Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f PlayStation Vita

7.9

1. Mar 20, 2014
    New generation, new graphics : the technical leap is astonishing. Sure, it’s not perfect, as I noticed some rough textures and a few bugs in Diva Room. But honestly, there’s never been something that neat on a handheld. The devs really gave their best in making the PVs. They were excellent on PSP, they’re close to perfect on PSVita. Sadistic Music Factory, Flowery Battle of the KagaminesNew generation, new graphics : the technical leap is astonishing. Sure, it’s not perfect, as I noticed some rough textures and a few bugs in Diva Room. But honestly, there’s never been something that neat on a handheld. The devs really gave their best in making the PVs. They were excellent on PSP, they’re close to perfect on PSVita. Sadistic Music Factory, Flowery Battle of the Kagamines for example have such a strong identity that I never have enough of it. Similarly, the track list is wonderful. Nearly every single music is a surefire hit. Unhappy Refrain, Secret Police, World’s End Dancehall or Remocon to cite a few, provide a immense pleasure. I just wonder how this NyaNya thing landed here, because I looks like noise an not music (the PV is really impressive though). It’s so good that I would have wanted more than the 32 available (there were 40 on PSP).

As for the gameplay, it’s still a musical game in which you have to press the buttons following the tempo, but there are a few new things in this iteration. An additional button appears, which is in fact the touchscreen. The Technical Zone is a limited number of buttons within a music that can reward precious percentage points if you make a perfect. Last but not least, you will trigger a special and more spectacular ending if you succeed during the Chance Time.

Even if it was already on PSP, the Diva Room returns in an enhanced form, thanks to the refined graphics and the touchscreen. More than reality TV, it becomes a sort of dating sim, and a pretty nice one for that matters. Every character has a friend level that goes up and down depending on your actions (presents, etc.). Miku and the others have somewhat limited base actions and you will have to spend your DP in some items to get more variety. I personnally preferred the random event system that we had in Extend.

The AR mode allows you to insert Miku in your daily life. The AR camera is already cool, but the AR live is even more exciting : fans rush across a country to see a Hatsune Miku concert, but now you can have your own private session at home!

There’s one last key-element : difficulty. I had the occasion to try the game during my stay in Japan, but the normal mode didn’t last long. I’m really happy with the final product, because the hard mode has been almost perfectly set. In between 2nd and Extend, most songs put pressure without being discouraging. Unhappy Refrain, Remocon or Sadistic Factory are hard as hell, just like Rolling Girl and Uraomote Lovers were. It depends on the player though, some probably have cleared the extreme mode already…

More beautiful than ever, more addicting and richer, Project Diva f is concentrated fun like you seldom have. It fully benefits from Vita’s capabilities and sublimates the concept born on PSP.
  2. Mar 5, 2014
    This game features huge improvements over the PSP games. In fact,the PS3 version is exactly the same,just with AR features and the need of DLC pack. The game is really enjoyable and a lot of rhythm game maniacs are about to love it.
    Though,even it doesn't have true slowdowns, the 3d render on vita isn't polished the same as PS3. The trophies are also separated between PS3/PSVITA and every single DLC is cross-buy. So this is a really nice game. You won't loose $30 at all,though it took a lot of time to make it overseas.
  3. Mar 11, 2014
    I was interested but skeptical when I first saw the trailer for this game. I saw the demo on the store and figured I'd give it a try as I like rhythm games. I must say that it is a lot of fun. While playing the demo I was having trouble clearing songs on normal, so it is a bit difficult, although I enjoy the challenge. I can definitely say this game will not be for everyone but you mightI was interested but skeptical when I first saw the trailer for this game. I saw the demo on the store and figured I'd give it a try as I like rhythm games. I must say that it is a lot of fun. While playing the demo I was having trouble clearing songs on normal, so it is a bit difficult, although I enjoy the challenge. I can definitely say this game will not be for everyone but you might as well try the demo to see if you like it and if not no harm done and your wallet will thank you.

TL;DR Try the demo first :P
  4. Mar 11, 2014
    This is a niche game. It's not meant for the masses, especially in America. I personally like this game because I've always wanted to play a music based game without using an instrument and these type of games (rhythm) are a perfect match for me.

I like anime, I like Japanese games, I like music based games...wallah perfect game for me. I played this on the PS3 but I didn't play that

I played this on the PS3 but I didn't play that much. I feel that this game is perfect on a handheld. The 5" screen isn't too large to the point where it's hard to keep along. Best part is that you don't have to worry about input lag since almost all of these vita screens are similar when it comes to input lag.

Pros:
    -Fun
    -Addicting
    -Casual (I can take my Vita out of my bag and play this game when I have some free time. Just simply turn on Vita, and resume playing...better than a smartphone).
    -Pretty anime (warning, it will distract you...if you want to watch the videos then select watch music videos)

Cons:
    -The scratching icon (rear or touch) can be pretty tiring, I wish that they let you use the joystick like on the PS3
    -Game can be at times a bit choppy (not to the point where it will mess you up but I notice things like that).
  5. Apr 11, 2014
    Beautiful visuals and good music makes this game a great game for gamers, who love rhythm games.
    They have improved the game-play and visuals from the psp version and now it's perfect.
    For me, it's the first game of the genre for the PSV and I love it. I played it 50 hours so far and I think I am addicted to it. I recommend it for everybody, who still needs a great game for the PSV.
    I recommend it for everybody, who still needs a great game for the PSV.
    There is also a PS3 version, but the handheld version is better. There is no input lag.
    But if you are a graphics whore, you should buy the PS3 version.
    I am a graphics whore. I have both versions and totally worth it.
  6. Apr 22, 2014
    The First US release of a Project Diva game and the first to land on the PS Vita. This game really is a huge improvement compared to the highly addictive Project Diva and Project Diva 2nd games, which were already extremely enjoyable. This game features the classic rhythm mode in which you try to hit the notes when the symbol reaches the mark while a song goes on. The songs in the game areThe First US release of a Project Diva game and the first to land on the PS Vita. This game really is a huge improvement compared to the highly addictive Project Diva and Project Diva 2nd games, which were already extremely enjoyable. This game features the classic rhythm mode in which you try to hit the notes when the symbol reaches the mark while a song goes on. The songs in the game are all excellent and unique in their own way. There is the Diva Room in which you play around with the Vocaloid characters. It is quite entertaining and a step up from Project Diva 2nd. Another new aspect of the game is Edit Mode. You get to make your own music video along with a rhythm level. You can use your own music or the game's music. This gives the game more hours of fun. Overall, Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F is a flawless game (In my opinion). I am very excited for the American release of Project Diva F 2nd, and I might not be able to wait and end up buying the Japanese release of it. I recommend this to anyone who loves the Vocaloids or rhythm games in general. Expand
  7. Apr 21, 2014
    the same great game as the PS3 version, only for slightly less money and on a handheld. unfortunately, it also, doesn't have the english lyric translations, as the PS3 version, which is only slightly disappointing. the songs are good, and the game is solid.
  8. Mar 8, 2014
    With beautiful visuals and a excellent library of songs, Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- F is one of the best in the series. Though honestly, I wished it (and the entire series in general) would be on Nintendo consoles as it would actually be fitting and that it got rid of the some of the provocative materials so it get at an E10+.
  9. Mar 9, 2014
    Presentation-wise, Project Diva f for PS Vita is almost identical to it's PS3 counterpart: it shares the same songs (with the extra songs that can be unlocked on PS3 being $10 DLC on Vita), the same charts, the same menues, etc. Other than some sporadic slow-downs it runs fairly well.

The major problem with this version, however, is the notes in all of the charts appear later than they should. The timing window for getting a perfect judgement for any given note is shifted significantly after its corresponding musical cue. While on lower levels this may not be game breaking, once you hit 6+ it turns into a *very* big issue, and makes 9s/10s pretty much unplayable. The music off-set setting was removed from this version of the game as well, so those who bought it are basically SOL unless Sega decides to push down a patch for it.

To be frank, it's more than a little disappointing. how this got past QA is beyond me.
  10. May 25, 2015
    Pros:
    Music selection
    Default song maps are very good
    Difficulty is perfect

Cons:
    Have to look online to figure out some challenges
    Many challenges are too difficult
    Don't even need to do rubbing screen mechanic properly, just rub the screen like crazy and you get every note
  11. Jul 10, 2016
    Hatsune MIku is quite good music game for PS VITA, although I have to say I enjoyed more P4D. Graphics are quite good but in my opinion Hatsune should look more realistic, anyway the game looks fine. Gameplay is quite good but P4D's game system is just slightly better. I didn't like difficulty balance in HM, easy difficult is too easy and higher ones are too hard. P4D's game system is evenHatsune MIku is quite good music game for PS VITA, although I have to say I enjoyed more P4D. Graphics are quite good but in my opinion Hatsune should look more realistic, anyway the game looks fine. Gameplay is quite good but P4D's game system is just slightly better. I didn't like difficulty balance in HM, easy difficult is too easy and higher ones are too hard. P4D's game system is even more colorful and just look and work better. Songs here are good but definitely not amazing. Hatsune Miku is not bad music game, I would recommend it to everyone who likes this genre.

Graphic - 8
    Gameplay - 7
    Lasting Appeal - 7
    Execution - 8

Overall - 7,5
  12. Mar 5, 2014

1. Oct 23, 2014
    If you are a Hatsune Miku fan… well, you already bought this game. If you’re a fan of rhythm games in general, this is one of the best around and very much worth recommending.
  2. Games Master UK
    May 4, 2014
    A guilty pleasure for many. [June 2014, p.79]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 27, 2014
    Load times are an issue, but this tap-dancer proves to be pretty, and pretty taxing. [May 2014, p83]