8.8

1. Jun 25, 2013
    10 out ot 10!

I'm an absolute fan of high quality 2D games. This game delivers in every single aspect: smooth gameplay, breath-taking sprites, sounds etc.

I almost bought a Wii just to have the oportunity to play this game alone, i'm glad that I have a PSV and can play it now!

So far, I've played about 6 hours with Momohime and enjoying every single minute of it!
  2. Jun 30, 2013
    I adore this game. i loved it on the wii and I'm thrilled it's now on Vita.

The game has 2 things that make it magical: its unique 2D art and animation, and a beautifully melodic and high energy soundtrack that pushes you onwards even when the gameplay gets samey. The game is very simple go left, right, explore, collect, level up, manage basic resources, get some light mystically
    I adore this game. i loved it on the wii and I'm thrilled it's now on Vita.

The game is very simple go left, right, explore, collect, level up, manage basic resources, get some light mystically flavoured storytelling, and mainly fight. You're collecting swords with crazy and inventive special moves throughout the game, and testing them out on all manner of incredibly designed and animated creatures & monsters. Like Okami, the game is inspired by traditional Japanese art and mural painting, and it really does feel like a painting come to life in a video game.

Very few games have this much charm. I rate it very highly indeed as one of my few keepers this last game generation.
  3. rih
    Jun 25, 2013
    It's gorgeous. It's fun.

This kind of games (triple A quality 2D) are very scarce... If you own a PSV and didn't had the chance to play the original version on the Wii, do yourself a favor: PLAY IT NOW! Review summary: +jaw-dropping beautiful hand-painted 2D sprites +simple, yet astonishing gameplay mechanics +great bosses +very good sound effects and music +great replayability
    It's gorgeous. It's fun.

Review summary:
    +jaw-dropping beautiful hand-painted 2D sprites
    +simple, yet astonishing gameplay mechanics
    +great bosses
    +very good sound effects and music
    +great replayability factor
    -lack enemy variety (minor)
  4. Aug 20, 2013
    Muramasa on the Wii was my first Vanillaware game and I loved it. I played it several years ago, but I only played half of it due to various reasons. This time I played it all the way through and got all 6 endings as well as most of the achievements.

I'm sure it's been driven into the ground at this point, but I can't help but point out how amazing the artwork and aesthetic is. Definitely one of the most beautiful games I've played and the Vita's screen makes it look even better. The music is equally great and when combined with the art style creates an amazing atmosphere that fits the game's setting perfectly.

The gameplay is fun and never gets old (at least for me), though the areas in the game as well as the standard enemies can get repetitive. I imagine this is a turnoff for some people, but I never minded it. The story is simple but interesting. I would have also liked to see one more sword type in the game to vary up the combat a bit more. The game can be challenging on Chaos mode, and there's always the unlockable Fury mode for those seeking even greater hurdles.

All in all, this is a beautifully made and fun 2d beat-em-up that can be repetitive for some. If there had been more varied areas and enemies I would have given it a perfect score.
  5. Aug 25, 2013
    Vanillaware's sublime 2D adventure, Muramasa Rebirth is so much more than a simple HD port of the Nintendo Wii's, fabulous Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Indeed, as far as I am concerned, it is the very finest game to hit Sony's underappreciated Playstation Vita yet, and in the process, represents the very pinnacle of action-RPG gaming in the handheld space.

Now of course, this potentially

Now of course, this potentially controversial statement means that if Muramasa has indeed jumped straight to the top of Vita's pecking order, it edges out some truly excellent titles in doing so. Arguably, chief among which, is not only the timeless fan-favourite JRPG, Persona 4 Golden, but even Vanillaware's very own Dragon's Crown too no less. And that is the biggest compliment I can pay this incredible game.

What with Muramasa Rebirth and the aforementioned Dragon's Crown, Vanillaware are *the* developer to watch right now, and given the Japanese studio's record of combing gorgeous artwork with deep, addictive gameplay, I only hope that they continue to support Sony's handheld in the future. And in the meantime? How about Odin's Sphere on Vita!?
  6. Mar 3, 2014
    The first thing you'll notice is a breathtaking visualization. When you get used to the gameplay, you'll understand that it's pretty addictive. All the game mechanics are rather simple, but they work well together. The game is advised to any Vita owner.
  7. Nov 7, 2013
    Beautifully drawn detailed graphics and animation that has to be seen in motion. Music that goes well with fast combat which will be your main job to do and with 108 blades with various abilities and special moves available it will be fun. Different story with unique bosses and several endings for each character.
    Almost forgot that you can cook traditional japanese dishes. Simply delicasy.
  8. Feb 16, 2014
    Art is gorgeous. Gameplay is fast, fun and deep. Stories of characters are well written. And game has a LOT of post-game content after you finish both main stories (those took me around 20h), icluding alternative endings.

Ignore "professional game critics" giving this excellent game score of 78 just because its not AAA title or some smartass wannabe indie fad.

TL;DR - PLAY IT!
  9. Aug 8, 2013
    Muramasa is excellent game to spend time with on your Vita. It has bright vivid colors, action and a nice soundtrack.

Do keep in mind that this game does not include English audio, but it does have the required subtitles. Since I mostly play JP- audio anyway this does not bother me and as such did not impact my rating for the game.
  10. Dec 30, 2013
    One of the best 2D games ever !

I never played the Wii version but i buy a PSV for this game and Persona 4 Golden. And i don't have any regrets !

It's an awesome game
  11. Jan 25, 2014
    A much-needed port for a game that otherwise would've been restricted to the comparatively small Wii audience, the lush graphics of this side-scrolling action game find a comfortable home on Vita's rich AMOLED screen.

Gameplay-wise, this game generates an incredible audiovisual experience that is entrancing on its easier modes and engaging as the player raises the difficulty, accommodated by a balanced, well-designed combat system that works on a fair punishment and reward system. A lot of things are not entirely clear about some of combat's "fine-print" mechanics, these aren't readily necessary until Fury mode is unlocked (only after a full playthrough on Chaos mode, the harder option), and give enough time for the player to make these discoveries/developments on their own so as to not be a concern. From outset at the tutorial, the combat is also quite simple in learning but requires enough practice and attention to accommodate a large skill range from its playerbase. Certain artistic choices also serve to enhance gameplay effects, such as variable mixes of the background music that fluidly escalate upon entering battle.

Story-wise, the two characters are fairly well-illustrated. This reviewer has his qualms about the Momohime storyline, although it has its charm in a few well-hidden surprises and developments in its characterbuilding and climax(es; there are three endings to each storyline). The Kisuke storyline stands out as being engaging on an emotional level, as the stakes are well-set and the story paced in its progression. The characters in Kisuke's storyline also felt like they possessed all the right qualities, distinguishing them into a colorful cast and helping them serve as the ideal vehicle to convey their individual struggles and purposes. (Don't worry; this review is spoiler-free) There's a point in the game that you're charging up the snowy mountains in Hida as Kisuke after a pivotal story cutscene, and the combination of multiple factors (the beautifully-illustrated scenery, noticeable increase in fight difficulty, story elements, and the beautiful music that decorates this climb ["Seasonal Beauties" in the soundtrack]) created a strong memory for this reviewer that won't be soon forgotten.

From the Wii version, a couple subtle things have been improved, the most apparent being Aksys' newly translated script, meant to match the original more closely. Some other tweaks exist, such as an assignable jump button as opposed to relying solely on the d-pad's up button to jump, but it may not be enough to justify a new purchase from any owners of the Wii version, exceptions being avid fans or anyone wanting access to the new partially-released DLC episodes (which are quite reasonably priced; $4.99 at time of posting on PSN, mere weeks after the first episode's release). The game is quite accurately a "rebirth," straying far from a complete reincarnation or redevelop.
  12. May 27, 2014
    I gotta say that I'm a huge fan of 2D beat em up, slash em up and so on. I am also a fan of RPG's, leveling systems and character building. And I love games that takes place in a fantasy-inspired or historical time period. Well, this game fits all of my criteria.

The graphics are simply amazing, I find myself looking at the backgrounds more than in any other game I've played to date. The soundtrack is spot on, very suiting to this game. I love just about everything of this game, and can see little problems. Well, the transportation could be a little easier or faster, but other than that... no. Nothing.

The gameplay is simply put AMAZING! Fast paced action, slashing and destroying. The controls are absolutely spot on perfect and it is very very easy to just put this game on and lose yourself in it. It has a somewhat good story, but the gameplay is what keeps me coming back for more. I simply love it.

Call me old fashioned, I've been in this industry from the NES. I adored games like final fight, streets of rage and golden axe. Now, with the Vita, we can play a game that has all of that, but is longer and has a satisfying leveling system.

I can't give anything else than 10/10 and have high hopes for a sequel. Right now!
  13. Sep 7, 2014
    Just excellent, i played just a couple of hours on the wii and it was a must have for me, odin sphere was also great but the speed improvement in the battles makes this game the greatest from vanillaware until i play dragon's crown.

As a note, the 4 dlc that costs almost the same as the game (digital version) were very disappointing for me
  14. Oct 27, 2014
    This game is perfect for the Vita. It has simple controls and a simple but tight level up system that is fun to tinker with. The Vita shines when there is a game that fits the pacing and mechanics of a handheld. I am not a heavy jrpg person but it works perfectly for an older gamer with slow fingers and a love for great design.
  15. Sep 11, 2014
    The Vita version of Muramasa is the definitive edition of the game, as well as the best platform to play it on. Vanillaware's art direction can really shine through on the Vita's resolution as opposed to the Wii's native 480p output. Both versions look beautiful of course. Muramasa: Rebirth sports high intensity 2d beat-em-up gameplay which is as simple as it is fun to watch. The controlsThe Vita version of Muramasa is the definitive edition of the game, as well as the best platform to play it on. Vanillaware's art direction can really shine through on the Vita's resolution as opposed to the Wii's native 480p output. Both versions look beautiful of course. Muramasa: Rebirth sports high intensity 2d beat-em-up gameplay which is as simple as it is fun to watch. The controls lack extreme depth, but despite this I found that I was blown away by the combos that the game seemed to naturally want me to achieve. Simply put, the controls make you feel like a pro only a couple hours after first picking up the game. There is ton of extra content and DLCs which add entire new characters and campaign settings to the game. This should be a definite pick up for any Vita owner! Expand

1. May 5, 2014
    Combining 2D platforming, hack and slash action, and RPG elements, this title is sure to appeal to a broad variety of gamers looking for an adventure that is both accessible for long grinds or quick pick up and play bouts.
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    This small Vanillaware pearl is a must have not only for its spectacular graphics, but also for a well crafted gameplay, scratched only by too lengthy and boring backtracking phases.
  3. Nov 13, 2013
    Muramasa Rebirth is gorgeous, action packed, and regularly delightful, but its charm cannot entirely compensate for its repetitive nature.