• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Sep 10, 2013
9.0

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Once again some of the critics are slating this game. One giving it a pathetic 55! What a moron. This game is epic reviews like that destroy the games chance and sales. I have finished the campaign except for the extra side missions and have been playing the multiplayer daily. The campaign is great just wish it was a bit longer but with the covert side missions adds extra playability. The graphics are superb the best on the vita by far it comes close to ps3 quality the multiplayer is great and addictive and I have not experienced any lag. All in all this is the best vita game and first person shooter on a handheld. Don't listen to some of these so called critics who probably aren't true gamers that are giving it ridiculously low scores. If your after great graphics controls gameplay and lots of replay you won't be disappointed. Expand
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    Simply the best AAA game on my Vita right now. The SP is packed with content like different objectives and hidden Intel, the AI is smart as ever, the MP is fast, fun and addictive and most of all, It looks, runs and feels just like KZ2/3.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    As of the time I'm writing this the critic average is 78. The User average is 9.8. That is a HUGE difference. I bought own the game and I can say that it will NOT disappoint. Disregard the silly critic reviews that (STILL) compare Vita games to PS3 games. If PS3 games are not penalized for not being portable, Vita games shouldn't be penalized for not matching their console counterparts. It's simply unfair. Killzone Mercenary is the best PORTABLE First Person Shooter ever. Ever. It is also one of the most beautiful portable games ever made. Multiplayer is a blast. The campaign is a lot of fun. It's simply a top-tier, Triple-A title that shouldn't be missed. Period. Expand
  4. Sep 10, 2013
    Its been a long time since all the Vita owners have been waiting for a great FPS to show up on their handheld consoles, after all the disappointment that we all had from COD finally Sony has brought to us a game worthy of time and money.
    Killzone Mercenary is the second spin off of the Killzone Series, the story takes place somewhere in between of killzone 2 n 3 and in game we are working
    as a mercenary for both ISA and helghans in which each level in game we have given a task by a client. Honestly the story is more fun that it was in Killzone 3. It has interesting events in it and sure its worth the time. The single player mode consist of 9 levels which can be completed in 4-6 hours depend on the player skill and difficulty level. each level in game has been designed in the way that it does not really forces you to do what the games tell you so, there are secondary objectives which you can approach to and also the way you approach to each given task will be up2u. depend on the equipment the player chooses they go and assault the enemy with heavy weapons, or they can go stealth or even you choose to stay far and do sniping. so actually each level is worth of repeating specially when we get to have different equipments. Now the interesting part of the game is that every choice we make in killing the enemy will give us amount of money which will be used to purchase the different types guns, armors and Vanguards and secondary guns or grenades and stuff. this makes the game so enjoyable that encourages the player to repeat the single player missions. Furthermore upon completing each campaign level 3 mew contracts will be opened for each level in which each of them will give certain instruction on how to end the mission and they will require different guns and equipments. The multiple layer design of single player really shines, and if you really want to go ahead and complete all the contracts and open up all the stuff will take you roughly about 10 hours .
    The multiplayer part is another awesome part of the killzone. sure the hardware limitations does affects the multiplayer but actually its hell of a fun. each map can consist of maximum 8 players and there are 3 modes to choose from. the multiplayer will give you valor cards which is fun to collect all of them. the multiplayer is sure fast paced and existing of van gaurds even makes it much more fun .
    now the V-guards are really new thing to killzone series, they allow u to apply certain special efects such as shield, sky fury, invisibility to apply to your character and it makes the gameplay everytime different in both multi and single player.
    finally I have to say technically this game is impressive. it is running on the Killzone 3 engine so as we have expected the graphics are awesome. The textures may not be as detailed as uncharted but in the other hand the shadows and lightings are awesome and i can say there is no match with it. Most of the models specially guns and really detailed and characters model are awesome. the smoke effects are still good however we should not expect to handle like ps3 versions but the blood effect is still unique and quiet realistic. finally I can say its one of the best graphics we have ever seen on a handheld console.
    the controls are very well designed for vita. fortunately it does not feel as heavy as even killzone 3, since it is a portable version it feels a little bit more smooth which is awesome.
    Overall there are some flaws with this game but I should say killzone mercenary does deliver the promise of a real shooter for vita and i believe no vita owner should pass it ,it is a must and i am pretty sure it will be entertaining for a long time.
  5. Sep 10, 2013
    I finished it today on the train. In my opinion this game is on the same sort of level as games like Infamous: Festival of Blood or Ratchet Quest for Booty. It is a bite sized version of it's bigger brothers and I feel that if this game were to come to PS3 it would be well received as that. Killzone Mercenary is the exact thing that I was looking for from the vita: A bite sized version of a console game, not a 'mobile' game.

The only negative I have is waiting for the multiplayer patch that the developers have promised, because I do get kicked.

All in all this is an amazing Vita game. The graphics are better than any other, and even the audio is great. (Something that Vita games seem to struggle with) The story is good for a shooter with some good plot twists and some like-able and hate-able characters. Game play feels like Killzone and it is very interesting to get upgrade points for your multiplayer load out from single player. Even when there is no internet I can grind away to my next unlock.
  6. Sep 10, 2013
    playing this game makes you marvel at the level gaming has reached. The game immerses you with spectacular graphics, engaging environments and authentic gameplay... and this could be ANYWHERE! in the back seat of a car or on the train... If there is a game that your Vita deserves... it is Killzone Mercenaries.
  7. Sep 10, 2013
    This game is...
    - the best looking handheld game ever
    - the best first person shooter handheld game
    - the best shooter in general on a handheld
    - the best online multi-player for a handheld
    Killzone mercenary is a must buy for vita owners. Its a game that may even be a good reason to buy a vita. Its an amazing fps on a portable device. Hell, its simply a great game in general.
  8. Sep 10, 2013
    Now this game is a 9, but i'm giving it a 10 because all who own a Vita and has just a slight interest in First person shooters, should DEFINITELY BUY THIS! Campaign is pretty short, but it's fantastic and thrilling with tons of replay value, while the multiplayer is just perfectly balanced and a lot of fun. This is the greatest "triple-A" experience on a handheld ever by a mile, and also it's much cheaper than your normal triple-A game. This is a fantastic shooter, very addicting and in my opinion the best Killzone so far. Reviewers who gave this a 7 or 5 should have considered the games price and the fact it's on a handheld, this game is worthy of a much more postive metacritic score, as this game is an evolution when it comes to handheld gaming. If you're just moderately interested in shooters, this is a must buy and for all Killzone fans it's worth buying a Vita just for this game! Buy it! And ignore the ridicilous reviewers who gave it 5's, 6's and 7's because they compared it to titanfall and cod, those gamers are twice as expenisve and aren't handheld, if you consider those two factors this is one fantastic shooter you can NOT miss! Expand
  9. Sep 10, 2013
    This game is simply a must buy for all Vita owners. Everything about this game is groundbreaking for a handheld console, the ps3 quality graphics (online videos do not do it justice), the amazing addictive gameplay and cash system, the very well implemented controls or the truly console quality multiplayer.
  10. Sep 10, 2013
    I was really surprised with the visuals of this game, Killzone Mercenary beats in a far distance previous two FPS on the Vita, yet it is the best handheld or portable FPS game i played (I admit it is even better then the NOVA or Modern Combat fot the android).The main story is about 4h but after that, there are three modes that give new jobs with different approaches. For those who are focused on MP get ready to really addictive gameplay, 4v4 MP you could say it not much but the opposite is the truth, its really stunning. KZ can have some technical issues but they are really small and and most people do not even notice it. For every body who has or wants buys a PS Vita, this is a must have GAME, KZ Mercenary is this year PS Vita killer app. And for those who gave KZ:M score 5 from 10 are not normal cause this game cant have less then 8. This game brings a really stunning graphic, experience, good control on triggers, buttons and the touch controls. Expand
  11. Sep 10, 2013
    Killzone Mercenary is way better than the previous two FPS in VITA(Resistance, Call Of Duty).It is better than I was expected. Gameplay looks stunning, great visual, textures,sounds,music and graphics. Also, the touch screen is used well, although you can use the buttons instead. The game, on the other hand, have some minor cons such as the too small campaign(about 10 hours, not re playable more than 1 times), not so interesting and uninspired story furthermore I had some problems with the coverage system and it's difficult to aim right(at least the first hours of gameplay). The multiplayer part have lots of fun and gives you an overstock experience. Finishing, the game looks brilliant and it have nothing to loose from console version of the series. My exact rating is 8.5, may i look a bit strict because I have to tell both pros and cons, but the game gained me totally(from BETA stage). I recommend it to all PSVita users. Expand
  12. Sep 10, 2013
    A masterpiece 10 out of 10!
    A Beautiful and fast paced FPS. Single player is so much fun and you want more by the end of it lucky there is heaps of weapons to unlock with the in game you earn for killing and picking up items. As for multiplayer what can i say IT'S A Blast.

If you own a vita or are thinking of buying on now is the time!
  13. Sep 10, 2013
    This game pushes the boundaries for what I thought was possible on handheld consoles. Up until recently I was kind of disappointed with my Vita because Sony promised me so much but delivered very little. This game has give me great hope for the future of the console. The graphics are truly incredible and the gunplay and audio of the game is near perfect. The single player campaign is a great immersive experience and the multiplayer is what I have always dreamed of when it comes to online FPS on the go. I hope that anyone who reads this ignores the idiotic reviewer score and buys this game to support not only the developer but also Sony, so we can have more excellent games like this on our Vitas Expand
  14. Sep 11, 2013
    As a handheld FPS this offering is without peer. The production values and general shooter mechanics are on par with many console titles, particularly those from earlier in this generation.

I take exception to the "professional review" awarding this game a 55%. Though this person may have been uninspired by the similarity this game has to many other shooters, there is no excuse for not
    rewarding it for it's technical merits and superlative execution. That unfortunate score will likely keep the metascore below 80, and that is unfair, it really is. The developers(for their hard work), the Vita(for it's quality as a platform which is continually underrated) and gamers(as many might miss this title as they might be fooled by the inappropriately low score) deserve better.

I agree with other user reviewers that this title must be reviewed for what it is: the first true portable AAA FPS. As such, it deserves top marks.
  15. Sep 11, 2013
    Easily the best first person shooter available on the PS Vita. Probably the best game on the system behind Rayman Legends. If you have a Vita and even remotely like shooters then go pick this up now.
  16. Sep 10, 2013
    not only a great mobile fps, but a great game in general, one that somehow manages to look and play better than many xbox360/ps3 games. the campaign, played on hard, is lengthy and challenging while never being too frustrating. i think it took me about 7 or 8 hours to beat (thought the internal clock counted less maybe it resets after deaths?), not counting the multiple new objectives introduced for each chapter after its beaten, which is a nice way to encourage replay.

on top of that, the multiplayer is surprising full-fledged and a lot of fun. racking up kills, scavenging for ammo and completing objectives all accumulate cash, which you can put towards upgrades in your load out and specialized perks to equip. it's addicting and a lot of fun. the matchmaking is still a little wonky but that's something that will hopefully be ironed out, and only seems to affect some people.

kz:m rises to the top as the best game for the vita yet, and a must buy for killzone fans or fps aficionados.
  17. Sep 10, 2013
    This game, first of all, looks gorgeous. It beats out even some console shooters, like COD. Second, the multiplayer works very very well and is extremely addicting. Third, the controls work perfectly. And finally, the frame rate is smooth as silk. This game is definitely worth buying in every way. This may not only be the best portable shooter of all time, but the best portable game of the year. If you own a vita, this is a must-buy, and if you don't own a vita, this will make you buy a vita. Expand
  18. Sep 11, 2013
    Well,what can I say..?Killzone is the game which humilliates CoD:BoD.It makes CoD feel like a joke and at the same time humbling it wOW.
    Killzone Mercenary is the best videogame on PS Vita device.Its weapons,its graphics its way of responding in player's needs make it apparently the best choice for the Vita system.I recommend everyone to buy Killzone Mercenary...Really...ITS THE SOMETHING ELSE!!!
  19. Sep 11, 2013
    One of the best FPS on a handheld! Graphics are great and there is a lot of content. Worth the money and you will be holding onto it for some time! Game of the year for the vita!
  20. IBY
    Sep 10, 2013
    Let me start by congratulating the guerilla team on this magnificent FPS shooter. Crisp visuals, interesting story line and a solid multilayer elevates this game to a level we never though was possible on the vita. This is a must buy game for any vita owner
  21. Sep 11, 2013
    I liked both cod declassified and burning skies, but killzone mercenary is the best fps for vita by far....this is what a portable fps should be! I seem to remember killzone liberation getting good reviews....how can anyone complain about what we have in killzone mercenary!
  22. Sep 10, 2013
    I am absolutely blown away by this. This is not only the best FPS i have played on a handheld but the multiplayer is actually one of the best experiences I have had period. This is a blast and an absolute must for any Vita owner with a hunger for FPS games.
  23. Sep 10, 2013
    This game is simply awesome for the Vita, the graphics is as good as the PS3 version,the story is extremely enticing,gameplay is solid and way better then Resistence: Falling skies.Multiplayer is just like the PS3 version,although there is only 2 modes,but still,as a new player that just entered the Killzone universe,it got me hooked.WHATEVER YOU DO GIVES YOU $$.Yea thats right, stabbing,executing,scavenging gives you and also the voice acting in the game for all the characters is FANTASTIC.Especially Black Jack,your personal Black market seller,his lines will make you burst into laughter ,he would make your time buying equipment from him worth while as he gives his 'honest' opinion about your mission and cracks jokes in the process.THIS IS A MUST GET FOR VITA USERS. GO GET IT NOW. Expand
  24. Sep 13, 2013
    This game is absolutely brilliant and great value at that. Ignore the tiresome critics who gave average scores, its clear if you read their actual reviews properly that its the FPS genre itself that they're tired of. This game is Triple A all the way, the campaign isn't the longest although its far longer than Vita's Black Ops with a lot more depth. Add to that the 3 extra contract missions (each featuring different objectives to complete) which then unlock for each mission and you effectively have another three times the lastability in single player terms. The multiplayer itself is great fun and offers a tremendous amount of choice in terms of weaponry and gadgets allowing for an impressive amount of tactical variety. This games is seriously fun to play, gorgeous to look at and will surprise you more than once... at times I just can't believe I'm playing it on a handheld... a special mention goes to the first time you activate a Mantys drone... something else Expand
  25. Sep 11, 2013
    10/10 all the way. This simply magnificent. If this was on the 3DS people would be raving everywhere. If you want to see great iterations of other FPS like Battlefield, COD, ETC. Then you need to buy this so developers get the message.
  26. Sep 11, 2013
    I believe there is a disconnect between some major publications and the general gaming audience. Who exactly is EGMs 6.5 score intended for? Apparently, it's aimed at gamers expecting Merc to be the new Killzone 3. Apparently, the bar for FPS' on the Vita has been set on consoles. Wait, what?! Anyway, Merc is by and far not just the best FPS for Vita (obviously small statement), but one of Vita's very best games. With a little tweaking in settings Merc controls like butter and plays like a dream online. Ok: 8-player max, few maps, and standard modes. However, people will flock to the objective-based Warzone because multiple objectives over 5 stages per round works really, really well. The interrogation system is a welcome addition and actually makes this mode different from any you've played on console or otherwise. Motion control makes fine tuning aim a cinch. Another unique feature, arguably the game's best, is the money/equipment system. Everything you do in single and multiplayer earns you money (and eventually ranks) which you'll use to purchase primary and secondary firearms, armor, items such as frags or mines, and the all-important VanGuard. VanGuards are skills ranging from cloaking devices to aerial missiles you may rain down on the battlefield. Single player may be driving reviews lower than they, IMO, should be. Yes, the campaign does nothing revolutionary. It doesn't reinvent the wheel; some might call it derivative. I would call it absolutely solid. You can sprint through the campaign in about 5 hours, but most people will clock in around 7-9 I'd say. I was just shy 8.5 hours I stopped to smell the roses but by no means did I crawl my way through. Oh yes, the graphics. Not PS3 quality as many Sony diehards were praying for, but it is damn CLOSE. Textures, models and lighting are all stunning. Of course, textures are muddy close up and you will encounter a few graphical glitches nothing too jarring. Bottom-line: this is not just a good shooter by Vita's standards; it's a damn good shooter by genre standards. Honestly, I feel sad for Vita gamers who might heed the mediocre reviews and miss out on one beautiful, addictive and downright fun game. The fact that it runs in the palms of our hands is just gravy. See you online. Expand
  27. Sep 12, 2013
    Yawn, 8 player multiplayer, seriously, who came up with that? It's such boring garbage even when I am beating people down. The levels are big and sparsely populated. This game has a ton of potential, great graphics and gameplay, controls great with lots of weapon variety and such. The campaign is still just a brief, linear foray. What good is that in a portable game? When I'm away from the Internet, I want to have a replayable experience, not an 8 hour campaign with zero replay value. And then when I'm near the Internet, which is almost only ever at my house, why would I want to play 8 player Killzone on the Vita when I could play 32 player Killzone on the PS3? If a portable game is going to have multiplayer, then it should be fun enough that it would be suitable for a console game. Otherwise, why would I sit in my house and play it? This is worth a rental for the brief campaign, nothing more. Expand
  28. Sep 11, 2013
    From the loading screen to the menus to the gameplay and graphics, it's evident that Guerrilla Cambridge really put a lot of effort in to this game. Unlike other PS Vita FPS's that have come out prior, this game has polish in every aspect: graphics, sounds, lighting, shadows, reflections, customization, gameplay, multiplayer and replay-ability. It FEELS like a PS3 game as far as quality and scale.
    So far, I'm only 3 missions in to the campaign having spent most of my time on the multiplayer which I don't see as a negative, multiplayer is addicting and super fun. This is hard feat to accomplish on a handheld, especially in the FPS landscape, but it's been done beautifully by Guerrilla Cambridge. The map design is incredible whether on the multiplayer suite or the singleplayer. The detail is almost hard to believe considering it's on a handheld device.

This is a must-buy for any PS Vita owner. And if you're on the fence about buying a PS Vita, this game may very well push you over the edge.

My score:

Graphics 10 (best I've seen on PS Vita)
    Sound 9
    Controls 9
    Singleplayer 8 (only 3 missions in)
    Multiplayer 10

Only negative:
    - 1 for occasional connectivity issues and freezing, nothing that can't be patched though.

Final: 9/10
  29. Dec 2, 2013
    What some people are forgetting, is that this is a portable game. A portable game with early 7th gen flair. Though some seem to expect a Bioshock infinte, or Killzone 3, this game delivers almost anything a Vita owner or Shooter fan could want.

The game in it's core is more fluid, slightly trimmed down Killzone 3, in regards to Story, Gameplay, Graphics and Presentation. Overall, it
    kicks ass to kick such ass on the go. The story, while not ground breaking, is there. It does move the game from A to B, and sometimes on occasion to C. It has enough substance and sense to keep me interested, especially for a shooter.
    The Gameplay is classic Killzone. You'll move your head when climbing up ladders or climb down sewers. Enemy AI will flinch when shoot and you can bop your head from under waist high cover. Melee kills are especially satisfying, whether it's an assassination or you rush and enemy and stab in the crotch! The actually 9 missions or 'Contracts' Take around 30 mins each on average for me to complete. Which vary from straight assault missions, to evacs to recover. However, most follow the same formula, kill a room bunched with enemies, then do it again, and again till you reach your objective. Some offer little distractions from this. But it does generally repeats itself a few times. Which isn't a game breaker, but will cause you to take regular breaks from it. then again, this game is designed to play on buses/trains, so it shouldn't worry you.
    Graphics, like everyone is saying, is the most beautiful display on the Vita, when reminiscing consoles. It is a more colourful game than previous Killzones, but isn't as gorgeous as say, KZ3. Still though, if you want a game that you can show off to people and say "Oh yeah, this is all portable baby!' Than you have the answer right here
    The presentation is also very cool. My 4 year sister saw me boot it up, and thought it looked awesome and asked if she could play! (I said no of course, than proceeded to my room.) But like the graphics, it's pretty to look at.

Multiplayer is something I've only played a handful of times. But when I did play, I was very happy that this quality was on a portable. Some reviewers are saying this is there favourite aspect of the game. I can not say for certain, but it does seem like it

Killzone Mercenary does what a Vita game is meant to, deliver a great gaming experience on the go. It does what I use to hope PSP games could do but never did, deliver a smaller version of it's Big Bros on the consoles, on the go.
  30. Sep 10, 2013
    PS3-quality visuals? Refined gunplay? Well-implemented and interesting touch-screen controls? Check check check. Mix well and serve with a currency-based gameplay mechanic that rewards multiple playthroughs and novel approaches, and you're got the best shooter available on the Vita. And all of this on the day of release (unlike Black Ops Declassified)! The only reason this game gets a 9 instead of a 10 is that the controls are slightly more awkward than Black Ops Declassified, particularly with regard to sprinting, crouching and aiming acceleration. You get used to it pretty quick, and it's easily correctable with future patches. For anyone with a Vita, you can't beat this right now. Expand
  31. Sep 13, 2013
    This game plays looks and feels like a Killzone game should, all the way through. While the campaign is on the short side, four hours for my first playthrough, the replay ability is great with four different types of mission objektives in every level, along side a superb multiplayer, still makes this game a Must buy.
  32. Sep 15, 2013
    I can't believe how low critics have been scoring this game. I have owned nearly every big market handheld game system since the original Game Boy, and this game is everything I have ever wanted one of these devices to do. I was very skeptical going into Mercenary, seeing that this concept has failed so many times. Hands down, best game on Vita. My only complaint WAS the length of the campaign, but after I had finished the game and saw what the contracts mode had to offer I was excited to play it again, this time will skill in mind. If you are a fan of FPS games, this is a no brainer purchase. You will be looking forward to that dreadfully long wait at the doctors office. Big thank you to Guerrilla Games! Expand
  33. Sep 11, 2013
    awesome fps game for cheap and big gameplay.but i want to know why this game is cheap in india.lfkjbsdjlfhdjfhdjshfjldhfdhf ;kfj;kdhfienvnljnfksdjkndkf skkd dfjflk; .dnfksdf slkdf ksfnk kfnkl fnk;f fnksf knfks
  34. Sep 14, 2013
    I recently bought a Playstation Vita because I have collected lots of Vita games with Playstation Plus. I got Killzone mercenary with my vita and didn't expect much of it. But damn, It's the best handheld shooter I've ever played. It's visuals are stunning, gameplay is awesome, and it's multiplayer is a great load of fun. Overall Killzone mercenary is THE game to get a vita for.
  35. Oct 15, 2013
    It's an amazing game. It's not only the best shooter on Vita (though that's not saying much), but it's also the best Killzone game yet. The controls, mechanics, and feel are all perfect for the vita. The wide variety of weapons, grenades, and the new vanguard system (killstreaks in both single and multiplayer such as invisibility, a portable shield, or even a jammer) give the player a lot of freedom in playing how they want to play. The best feature however that will keep you coming back for more is the money. You earn money for absolutely everything you do, from killing higs to collecting ammo to blowing drones up. This mechanic is perfect for this game thanks to it being one unified bank account across both single and multiplayer, allowing you to raise enough for that special gun even when you are not in range of Wi-Fi for multiplayer, which is in 6 well built and diverse maps. There are only 3 game modes. Team deathmatch: the name says it all. Mercenary warfare: my favorite of the bunch is a normal free for all with a twist. It's "who can collect the most money", not kills! With enough brains to go with skill, you can go from last place to first place in a minute, but those who focus on nothing but kill count will not necessarily place in the top 3. The final mode is Warzone, the classic killzone objective based mode. The match is split into 5 objectives: Valor collection (basically collecting the dropped dogtags), hacking (hacking as many vanguard capsules as possible), interrogation (meleeing an enemy from behind. It's the hardest of the lot but most rewarding), hacking again, and finally kill count. I wish Vita had the 3DS's Activity log so I could see how many hours I spent playing Killzone's amazing multiplayer!
    The graphics are some of the best on Vita. In action, it looks almost as good as early PS3 games and for once, the long loading times are not a consequence of the great visuals.
    The only draw back here is the incredibly short campaign. You will probably beat it in about 5 hours but Guerrilla didn't leave it there. You can replay each mission another 3 times to complete covert, precision, or demolition challenges, giving you about 20 hours of single player fun.
    An amazing game that I recommend to any and all Vita owners!
  36. Sep 13, 2013
    So after all the hype did this game deliver as the best portable first person shooter ever? Well all i can say is YES!! The campaign is over 5 hours long and even though its a little predictable it is entertaining. Plus you can replay it thanks to the side missions which offer some variety and replay value. The multiplayer is enjoyable thanks to the new Vanguards and the valor system (which is like kill confirmed but more fun) The graphics in this game is INSANE. How did the geniuses over at Guerilla Cambridge managed to do this is just mind-blowing. You just have to see it to believe it. Oh and don't worry about the frame rate it might get choppy but only in certain parts of the game. So overall if you want to see the new standard of Portable First Person Shooters please play this Killzone: Mercenary. Expand
  37. Sep 13, 2013
    Basically this game is what you bought a vita for. A triple 'A' quality shooter, packed with unlockables, anchored to solid gameplay and completely soaked in pristine graphics. And that's all. besides a short campaign (which is redeemed by it's many replay modes, stealth, demolition etc) there is nothing else you need to know besides that it is well polished, content heavy and addictive. If any of the three are something you think you'd like buy it. Expand
  38. Sep 11, 2013
    This is THE game Ps Vita owners have been waiting for from the start! From the great, smooth and quick controls to the "PS3 Close Quality" visuals, I'm blown away and I had very high standards coming into this game once I learned it's running on the Same engine as Killzone 3 tuned & adjusted to run on the Vita. The story isn't nearly as short as some critics are saying, There's lots to do in the story mode alone. Closer to 6-8 hours in one playthrough (depends on play style. guess if your job is to run through as fast as you can, then it can be done in 5hrs) & then you have loads to go back for, like Intel and three different contracts for each chapter unlock after 1st time through. Voice acting is on par w/ AAA console FPS. Then you throw in the Multi-player that's not only Great but has an original twist, Single player Offline plays Rank & Money earned tie in together to make one Seamless great experience that is Far Worth the $40. A MUST BUY for Any FPS fan. ....5....outa....5 Expand
  39. Sep 13, 2013
    I'm loving it, maybe a bit repetitive, and too hard in multiplayer's, for the moment.
    The campaign is not that short if you take your time, I think it'll be 6h30 for me.
    The console needed that one. I thought about the bioshock's rumor and was almost seeing it. How nice it would be to have excentric, even more inventive AAA's on vita. Gorgeous vita...
  40. Sep 15, 2013
    Totally a must buy for vita owners, this game is great, it plays smoothly, the best graphics on vita, the multiplayer is also great, the maps are very very good for an 8 player MP. overall i think this game is near perfect for a portable system
  41. Sep 11, 2013
    Great mechanics, good pace to use in a handheld. Fits well in the Killzone universe. All in all a great game. Visuals are fantastic, and I like the use of the touch screen.
  42. Sep 12, 2013
    Let me start by saying that this game is awesome BUT I also would like to stress out the importance of a couple of reviews claiming otherwise.

This is an owesome game but I know why some feel that this does not deserve what most expect it to be. UNDERSTAND: Notice that when you are looking at a review of an owesome game, you would rather read those that gave less than or greater than
    you expect others to rate. For example: one believes that this game deserves 10/10, you would look up for something less or way too less and wonder why it came to be. It then got your attention. NOW YOU SEE: this reviews are what most developers read mainly because most of these reviews contain critical statements that would help them see another critical point of view. I, for one, notice that this game is holding back something, it's not what developers would want it to be. Something is missing in the game. Don't get me wrong I freakin love this game but somehow i was lead to think that the developers where holding off because going further in development would cost more than the original budget they earlier stipulated. Some constraints were made because they cannot expect huge buying public because vita is not selling too well and the nextgen will soon be released. For the game, I'll give it a 10/10 but because they were holding back for the above reasons, I'll give it a 7/10. I know the developers were holding back as if the game development were forced to end prematurely. There's more to add to this game, It lacks the needed polishing at most. Expand
  43. Sep 23, 2013
    Must Buy. Low review scores are people hopeful that better may one day be made, or people not understanding what they have...
    To see a game like this running on about 4watts of power (screen included) is a technical marvel.
    Due to the Killzone Engine being ported very cleverly to Vita, and excellent use of hardware sound, and cleverly rewriting some tricks to the video chip (as well as
    the low level APIs allowing the defered tile based renderer of the video chip to function..) we can see here a game that looks like second gen titles usually do, really well polished at utilysing the Vita to its fullest.
    4-5 hours main campaign! PFFT!
    I am 24hrs into the main campaign and have only half played it.
    It only counts the hours in completed games, and never any of the players runs that end in death. The reality is I have put 50hrs plus into this game, and have started to scratch the surface.
    I do not usually add net reviews except when exceptional efforts go unoticed.
    The AI in this game has NEVER been done on a handheld.
    "Missions" are a nice way to get the player to 'redo' levels, but the play style varies totally by loadout, so I have been having an absolute blast replaying a very dynamic game.
    The AI is where the compliments belong for the addictiveness of this game. The AI plays like good human players do. And the enjoyment from a new death is awesome, this game keeps me on my toes.

The online is brilliant.
    The load times hidden by (cancellable) level intros is a Vita win.
    An oh the sound!!
    This game has well recorded sound effects that appear to be occluded and possibly even source traced. Something that sound cards in PCs did around the year 2000 (A3D 2.0), and then died with Windows destroying hardware sound. To my knowledge this is the first time we have had non software sound cards in a console that is doing these advanced features (part of using the vita to the max)
    Richard Leadbetters interview with the team revealed all sorts of tricks used in this game.

My only criticisms have been the hit zone on switches not being overly relaxed, forcing me to realign my camera and breaking the immersion a little.
    In fairness this is because I turned *off* all screen feedbacks leaving only the map.
    The game is nice as it tells you to reload before you completely empty, and the fun of knowing that the soldier you are fighting might just go down before a clip swapout keeps the action and intensity at full.

I am not a game junkie.
    I buy many games, have most platforms, and have had since the Atari 2600. I understand the tech inside my boxes, and this game thrills me as much as a ninja PC running Battlefield III etc.
    Apart of this is the no lag OLED screen.
    For the first time in a decade an action game feels like an action game.

I cannot stress enough how MUST BUY this game is even for casuals. Be aware it is worthy of its R18 violence rating, and we might not see another game to push a platform so hard for a long while.
    The joy of playing a game like this for four hours off a battery is insane.
    Since getting this game I am playing/charging+ playing/playing and for the first time ever been getting a 'craw' handcramp (after 10-12 hours solid play).
    This makes Persona seem unaddictive.

Please, ignoring the graphics and sound, the fun/well presented story, and the addictive collectiveness of Valour Cards and ranks/loadouts; the immensly replayable nature of missions due to the diverse AI, and alternate routes/methods to clear areas is enough to just keep coming back.

Oh and 8 player online is brilliant due to very clever map designs and weapon options.
    And it looks slick,plays slick, and nails the reason why people bought their Vitas.
    OLED brilliance (with a game at native resolution antialiasing), the Wolfson sound chip rendering hardware sound effects, this game is doing something nothing else in the world presently is.

This is the cutting edge of video games, and it is in your pocket, playable on the bus/train, and does what iPads won't do anytime soon.

I would rate this game 9.5, but the one graphical glitch on average every 1.5hrs and the few nit picks I have, I have a solid belief that patches will fix.
    Oh Yeah, the 1200MB day one patch is a two edged sword... makes the game unplayable on 4GB cards and should have been downloaded at the same time as the game (in my eyes- as it was a preorder and I was meant to be playing it DAY 1 Sept 3rd, in AUstralia). So whilst that patch is good incentive and shows the devs care. It was inconvenient and locked out a few people, so that would scratch a half point from the ten,.. but as it is this game is 10 worthy.
    it blows away the past and sets standard for the future.
    I hope we get more like this!!!
  44. Sep 23, 2013
    Anyone who rates this below 9 is smoking crack. Seriously this is the best game any handheld ever. The multiplayer is amazing fun. Graphics are awesome and the game play is smooth.
  45. Sep 16, 2013
    I am an avid killzone 2 fan, I can not explain how happy this game made me. ofc this isnt a ten out of ten for any system for what the vita is capable of this is!!! multiplayer was the only door i opened and havent closed since haven t touched sp
    my only gripes are no collectors edition and more maps with less stair cases
  46. Sep 17, 2013
    This game is amazing, fantastic AAA. The story, game play, everything get you hooked up. A must buy. I really don't get the bad reviews this game has like 5.5
  47. Sep 11, 2013
    Many had already played the Multi-player beta and most of the people loved it. Now, with the full release gamers will discover than there is more to this game than the MP.

First of all, Killzone Mercenary looks beautiful and runs without noticeable slowdowns on the PS Vita's impressive OLED screen. The game's graphic engine is a modified version of Killzone 3 rendering engine, a PS3
    game. With some obvious textures and effects downscaling still, Mercenary is the best looking game on the PS Vita and the best looking portable FPS shooter I've ever had the delight of playing.

So, for those who were not able to enjoy the beta the multi-player is pretty much standard comparing it to a console game, you've got 3 modes (Mercenary Warfare, Guerilla Warfare, and Warzone). The first two modes were not available to play while the game was on closed and public beta. The first two modes are Death Match and Team Death Match respectively. Warzone is a team based mode with set strategic objectives in each it's 5 rounds. You have to collect valor cards (dropped by an enemy when you kill it, or by an ally when it gets killed), interrogate enemies, hack van-guard capsules (twice), and kill as many enemies as you can. All of these 3 modes can be played in 6 decently proportioned maps. Multi-player is as robust as it gets for a handheld game: collectibles, ranks, a variety of weapons, and the van-guard modules.

Now, aside from the Multi-player mode, the game includes a 5-6 hour 9-mission single-player campaign that can be played in 3 difficulty levels plus contracts, which will take you back to single-player campaign missions to complete various objectives and get some extra money for it, which will help you to level up (leveling up depends on your total accumulated money) and buying new equipment from the arms dealer.

Money, money money... Everything you do on the game gives you money. From killing an enemy to just grabbing some ammo from the floor, you get a reward for almost everything you do in-game, on single-player mode and in multi-player mode. Your cash, equipment, and rank are shared between the single-player mode and the multi-player mode. This gives a chance to players that prefer to mostly play the single-player mode to enter a multi-player match whenever they want and not be humiliated by players who had been playing MP only and have already unlocked everything there is to unlock or max-leveled.

Unlike the two big shooter games that came for the PS Vita before it (Resistance: Burning Skies and Call Of Duty Black Ops II: Declassified)Killzone Mercenary has done it! It has created a console-like FPS experience on a handheld that has been through some tough times because of the lack of games like this. This game is a technical marvel and a game every PS Vita owner who enjoys FPS games should get it. The reviews from the critics do not seem to get the fact that this is pretty much a revolutionary portable FPS done right, extremely right. In my humble opinion, the critic reviews absolutely DO NOT make this awesome game the justice it deserves. You just have to try it by yourself. I guarantee you, you won't disappointed.
  48. Sep 17, 2013
    This game is brutally short (I beat it in a weekend) but it's insanely fun, and there are plenty of reasons to come back to the main story. Some of the story feels a bit generic, but the game looks and plays great. Multiplayer is only 8-player matches, but It's actually pretty fun as well. This game is absolutely what Vita users have been waiting for, and you owe it to yourself to play it.
  49. Sep 17, 2013
    Killzone Mercenary is THE DEFINITE AAA title on a handheld that has been promised for PS Vita all along. It absolutely feels and looks like a home console experience. It is hard to put in words how good the game really looks once you pick it up and how polished everything feels from the ultra-sophisticated mission briefing to the smooth and texture rich graphics as well as the various visual effects, particularly volumetric smoke effects. The gameplay looks as good as the cutscenes. I could go on and on about many different details that make this game an amazing experience on a handheld.

Controls work great too. Especially if you are frustrated by Modern Combat or NOVA on the iPhone, you will love the twin analog sticks. They just work and never get in the way.

Without a doubt, together with Wipeout 2048 and Uncharted GA, KZM is among the three most visually stunning games on any handheld device. Especially when comparing it to other attempts to utilize the Vita hardware, or any handheld hardware for that matter, you realize that this game is a technical marvel, a milestone, a masterpiece. The new standard for AAA titles on a handheld.

This game is a no-brainer if you own a Vita!
  50. Oct 10, 2013
    This is the game that the Vita has been waiting for.
    Graphics are quality and the controls work really well between touch screen and buttons.
    Story is split into missions, similar to Unit 13 only a million times better. You earn cash for kills and completing missions which you buy new weapons or armour which is a bit of an incentive to keep playing.
    Single player is an admirable length
    for a handheld fps and the multiplayer is highly addictive and easily of PS3 quality.
    If you have a Vita, buy this game.
    Excellent to show off what the handheld console can achieve.
  51. Sep 24, 2013
    With a campain and multiplayer crossover function, easy platinum trophy, good story, decent lenght of campain and the best multiplayer fps for a handheld, this is the reason to pick up a vita.
  52. Mar 5, 2014
    Hands down best shooter on a handheld device. Best looking shooter on a handheld device. Best graphics on a handheld device. Best multi-player on a handheld device. Best story on a handheld device. In one word: MASTERPIECE. MUST-BUY for every PS VITA owner. Don't look at the 78 critics gave. They always compare it to a console game. Killzone: Mercenary shows what the PS VITA is capable of.
  53. Sep 15, 2013
    very cool game on ps vita, killzone mercenary best shooter 100% must have)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
  54. Sep 17, 2013
    love this game. i would just ignore the critic scores this game is very fun and i enjoyed it, love the multiplayer and single campaign but it could been longer

it is amazing how impressive the graphics are on the handle and this is the new standard for shooters on handhelds and graphics for vita games in general
  55. Sep 18, 2013
    FPS absolutamente inacreditável para um console portátil. Em grande parte do jogo difícil saber se o gráfico está rodando mesmo no vita ou no ps3 ante a semelhança entre o visual do game e killzone 3. Se você gosta de Shooter, não perca um segundo, esse o jogo para você.
  56. Sep 21, 2013
    I've been counting down the days waiting for this to come out. The graphics are phenomenal, the gameplay is smooth and it is exactly what I was hoping it would be! The best Vita game on the market!
  57. Sep 22, 2013
    Perfectly designed for the handheld in terms of short exciting missions structures. Great story with a couple of twists and excellent gameplay mechanics and graphics. I have no issue with the level design being adapted to short pickup and play game play periods on a handheld and I feel the end result is exactly how the developer envisaged it to be.

Great replay ability through
    multiplayer, collectables and specific contract conditions.I don't often return to a game following completion but this is so playable, The only other game getting some time in the midst of my GTA V addiction. Best Vita game for me. That says it all. Expand
  58. Sep 25, 2013
    This game is a BEAST! Can't stop playing it! If your looking to buy a shooter for Vita this is the one. trust me, its way better than call of duty, and thats saying a lot. The graphics are awesome and hardly any slow downs occur at all, which to me is key to a successful shooter. The single player mode is hefty and since the AI of the Higs are really adaptive, and not so "peek-a-boo" it takes precise aim and tactical movements like that sexc leg slide to kill them. The multiplayer is also a beast, it is definitely the best multiplayer experience on vita right now, aside from video skyping of course for all you freaks out there" But yes definitely get this game its a must, if you own a vita you better own Killzone Expand
  59. Sep 26, 2013
    The story is short and the missions are a moderate length. The length of the mission are good for portable gaming, i just wish it had more missions. The online multiplayer is good as well but i think it would be better with 10 or 12 players and if it hade more game modes but overall it's a solid game and definitely the best fps and arguable the best game for the vita. The graphics at very good but It feels laggy at times but it is a good game and I recommend it to all vita owners Expand
  60. Oct 12, 2013
    Game has excellent graphics, fps, physics, and story line. So much better than expected from reading reviews. The multiplayer is well done with 3 modes. I can't wait for DLC This game is a must have and reviews do not give it enough credit!!
  61. Oct 14, 2013
    Great game, technically advanced and a well paced adventure all in all. Decent replayability too due to the different unlockable weapons and hidden items.
  62. Oct 19, 2013
    Single player is awesome. Tons of replay value. Multiplayer is fun and actually works after 2nd patch. Graphics and gameplay are top notch. Lots of customization
  63. Nov 11, 2013
    This game gets a 8 out of technical merit alone: it looks great, it sounds great, and its impressive trough and trough. I still think its baffling why people don't recognize what a achievement to be experienced on a handheld. So there you go, what this game pull off from the Vita is incredible proving what this system is able to do.

But this game one extra point (making it a 9), in my
    book, due to the fun factor.

The story is great. It made me go back to Killzone 2 and 3 to pinpoint the timeframe only to find out that the most interesting part of the war was being fought by Admiral Grey and her gang of mercenaries.
    It might be hard to grasp how interesting the story is during your first play trough, but if you pay attention you realize all the conflicts behind the decisions. It clearly shows that there is no 'good' and 'bad' side in this war. It was the first time I really paid attention to it and wanted to know more about the Killzone lore.

Then, there is the gameplay. Sure, controls take some getting used to and some tweaking I amped the sensitivity, for example. But once you get trough that, you'll be immersed in a beautiful, varied and exciting game. I truly came to admire how deep the gameplay can be when I went to complete all contracts that demand you to explore different weapons and different approach to the levels. But the varied level design is there from the get go. You can tackle the problems presented to you in a wide range of ways for me, the greatest sign of a masterfully designed game.

Of course, you can just run and gun away (as you can in deep games like FarCry 3 or Deus Ex, for example) if you set it to easy. The game can look generic if you play it this way. I think many reviewers just did a rushed job, and didn't bothered to peel one more layer of the game to experience how great it is. And I'm talking about pure great level design regardless of it being on a handheld, running smoothly and beautifully what makes it even more impressive.

So there you go, if you like shooters and own a Vita you probably already got this game. I'm writing to help out people who'll get the Vita later (maybe due to PS4 launch) to cut trough the garbage that many outlets have put out about this game. This is the best shooter on the go that you can find right now (2013), and it's better than many console shooters (I'm looking at you, Black Ops 2).
  64. Jan 1, 2014
    This game is visually stunning. The multiplayer and single player is a load of fun. One of the top games for the vita period. On the plus side you also get to play alongside Helghans.
  65. Nov 30, 2013
    The Killzone franchise has slowly become one of Sony's biggest, with roots stretching back as far as the PlayStation 2. Unfortunately, the series has never quite reached the commercial heights of other modern shooters like Call of Duty or Battlefield. Thankfully, the series debut on the PlayStation Vita is arguably its strongest outing on any platform yet. The first thing you'll notice when booting up Mercenary is the jaw-dropping visuals. While Killzone has always looked good on consoles, its never caught the eyes of gamers like some other games. On a handheld, however, Killzone's visuals are un-paralleled. Guns are finely detailed, environments all radiate color, and character models are great. In terms of story, Mercenary attempts to refresh the typical war story by telling it from the perspective of a gun-for-hire. This aspect could have made for some neat storytelling, but Mercenary's mute protagonist never bothers to give any personal insight on the war. Despite this, Mercenary does still manage to entertain with a plot that, while arguably the weakest in the series, does a fine job of keeping the player's interest. In terms of gameplay, Mercenary's frame rate is surprisingly solid, given how great it looks. The controls work well, but during intense firefights, double tapping the Vita's rear touch pad to run was cumbersome. This aside, Guerilla Cambridge has done a fantastic job of creating a well-thought-out control scheme. Unlike several previous Vita games, Mercenary also makes great use of the Vita's touch screen. Interrogating enemy's via the touch screen was fun, and never got old. Finally is Mercenary's multiplayer. This is, without a doubt, Mercenary's greatest achievement. Map design is fantastic, with several dynamic elements (e.g. roatiting wheels, working elevators, zip lines, etc.) built in. Unlike most of today's shooter, Mercenary replaces the traditional XP system with valor cards. Valor cards are small items dropped by fallen enemies and allies. Collecting them will build up a "deck". Creating a full deck will award players with cash, which can then be spent on armor, weapons, and equipment. Thats the beauty of Mercenary's multiplayer. Its essentially a pay-to-win situation, but with virtual cash. All-in-all, developer Guerilla Cambridge have outdone themselves with Mercenary. With a flawed but intriguing story, beautiful visuals, and fantastic gameplay, Mercenary has set the standard for handheld shooters in general. Expand
  66. Feb 7, 2014
    One of the most acclaimed shooters on Playstation is back! But this time it's on a portable system, how will that do? Spoiler: It's awesome. The Vita is the only portable console with 2 sticks, which makes it a fabulous system for shooters, topped off with the Vitas hardware capabilities, and you can get a console-like-experience. This however, is the first shooter on the Vita that is actually good, actually, not just good, amazing. It looks like a console game (the game runs on the same engine as Killzone 3) which is just gorgeous, stunning and beautiful. If you own a Vita and love shooters, hey, if you like shooters, this is a must-have, along with Tearaway ;) Expand
  67. Dec 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best FPS game for the vita! A must buy.......this is what call of duty should of been like,maybe the developers can take a page outa this game.If you're an FPS fan or not,don't miss out on this latest installment of the killzone franchise,weapons shoot the way they shoot on the console version if I'm not mistaken (haven't played them in a long time),touchscreen mele kills are implemented perfectly same goes for hacking and planting charges..EXCELLENT handheld game Expand
  68. Feb 25, 2014
    I love this game!! After both Resistance: Burning Skies and Call of Duty: Black Ops – Declassified, Vita finally save by this game.
    Graphics: The graphics is one of the best looking game I ever seen in the handheld/mobile gaming ever. The engine is using a modified version of Killzone 3 on the PS3, but a bit lower since the PS Vita is weaker than the PS3 in terms of power of graphics. My
    problem is when lots of enemies is here at one, the frame rate drops from 30 to 20 and/or even 10 FPS.
    Gameplay: Due to Vita's fewer buttons than the PS3 (lack of L2/3 and R2/3), fewer buttons for Killzone 3 has be moved to take advantage of Vita's touch screen and touch pad. Even it's was a same controls as Burning Skies and Declassified, this game is slightly better because you want to knife it in the touch screen or Triangle button only when you near the enemy and use a knife. Because I don't like to have a knife icon on my HUD unless I near the enemy. Multi player itself, It's up to 8 players unlike the PS3 games that you can go up to 24-32 players. Even both Declassfield and Burning Skies has 8 players. Despite it, it's still fit the amount of players in the portable device like this. I wish they increase the amount of players in the portable game like this. Multi player is still fun. You can earn in game money that you can spend you money for buying weapons, VAN-Guards, grenades and armor. And/or even you can buy more ammo.
    Story: The game is set in between Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 and revisits many of the key events of Killzone, Killzone: Liberation, and Killzone 2. Neither played these Killzone games before, but it's really good. The game campaign is really short, but the amount of 9 mission campaigns is really good. It's has a huge replayable value because of the mission contracts that challenge players to find another way to beat the mission. There are main, Demolition, Covert , and Precision.
    My thoughts: I love this game a lot. I would say it's a 9.5 even I score it 10 because they did not have a option to add .5 yet. A near perfect game for me because of the frame dropping and the short single player campaign. Despite the 9.5, this is one of the best PS Vita games I played. If you have a Vita, that game is a must buy even the PS Vita is a niche and underrated portable service because most people wants more AAA games. If PS Vita has more AAA games in addition to Japanese games (mostly JRPG players). Buy it!!
  69. May 13, 2014
    Great single player campaign with a diverse level design, adequate A.I. and a fun multiplayer. A lot of guns to choose from for some fun and interesting loadouts, such as proximity mines, a stun gun, and a trench rocket launcher that is really fun to use. Positives: +Campaign that can be replayed over and over for new experiences +Fun multiplayer that works +Really fun weapons and combat
    +Tight controls

Negatives:
    -Occasional glitches
    -Cheesy dialogue
    -Handholding
  70. Sep 22, 2013
    Exceptional game that really took me by surprise. I wasn't aware the Vita was capable of running such AAA games. It really whets the appetite for more
  71. Nov 23, 2013
    surprisingly fun! even as a pc gamer, this is an acceptable handheld fps to get your fix. i find myself playing it before i go to bed, or if i'm going to be out and waiting somewhere for a while. overall it's very impressive for a handheld game imho. nice graphics and good amount of content.
  72. Oct 6, 2013
    Killzone mercenary provides handheld gamers with a genuine console experience in the palm of your hands. This game truly harnesses the power the Vita and provides a fun and exciting game that looks and plays great. The game delivers a entertaining campaign that features a variety of high octane action experiences that are on par with the killzone 2 and 3. I enjoyed the notion of the mercenary feel playing a character who was truly in it for the money. The story does leave something to be desired but in a campaign that can easily be beaten in 5-6 hours there is no real time to develop anything.
    The game looks fantastic as the environments are filled with a rich sci-fi vibe and move away from the browns and greys of the previous killzone titles. The controls do take a little bit of time to adjust but after feel very responsive as i was snapping off headshots easily.
    The game has a tonne of re playability due to a great multiplayer mode, lots of weapons to unlock and multiple paths and options to take on through the main campaign. I had a blast with killzone and it is a must buy for vita owners
  73. Oct 20, 2013
    Incredible, Killzone mercenary is an amazing game, with great graphics, animation and scenarios, lighting effects, particles, textures and gameplay. I don't understand why some specialized reviewers" have bad reviews. Pages like Eurogamer and Edge give to the game absurd scores, only good pages like IGN has good scores (8.0).

However the users in Metacritic and in the PSN are very
    happy with the title.

If you have a Vita, you must buy this game now !

Presentation: nice menus, good story, neither side is good, there a few mission with the Helghast but are great.

Graphics: Amazing graphics with advanced techniques like transelation, detailed, well designed, the game is amazing and beautiful, the game is so good like its big brothers in PS3.

Gameplay Excellent missions design, nice gameplay, responsive controls and addictive multiplayer.

Endless appeal For 35.99 you can grab one of the best experiences in portable games, if you want to enjoy more the campaign I suggest play in Hard dificulty 9 Hours), only the cowards play in Easy and complete the game in 5 hours. The Mp is addictive, 7 maps very detailed and with a lot fo weapons and mechanics.
  74. Sep 29, 2013
    Are you ready to make some money MERC? Well if you are don't look any further. The games graphics are really well done for a Vita game. But this really doesn't make up for the horrible writing and so so story. The action is fast paced and just be prepared for the one to two waved based action sequences in each mission. What really sticks out is the great sound, but you need to wear some earbuds for full effect. Expand
  75. Sep 18, 2013
    I wouldn't call this game a reason to buy a vita, but if you we're thinking about trading yours in, at least give this one a try before you make your final decision. Graphics and controls look and work great on the vita. Even the touch screen controls that normally I can't stand in other vita games feel fine here. Definitely not a perfect game, but a must have for vita owners.
  76. Nov 17, 2013
    The FPS Vita game you have been waiting for! After the huge disappointments that were Resistance: Burning Skies and Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified, this game lives up the hype!
  77. Aug 31, 2014
    Easily one of the best portable FPS.
    The game is very well suited for the Vita. It's that kind of game made to show the capabilities that the Vita has to offer, both graphical level (which does justice to PS3 games) as level of gameplay.
    The only problem I have found is in relation to the multiplayer connectivity, which has been quite unstable for very many people, including myself.
  78. May 6, 2014
    This was the shooter every Vita FPS fan was pinning all their hopes on and we were not disappointed. It looks great, it has loads of single players mission which are fun to play. The multiplayer is deep and fun. I enjoyed the mercenary aspect of the game. Everything you do in both single and multiplayer from headshots to picking up dropped ammo get you credits. These credits can be used to buy weapons, armour, and upgrades. Whatever you buy is available to use in both single and multiplayer. The Vanguards are your "killstreak" type rewards They range from a wrist mounted homing rocket system to a personal shield and are lots of fun. The multiplayer maps and game types are fun. I found the controls in multiplayer a little tricky at first ( I found precision aiming a struggle) but that improved with time I'm not sure if I just got used to it or if they patched it. If feel this is definitely the game Vita owners have been waiting for. Not only did they bring a big Sony licence to our favourite handheld but they tweaked the recipe and made it more original and exciting instead of playing it safe. Great job! Expand
  79. Nov 8, 2013
    The best shooter on vita. The vita has the two analog sticks for shooters, and it took a while for developers to use them correctly. This is how all shooters should be on the vita. The campaign is fun, the multiplayer is addictive (but pretty barebones). One flaw with the multiplayer is that the guns cannot be customized. Whatever attachment the gun has on it, you cannot remove or add, and no adding silencers... etc. However the game has a lot of replay value. After you beat the campaign, there are other ways that you can beat the missions, for more money. The gameplay is very addictive, the sticks are very customizable to your liking, and the graphics blow any other vita game out of the water. Overall 9/10
    PROS: Addictive gameplay, amazing graphics, tough campaign, replay value, fun multiplayer.
    CONS: Non-customizable guns, only 6 multiplayer maps with 3 modes
  80. Aug 13, 2014
    Excellent FPS for a portable. Graphics rival those on PS3. Aiming down sights can use the Vita's motion sensor which is new in FPS. The frame-rate is good most of the time, no screen-tearing whatsoever. The single player campaign is recommended before going to multiplayer. The money you earn in single player carries over to online. I think this is a good way to make straight-to-online players go through the campaign first, despite how boring the story may be. This game will drain your battery quickly. Bring the charger if you leave the house. When given the choice, I wouldn't play it over CS:GO on a powerful PC, but for what it is, it's simply amazing. Best handheld game to date. Expand
  81. Apr 25, 2014
    After playing both Call Of Duty: Black Ops Declassified and Resistance: Burning Skies, this game is a god send from Guerrilla Cambridge. Not only is the story interwoven between Killzone and Killzone 2, but it is also unqiue and thrilling in all aspects from quality to depth. The Multiplayer is also a great addition to the Killzone franchsie with 4v4 action and a variety of weapons to choose from. The Single player also has quite a lot ore-playability with Contracts to do for each mission and Intel to collect.

I have waited for a long time for this game to come out and I can say that you will not be disappointed if you purchase this game. Long Live Killzone!
  82. Jul 7, 2014
    I'll be scoring on this criteria, gameplay, visuals/audio, stability, and replayability.

Gameplay: 10/10
    WOW... this is what devs have been trying to do since the PSP first came out. Someone finally did it. Transplant the console FPS experience to a handheld. Gameplay is very similar to Killzone 3, and as far as handheld games go, this has some of the best overall gameplay. It doesn't
    feel gimped or crippled at all. The only gripe I have is having the option to aim using the tilt controls like Uncharted does would have been cool. This has everything you would expect from a modern shooter. The touch controls are pretty intuitive and don't detract from the experience. Games like this are the reason to buy a Vita.

Though this game isn't just a copy paste of Killzone 3. Guerilla added in, what is probably the precursor to the drone in Shadow Fall, several secondary pieces of equipment ranging from an orbital/high altitude laser strike to a drone with a pair of lobster like pincers that you can control and spike people though the head with.

There are also several new guns that aren't in the previous Killzone games, you get a silenced sniper rifle, a big one shot anti-material sniper rifle

Visuals/Audio: 9.5/10
    Holy crap! The visuals here are practically on par with the PS3. First impression was "Wow is this really a handheld?!" The graphics are simply amazing, think PS3 though HDMI. Plug in some surround sound headphones, and the audio will blow you away. I didn't see many visual glitches, nothing really glareing or constantly recurring. The sound effects from the Killzone 3 are all there, the only gripe I have is the lack of music. So .5 points off for that.

Stability: 10/10
    I didn't encounter any major game breaking bugs like can't advances or crashes. All the functionality worked the way it should.

Replayability: 10/10
    Aside from the just the normal campaign play though there are multiple challenge objectives for every mission, like stealthing an entire mission or killing everyone, or blowing up X number of people. Then there also all the weapons and equipment you can buy from the stereotypical Russian arms dealer (can't he be French or something for once? Like a French chain smoker?) you won't have enough money to buy everything from him on one play though.

Overall: 39.5/40
    As a console game this would have been a good game. I simply cannot shoved enough praise on this game without looking like a paid reviewer.

Rounding up, this game gets a 10.
  83. Sep 10, 2014
    This is a really fun game, the gameplay feels good, the guns feel balanced and the multiplayer feels fair. if anyone has a ps vita, i would recommend buying this game.
  84. May 14, 2014
    This is by far the best FPS game to grace a portable device. Everything about this game is just amazing. Unfortunately a lot of the professional reviewers keep comparing this game to its console counterpart, its a shame really because the vita is not a home console, nor does it play blu rays. Its a portable gaming system. Therefore there should not be a direct comparison at all! Anyway this game is simply masterpiece, the people involved should be given awards for their achievements. The bottom line without giving away any spoilers, if you own a Vita buy this game, if you don't it will be a sin! Expand
  85. Oct 9, 2013
    Killzone Mercenary is a game I want to give a glowing review, but i just can't. Let's just start off by saying this is the closest to an AAA game as you can get on a handheld. It only takes one glance to see that the game looks phenomenal. It only takes one listen to see that the sound design is fantastic. It only takes a few moments of playing to feel the precise aiming the second analog nub adds to the portable First-Person Shooter experience. It has all the technical things in place, but something is still holding it back from true greatness, some problem that could have been remedied with a more focused development. That, of course, is the length of the game.

Killzone Mercenary is short. Short short. I'm talking 3 hours (with dying a few times here and there). It's only 9 missions long, each one feeling largely the same as the last except for a change in scenery. It doesn't help that each mission consists of the same type of gameplay, over and over. It's mostly going to a point, placing a bomb, then holding out, then walking foward, then holding out. It starts and stops every few moments, making progress feel like a slow crawl, and ultimately, the missions to feel like little was actually accomplished. It's lazy mission design, clearly thrown together with storyline and setting as an afterthought. The storyline is acceptable, but with so little plot advancement, it goes too fast for you to even care. It could have been great, but since there are no real cutscenes outside of briefing screens, you don't particularly care for what is going on. Instead, the ending will only leave you staring at the screen wondering why it got so cheesy all of a sudden. Don't get me wrong, I love cheesy dialogue and epic last boss fights, but in this game it was just too rushed.

The controls are a huge step above Killzone 1, 2, and 3. The aiming is no longer stiff, instead smooth like Killzone HD. All of the actions are easy to perform, and the number of buttons the vita has keeps them from mapping a lot of actions to one button (though, sprinting and crouching are both the O button, which isn't a problem at all). My only problem is the touch screen. Most of the time it works like a charm. Some of the time it doesn't. Nothing is more frustrating than failing a melee because the touchscreen won't register you swiping your finger on it. It doesn't kill the gameplay by any means, it's just an annoyance. If they could have just mapped the executions to the face buttons or directional pad, it would have been much better.

The multiplayer in Mercenary is pretty good for a handheld. It supports 8 players across 3 game modes. Underwhelming? You bet. Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and Warzone are your only match types, with only a handful of maps. The maps could have been expanded a little and player count upped to 16, and it would have been a much more satisfying experience. Medal of Honor Heroes 2 supported 32 players, I believe, and that was on the PSP. The action itself, though, is where the game shines. The multiplayer is really fun once you get into a game, due to the excellent controls. The main problem with the gameplay itself is the spawn points, which seem to throw you in a select few random locations, sometimes right in front of an enemy, or right behind one. Then again, what shooter is perfect with spawn points? I really like the fact that each individual weapon has a purpose for the most part, as one isn't really super overpowered. It plays more like a rock/paper/scissors system, where you have the usual snipers, heavy weapons, assault rifles setup. The sidearms are no joke as well, with an awesome shotgun pistol among other things.

The unlocks system itself is a joke. Money comes too fast, and you'll have everything unlocked in no time. If you're a player that plays until you unlock everything, don't expect to stick with this game for long. By the time I finished the campaign, almost all of the primary weapons were unlocked, and a few sidearms were unlocked as well. Give it around 10 or so hours in multiplayer, and you'll have everything you could ever need to win in a fight. The only things that are expensive in the store are the Vanguard systems, which act as this game's killstreaks. They are pretty unbalanced, leaving someone with a lot more kills than they should have from one pickup, but they don't break the game like the first Modern Warfare or anything.

So, to bring this to a close, Mercenary is a pretty good shooter for a handheld, held back by its short length, lazy level design, and limited multiplayer. However, if you're looking for a game with high production values that will wow you, get it. It surpasses Golden Abyss in its production values, and that's saying something.
  86. Add
    Oct 21, 2013
    Honestly can't believe how much fun this game is. Really didn't expect it to be this good. I had a lot of fun and the whole time I was impressed I was playing on a handheld. I'm more pumped then ever for killzone shadow fall. Great gameplay and combat, level design and graphics. Just a great game.
  87. Oct 25, 2013
    This game is awesome! Get this game if you have a PS Vita Get a Vita and Killzone Mecenary if u don't own one yet All the high reviews= people who recognize fun and happiness All the low reviews= people who are lost and can't find happiness Killzone Mercenary- solid graphics, gameplay, multiplayer, dialog (sometimes cheese is served), sound effects powerful, many weapon choices, and challenging- to take on all the different mercenary missions. Expand
  88. Oct 27, 2013
    Great gameplay here!
    The story is good enough and the design is awesome !
    Fantastic stealth feeling, the Artificial intelligence is challenging, multiplayer and replay value...
    A mix between quake and metal gear solid. Recommended
  89. Oct 28, 2013
    I LOVE THIS GAME!!!! I have not play KZM online yet, I am still playing the Campaign. Like everyone else who said the Graphics are Amazing is right on the dot! This game has the best graphics on any Handheld game ever made! It looks So Damn realistic that I sometimes forget I am playing KZM on my Vita... It looks and feels like a PS3 game, but it is definitely not a PS3 game. Once I play the online and I Love it, I wil raise my ratings to a 10. Just for the fact that the graphics are F**king Amazing! Expand
  90. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is great, when you turn on the game you forget that it is on a portable, it shows off the true power and capability that vita contains within everything from air particle effects to massive falling structures is done at the highest standard we have seen on the vita, the sound is also great the guns sound and feel heavy emerging you into the role of a ruthless mercenary, the story is good it tells a tale of a blood and money driven mercenary that through the course of the game softens and becomes a mercenary that fights for a better course, the difficulty is spread out nicely even after completing the game on veteran difficulty i did not feel the rage, accept some moments where I was ripping hairs of my head but then it encouraged me to act more tactically by using specific van-guards. Van-guards are a great replacement of kill streak system, they are very futuristic yet realistic, there are a bunch of weapons to chose from each of them has better stats than others, of this front I prefer the Call of Duty declassified system where weapons are divided into separate category's e.g. Sniper, LMG and assault weapons, in killzone all weapons are divided into primary and secondary with no sub categories which is a bit messy, I also wish that there was more customisation of weapons and also more weapons. The multiplayer is equally as thrilling as the campaign all of the money and acquired weapons from the campaign carry over to the multiplayer (and vice versa). The multiplayer is great the maps are detailed and scaled perfectly so if you have 8 people in a lobby it is just like battlefield or cod on a smaller scale, Valor cards are a new implementation to show how good or how bad you are in the game, these are assigned daily depending on what weapons you use, how many kills you get and how many matches you have won the better the valor card the more it is worth and the higher rewards you obtain, to evaluate, this game is what Sony has promised us, now Sony has to continue giving their flagship franchises to developers that know the franchises, unlike with call of duty and resistance was given to nihilistic and we all know how it ended 10/10 Expand
  91. Nov 7, 2013
    Best portable shootah evah!
    No seriously, this is the Halo for the vita, you can't have an FPS of this magnitude on any other portable. (well you could technically, but you won't. This is too epic/involving for the cellphone audiences).
  92. Dec 26, 2013
    Graphics: Best VITA graphics to date. 10.

Sound: Missing that Killzone theme that stands out, voice acting is good, gun sounds, and enemy death sounds are killzone. 9.

Gameplay: The best FPS on the handheld device, multiplayer feels like the classic Killzone it should feel like. The campaign has a new arsenal of weapons and gadgets at your disposal. Great game, never feels
    repetitive, this is the best it’s going to get on the VITA. 10.

Story: The story was good, it didn't really feel like it filled in a gap in the Killzone universe but it does connect to it. No amazing plot twists, although there is one in particular. You’re a mercenary set out to do missions for money, the game does have its surprises, and it’s good. 8.

Replay Value: Plenty to do here, 9 mission campaigns, never ending multiplayer, collectibles, worth it, probably the best game on VITA out now. 10.

Overall Score: 9.4 out of 10.
  93. Dec 6, 2013
    Overall this is a great portable FPS with great graphics and pretty smooth game play, my only complaint is that sprinting is a bit difficult. But that is only a minor annoyance and is completely outweighed by the pros of this game. Killzone mercenary is a must have for vita owners!
  94. Dec 11, 2013
    I was thinking on upgrade my psp with a more powerful handheld and finally I bought vita with this game guided by general comments on the net. I was succesfull, the game is awesome and make me forget all my fears about making a mistake.
  95. May 19, 2014
    Just perfect. Simply the best game I have already played in the Playstation Vita. It's no coincidence that the game earn the best game of E3 for Playstation Vita. Excellent graphics, gameplay, multiplayer, etc... It values each cent vested in the game.
  96. Jan 27, 2014
    A truely great game with tons of replay ability with the covert, precision and demolition replay missions, the amount of times you can play it is almost endless. With a great campaign, extremely entertain multiplayer his is a must own for ps vita owners. It is being updated with the big and completely free update 5 coming out which includes offline multiplayer and two new maps. All in all though it plays great, looks great and even feels like a killzone on the ps3, to me it doesn't feel even like a handheld, this game is a must own. Expand
  97. Apr 29, 2014
    I purchased a PS Vita because I wanted to play full length AAA PS games on a portable device. But when I got the Vita I realized that there really isn't but ONE true AAA game in the entire PS store. And that game is Killzone: Mercenary.

The graphics in this game are just unreal being that this is on a portable device. It looks pretty much equal to Killzone 3. The textures and lighting
    are VERY high quality and the game actually renders in 960x540, the Vita's actual resolution, which you don't see very often and that's VERY impressive. No other game on the Vita comes close. Games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss look OK/Good for a handheld, but Uncharted ain't got nothing on Killzone: Mercenary.

Another great thing about this game is that it's like a FULL fledged console game. There's a full single player campaign which took me about 12 hours to beat(I played the game on the hardest difficulty and restarted a lot), and a Multiplayer with all types of different loadouts, guns, and grenades, along with 8 unique maps.

The thing I LOVE about the single player portion of the game is that you have numberous options on how you can approach you enemy. You can go in multiple directions, and you can go guns blazing, or you can kill them one by one, silently. I LOVE that you can go through the whole game and almost all the enemys silently, without even firing your gun. And in order to get "Intel", you'll need to do a LOT of silent kills if you want that accomplishment.

So because you simply CANNOT find a better portable game, I find it very hard to give this game anything but a 10/10.
  98. Feb 9, 2014
    This Killzone is better that Shadow Fall. It's the best Killzone. FPS on Playstation Vita it's very interesting experience, just like FPS on PSP. The best AAA on Vita except Terraway
  99. May 19, 2014
    My first ever game on my VITA, and it got me hooked. Finished the game, and I absolutely loved the graphics. Gameplay is solid. I haven't picked up the Botzone DLC, so that's an added bonus to the great game that it already is. Definitely the best FPS game on the vita.
  100. Mar 3, 2014
    A great game for the Vita and a great game by itself! Controls are very responsive and work well when in the heat of a firefight. The presentation is great and some of the best visuals you'll see on a handheld device. The story is average but that doesn't seem to matter to much when the game is split into 9 or so different missions that are perfect for gaming on the go. A save system that works throughout the missions would be a nice addition. A good game and the best FPS on the Vita. Expand

1. Feb 21, 2014
    As far as handheld shooters go, Killzone: Mercenary is undoubtedly the new gold standard and, quite frankly, makes a mockery out of its handheld peers.
  2. Nov 19, 2013
    Overall, Killzone is indeed the best the Vita has to offer in regards to those itching for a good shooter, but there is still room for improvement overall, and I hope that Guerilla’s next effort eclipses this one.
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    It’s a genuine handheld blockbuster, complete with cool scripted sequences, loud explosions, and surprisingly nice graphics for Vita’s not-so-top-notch hardware.