8.0

1. Jan 21, 2014
    It has a lot of promise, and could be really fun, but it's obvious it wasn't well tested AT ALL.

For starters, the stranger is a total wuss. A single enemy can kill him in seconds, quicker if it's a high-level enemy, and nearly instantly if it's a boss. Speaking of which, nearly all the bosses have a ridiculous gimmick which makes them invincible for one reason or another while they

Speaking of which, nearly all the bosses have a ridiculous gimmick which makes them invincible for one reason or another while they use their overpowered attacks to kill you faster than you can move or recover. Earlier I fought a boss who shot at me with a perfectly accurate rifle that took 1/5 of my health with each shot, and he shot about twice a second. Currently, I'm at a boss who is only vulnerable from the back, but he moves faster than me, can kill me in three hits, and every hit of his knocks me down. I'm lucky to last a minute against him, let alone do any damage. And I'd seriously like to beat the crap out of the programmer who wrote the hints that they give you if you die against a boss three times. Instead of something moderately helpful, like "the fence can't be destroyed, use that to block the missiles" or "try using explosive bats to knock him from his perch," they always say incredibly obvious things that have already been explained multiple times.

And there are plenty of bugs to make things not so enjoyable when not being humiliated by the poorly thought-out boss fights. Try exiting the general store and watch as the Stranger gets stuck in the door on his way out and reverts to his falling animation for a solid minute or two. Open a door behind which two enemies still in their "T" poses spawn and slide out to greet you. Try running through the Port Authority and watch as the world tries desperately to load faster than you can move. And I hope you like the sound of the single voice actor they got to play every npc in the game, since you'll be hearing those npcs play identical looping overlapped conversations every time you walk through town. And that's if they say anything at all. Sometimes they move around like they're talking, but say nothing, even if you're trying to get advice or directions from them. And of course, like all poorly tested games, the subtitles don't match with the game audio.

It's really got a lot of potential, but the bugs and the broken bosses make it a chore to play. I'm glad I didn't pay for it, since this really doesn't deserve any money or praise until it's fixed, and since it's been re-released several times, I doubt that'll happen.

1. More than seven years on and Stranger’s Wrath is still fresh. Apart from some annoying pop-up tutorial boxes on PS Vita and some niggling issues when retrieving ammo, it’s still unabashedly brilliant. A must buy for sure. [March 2013, p80]
  2. Mar 18, 2013
    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD is a game that feels the weight of years. Far from being unplayable or not attractive, you can not cross over the imperfections of the control system, on a plot that is not too daring and partly on a too-flat concept level design.
  3. Feb 8, 2013
    Despite feeling slightly dated, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath still manages to impress on the Vita's small screen.