8.4

1. Jun 12, 2012
    I got my copy of MGS HD Collection a day early and I've been playing ever since.

The best compliment I can give it is that it's a perfect reproduction of the original games (Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3) with improved graphics.

The original games were so incredibly good that giving this game anything less than a 10 would be a travesty. I'm disappointed (and perplexed)
    by the fact that Peace Walker wasn't included in the package as it was in the console version, but it is absolutely amazing having these legendary games in your pocket. Gameplay-wise they are as flawless as always. Time has done nothing to diminish their awesomeness. Graphically they are much improved from the originals. They look gorgeous on the Vita's screen. Expand
  2. Jun 13, 2012
    This is my first MGS game...and it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The game has an incredibly deep story, fairly consistent graphics for a remastered game, but what really blows away my mind are the controls. Resistance had some control problems, but this kind of reinvents the way tps and fps on the vita should have. I haven't finished the games yet, but they seem to be long lasting, as I'm well into 5 hours into MGS 2 part and 2 hours on the MGS 3 part and it doesn't seem to be approaching the end. A bang for your bucks in every possible way. Expand
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    Love Metal Gear, I always dreamed of playing it on a hand-held when I first bought the game. But Konami has such serious flaws with such a great game. First of all, why aren't the subsistence features added on? You know, stuff like Secret theater, VR Training, Boss Rush, Snake Vs. Monkey, Metal Gear Skateboarding, Did I mention Boss rush? So much taken away, FOR NO GOOD REASON. Why did they take that out? Another thing is that Konami had to be greedy jerks and NOT leave in Metal Gear Peace Walker. This whole Transferring thing is a complete gimmick, I think people are patient enough to wait before playing this game on the ps3. You might as well just buy the originals, after all those had much more features than this game. This game is only good if you are new to the whole franchise in which I say, you are better off just buying the subsistence versions and getting peace walker for your psp because if you don't, you won't be truly enveloped in the Metal gear experience. I'd like to say that the metal gear and metal gear II add-ons were nice however, but these guys had a chance to go above and beyond and didn't take it. Expand
  4. Jun 15, 2012
    Great storyline, unique boss fights, amazing graphics. Konami did a good job with the vita version of the game. However, there are two annoying traits that prevents me from giving it a perfect score. 1) The controls are god awful. I was 15 hours into the game and I still could not wrap my head around the nonsensical control choices implemented by developers. I would be in a heated firefight a lot of times and end up sticking to walls by accident while trying to run away. Sometimes when Im in first person view, aiming down will cause my character to get in the prone position. And the one perk I hate the most, is the inability to readily aim the way I want to while using a long gun. Im either aiming down the sights or shooting from the hip. It seems almost random. In tense battles my view is always involuntarily zooming in and out. 2) The second thing I hate is the developers' reluctance to add a restart option. The only way I can retry is by saving, then quitting the game, and reloading the game, or by standing there and waiting for the enememies to kill me. Seriously Konami, for the most part you guys are game developing geniuses, but theres a portion of you thats a damn stubborn dumb ass. Find someone else to map controls for you next time because you sre incompetent in that department. Expand
  5. Jun 12, 2012
    This is in my opinion the best PS Vita experience out there today. You don't sacrifice much if anything compared to the console edition of the game. I was worry that the Vita version wouldn't look good compared to the PS3 version, but the game looks amazing on the Vita. After owning MGS3 for both the Vita and 3DS the Vita does have the better version. The transfer of saves between the PS3 and Vita work without any problems. The trophies are cross compatible as well. If you earn a trophy on PS3, you earn it as well on the Vita. But, if you have past saves on PS3 that was started before the Vita release trophies will be disabled for that save but save transfer still works without a problem. Any new save will have trophy transfer. It would of been nice to have Peace Walker on this game, but you truly get a console experience on a handheld. Expand
  6. Sep 14, 2012
    The MGS HD collection loses very little from its console counter part (I'm gonna pretend peacewalker wasn't in the console version) The transfarring abilities (The ability to transfer data between the PS3 version and PSV version) is pretty cool especially since you can double up on trophies. Graphics: Graphically the games are just find - MGS 3 HD may have more visual fidelity out of the package but overall there is enough polish here for it to be called and 'HD' edition. 7.5
    Gameplay: The game plays just as fantastically as it does on any console excellently. The only irritant I had in the conversion to the PSV was the fact that to do the chin ups in MGS2 I had to get finger cramps from having to pinch in and out repeatedly on the rear touch pad. Other additional touch controls ass little to the experience, however they are not all useless as the peeking around the corner with the rear touch proves good when trying to sneak around. Whilst MGS3 may be a technically better game in most ways for new comers it is definately advisable that MGS 2 should be played first as it is an easier access point and there is a lot of fun from various modes packed in with 2 that are absent from 3. 9.0
    Presentation: The menus and UI are generally well thought out and fit the vita system quite well especially the new mini-touch menus for choosing weapons and items when traversing around the map. 8.5
    Lasting Appeal: There is enough to do between the games and they fit well for the handheld with their length. You might get around 20 hours gameplay between the two games - which both have seperate trophy sets to boot. Not to mention MG1 and MG2 are included in the MGS 3 HD package so there is enough to do in the game for it to last a while. 9,0
    In conclusion whilst the HD edition on Vita is fantastic in most aspects there are some problems at times with the controls and the abscence of Peacewalker HD gets rid of the online aspect getting rid of potentially 10 more hours of fun roughly.
  7. X19
    Jun 19, 2012
    First off, I'd like to address Peace Walker's absence. Many rush to the conclusion that Konami are greedy bastards. That's not the case. This collection is 3.3 GB. This is the limit for all PS Vita games. Proof: Uncharted Golden Abyss, Mortal Kombat, and Resistance Burning Skies are all around 3 GB. Based off this info, it's completely logical to assume Sony has set a limit of no more than 3.5 GB. Therefore Peace Walker was ruled out due to the fact that it's still obtainable to play on the Vita. So, now to the actual game. Both of these games are here in their entirety (albeit a few missing game modes as veterans say). The story mode lasts about 12-13 hours for each game. Plus the fact that it's highly replay able and this game will easily last your around 30 hours. They both play well and use touch controls rather well. Most of the gestures are used with the rear touch pad which isn't a plus in my opinion, but works. Overall, I'd say this is a must buy for the Vita especially if you haven't played these before. Expand
  8. Dec 27, 2012
    We will kick this off with the one major drawback to the PS Vita version. Peace Walker. Yes, its a bit of a pain its not here. It was very enjoyable on the PSP but fortunately, like the majority of Peace Walker players, my copy was digital so it is a non issue for me. What you do get in the collection is two of the best games of the previous generation, remastered in stunning HD and redeveloped specifically for the Vita. The controls while not as comfortable as a PS3 controller are very well implemented and the use of touch mechanics is intuitive rather than tacked on and - unlike many "touch" games - work to bring you into the game and all this helps you get as immersed as if you were playing on a console.

Every thing is there. the music, the dialogue, the action the incredible cut scenes. Its even more gorgeous than it was on the PS2 and its in the palm of your hand. It might not be the kind of pick up and play game you want from a handheld but if you let it suck you in there is no better way to play these two games.
  9. Aug 5, 2014
    As I have yet to play MGS3, this review will only cover MGS2. I will edit this article once I've beaten MGS3.

How is it possible to both love and hate a video game? Hate is a strong word, perhaps, but there were times while re-playing MGS2 that made me furious with frustration... a frustration that would, minutes later, be replaced with the satisfaction of an interesting cut scene, or
    from having successfully traversed entire sections of the game without being detected. Hate, love, hate, love. But mostly love.

[Graphics]
    There's no arguing that the game looks beautiful on the Vita's screen. Despite the Big Shell's overall drabness, it still manages to fill the screen with interesting and engaging visuals that pop with clarity from its high-resolution makeover. The cut-scenes are very enjoyable, with hollywood-level editing and camera work, and the character models have just enough detail to be able to read subtle facial cues and body language, which is impressive for a game that was released in 2000-2001.

[Sound]
    Sound has always played a key role in MGS games, with a powerful and engaging electronica/symphonic soundtrack (with a bit of jazz thrown in at the end of the game), great sound effects, and the heart-stopping noise that happens when Raiden or Snake is discovered by the enemies. My only gripe is that the voice acting ranges tremendously between excellent to laughable, and when it's bad, it manages to pull you away from the immersion of the game and the story.

[Story]
    Most of Raiden's communications take place over the radio codec with his Commanding Officer, Snake, or Rose, his girlfriend. Most communications are more than enjoyable, giving the player insight into missions and the complex back story that takes place on Big Shell and in the MGS universe at large... but then there's Rose. Rose is the pure definition of annoying girlfriend/boyfriend who nitpicks at the most asinine subjects, distracting Raiden (who happens to be on a life-threatening sneaking mission, btw) with her personal hangups, jealousies, accusations of him cheating, and all kinds of other nonsensical overly-dramatic BS that just make you roll your eyes. Raiden is a trained murderer, a secret agent and blackops specialist, he hasn't the time for your sh*t, Rose.
    The good thing is that you can easily skip these annoying and unfortunate conversations, as they have very little bearing on the story itself.

That aside, the rest of the story is actually quite fascinating, and it really opens up near the end of the game. Lofty philosophies about defining reality for the self, what it means to have a self, information in the modern digital age, all mixed into a tactical sneaking game. It's quite wonderful to see a game's story not pull any of its punches in regards to throwing complex and thoughtful ideas at its audience.
    The story makes playing in bed before sleep enjoyable and relaxing. You can expect 10-15 minute story driven conversations and cut-scenes between bouts of action, and these help maintain the pace of the story along the way. It's quite awesome, actually.

[Gameplay]
    When I say love and hate, it's mostly regarding the now dated controls and gameplay that MGS2 offers. While fun, hectic, and very challenging, the gameplay is marred, even crippled at times, by a confusing and unintuitive control scheme that prevents quick and instant reactions to battle situations. You can't move while in first person mode, the button layout is a confused mess, you often find yourself crouching and laying prone when you should be running like hell or firing at enemies. It requires a lot of precision, and while it is functional (I did beat the game and not walk away, after all), I felt like they could have improved upon it while updating the graphics and sound for the HD remake. I think they could have included a FPS mode to help take down enemies, and I think the game would have benefited from a better crouching button layout.

Battles with the enemies, or sneaking past them, can be as fun as they can be anger inducing. The Camera is quite unforgiving, even designed to catch you at times. Moments like these can be prevented and force you to think on your toes. In fact, many situations in the game force you to think outside of the box to solve clever and very satisfying puzzles, such as having to use the sniper rifle to take out explosive control boxes along a bridge, with the control boxes being hidden by clever distractions. Such mini-games exist throughout, and are arguably the best part of the game. The boss battles are fast and satisfying as well, skirting a line between hard and doable. Each scenario forces you to take advantage of your equipment and skills, ensuring that the game never gets repetitive, even as you run back and forth between Big Shell’s sections.

[Overall]
    This is a classic game whose flaws only serve to act as a friendly reminder of how far we've come in terms of gameplay.
  10. Jun 22, 2012
    The amount of awesome content on this cartridge is staggering. To have two of arguably the best video games of all time on a handhold console is amazing, and this is easily the best game you can get for the vita right now. It's just a joy to have it! It would have been nice to have Peacewalker included but (with the size constraints of the game cartridge) it's understandable that it's not. With the sheer amount of things to do in each of these games (including MGS2's VR missions, which are PERFECT on the go), the MGSHD collection will not be leaving my vita for a long time and I just can't say enough about how great it is to have these games on a portable device. I'd give this game an 11 out of 10 if I could. Expand
  11. Aug 6, 2012
    MGS HD Collection for the PS Vita, is a most-have for the handheld device . Despite , not exactly the perfect compilation of games ( I mean , both are amazing games, it's just that , there's not a third one ,whether Portable Ops or Peace Walker ) . Few new features like the touch movements , Rear pad seems interesting and may make the game feel a little " new " at the moment , but does not exactly enhance the experience though ,the game feels and plays on par of the cousins versions ( console ). Also , its a good start for those that don't have a PS3 and 360 , although for those that have the systems , consider a better choice the console versions . Expand
  12. Dec 2, 2012
    Meh. The games included are okay, but I'm baffled as to why they didn't include Peace Walker, which is arguably one of the best handhelds of all time. And it started as a handheld, so there would be nothing to port. Oh well.
  13. Jun 13, 2012
    2 of the greatest games on the Playstation 2 have been ported with care onto the Playstation Vita, and the transition is a smooth, 60 frames per second one. If you've ever wanted to play these two classics on the go, the Vita iteration is the way to go
  14. Jul 21, 2012
    Worth every penny if you're an MGS fan. It WILL be worth every penny once someone who has never played MGS buys it and beats the games. Trust me...Metal Gear Solid is one of the best games you could ever play.
  15. Jun 13, 2012
    What can I say? It is phenomenal. When I heard this was coming out for the vita, I knew I would get it on the day it came out. I was so blown away by the graphics of these games on the ps2, but after all of this time I didn't expect the hd upgrade to make a huge difference. I was wrong because the graphics are great. Every now and then you will see a wonky looking texture, but it amazes me anyway. The sound was top notch when these games were released, and it doesn't disappoint here either. Finally the touch screen controls make equipping items a breeze. I cannot say a single bad thing about this game at all. Many complain that peace walker didn't make it, but it's obvious that they will make more money by not packaging it in and having you buy it separately through the psn. It blows, but I cannot let that change my score. Even without that peacewalker, you get an amazing package that will keep you busy for a long time! Expand
  16. Feb 22, 2013
    Incredible story filled with twists. It was nice to start of with the original metal gear solid and then go right into the hd mgs2. Goodness the improvement in controls and graphics left me stunned. Music was phenomenal. There were some noticeable glitches like the inability to move while hanging off a rail sometimes, and would require you to get back up and try it again in hopes that you will be able to move this time. Unfortunately this resulted in at least 10 or so death as it is very easy to fall off the edge when trying to get to the rail just to repeat the process. Dialogue sometimes glitched but it wasn't a big deal. The story and great gameplay and music were far too good to put this anything less than 10/10. Expand
  17. Jun 12, 2012
    It's two of the best games from the PS2 era and they both play and look great on the Vita. Can't give this a 10 because they didn't include Peace Walker because Konami said, and I'm quoting here, they stand to make more money by forcing people to buy Peace Walker through the PSN than they would to include it in this bundle. It's true and it's a good business move but that doesn't make it right for us as the consumer. Still, both of these games are great and both games of the "deluxe" editions, which include extra side missions, more story elements, and MGS 3 includes a version of MGS 1 from the early playstation days. So, essentially, your getting 3 of some of the best last generation games for 40 bucks to play on the go. It really is a great deal, even if you have played and beaten all 3 of them, like I have. One of the best games on the Vita right now and it'll last you for quite awhile. Expand
  18. May 13, 2013
    Thanks Kojima and his team to play these games after selling my ps2 years ago. A great port, after trying konami's silent hill hd for ps3. that was an epic fail.
  19. Jun 16, 2012
    By far the best game for the vita. Gravity Rush gives it a good run for it's money, but you absolutely must pick up this game. The HD is incredible. I never enjoyed MGS3, but I would pay $40 alone just to play MGS2 in HD portably. Most fun I've had in years.
  20. Jul 31, 2012
    Peacewalker.... Peacewalker!? PEACEWALKEER! (If mgs: peacewalker was included, it would be a 10.) You already know how great mgs is, so pick it up. It would also be cool if they added the first mgs into this collection too, just for the sake of the story (Or at least a cinematic recap of sorts). But... that may be asking too much. The thing that I love about metal gear solid is the really dumb sense of humour that helps to settle you down from some of the more serious parts. If you didn't have the patience to play these games back in the day, then you wont be able to play them now, thought. Other than a few touch controls (which can be a little hit or miss) this game remains as deep, interesting and methodical, or as slow, boring and detached as you remember it. Fortunately, anyone who isn't an impatient and whining needs-in-your-face-action-all-the-time little kid, should remember these games as the masterpieces that they are. Expand
  21. Jun 19, 2012
    This is a great collection if you own a vita. I have never played these titles. I have only played portable ops, PO+ and Peacewalker (which I am still playing on my PSPgo damn Hind boss got me stuck) I am enjoying this a lot, the graphics are great the value is great. What are you waiting for.
  22. Jun 28, 2012
    Absolutely amazing. First off, quit complaining that there are only 2 game in this package! You are getting two of the best games ever, remastered, portable, and better than ever. I prefer to play this now compared to anything new on my console. These games are complete masterpieces and if you want to play Peace Walker go ahead and get your PSP out or download it to your Vita already. The game does have unique controls but it doesn't feel that different from past Metal Gear games. I've always thought they were a little quirky. Finally, don't complain about Snake snow boarding not being included. No one buys Metal Gear games to play a joke snow boarding level. If you are complaining about that you need a tranquilizer dart to the head. Rush out and buy this already. Expand
  23. Jun 12, 2012
    Two great games redone in HD while still staying true to the originals. Unfortunately, it lacks Peacewalker, though it makes up for this in the form of touchscreen and rear touchpad controls, as well as redone button controls. Great game.
  24. Aug 3, 2012
    I haven't played these games since the days of the PS2 but they still hold up today. They are both fantastic games with brilliant graphics and the gameplay is still as good as ever. There should be no doubt that everyone should get this game. If I was to have any problems it would be that Peace Walker is missing but you are still getting two of the best games that were released on the PS2
  25. Jun 12, 2012
    This is hands down, one of the best PSVita game ever, 2 epic PS2 games remastered for the Vita, I can finally play the my two favorite games on the go!
  26. Jun 13, 2012
    The best version of two of the best PS2 games of all time. The controls take getting used to, or getting re-used to, but once you've gotten them down an amazing narrative tour-de-force drags you kicking and screaming through **** crazy conspiracies and villains. Experience it. Again.
  27. Jul 3, 2012
    The magnific Metal Gear serie, now on PS Vita. Really awesome! Terrific! The jogability, story and the characters are perfect! Just like the version of the games for PS2 and PS3. I'm a huge fan of the serie.
  28. Aug 25, 2012
    The likely thing is, my review won't be found/rated by anyone. As i'm too late to the reviewing party. I am too late to be noticed and to deliver my accurate review. But anyway, if you pay £23 for this game you will have a similar experience to me. I have Fully completed every one of the four Metal Gear games(yes four, including the Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater) and its a real shame that the majority of reviews out there are by people who have played the game for an hour/not played it have played it but won't be able to be found through the massive load of crap reviews. This game is golden, while we have already seen it all before it still shines with content. Snake Eater makes me scream with happiness as it shows me the ways of a real content filled stealth/survival game. A.k.a its awesome. Gameplay is perfect, the characters are memorable and the story, oh the story, is mind blowing. Much love for the king of all games which is Snake Eater. Now you have MGS2. Ok, i'll put my hands in the air and say it. This was the first ever time i'd played MGS2. But i'd heard the hype. Now, after playing it, I can officially say its a massive meh. Its good, just not "lets all go ape about it!". Now the two MGX games are great nostalgia rush. While it doesn't feel so accessible and easy to understand it still play, it feels great to play it and is still tense. A quick over view on the games. But you get the idea. Now about those "comments" people have about the games. Its disturbing. People have chucked their toys out the pram. "WHERE IS METAL GEAR SOLID PEACE WALKER!? I'M A SPOILT MAN-CHILD!!!"(spoilt is a British term for a child who gets everything they want so become a little **** I have had enough of this bull****. Konami could have chucked it in there, Konami could have charged £35 like the PS3 game instead of charging £23, Konami left it out for a reason you absolute retards. If you bought Peace Walker for your PSP on the PSN because you couldn't get it from any store like me, it means you have Peace Walker waiting for you on there all ready. DUHHHHHHH!?!?!?!? Konami has done great, give the dog a bone guys. Expand
  29. Jun 25, 2012
    Great port but Where is portable ops?... Oh wait , you can found it in playstation network, stop this nonsenses, two good games but i dont wanna pay for less.
  30. Jul 20, 2012
    very good game that has already been proven. But the game suffers from significant problems of fluidity and control of the character. nothing has been revised or corrected in its operation. I expected a better
  31. Jul 27, 2012
    If you've ever played an MGS before you'll know what to expect. If not MGS is one of the finest stealth/action series of all time and has some of the greatest boss fights of all time - and some of the longest cutscenes too!.

MGS2 being the oldest of the 2 is a bit old but still a classic and still looks good upgraded to HD. After all these years I forgot how long the cutscenes are but
    the game tells the great story brilliantly!.

MGS3 is even better. Even by today's standards it looks good! Especially here in its HD glory. It has more bare able cutscenes but also some of my fondest boss battles of all time.
    It is also a long game. In fact considering you're paying under £20 you're getting great value as there is easily 30+ hours of play time here in the main story lines alone. Outside of the main game both games include a wealth of content. Likely to keep you going for months.

If I was to complain about one thing - other than the annoying exclusion of Peace Walker from the console copy - its that it's not the most portable friendly game and I often find myself having to pause on cutscenes (or I'd miss my stop!!).
    But that's a small complaint for 2 fantastic games!!!.
  32. Jul 29, 2012
    So I believe that when a game is remade, originality is key. Given the Vita has it's little draw backs, like the little thumb stick make control on the character challenging, but never the less the game itself is exactly what I remember. The "transfarring" feature is awesome. Being able to pickup on the console from where I left off on the vita and vice versa is perfect. I am slightly confused on the loss of Peace Walker not being included and some addition feature but that's a review to write to Konami. We are talking about game quality here. So ultimately this is a classic game in the new generation. Perfection is the best description. The didn't try to ruin it with new features and kept originality in mind. I love Metal Gear from beginning to end. Expand
  33. Aug 26, 2012
    For me only the best game of the vita. With few major titles for the vita, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection reigns in Vita. Beautiful graphics, good gameplay and all that only Metal Gear can offer, mandatory requirement for any Vita.
  34. Oct 3, 2012
    Another essential purchase. The controls will make you insane at first, but after that hump... these are some of the best (and weirdest) video games out there.
  35. Mar 23, 2014
    So far I'm only playing MGS2, but I can safely say it's blown my mind. The stealth is great, the characters are okay, and the gameplay is flawless and the story is great. Sadly, the fixed camera is starting to bug me and the controls can be annoying at times. With that said though, you CAN hide under boxes. *Peeks out* Metal Gear. *Shuffle Shuffle Shuffle*
  36. Sep 6, 2013
    metal Gear Solid HD collection is a must have for any Vita owner. Metal Gear Solid three is one of the best games i have ever played with some of the best boss fights I have ever experienced. I would pay for MGS3 on its own very happily however the fact MGS2 is included i'm fine with. Clunky controls and show it's age but still good fun.
  37. Sep 10, 2013
    Here is a chance to experience true nostalgia for those of us growing up with the Metal Gear series. It´s amazing how good there games holds up especially the third chapter look and plays outstanding on the vita. While MGS2 shows sign of ageing it still does a great job pulling you in straight from the beginning.
    I must say i love these games and if you are looking for a tactical stealth
    shooter, look no further! Expand
  38. Sep 29, 2013
    This is a great collection for any Vita owner to have, it contains two great games remastered in HD and with trophie support. The only thing that sucks is that MGS: Peace Walker is not included like it was on the PS3 and 360 versions of the game.
  39. Jun 12, 2014
    If you are like me, and missed these two games on the PS2, but want to get into the series to play any of the new games, then this is a great alternative. I decided to go with the VITA version instead of the PS3 verision, and im not disapointed. The games are good, and really makes up for the praise they got on the PS2, but being an HD collection and being on the VITA they actually look really good.

A very good way to get into the story of one of the better game series out there!
  40. Sep 22, 2014
    As a fan of the Metal Gear series I jumped at the chance to play Metal Gear on the move!! You can really tell the graphics have improved, the HD is a nice touch. This makes the games feel somewhat fresh and enjoyable. Also if you didn't get the chance to play the 'Substance' Version of MGS2 you can now play all the VR missions and Snake Tales that were included, along with the theatre mode (hilarious to change the ninja to an old office lady and see her jumping around the place).
    Overall my favourite HD remake, contains a lot of extra content including the Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 NES games. Must Buy!

1. Aug 11, 2012
    If you've never played any of these two games and have a PS Vita, then this collection is almost obligatory.
  2. Aug 8, 2012
    If you haven't played these before, the console release is for you. For super fans, the Vita version is still highly enjoyable. [Sept 2012, p.75]
  3. Aug 7, 2012
    Lovingly presented, but when only one of the games in the 'package' is worth playing then you've got a problem. [Issue#221, p.77]