7.3

1. Mar 20, 2014
    Vlambeer is back to do what they do best - games that are easy to pick up and play for five minutes, or to get absorbed in for an hour. With fast, frantic air combat, a great art style, dynamic music, unlockable upgrades, and an addictive mission structure, Luftrausers is a must have for fans of arcade style shooters. There's not a ton of content here, but it's fun to experiment withVlambeer is back to do what they do best - games that are easy to pick up and play for five minutes, or to get absorbed in for an hour. With fast, frantic air combat, a great art style, dynamic music, unlockable upgrades, and an addictive mission structure, Luftrausers is a must have for fans of arcade style shooters. There's not a ton of content here, but it's fun to experiment with different plane loadouts as you complete missions with specific objectives like "kill # boats" or "kill # planes without shooting." Bullets can come from anywhere: boats, planes, jets, submarine-fired rockets, battleships, blimps, etc... and you can get into some really tense situations. But if you die, no problem, just refit your ship and get flying, ace. Expand
  2. Apr 4, 2014
    You gotta give Devolver Digital props. They have delivered some bodacious titles recently. The Shadow Warrior reboot was glorious. Every game oozes with quality and this is no exception. For what it is, it brings exactly what is necessary to make a quality video game on Vita. Controls that are easy to pick up but easy to master? Check. Able to be played in short bursts or longYou gotta give Devolver Digital props. They have delivered some bodacious titles recently. The Shadow Warrior reboot was glorious. Every game oozes with quality and this is no exception. For what it is, it brings exactly what is necessary to make a quality video game on Vita. Controls that are easy to pick up but easy to master? Check. Able to be played in short bursts or long marathons? Check. Music that compliments the gameplay? Check (although really, why would you not play your OWN music with this?). Interesting and/or more than adequate graphics? Check. All of this can be adjusted by adjusting your loadout. Sucking too much? Try some different gear. Strap on that cannon and nuke armor and prepare for some residual earnings. Too godly? Try getting by on your farted bullets only to propel you, and some weak armor.

Actually, the graphics may be one of the things that turns people off when in fact it's what keeps the game playable at higher 'levels' of gameplay. It is easy to see your ship against the bright background as well as enemy ships, missiles, bullets, lasers, kamikazes and whatever else in bullet hell that is seeking to destroy you. Without such contrast it would be difficult to survive. Also, for some they may not appreciate the fact there is no story to speak of. This is an arcade shoot 'em up. Gameplay only.

Devolver Digital is a studio that seems to really be putting some interesting ideas into play. Although you really cant compare Luftrausers with their AAA titles - this is actually why I was not afraid at all to purchase this game for 10 chucks on PSN - the studios reputation with me.

In conclusion, the price, gameplay and especially the GAME SIZE (only 66 MB!!) all lead me to give this game a ten. It's not perfect - but factoring in the file size on top of the extreme quality of game play (plays exactly like the arcade shooters of your youth - eat your Big League Chew) it deserves it. It almost feels like the devs are sticking it to Sony with such a tiny, quality game.

Without the file size buff, a very solid '9'. A '10' because it barely scratches your memory card, and that is something all Vita gamers can appreciate.
  3. Apr 8, 2014
    The game is a lot of fun and making your own planes is awesome. But the game gets repetitive really fast as there is only one theatre of battle and just a few enemy types. And dying over and over again gets old. But a good blast for a few hours and the odd run when you are bored but that's about it. I hope they can expand on the game and make a sequel with more content.
  4. Mar 24, 2014
    This is very similar to many existing games, but there are 3 things that make Luftrausers stick out among those. First, plane customization is fun and addictive. You can modify the engine, body, and weapon of your plane, and each piece is unlocked by completing objectives with the other pieces. Second, you can stall your plane and let gravity take its course. This gives you the opportunityThis is very similar to many existing games, but there are 3 things that make Luftrausers stick out among those. First, plane customization is fun and addictive. You can modify the engine, body, and weapon of your plane, and each piece is unlocked by completing objectives with the other pieces. Second, you can stall your plane and let gravity take its course. This gives you the opportunity to pull off some awesome maneuvers and also makes it a little bit more difficult and interesting. Third, the art style of this game is completely unique. It's monochrome with pixelated graphics that remind me of playing GameBoy games on GBColor.

I would score it a 10, but for just a single player game with one map and game type, $10 seems just a little steep. I was happy to pay $8 for it on sale.
  5. Mar 27, 2014
    it is addictive, it is fun, it is hard, it is rewarding and it is stylish as. Luftrausers provides some of the most addictive pick up and play fun that i have ever had on my vita. You can play for 5 minutes or an hour dashing around with your little plane avoid a storm of enemy fire, the ocean and incoming planes. There is multiple upgrades to unlock, challenges to complete and levels toit is addictive, it is fun, it is hard, it is rewarding and it is stylish as. Luftrausers provides some of the most addictive pick up and play fun that i have ever had on my vita. You can play for 5 minutes or an hour dashing around with your little plane avoid a storm of enemy fire, the ocean and incoming planes. There is multiple upgrades to unlock, challenges to complete and levels to beat. This is a game that slipped under my radar but has provided me with a ton of fun in quick bursts. The soundtrack is also fantastic and very catchy. This is a great game if you are looking for an arcade style shooter with plenty of personality Expand
  6. Apr 2, 2014
    This game is insanely addictive. Even with inFAMOUS in my ps4, I've been putting more time and thought into this amazing Vita game. Finding airplane combinations that you can use well is a blast, and keeping your multiplier up is a challenge. Highscore chasing hasn't been this fun in a long time.
  7. Jun 27, 2014
    Featuring simple sprite based graphics Luftrausers is a 2d aerial shooter that throws the player into fast paced aerial dogfights. The controls are intuitive and easy to get the hang off and the central mechanic, which sees health only being restored if the player stops firing and thus risking their multiplier bonus, adds a bit of tactical depth to proceedings.

Best played in small

Best played in small bursts Luftrausers does offer certain objectives to fulfill (such as destroying a certain number of battleships) but, with enemies being randomly generated each time you restart, it is really more of a 'high score' game. Disappointingly their are no online or friend leaderboards which, for me at least, greatly diminished its long term appeal but it is a game that I still come back to every now and then when I have a bit of time to kill.
  8. Nov 13, 2014
    Nice little indie surprise. It's extremely simple, but very effective. Perfect for Vita as you will be usually playing this in short bursts, I had lots of fun trying to achieve various mission objectives, mixing up the equipment of your planecraft that can change your playstyle quite a lot and add some variability. Fun. However, the problem is that you're basically playing the same thingNice little indie surprise. It's extremely simple, but very effective. Perfect for Vita as you will be usually playing this in short bursts, I had lots of fun trying to achieve various mission objectives, mixing up the equipment of your planecraft that can change your playstyle quite a lot and add some variability. Fun. However, the problem is that you're basically playing the same thing over and over again, there is no level variation, no story mode, nothing, 1 simple mode that works well, but that's all this game has to offer. It feels like a promising demo that is waiting for it's main content to be added. I don't mind as I got this for free on PS+, but people who pay for this might not be very happy about that. 6/10 Expand
  9. Apr 23, 2014
    How far could you have taken the amount of combinations of Luftrausers? Who Knows? What i do know is that you have created an amazing game that can not only challenge you in so many ways but remind you that you have to challenge yourself. Killing hours with this game has been a pleasure, its an awesome game to kill time with especially while waiting for larger games to download off of theHow far could you have taken the amount of combinations of Luftrausers? Who Knows? What i do know is that you have created an amazing game that can not only challenge you in so many ways but remind you that you have to challenge yourself. Killing hours with this game has been a pleasure, its an awesome game to kill time with especially while waiting for larger games to download off of the PSN. I love tweaking my combinations and tactics with those combinations and seeing different results. This game can keep you on your toes. Expand
  10. Apr 30, 2014
    Luftrausers is one of those titles where a small indie developer shows that it can roll with the big boys. Simplistic yet incredibly creative and addicting. Frustrating yet hard to put down, a mix that few games get right. The sepia color scheme is a treat and seeing the flaming bits of debris that was once your enemies raining from the sky never gets old. This title is best played onLuftrausers is one of those titles where a small indie developer shows that it can roll with the big boys. Simplistic yet incredibly creative and addicting. Frustrating yet hard to put down, a mix that few games get right. The sepia color scheme is a treat and seeing the flaming bits of debris that was once your enemies raining from the sky never gets old. This title is best played on the vita I feel, but should not be passed up no matter what console your reppin'. Expand
  11. May 9, 2014
    This game is amazing! This game gave me a few good hours of entertainment. The combat is really fun the customizable rausers where awesome! There are a few problems like the game is a bit of a grind fest but if you can look past that go pick this game up.
  12. Oct 13, 2014
    Great addicting game! I cant give it higher score than 7 because its too simple (even wings of fury on Amiga was more complex). BUT! Its really well made twin stick shooter. The airship controls are excellent, the game is insanely hard and perfect for short bursts in bus/toilet/long line in market :)
    Sound 8/10 (!) Graphics 8/10 (!!!) Gameplay 9/10 (!!!)
    Verdict: Why I gave it only 7?
    Sound 8/10 (!) Graphics 8/10 (!!!) Gameplay 9/10 (!!!)
    Verdict: Why I gave it only 7? Because... I dont see reason to give it higher score. Even though it has great gameplay - its just too simple. Maybe if they gave it more polish, but in current state its solid good game.
  13. Nov 9, 2014
    Luftrausers is a fun and addictive game for a few hours. It is a good game on the go since most of the games last for only a few minutes, but after playing for a couple of hours(5-6), I deleted the game since there was not enough content to keep me playing.
    Strength:
    - One or two minutes games - Good customization of the aircraft - Excellent control Weaknesses: - I would I like 10
    Strength:
    - One or two minutes games
    - Good customization of the aircraft
    - Excellent control

Weaknesses:
    - I would I like 10 more upgrades in each part of the ship to keep me playing
    - Unlocking different colors for the game is ok at best.
    - Not enough challenges
  14. Nov 27, 2014
    A rather retro feeling arcade game. The 2D shoot em' up, dogfight style gameplay can be quite fun. There are plenty of unlockable parts which means you can create an aircraft that suits how you play. There are objectives that you must tackle in order to get these parts and it can be quite the entertaining high-score kind of game.

I feel that not having the ability to cross-save between

I feel that not having the ability to cross-save between the PS3 and Vita is a missed opportunity. The gameplay and everything is solid, but overall it just didn't hold my attention for long. It's one I can see myself picking up every now and then when I've got nothing better to do and just playing around with it for a bit. However when I'm looking to put some time into gaming I see myself passing this one up in favor of deeper and more gripping gaming experiences. Perhaps because of that is why it feels more at home on the Vita.

Overall it's solid and can be entertaining in short bursts. I know there's definitely a crowd out there who will eat this up. For me though it's a rather disposable experience. One that I goofed around with for a bit before moving on to bigger and better things. It provided some decent entertainment for a short period of time, but I quickly found myself done with it. My total score for the game is a 6.7/10.
  15. Dec 13, 2014
    I had heard good things about this game so I was excited to pick it up, essentially you fly around a little plane taking on boats, planes, shooting down missiles etc... You play on a randomly generated 2d plane until you die then use your points to buy upgrades and try again. I'm usually not into these games but it did hook me for awhile. The flying mechanic is a little tricky to learn.I had heard good things about this game so I was excited to pick it up, essentially you fly around a little plane taking on boats, planes, shooting down missiles etc... You play on a randomly generated 2d plane until you die then use your points to buy upgrades and try again. I'm usually not into these games but it did hook me for awhile. The flying mechanic is a little tricky to learn. You have shields which regenerate when you stop shooting,me mechanic I thought worked very well. While not totally for me it is easy to see why this is popular, I could see it being addicting for some. Expand

1. May 6, 2014
    This army-themed game runs very smoothly. It is easy to quickly start and end a game, although the controls are something to get used to. It is advisable to give this game a chance, because there is more to it than the funny animation style and sepia colors. For example, a very pleasant system for leveling up, which is typically Vlambeer.
  2. The definition of a pick up and play that's fiendishly addictive. This is perfect for the Vita. [May 2014, p77]
  3. Apr 15, 2014
    Once you take-off, you won't stop playing for quite a bit.