• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.3

1. Jan 20, 2014
    I tried very, very hard to like this game but I just couldn't. Japenese RPGs are my go to genre and this disappointed me, especially with all the fantastic reviews I saw.

It's different than your usual RPG, which is good, but there is too much going on and I never knew how to spend my time "correctly". I wasn't sure when to level for the next dungeon, and if I was under levelled I had to go back in time a week after my game ended.

The battle system was classic and solid but I hated not being able to leave a dungeon to heal. If you do it skips ahead a day which makes it so you can't do other daily things like raising your social links and such.

The story and characters gripped me however. The story and characters you meet are deep and interesting, for the most part.

I will try playing again one day, but be prepared for something very different. Great ideas, but just not for me.
  2. UCA
    May 8, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  3. Oct 2, 2013
    The storyline people have been raving about...well it's not that great. While it is unique and a different take than the average RPG, which I am very glad for, it's got a lot of boring and infuriating elements to it.

The "heroes" of the story are the least heroic heroes ever. "Eh, let's wait a week to save that guy." "No need to rush in." "Let's stop and discuss this." There's really no men of action on the entire team and it's annoying.

Then there's the high school drama part. If you like those cheesy Japanese anime comedy/dramas, ok then you'll love that. I for one hated it and found it a waste of time.

The gameplay is a mix of a typical turn-based RPG and a Japanese dating sim. So again, if you like Japanese dating sims, amazing game for you...not so much for me. I do like the combat though, the persona system is pretty cool, it's a lot like Devil Summoner (another game by the same people with a better storyline) but in pure old school RPG format.

Voice acting is good, graphics are OK, some of the music is good.

It's a good time-waster, but hardly deserves the overwhelming praise it receives.
  4. Apr 17, 2013
    Keep in mind that I never played a persona game before. However, I love turn based rpgs. And yes, I realize that this game was made in 2008.

Personally I find much of the game mechanics namely the "sim" part tedious and the game was way too long for its own good. The game expects you to get along and get to know these characters as strong as your friends. However, These characters were two dimensional and uninteresting. Many of the plot points were obvious making the reveal of the mystery feel unsatisfying. Many of the abilities and spells' names were too complicated. I wish the naming of each ability was short and was straight to the point. For example Bufu ice?, agi fire??? The progression in the beggining dragged on and felt slow. Then all of the sudden throws many options of what you can do to spend your time all at once. I also, dislike games that rushes me to do things at a certain date such as majora's mask.

Things I liked
    I liked the abilities that used hp as if it was mana. Being able to Down enemies and follow up with an all-out-attack. I also liked the "1 more" function as well.
  5. Aug 24, 2013
    Let me start off be saying that I typically do not care for JRPGs, but this game that I thought might take several months to beat is so deep, so well-voiced and so content-rich that I couldn't put it down, plowing through the whole story (70 hours or so) in just a few weeks.

Any game that can make you excited about reading a book or attending basketball practice must be doing something right. The voice actors are phenomenal. The dungeon-crawling gameplay is challenging but fair (with a few minor but completely unavoidable exceptions). The story can be a little absurd at times, but it is a hell of a lot of fun to work through.

This game is an absolute must-play for anyone, regardless of your preferences. If you have a Vita and haven't played this game yet, you're doing things wrong.

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]