Jet Set Radio PlayStation Vita

6.6

1. Jan 23, 2013
    While beautiful, Jet Set Radio lacks a really addictive gameplay that other games similar manage. Still. Jet Set Radio is an excellent game if you are into this genre and looks amazing.
  2. Feb 27, 2013
    With gorgeous cel-shaded artwork and a terrific soundtrack, Jet Set Radio could have been a real winner. Unfortunately however, even these can't make up for gameplay mediocrity and sloppy controls. Only recommended for those looking to indulge in a little nostalgia. The vast majority of everyone else should probably stay well clear.
  3. Sep 2, 2015
    I have never played the original, meaning nostalgia was not a factor for me. Nostalgia i really needed to smooth over the problems this game has. It is a product of its time and inaccessible to new players.

The gameplay is extremely frustrating. The controls lack the precision required to complete a stage without great difficulty. If the controls were tight the game would be fantastic and the addictiveness would go through the roof instead of the players frustration. Precision movement is needed for a game like this and it isn't there at all. Pardon the pun but it makes the game a real grind. To make it all worse you are constantly hounded by police forces knocking you over and draining your Heath.

On the upside the music is fantastic. The DJ, professor K is marvellous and an effective narrater channeling the influence of the Warriors which is present throughout. The world is similarly well crafted and visualised presenting a cool future Tokyo full of life and colour. The cell shaded graphics suit the futuristic and weird Japan perfectly and really meshes with the soundtrack well. Only letdown is the clunky character design, again that comes with its age. Also more voice work would also have aided characterisation.

The story is light, fun and very Japanese. You are a young 'rude' skater who forms a new gang, pitting you against the 3 rival gangs. The gangs are extremely well presented again inspired by the exaggerated style of The Warriors. All the gangs have different and distinct regions that represents different times of day. The levels are extremely well designed, making the gameplay even more frustrating.

The performance overall on the Vita is good but not perfect. It is a bit choppy in areas and the music cuts in and out occasionally. Furthermore the menus are a bit slow and clunky. Overall its very manageable.

Jet Set Radio is a pleasure for the eyes and ears but is really let down by its gameplay. It comes from a different age and it really shows.
  4. Feb 9, 2014
    I got this game because of a game called The World Ends With You for NDS and it reminded me of it. Having played it now I consider it a good game. Graphics look like a comic sort of style and soundtrack is as almost like if someone mixed soundtracks of the Persona games and made into a sort of British-style beats. Roller-skating part is good as well as the graffiti making. I would say thisI got this game because of a game called The World Ends With You for NDS and it reminded me of it. Having played it now I consider it a good game. Graphics look like a comic sort of style and soundtrack is as almost like if someone mixed soundtracks of the Persona games and made into a sort of British-style beats. Roller-skating part is good as well as the graffiti making. I would say this is a game for those who crave something very Japanese and weird. Also would recommend it to those who have played the early BMX and Tony Hawks games because its got those sort of physics. Expand
  5. NT1
    Feb 11, 2013
    Although the soundtrack is great, the graphics are a bit dull. I've never played the game before on the Dreamcast so no nostalgic feelings for me. The gameplay is fun but I had the feeling something was missing the whole time. Great effort though.
  6. Oct 5, 2015
    The gameplay is ABYSMAL. Even by old standards this is absolutely terrible. Inaccurate, clumsy, unresponsive. The graphics, soundtrack really tie in together which makes it for a "cool" experience. I like this game but it is so frustrating most of the times. Making your own grafittis is pretty fun. I can't understand how this game is famous, but at the same time I can see the appeal. TheThe gameplay is ABYSMAL. Even by old standards this is absolutely terrible. Inaccurate, clumsy, unresponsive. The graphics, soundtrack really tie in together which makes it for a "cool" experience. I like this game but it is so frustrating most of the times. Making your own grafittis is pretty fun. I can't understand how this game is famous, but at the same time I can see the appeal. The most fun you'll have with an absolute garbage of a game. Expand
  7. Jan 12, 2016
    An Absolutely Fantastic game with AWESOME soundtracks, visuals and characters witch are all just damn fun to play with. Unique and diverse levels taking place in either Japan or America.
    The only reason why i dont give this game a 10 is because the story is kinda short and after that there is isnt really much to do but some challenges however. its an absolute fantastic experience
  8. Dec 14, 2012
    I had not ever played the original when it was released on the Dreamcast. I got it for free from PS+ and the game is actually pretty fun. The graphics are decent for an HD Remake, the music is good but the main issue here is the controls. They are not very precise and can be difficult to deal with at times. This is a limitation of the original game I am sure so if you played it andI had not ever played the original when it was released on the Dreamcast. I got it for free from PS+ and the game is actually pretty fun. The graphics are decent for an HD Remake, the music is good but the main issue here is the controls. They are not very precise and can be difficult to deal with at times. This is a limitation of the original game I am sure so if you played it and enjoyed, I am sure you will like this as well. It is a good handheld game since the levels can be knocked out quick. Overall it was a good experience playing through on the Vita, especially since it did not cost me anything because of PS+. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Jan 7, 2013
    Jet Set Radio HD got old, but we are talking about a title still able to entertain and enthrall all those who could accept compromises with its gameplay.
  2. Nov 28, 2012
    Ideal for those who love the original game, but those who are not comfortable with "old" playable schemes should try it before making up their minds.