7.2

1. Sep 4, 2013
    Let's get this out of the way: Kickbeat is a classic beat-matching rhythm game. If you don't like those, you probably won't like this one, either. It will kick your butt until you get used to the controls and the novel way that the rhythm cues appear. And like other beat-matching games, it becomes a "Zen" (haha) experience once you've developed enough skill to play at high difficultyLet's get this out of the way: Kickbeat is a classic beat-matching rhythm game. If you don't like those, you probably won't like this one, either. It will kick your butt until you get used to the controls and the novel way that the rhythm cues appear. And like other beat-matching games, it becomes a "Zen" (haha) experience once you've developed enough skill to play at high difficulty levels and feel like a total badass.

The things that KickBeat does differently is that instead of a note highway or other stuff slapped on top of the action in the background, the fighting action IS the note highway. Each enemy comes from one of 4 directions, and you press the button for that direction when the enemy is close enough. In the easiest difficulty level, there are icons on the ground that light up when the enemy can be hit. This helps you get used to the positioning and the controls. But at higher difficulty levels, they are gone, so don't get too used to them. (Note: the icons show the X/Square/O/Triangle buttons, but you can also use the d-pad with your left hand too, which helps when there's lots of enemies.) There's also a double-tap control to collect powerups and chained enemies where you hold the button down for the first one and let go for the second.

Even though the controls seem pretty simple, like other rhythm games, it's about how they're matched to the music that makes it interesting. Punching guys to the beat feels really good and it's surprising that this is the first game to do it (that I know of). When the difficulty ramps up and your guy is flying around destroying mobs of enemies while the heavy, aggressive soundtrack blasts out at you, it gets your blood pumping and your fingers flying. It's like playing out a fight scene from a movie.

The other cool part of the game is the Beat Your Music mode where you can use your own music in the game. I've tried a few songs and some worked really well, but some older ones where the beat wasn't steady got off track and weren't as fun. Electronic music and rap generally works best since it's easier to tap out the beat and it doesn't usually change beat since it's done with computers and drum machines. The tracks that it makes aren't quite as good as the ones in the game that were done by hand but it's still awesome to have an unlimited supply of songs in the game. This is the first game that I know of since Dance Factory to let you use your own music in a beat-matching game (Audiosurf isn't beat matching, though it is still cool) and I have to give them props for how well they made it work, even with its limitations.

Overall you can tell that they wanted to do something new with the rhythm genre and give the game lots of replay value, and they succeeded. There are a few flaws like some of the note charts I think are off in places, and having to unlock everything, but all in all it's a very satisfying game if you are willing to put the time and effort in to get past the initial learning curve. I would give the game an 8.5 or 9 normally but because of the innovative approach and the fact that they tried something original in a genre I love, I'm giving them some bonus points.
  2. Sep 9, 2013
    This game is awesome! I've always wanted a fighting rhythm game that was good. I love the songs, gameplay, and simple yet nice story. Nice game modes too such as free play, survival, story mode with a unlock able character, very challenging difficulty modes, and even a music generator where you can fight to tracks you make! This game is awesome and fun on both systems but I prefer it inThis game is awesome! I've always wanted a fighting rhythm game that was good. I love the songs, gameplay, and simple yet nice story. Nice game modes too such as free play, survival, story mode with a unlock able character, very challenging difficulty modes, and even a music generator where you can fight to tracks you make! This game is awesome and fun on both systems but I prefer it in the go so you can kick the crap outta fools to some catchy rock, rap, techno tunes! Expand
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    This just impressed me so much, it was exactly what i wanted and more.

The beat your music generator rocked, too.

Lets see, awesome story, amazing graphics, cheap price, fun gameplay...

This game rocks!

Totally buy it.
  4. Oct 5, 2013
    Awesome game. The graphics are good, the controls are good as well and the music.. Well the music is awesome! If you want a good Vita game for when you're travelling, you're on vacation or you just want something new I recommend KickBeat. Sure, it's not something everyone will like, for example, I wasn't really into these rhythm games, but Zen Studios changed my mind! KickBeat also hasAwesome game. The graphics are good, the controls are good as well and the music.. Well the music is awesome! If you want a good Vita game for when you're travelling, you're on vacation or you just want something new I recommend KickBeat. Sure, it's not something everyone will like, for example, I wasn't really into these rhythm games, but Zen Studios changed my mind! KickBeat also has extremely beautiful cut scenes and lots of modes. In the Kick Your Beat mode, you can even integrate your own songs.

It's not the best game out there, but definitely a great game for its genre and platform.
  5. Nov 25, 2015
    KickBeat does get off to an awkward start. However once the mechanics click it's hard to put down this addicting rhythm game. Both the action and soundtrack are awesome. Multiple difficulty levels and other modes are sure to keep people coming back.

It's an interesting combination of brawler and rhythm mechanics that ultimately doesn't deviate too much from what most expect from the genre. You are still pressing buttons to follow the onscreen prompts to stay in tune with the beat, but the flashy action keep things more involving than they otherwise would be. With each color of enemy representing a different patter type (red enemies attack in pairs and blue quickly follow one another) there is a little bit more going on to keep gamers more directly involved in the action. The difficulty also helps with this. It offers a satisfying challenge that's fun to master on higher difficulties.

The tracks themselves are a particular highlight. Most rhythm games are more pop-oriented. KickBeat however features electronic rock, rap rock, and even a little metal. Artists like Pendulum, Blue Stahli, and Celldweller accentuate the action well. I just wish there were more tracks included.

The game has two story modes with different characters. The second campaign just serves as a way to finish up the story. However the only new content outside of a second character are the new cutscenes. You play through the same levels with the same tracks. Playing through the same levels isn't so bad, but I was disappointed to find out that the second campaign didn't add more tracks.

The story itself isn't the deepest thing out there, but it's got enough humor and charm to make me actually want to playthrough it all again to see how things played out. Even if they gameplay and music were exactly the same as the first time around.

While it hasn't got the largest collection of songs, what's here is still enjoyable enough to keep you going through the multiple modes and difficulty setting. With the story being so brief it's not hard to think that the game is light on content. However you are getting quite a bit for $9.99 should you attempt to truly master it.

Rhythm gaming has rarely been more exciting or action-packed. Kicking butt to some energetic tunes is a blast. Even if it's a little bit light on content this a great pickup on Vita. It's fresh, exciting, and most importantly fun. Truly one of the most addicting rhythm games I've played and it has a great theme to boot.

1. Oct 25, 2013
    For rhythm fans who want something different and a little tougher, Kickbeat is worth checking out.
  2. Oct 15, 2013
    Martial artistry set to music will have you kicking to the beat.
  3. Oct 7, 2013
    I hate to be down on a small title trying to do something different and interesting, but I just couldn't get over the fact that Kickbeat felt more like a work in progress rather than something that was ready for prime time. With a better, more varied soundtrack and a little more exploration of how the martial arts theme could be applied to expanding the current game design, a sequel should be a real knockout. I genuinely hope the dev team gets the chance to make it.