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 14, 2012
    While Gravity Rush is not a perfect game (The combat is lacking, the camera disorientating and the story lacks a proper ending) it is still an extremely fun and addicting piece of gravity shifting adventure. The world, with its odd inhabitants, colorful areas and memorable music deserves most praise. [Sept 2012]