8.4

1. Jan 30, 2015
    Fresh off coming off my 2 playthroughs (1 on normal, 1 on hard going fast as I could) of Guacamelee! on my PlayStation Vita, I believe I'm come over the thumb numbing action that Guacamelee! provided me while staring at its beautiful scenery. The story of Guacamelee! puts you in the shoes of an agave farmer named Juan that is in love with El Presidente's daughter but alas they have notFresh off coming off my 2 playthroughs (1 on normal, 1 on hard going fast as I could) of Guacamelee! on my PlayStation Vita, I believe I'm come over the thumb numbing action that Guacamelee! provided me while staring at its beautiful scenery. The story of Guacamelee! puts you in the shoes of an agave farmer named Juan that is in love with El Presidente's daughter but alas they have not come to their senses and realized it yet. Therefore when your chance to start showing your love for her, a skeleton named Calaca decides to kidnap her and foil the fiesta! Juan then gets transported to the land of the dead where you find a mask that turns him into a macho lucha libre! With Juan's newborn combo moves and skills it is your responsibility to rescue El Presidente's daughter and stop Calaca's plan to take over the world!

The combat and action of Guacamelee! is just right: arenas full of enemies will keep you on your toes but there's plenty of save spots and breather spots around for you to rest your thumbs if need be (something Mega Man never did for me!). Normal mode of Guacamelee! isn't hard unless you are bad at timing attacks/dodges in which case you will probably not beat Hard Mode / get the Platinum trophy. Hard mode is infuriating to say the least (you will swear at the bosses/one or two arenas) and a couple of places you need to complete to get the platinum trophy are Mega Man levels of annoyance (I'm talking disappearing platforms and jumping from switching wall to wall stuff). While I did get the Platinum Trophy for the game and played it twice, I would gladly replay the game again since it's real beauty lies in it's characters and backgrounds. There are also tons of funny meme jokes like ME GUSTA and Gentlemen Spy etcetera. There are references here and there like the poster of Grim Fandango that says Missing!. Well Grim Fandango, you're missing no more and like you Grim Fandango, I hope we never forget Guacamelee!
  2. Oct 23, 2014
    I dont like mexican music. I dont like the idea of luchadores. I really hate Castlevania SOTN. BUT I really had to check whats the fuss is about GUACAMELEE! especially when You can get it on VITA almost for free on sale.
    So what did I get?
    + combat system + platforming + excellent pace (i like fast games) + cool A/V + great atmosphere + funny moments - story - lack of
    So what did I get?
    + combat system
    + platforming
    + excellent pace (i like fast games)
    + cool A/V
    + great atmosphere
    + funny moments

- story
    - lack of replayability - I just dont see the point to finish the game faster (idk how but on leaderbord there is a dude who completed the game within less than 5 minutes on hard - plain IMPOSSIBLE!)

Verdict: I must admit, now I love mexicanstyle soundtrack of this game. Luchador was awesome! And although i still hate Castlevania:SOTN i just had a real blast with guacamelee! Great game. I think indie games gives us that something thats missing from AAA titles nowadays. Lets call it soul. Guacamelee! definitely has it!
  3. Sep 9, 2014
    The classic 2D action platformer is a genre that is often sorely overlooked. Having grown up on classics such as Catlevania and Metroid, I'm always surprised at the neglect this genre continues to experience. Dubbed "MetroidVania" platformers, these types of games combine hardcore platforming gameplay with skill based fighting mechanics and puts them in a vast open world environment. InThe classic 2D action platformer is a genre that is often sorely overlooked. Having grown up on classics such as Catlevania and Metroid, I'm always surprised at the neglect this genre continues to experience. Dubbed "MetroidVania" platformers, these types of games combine hardcore platforming gameplay with skill based fighting mechanics and puts them in a vast open world environment. In many ways, these types of games paved the way for open world masterpieces such as the GTA and Assassin's Creed series. They are filled with secrets and unlockables and take place on world maps that are vast and expansive.

So imagine my pleasure when I decided to purchase and play through this gem of platforming. Guacamelee is the perfect homage to the classic action platformers of yore. Everything from the level design to the skills players can aquire, to the level of difficulty oozes old-school charm. This is in many ways a masterpiece of modern game design. Everything from the art direction to the music to the level design is a true work of art. Progression through the main storyline is mostly linear, though there is enough secrets and inaccessible areas on all levels that players will be encouraged to return to once they have the tools necessary to get to those secret goodies. Even then, there are secrets which require the player to really think and explore in order to access.

Combat is fast paced and fun and has an almost fighter-game feel to it. Combos can be chained seamlessly and players are encouraged to keep their combo meters rising and consistent as rewards increase the better a player fights. Boss battles are decidedly old-school, requiring trial and error, pattern recognition, and lighting-quick reflexes to master. The difficulty factor is certainly taken up a notch, which is a fresh change of pace in the modern day atmosphere of making players feel invincible. Even after the main storyline is complete there is content to explore.

About the only downside to the game is that some of the features are blocked by a pay-wall. I've heard that the gold edition provides all DLC in one package but as I only purchased the standard version, I will have to pay for any subsequent DLC.

This is one of the great surprises I've had while gaming over the past five years or so. Cross-buy makes the deal that much sweeter.

PROS: Fantastic level design, strong combat system, crisp graphics, colorful art direction, solid music, quirky and funny dialogue.

CONS: Some content locked behind a pay wall, difficulty may be too high for some, conventional plot.
  4. Jun 6, 2014
    It's fast, it's fun! The color pallet is awesome on vita. Easy buy. It has a little bit weird setting, which comes to life pretty fast through the story. I recommend this to anyone who wants a good metroid style game on vita.
  5. Mar 21, 2014
    The very best indie game I have ever played to date. This lovable game will take you back to the good times of Mario/Castlevania where you are fully engaged. My only knock is that it feels a bit short (without DLC's)
  6. Mar 18, 2014
    A game I can recommend to anyone who owns a Vita.
    Pretty graphics, very fun and varied combat and fun and challenging but (mainly) manageable platforming.
    Only negative point, there are 2 or 3 sequences where the platforming is really requiring you to make nearly impossible combinations on the main path, but otherwise a very enjoyable experience.
  7. Feb 13, 2014
    I'm still in the middle of the game. Playing it on both PS3 and Vita with cross save :). Guacamelee is awesome. Fantastic platformer game. Wonderful puzzles with platforms, dimensions and mazes.
    Enjoyable to play and sometimes the story scripts are really funny. No glitches so far. The game is both challenging and fun. I started this after playing the intense experience of BioShock Infinite. And so it is relaxing me and amusing me.
    I'm playing this as it came part of PS Plus subscription. But if you are a platform based games fan then this is a must game for you. It's amusing.
    If you got PS3 and Vita then you are gonna double enjoy this. On my way to work I play on vita. Then upload my progress to cloud. When back home, I download my progress continue then save and upload it again to continue the journey in the morning using vita :)
    This is a well deserved 9 out of 10.
  8. Jan 8, 2014
    Guacamelee! is an amazing platformer with that feel of old school platforming. It has a feel of countless of classics like Super Metroid mixed with Castlevania and other great games.

The only bad thing about this game is that I feel that the story is too short and can be finished relatively quickly, but other than that I urge people to buy this game and enjoy it to your heart's content.
  9. Dec 26, 2013
    This game really surprised me. I'm a big fan of beat'em-all games and,honestly,this game is pure fun. There's a lot of funny cameos. Cross-save feature is also very helpful. Though,I guess it still needs some stability sometimes,FPS number was acting crazy. A very nice game.
  10. Dec 21, 2013
    this game is the platforming game for vita. i love this game the best part is you only have to buy it once for ps3 and ps vita. the game looks great just as good as the ps3 verison your not losing anything here
  11. Oct 5, 2013
    All I can say is that it is the best Vita game out there at the moment. Its beautiful graphics, multiple possibilities and uniqueness make Guacamelee! a nearly perfect game. I was blown away when I first played the game. Never had I seen such beautiful environments as in this game. Want an amazing game for your Vita? Buy Guacamelee! The price is low and the quality is high. What more do you want?
  12. Sep 11, 2013
    Loads of fun, although the final boss is killing me!!@!#@!@$!#@$@#$!@#!@ A couple of times I had to switch to the ps3 version to get a bit more control, so I appreciated the cross-buy, cross-save, cross-stuffy. Great value.
  13. Aug 17, 2013
    First of all, Guacamelee is a great game. There are many side quests and easter eggs available on the game and, most important, it is fun as hell. But it's main history is a little short, I expected a longer one.
  14. Jun 28, 2013
    Gorgeous game, if you like platform is a must buy, fun, addictive and excellent gameplay and hilarious game story make this one of the best PSN games.
  15. Jun 10, 2013
    In Guacamelee! you will find a beautiful open world drawn with style accompanied by stylish music that will move you forward through entertaining fights to unfold the hilarious story until the end.
    And than you will come back.
  16. Jun 6, 2013
    Convincing characters, great art style, deep combat, zero glitches or bugs in my experience, and amazing Easter eggs, are just a few reasons why Guacamelee is one of the games of the year in my opinion.
  17. May 18, 2013
    An excellent mixture between Metroid and Castlevania SOTN, hard plataformer sections, a depurated system combat, and the graphic and musical experience are really stunnig. Although, some bugs and a short campaign get worse the global valoration.
  18. May 15, 2013
    Congratulations for a Drinkbox. This game have a fun and creativity as nintendo games. Mutant Blobs from space is a distant cousin from Guacameele! In fact dont make any comparisions. Guacameele! have other propose and all you need is a many hours free for enjoy this titlle.
  19. May 6, 2013
    If you own a Vita, this game is a must-have. Great graphics, amusing story and the gameplay is a delight. Even on normal difficulty it's challengin. This game can keep you busy well over 8 hours. The only problem is what to play next... not a great selection of Vita games lately.
  20. Apr 28, 2013
    This is an excellent game. It's very old-school in that, until you get the hang of each individual area, it will beat the crap out of you. The art style is awesome, the writing is well done and the gameplay is deeper than it looks at first. It is fairly short, but I still would recommend this game to absolutely anyone.
  21. Apr 23, 2013
    Guacamelee is a very fun metroidvania type game, the combat and platforming are solid and entertaining and the story is amusing. You get a good sense of progression as you move through the game and none of the enemies or obstacles seem to outstay their welcome.

The game does feel a bit short but it would be churlish to complain considering the value you get for your money. If you own a PS3 and a PS Vita you can play it on both as its crossplay/buy and it does have a fun co-op mode on the PS3, this essentially gives it a massive potential for replay. Cross save games are handy too, you can play on the PS3 then pick it up at the same place on the Vita and vice versa.

If you enjoy 2D platforming brawlers and own either a PS Vita or a PS3 you wont want to miss this.
  22. Apr 23, 2013
    Guacamelee! is a perfect example of a game that is more than the sum of its parts. It weaves together all its elements its Metroid-inspired level design and skill progression, its endearingly charming representation of Dia de los Muertos and its simple yet effective combat and controls and meshes them together to create something that stands out as a masterfully executed, well-roundedGuacamelee! is a perfect example of a game that is more than the sum of its parts. It weaves together all its elements its Metroid-inspired level design and skill progression, its endearingly charming representation of Dia de los Muertos and its simple yet effective combat and controls and meshes them together to create something that stands out as a masterfully executed, well-rounded package that pretty much accomplishes all it set out to do.

After consideration, I decided to put my review on its Vita page as that is where I ended up spending most of my time, though it's worth pointing out that both the Vita and PS3 versions are sublime, and they interact flawlessly, whether you're transferring saves over or using the Vita as a second controller for player 2 on the PS3. If you own either (or both!) of these consoles, you should really think about picking up Guacamelee!
  23. Apr 23, 2013
    Following a pair of Tales From Space titles, DrinkBox Studios has made a gem with deep roots in the old school, side scrolling, platformers. While inspired by such classics as the Castlevania and Metroid series, Guacamelee breathes new life into the once King genre with beautiful artwork, subtle RPG elements, modern internet humor, and a fluid combo-based combat system. This near perfectFollowing a pair of Tales From Space titles, DrinkBox Studios has made a gem with deep roots in the old school, side scrolling, platformers. While inspired by such classics as the Castlevania and Metroid series, Guacamelee breathes new life into the once King genre with beautiful artwork, subtle RPG elements, modern internet humor, and a fluid combo-based combat system. This near perfect game is a must buy for any indie gamer, Vita user or fan of some of the greatest games of all time. Expand
  24. Apr 17, 2013
    A week on from it's EU and US launch on the Playstation Store, Guacamelee is enjoying critical success, and for good reason, it's amazing. However, for anyone still sitting on the fence, I thought I'd chime in and add some brief impressions of my own.

Not only is Guacamelee a fabulous Metroidvania-style platformer with an emphasis on deeply satisfying 2D brawling, it get just about everything else right too! With beautiful art, a great soundtrack, nuanced platforming, and gameplay that's both challenging and savagely addictive, all the ingredients required to make a truly great video game are present and correct here. And with support for Sony's cross-buy service thrown in for good measure, DrinkBox's delicious side scroller represents stunning value too.

So we now know that it's a great game, but how does Guacamelee compare to similarly specced PSN titles from Playstation Vita's rapidly expanding library? In a word, well. Exceptionally well in fact. It's certainly classier and far more rounded than fellow 2D 'open world' adventure, Knytt Underground. It's more expansive and packs in much more content than DrinkBox's debut foray onto the Vita scene, Mutant Blobs Attack. And it provides a stiffer, more rewarding challenge than Rocketbirds. But perhaps most telling of all, it's even prettier than one of the very finest, most beautiful 2D platformers of this generation, Rayman Origins! While I don't doubt that many will find that last statement particularly controversial, that doesn't make it any less true.

And similarly to the escapades of Ubisofts limbless mascot in his latest Origins and Legends adventures, DrinkBox has created a wonderfully playful and utterly gorgeous, cartoon-themed world that's every bit as wonderfully unique as it is beautiful to behold.

Whether you're fourteen or forty, Guacamelee is an utterly compelling and absolutely essential download that represents Vita gaming at it's astonishing best. And if you hadn't guessed already, I simply cannot recommend it highly enough!

9.5 out of 10
  25. Apr 16, 2013
    AS this is a cross buy title i have it for both platforms but this excels as a vita title, a truly magnificent game. I loved the game and eth about it is awesome. Mutant blob was great drink box but this blows it out of the water. 9/10 all round i love the music.
  26. Apr 15, 2013
    A small gem of a game, that will grip you almost immediately grip you. Graphics are as good as you can expect from a 2d platformer/beat-em-up. Great style, great humor. Text balloons could have been more beautyfull designed, but that's only a minor complain. Feels just really satisfactory. If you can get all this for such a small price, i don't see that many reasons to not buy thisA small gem of a game, that will grip you almost immediately grip you. Graphics are as good as you can expect from a 2d platformer/beat-em-up. Great style, great humor. Text balloons could have been more beautyfull designed, but that's only a minor complain. Feels just really satisfactory. If you can get all this for such a small price, i don't see that many reasons to not buy this when you own a Vita. Expand
  27. Apr 14, 2013
    For a handheld game, it just works. It's fun, addictive and intuitive. It takes some metroid and only adds to it. The deliberately difficult portions function as such, but never get frustrating or boring. Needless to say, I love this game.
  28. Apr 11, 2013
    Everything you could want from a 2D exploration game Guacamelee delivers and more. Deep satisfying combat and combos, a beautiful art style and colorful characters, and a humorous and engaging story. Just as a concept or level starts to seem familiar they toss in a new power or obstacle to improve the experience ten fold. That coupled with an unbelievably brilliant level design leads to aEverything you could want from a 2D exploration game Guacamelee delivers and more. Deep satisfying combat and combos, a beautiful art style and colorful characters, and a humorous and engaging story. Just as a concept or level starts to seem familiar they toss in a new power or obstacle to improve the experience ten fold. That coupled with an unbelievably brilliant level design leads to a game that stays fresh for its complete entirety. If you just thought metroid, or castlevania were "OK" games then you'll still have a great time with this and at $15 dollars for two systems you really have no excuse not to give it a try. Collapse
  29. Apr 10, 2013
    Guacamelee! Is what you get when you put Super Metriod/Symphony of The Night, Saturday Night Slam Masters/Fire Pro Wrestling, Old School Super Mario/Mutant Blobs From Space, In a blender & hit puree.

Guacamelee is the Nintendo game I wish modern Nintendo games were. DrinkBox stays out Nintendoing Nintendo. With a billion times the flair & creativity. Both PS3 & Vita versions are

Both PS3 & Vita versions are identical with 2 platinum trophies cross save & cross buy. You may not utilize cross save since the game is so great you will have the urge to fully complete on both platforms.
    It's even better on Vita because you can play it anywhere & everywhere & you will
  30. Apr 9, 2013
    This game plays really well and the combat is surprisingly deep once you figure out how to perform some combos. There are a lot of references to other games and the game doesn't try to take itself seriously. You get the PS3 version and the Vita version for one price, which is always nice. I think the Vita is the preferable platform to play it on, as the game looks really good on the OLEDThis game plays really well and the combat is surprisingly deep once you figure out how to perform some combos. There are a lot of references to other games and the game doesn't try to take itself seriously. You get the PS3 version and the Vita version for one price, which is always nice. I think the Vita is the preferable platform to play it on, as the game looks really good on the OLED screen and you can pick up and play for short periods of time. Drinkbox Studios made another great game that, while on the short side, is worth your time and money. Expand
  31. Apr 11, 2013

1. Jun 10, 2013
    A vibrant, compact and ruthlessly difficult Metroidvania let down only slightly by its own (occasionally) insufferable self-awareness. [July 2013, p.81]
  2. May 21, 2013
    It plays like a dream, it's nice to look at, it can be funny as all get out and it just feels like the real deal, a complete experience just shy of masterpiece status.
  3. Easily one of the best downloadable titles on the Vita. Grab it pronto. [June 2013, p80]