7.4

1. Apr 4, 2014
    You gotta give Devolver Digital props. They have delivered some bodacious titles recently. The Shadow Warrior reboot was glorious. Every game oozes with quality and this is no exception. For what it is, it brings exactly what is necessary to make a quality video game on Vita. Controls that are easy to pick up but easy to master? Check. Able to be played in short bursts or long marathons? Check. Music that compliments the gameplay? Check (although really, why would you not play your OWN music with this?). Interesting and/or more than adequate graphics? Check. All of this can be adjusted by adjusting your loadout. Sucking too much? Try some different gear. Strap on that cannon and nuke armor and prepare for some residual earnings. Too godly? Try getting by on your farted bullets only to propel you, and some weak armor.

Actually, the graphics may be one of the things that turns people off when in fact it's what keeps the game playable at higher 'levels' of gameplay. It is easy to see your ship against the bright background as well as enemy ships, missiles, bullets, lasers, kamikazes and whatever else in bullet hell that is seeking to destroy you. Without such contrast it would be difficult to survive. Also, for some they may not appreciate the fact there is no story to speak of. This is an arcade shoot 'em up. Gameplay only.

Devolver Digital is a studio that seems to really be putting some interesting ideas into play. Although you really cant compare Luftrausers with their AAA titles - this is actually why I was not afraid at all to purchase this game for 10 chucks on PSN - the studios reputation with me.

In conclusion, the price, gameplay and especially the GAME SIZE (only 66 MB!!) all lead me to give this game a ten. It's not perfect - but factoring in the file size on top of the extreme quality of game play (plays exactly like the arcade shooters of your youth - eat your Big League Chew) it deserves it. It almost feels like the devs are sticking it to Sony with such a tiny, quality game.

Without the file size buff, a very solid '9'. A '10' because it barely scratches your memory card, and that is something all Vita gamers can appreciate.
  2. Mar 24, 2014
    This is very similar to many existing games, but there are 3 things that make Luftrausers stick out among those. First, plane customization is fun and addictive. You can modify the engine, body, and weapon of your plane, and each piece is unlocked by completing objectives with the other pieces. Second, you can stall your plane and let gravity take its course. This gives you the opportunity to pull off some awesome maneuvers and also makes it a little bit more difficult and interesting. Third, the art style of this game is completely unique. It's monochrome with pixelated graphics that remind me of playing GameBoy games on GBColor.

I would score it a 10, but for just a single player game with one map and game type, $10 seems just a little steep. I was happy to pay $8 for it on sale.
  3. Mar 27, 2014
    it is addictive, it is fun, it is hard, it is rewarding and it is stylish as. Luftrausers provides some of the most addictive pick up and play fun that i have ever had on my vita. You can play for 5 minutes or an hour dashing around with your little plane avoid a storm of enemy fire, the ocean and incoming planes. There is multiple upgrades to unlock, challenges to complete and levels to beat. This is a game that slipped under my radar but has provided me with a ton of fun in quick bursts. The soundtrack is also fantastic and very catchy. This is a great game if you are looking for an arcade style shooter with plenty of personality Expand
  4. Apr 2, 2014
    This game is insanely addictive. Even with inFAMOUS in my ps4, I've been putting more time and thought into this amazing Vita game. Finding airplane combinations that you can use well is a blast, and keeping your multiplier up is a challenge. Highscore chasing hasn't been this fun in a long time.
  5. Apr 23, 2014
    How far could you have taken the amount of combinations of Luftrausers? Who Knows? What i do know is that you have created an amazing game that can not only challenge you in so many ways but remind you that you have to challenge yourself. Killing hours with this game has been a pleasure, its an awesome game to kill time with especially while waiting for larger games to download off of the PSN. I love tweaking my combinations and tactics with those combinations and seeing different results. This game can keep you on your toes. Expand
  6. Apr 30, 2014
    Luftrausers is one of those titles where a small indie developer shows that it can roll with the big boys. Simplistic yet incredibly creative and addicting. Frustrating yet hard to put down, a mix that few games get right. The sepia color scheme is a treat and seeing the flaming bits of debris that was once your enemies raining from the sky never gets old. This title is best played on the vita I feel, but should not be passed up no matter what console your reppin'. Expand

1. May 6, 2014
    This army-themed game runs very smoothly. It is easy to quickly start and end a game, although the controls are something to get used to. It is advisable to give this game a chance, because there is more to it than the funny animation style and sepia colors. For example, a very pleasant system for leveling up, which is typically Vlambeer.
  2. The definition of a pick up and play that's fiendishly addictive. This is perfect for the Vita. [May 2014, p77]
  3. Apr 15, 2014
    Once you take-off, you won't stop playing for quite a bit.