8.1

1. Nov 21, 2013
    I wasn't expecting much of it, but what a pleasant surprise! I've never thought that a game would ever combine TPP and FPS so well. The pace is kinda slow at first, but it picks up really nice. It's challenging enough to be interesting without be frustrating. It's shooting mechanics are pretty engaging, and manage to be different without being completely alien. Both the stealth and theI wasn't expecting much of it, but what a pleasant surprise! I've never thought that a game would ever combine TPP and FPS so well. The pace is kinda slow at first, but it picks up really nice. It's challenging enough to be interesting without be frustrating. It's shooting mechanics are pretty engaging, and manage to be different without being completely alien. Both the stealth and the action are pretty well balanced and you can pretty much develop your own way to play, with a lot of room for experimentation. The level design is always throwing something new in the mix, with environments that at first seem to be the same, but with something new to spice up things a little. It starts up like a bland game, but it grows on you pretty nicely.
    It's a little great game that anyone that enjoys good solid action should play.
  2. Jun 21, 2013
    After what's felt like forever, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD has finally made it's way to Playstation Vita, and you know what, it was totally worth the wait.

For those not 'in the know' regarding the Oddworld games, and moreover, this one in particular, Stranger's Wrath is a kinda Rango meets Ghost Busters meets Dirty Harry combo that indie outfit Just Add Water (JAW) seamlessly marries together beautifully. Indeed JAW must be congratulated for bringing the raw essence of each into one utterly cohesive whole. Don't worry, you'll know exactly what I mean when you play it.

I loved every last minute of playing through this great game once more, but as is almost always the case, it's isn't perfect. Noteworthy are the slightly floaty controls that will take a little getting used to, and of course, Stranger's Wrath may well have been treated to a fresh lick of hi-def paint and had the 'HD' suffix slapped onto its moniker, but there's no getting away from the fact that it's still a seven-year-old, last-gen game. However, once you begin to look past these shortcomings and allow yourself to sync into it's wonderfully unique groove and trust me, you will there's absolutely stacks of fun to be had from this rather fabulous FPS/3PS cult favourite; the wild west adventure that really does mean it when they say 'live ammo'.

Whether you're well acquainted with JAW's Oddworld series or perhaps have never even heard of it, I wholeheartedly recommend jumping into the Stranger's cowboy boots and giving it a whirl without delay. Until Killzone: Mercenary releases later this year at least, Stranger's Wrath HD is arguably Vita's standout shooter, and as such, I highly doubt you'll regret giving it a shot.

8.5 out of 10

[PLEASE NOTE that as Metacritic doesn't facilitate 0.5 increments for it's User Reviews, I have rounded my score to 9.0. Trust me, Stranger's Wrath is a wonderful game, and a lot closer to a 9.0 than it is an 8.0].
  3. Dec 30, 2012
    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD is beautiful and fun as the original plus the fact that you can enjoy it on the amazing OLED screen of the Ps Vita, with new textures and 3d models. The gameplay is solid and challenging, the graphics are nice (except for some textures that could be polished a little more) and the music does her job well.
    The free-rom shape of the game and the 1st person
    The free-rom shape of the game and the 1st person shooter/3rd person platform structure makes it enjoyable for everyone. An amazing handheld experience and easily one of the best Vita releases yet.
  4. Dec 22, 2012
    Best game on the vita - really!

I created an account to write this. I might love my vita but dudes, its tough love, it rarely loves me back :) I'm talking games man, I have tried most of them and Gravity Rush is my current favorite as the most immersive console like game but its a labour of love... this is the first game I have played that isn't, its just great! About the game: the
    Best game on the vita - really!

About the game: the IGN review of the HD release of the game (which it posted for the vita release) says it all but ignores the fact its on vita. I found it made it a bit harder, the analogue sticks mean I had to turn down the sensitivity, some of the textures are a bit less detailed as well but u have decent sized environments, fps third person gameplay with some strategy elements (in the loosest sense but combining ammo to set mines and traps). This game shows the vita can deliver on its promise of a great handheld experience, lets all stop pretending its a mini PS3 and judge the hardware on what it actually is... Dear Sony, drop the hype and get more ports like this happening - its awesome!
  5. Jan 17, 2013
    Just add water have done a great job of converting this game to the vita. You can tell they took their time and got it right. It's the best shooter on the vita, no contest imo. Even if you have the ps3 version it's still worth purchasing for the vita.
  6. Feb 16, 2014
    An absolutely amazing HD port. I honestly had a hard time believing this was originally a 2005 Xbox game because of how well this game has aged. Everything here feels modern and in a lot of ways ahead of it's time. Thanks to the fantastic work with the new HD graphics, this is a game that both looks and feels like it hasn't aged a day.

The game's seamless ability to switch between two

The game's seamless ability to switch between two styles of gameplay, 3rd person platforming and 1st person shooting, at any time is incredibly impressive. It's that sort of innovation that makes this game feel fresh after all these years, and in a lot of ways more fresh than a lot of more recent games of the past few years. With excellent controls, fantastic level design, great story, and overall superb core gameplay, this is an incredibly impressive title that I highly recommend you play. I do feel like the enemy types are recycled a bit too much, but this is a minor flaw considering how much fun the core combat system is. The boss battles in particular are an excellent part of this game.

If you have not yet played "Stranger's Wrath" then there is no better time than the present. This HD port does the game well, and being able to take it on the go is a real treat. This is an old school game from the last console generation that manages to best a whole heck of a lot of modern games from this console generation. All I can say is I had an absolute blast with this game and am highly impressed with it. Definitely one I recommend.
  7. Oct 20, 2014
    I didnt have so much fun with a single player shooter for a loong time. This game is absolutely brilliant, starting from great world concept, excellent story with quite nice twists in it, excellent humour and the best of it fantastic gameplay. Developers had quite amazing gameplay concepts, when I thought i'll get bored from hunts, which are fantastic imho, the game switched from slowI didnt have so much fun with a single player shooter for a loong time. This game is absolutely brilliant, starting from great world concept, excellent story with quite nice twists in it, excellent humour and the best of it fantastic gameplay. Developers had quite amazing gameplay concepts, when I thought i'll get bored from hunts, which are fantastic imho, the game switched from slow paced planned attacks on hunts to run-an'-gun-fun with frantic pace. The graphics are a bit old, BUT very climatic and overall i loved it, as i loved the change of the western to viking style. You always have something new to play with, its amazing how much fresh content they packed in this game - i cant remember in which game simple moving from town to town been so much fun, while hunting for ammo. And the combat in 3rd person is also fun especially when You get charge later on, i was happy like a kid when i was chargin in to the middle of 10 enemies ramming them into previously set traps.
    Also! In some of the reviews I've read complains about bugs - in my whole walkthrough which I enjoyed from start to finish I didnt notice single glith. Dude writing that review is sooo wrong, boss fights are actually awesome, I had no problem to guess what i must do to kill any of them. Its plain obvious. That guy just played to many COD games in which Your brain just vegetates or hes not the bright type..
    To sum the fun of it, i was playing Wolfenstein new order on my xbox and Oddworld on VITA - Ive already finished Stranger and I stucked somewhere in Wolf which is so boring and soo much worse gameplay wise compared to Stranger.
    Verdict: I just love this game. And i'd love to see sequel of it. Its just perfect from me, not a copy paste product like most of AAA titles.
  8. Aug 4, 2015
    Amazing game. Maybe the graphics aren´t top notch, but the gameplay is superb. The game have a little issues with the camera and some times with the online multiplayer (ping issues), but its one of my best game experience this year. Beware, highly adictive.

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 4, 2013
    More than seven years on and Stranger’s Wrath is still fresh. Apart from some annoying pop-up tutorial boxes on PS Vita and some niggling issues when retrieving ammo, it’s still unabashedly brilliant. A must buy for sure. [March 2013, p80]
  2. Mar 18, 2013
    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD is a game that feels the weight of years. Far from being unplayable or not attractive, you can not cross over the imperfections of the control system, on a plot that is not too daring and partly on a too-flat concept level design.
  3. Feb 8, 2013
    Despite feeling slightly dated, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath still manages to impress on the Vita's small screen.