8.5

1. Mar 21, 2014
    The very best indie game I have ever played to date. This lovable game will take you back to the good times of Mario/Castlevania where you are fully engaged. My only knock is that it feels a bit short (without DLC's)
  2. Mar 18, 2014
    A game I can recommend to anyone who owns a Vita.
    Pretty graphics, very fun and varied combat and fun and challenging but (mainly) manageable platforming.
    Only negative point, there are 2 or 3 sequences where the platforming is really requiring you to make nearly impossible combinations on the main path, but otherwise a very enjoyable experience.
  3. Feb 13, 2014
    I'm still in the middle of the game. Playing it on both PS3 and Vita with cross save :). Guacamelee is awesome. Fantastic platformer game. Wonderful puzzles with platforms, dimensions and mazes.
    Enjoyable to play and sometimes the story scripts are really funny. No glitches so far. The game is both challenging and fun. I started this after playing the intense experience of BioShock
    Infinite. And so it is relaxing me and amusing me.
    I'm playing this as it came part of PS Plus subscription. But if you are a platform based games fan then this is a must game for you. It's amusing.
    If you got PS3 and Vita then you are gonna double enjoy this. On my way to work I play on vita. Then upload my progress to cloud. When back home, I download my progress continue then save and upload it again to continue the journey in the morning using vita :)
    This is a well deserved 9 out of 10.
  4. Jan 8, 2014
    Guacamelee! is an amazing platformer with that feel of old school platforming. It has a feel of countless of classics like Super Metroid mixed with Castlevania and other great games.

The only bad thing about this game is that I feel that the story is too short and can be finished relatively quickly, but other than that I urge people to buy this game and enjoy it to your heart's content.
  5. Dec 26, 2013
    This game really surprised me. I'm a big fan of beat'em-all games and,honestly,this game is pure fun. There's a lot of funny cameos. Cross-save feature is also very helpful. Though,I guess it still needs some stability sometimes,FPS number was acting crazy. A very nice game.
  6. Dec 21, 2013
    this game is the platforming game for vita. i love this game the best part is you only have to buy it once for ps3 and ps vita. the game looks great just as good as the ps3 verison your not losing anything here
  7. Oct 5, 2013
    All I can say is that it is the best Vita game out there at the moment. Its beautiful graphics, multiple possibilities and uniqueness make Guacamelee! a nearly perfect game. I was blown away when I first played the game. Never had I seen such beautiful environments as in this game. Want an amazing game for your Vita? Buy Guacamelee! The price is low and the quality is high. What more do you want?
  8. Sep 11, 2013
    Loads of fun, although the final boss is killing me!!@!#@!@$!#@$@#$!@#!@ A couple of times I had to switch to the ps3 version to get a bit more control, so I appreciated the cross-buy, cross-save, cross-stuffy. Great value.
  9. Sep 10, 2013
    I can´t say i understand why this game has gotten so much positive publicity. Sure it´s a funny little platform´er, but that is really all it is! Guacamelee! is an example of a platform game done right, but here is no originality to make it stand out, like in other games like Braid or Limbo. My verdict is that Guacamelee! is a funny little platform game nothing more nothing less..
  10. Aug 23, 2013
    This game is super fun at first but the platforming gets harder. In other words, I do not recommend this game for young children or people like myself with the reflexes of young children. It got to a point where I just had to stop playing because it requires you to have quick reflexes to advance at a certain point.
  11. Aug 17, 2013
    First of all, Guacamelee is a great game. There are many side quests and easter eggs available on the game and, most important, it is fun as hell. But it's main history is a little short, I expected a longer one.
  12. Jul 28, 2013
    It's fun, it's great.. however a little shallow. I wish they would've focused more on the game itself than making references to other games/pop culture. It's a great game on its, so all of that just makes it more of a game about games than a game itself. Great controls, great music, great challenge though.
  13. Jun 28, 2013
    Gorgeous game, if you like platform is a must buy, fun, addictive and excellent gameplay and hilarious game story make this one of the best PSN games.
  14. Jun 10, 2013
    In Guacamelee! you will find a beautiful open world drawn with style accompanied by stylish music that will move you forward through entertaining fights to unfold the hilarious story until the end.
    And than you will come back.
  15. Jun 6, 2013
    Convincing characters, great art style, deep combat, zero glitches or bugs in my experience, and amazing Easter eggs, are just a few reasons why Guacamelee is one of the games of the year in my opinion.
  16. May 18, 2013
    An excellent mixture between Metroid and Castlevania SOTN, hard plataformer sections, a depurated system combat, and the graphic and musical experience are really stunnig. Although, some bugs and a short campaign get worse the global valoration.
  17. May 15, 2013
    Congratulations for a Drinkbox. This game have a fun and creativity as nintendo games. Mutant Blobs from space is a distant cousin from Guacameele! In fact dont make any comparisions. Guacameele! have other propose and all you need is a many hours free for enjoy this titlle.
  18. May 6, 2013
    If you own a Vita, this game is a must-have. Great graphics, amusing story and the gameplay is a delight. Even on normal difficulty it's challengin. This game can keep you busy well over 8 hours. The only problem is what to play next... not a great selection of Vita games lately.
  19. Apr 28, 2013
    This is an excellent game. It's very old-school in that, until you get the hang of each individual area, it will beat the crap out of you. The art style is awesome, the writing is well done and the gameplay is deeper than it looks at first. It is fairly short, but I still would recommend this game to absolutely anyone.
  20. Apr 23, 2013
    Guacamelee is a very fun metroidvania type game, the combat and platforming are solid and entertaining and the story is amusing. You get a good sense of progression as you move through the game and none of the enemies or obstacles seem to outstay their welcome.

The game does feel a bit short but it would be churlish to complain considering the value you get for your money. If you own a
    PS3 and a PS Vita you can play it on both as its crossplay/buy and it does have a fun co-op mode on the PS3, this essentially gives it a massive potential for replay. Cross save games are handy too, you can play on the PS3 then pick it up at the same place on the Vita and vice versa.

If you enjoy 2D platforming brawlers and own either a PS Vita or a PS3 you wont want to miss this.
  21. Apr 23, 2013
    Guacamelee! is a perfect example of a game that is more than the sum of its parts. It weaves together all its elements its Metroid-inspired level design and skill progression, its endearingly charming representation of Dia de los Muertos and its simple yet effective combat and controls and meshes them together to create something that stands out as a masterfully executed, well-rounded package that pretty much accomplishes all it set out to do.

After consideration, I decided to put my review on its Vita page as that is where I ended up spending most of my time, though it's worth pointing out that both the Vita and PS3 versions are sublime, and they interact flawlessly, whether you're transferring saves over or using the Vita as a second controller for player 2 on the PS3. If you own either (or both!) of these consoles, you should really think about picking up Guacamelee!
  22. Apr 23, 2013
    Following a pair of Tales From Space titles, DrinkBox Studios has made a gem with deep roots in the old school, side scrolling, platformers. While inspired by such classics as the Castlevania and Metroid series, Guacamelee breathes new life into the once King genre with beautiful artwork, subtle RPG elements, modern internet humor, and a fluid combo-based combat system. This near perfect game is a must buy for any indie gamer, Vita user or fan of some of the greatest games of all time. Expand
  23. Apr 17, 2013
    A week on from it's EU and US launch on the Playstation Store, Guacamelee is enjoying critical success, and for good reason, it's amazing. However, for anyone still sitting on the fence, I thought I'd chime in and add some brief impressions of my own.

Not only is Guacamelee a fabulous Metroidvania-style platformer with an emphasis on deeply satisfying 2D brawling, it get just about
    everything else right too! With beautiful art, a great soundtrack, nuanced platforming, and gameplay that's both challenging and savagely addictive, all the ingredients required to make a truly great video game are present and correct here. And with support for Sony's cross-buy service thrown in for good measure, DrinkBox's delicious side scroller represents stunning value too.

So we now know that it's a great game, but how does Guacamelee compare to similarly specced PSN titles from Playstation Vita's rapidly expanding library? In a word, well. Exceptionally well in fact. It's certainly classier and far more rounded than fellow 2D 'open world' adventure, Knytt Underground. It's more expansive and packs in much more content than DrinkBox's debut foray onto the Vita scene, Mutant Blobs Attack. And it provides a stiffer, more rewarding challenge than Rocketbirds. But perhaps most telling of all, it's even prettier than one of the very finest, most beautiful 2D platformers of this generation, Rayman Origins! While I don't doubt that many will find that last statement particularly controversial, that doesn't make it any less true.

And similarly to the escapades of Ubisofts limbless mascot in his latest Origins and Legends adventures, DrinkBox has created a wonderfully playful and utterly gorgeous, cartoon-themed world that's every bit as wonderfully unique as it is beautiful to behold.

Whether you're fourteen or forty, Guacamelee is an utterly compelling and absolutely essential download that represents Vita gaming at it's astonishing best. And if you hadn't guessed already, I simply cannot recommend it highly enough!

9.5 out of 10
  24. Apr 16, 2013
    AS this is a cross buy title i have it for both platforms but this excels as a vita title, a truly magnificent game. I loved the game and eth about it is awesome. Mutant blob was great drink box but this blows it out of the water. 9/10 all round i love the music.
  25. Apr 15, 2013
    A small gem of a game, that will grip you almost immediately grip you. Graphics are as good as you can expect from a 2d platformer/beat-em-up. Great style, great humor. Text balloons could have been more beautyfull designed, but that's only a minor complain. Feels just really satisfactory. If you can get all this for such a small price, i don't see that many reasons to not buy this when you own a Vita. Expand
  26. Apr 14, 2013
    For a handheld game, it just works. It's fun, addictive and intuitive. It takes some metroid and only adds to it. The deliberately difficult portions function as such, but never get frustrating or boring. Needless to say, I love this game.
  27. Apr 11, 2013
    Everything you could want from a 2D exploration game Guacamelee delivers and more. Deep satisfying combat and combos, a beautiful art style and colorful characters, and a humorous and engaging story. Just as a concept or level starts to seem familiar they toss in a new power or obstacle to improve the experience ten fold. That coupled with an unbelievably brilliant level design leads to a game that stays fresh for its complete entirety. If you just thought metroid, or castlevania were "OK" games then you'll still have a great time with this and at $15 dollars for two systems you really have no excuse not to give it a try. Expand
  28. Apr 10, 2013
    Guacamelee! Is what you get when you put Super Metriod/Symphony of The Night, Saturday Night Slam Masters/Fire Pro Wrestling, Old School Super Mario/Mutant Blobs From Space, In a blender & hit puree.

Guacamelee is the Nintendo game I wish modern Nintendo games were. DrinkBox stays out Nintendoing Nintendo. With a billion times the flair & creativity.

Both PS3 & Vita versions are
    identical with 2 platinum trophies cross save & cross buy. You may not utilize cross save since the game is so great you will have the urge to fully complete on both platforms.
    It's even better on Vita because you can play it anywhere & everywhere & you will
  29. Apr 9, 2013
    This game plays really well and the combat is surprisingly deep once you figure out how to perform some combos. There are a lot of references to other games and the game doesn't try to take itself seriously. You get the PS3 version and the Vita version for one price, which is always nice. I think the Vita is the preferable platform to play it on, as the game looks really good on the OLED screen and you can pick up and play for short periods of time. Drinkbox Studios made another great game that, while on the short side, is worth your time and money. Expand
  30. Apr 10, 2013

Both PS3 & Vita versions are

1. Jun 10, 2013
    A vibrant, compact and ruthlessly difficult Metroidvania let down only slightly by its own (occasionally) insufferable self-awareness. [July 2013, p.81]
  2. May 21, 2013
    It plays like a dream, it's nice to look at, it can be funny as all get out and it just feels like the real deal, a complete experience just shy of masterpiece status.
  3. Easily one of the best downloadable titles on the Vita. Grab it pronto. [June 2013, p80]