• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.3

1. Dec 26, 2012
    Best Portable game ever? Quite Possibly. The latest etnry into the series only shows improvement on the already well done job from earlier entries into the series. It makes full use of the powerful processor on the PS Vita, so everything you liked about the PS2 original stays the way it is with improvements added. The story is well done and will keep you on the edge of your seat, theBest Portable game ever? Quite Possibly. The latest etnry into the series only shows improvement on the already well done job from earlier entries into the series. It makes full use of the powerful processor on the PS Vita, so everything you liked about the PS2 original stays the way it is with improvements added. The story is well done and will keep you on the edge of your seat, the already popular social links return with new additions, and some more voices are added to dialogues. A must have for the PS Vita when compared with the lacking library of the handheld, and I would recommend it to anyone I know. Expand
  2. Jan 8, 2013
    Serial killers and a drag queen pageant? Count me in! I've never actually played through any of the previous Persona titles, but this one had me hooked from the start. Although it is about as good as any game can be, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the actual combat system is at times a tiny bit stifled and certainly derivative... but any reflection these complaints have on the scoreSerial killers and a drag queen pageant? Count me in! I've never actually played through any of the previous Persona titles, but this one had me hooked from the start. Although it is about as good as any game can be, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the actual combat system is at times a tiny bit stifled and certainly derivative... but any reflection these complaints have on the score are made irrelevant by the superior characters and terrific plot. I don't think I can remember a game that has made me laugh so much! Not to say there aren't some tender moments, but I think it is safe to say that Persona 4 is an action comedy. Throw in a murder mystery, a killer-on-the-loose, great extras and tons of optional missions, and you've got the game of the year. Every day's great at your Junes! Expand
  3. Jan 8, 2013
    This game is perfection. The voice acting is simply amazing. The game-play and story telling are to die for. Anyone with a PS Vita must pick up this game. By far the best game on the Vita so far. This game goes in my book as, by far, game of the year for 2012. I have never experienced so many feels in a video game before; except maybe from P3P.
  4. Jan 10, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden, is a very clean and crisp Action-Fighting game for the PS Vita, akin to the likes of BlazBlue and Street Fighter. Very good game, can't wait for more.
  5. Jan 11, 2013
    Beautiful game with beautiful adds. Bravo Atlus. This is maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarvelous!
  6. Jan 15, 2013
    An excellent upgrade of the PS2 version, fixing issues the game had and a decent amount of new content. Writing is good, gameplay is strategic, and characters are fun. If you like JRPGs, get it. If you're not sure, get it.
  7. Jan 25, 2013
    I can't name one game other than Persona 4 that has made me go out and buy a new console. I first played Persona 3 Portable on my PSP and instantly fell in love with the gameplay. After 250+ hours of playing P3P, I wanted a new Persona experience. This led to my discovery of Persona 4 Golden and its exclusivity on the PSVita. The story line has a much lighter tone than P3 but it stillI can't name one game other than Persona 4 that has made me go out and buy a new console. I first played Persona 3 Portable on my PSP and instantly fell in love with the gameplay. After 250+ hours of playing P3P, I wanted a new Persona experience. This led to my discovery of Persona 4 Golden and its exclusivity on the PSVita. The story line has a much lighter tone than P3 but it still enjoyable. The gameplay has remained intact as there is sort of 2 games in 1. 1 aspect of the game is Persona itself where you and your team go through dungeons fighting monster in a turn-based manner. The other aspect is a sort of sim-like game where you have ti manage your time between your friends and school life. This leads to a unique style of game. I did play Persona 4 on a emulator before buying the game on the PSVita and have to say that they did a considerable amount to the port. You have 2 new social links, a garden, a SOS feature (which to be honest makes the game easier and in my opinion more enjoyable), new cutscenes, and a brand new trips you can experience. For the most part they have taken Persona 4 which is considered one of the greatest games of all time and even made it better. However one major complaint I have is the new voice actor for Chie. The new voice actor sounds nasally and whiny. If you are Persona fan, rpg fan, or looking for a new gaming experience I would definitely buy this game. Expand
  8. Nov 21, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is often touted as the greatest (J-)RPG of all time. Is it worthy of that title? Well, that's up to yourself to decide, but I'll try to help making that decision.
    Concerning characters and story, it's a masterpiece. The characters are funny, likeable, and interesting. When you start off and get to know them, one of the biggest reasons to play the game will be to find out more about the people you meet. And thanks to P4's social link system (which is comparable to Fire Emblem's excellent support conversations), you will be able to find out more about their backstories while, at the same time, improving your abilities in combat. For the most part, you will be working towards achieving these social links and building up your "soft skills" through interaction with the people in the town of Inaba. As the game progresses, you get the chance to buy books, visit a city to buy clothes and other stuff by driving on a scooter, write exams in school. All these things, if you choose to do them, will improve your combat abilities or your abilities to fuse Personas, which is an interesting mechanic and adds a lot of depth to the battle system. In a way, one half of Persona 4 plays almost like a life simulator, and this part is the one that will most likely lead you to love this game.
    Talking about the story, it's most comparable to a crime movie mixed with fantasy elements. The murder cases will give you all sorts of leads on who the culprit might be, and you will probably be dieing to find out (that is, if you are anything like me). The story got me extremely hooked while doing my first playthrough.
    Regarding the fighting system: You have the option to control all players in battle, or you can choose to let your friends be controlled by the game while only choosing actions for the main protagonist. Thanks to the Persona system (which is kind of comparable to how Pokémon plays), you have a wide variety of Persona-Attack combinations to fiddle with, adding a lot of depth. This only goes for the main character though, your friends have fixed Personas that gain fixed attacks through leveling up the Persona or the social link. The attacks consist of different types that have different effects on certain monsters (again, think Pokémon). This also means that you will have to figure out a monsters weaknesses and strengths in order to win.
    This all sounds pretty great, and up to this point I would easily give this game the title of "greatest RPG of all", but there is one fatal flaw: the levels themselves. The levels that you traverse are rather bland, and most of them are randomly generated. You will find out that most of these randomly generated "floors" will be very similar to each other, and the only thing reminding you that you are in a different level than before are the textures for the floor and wall.
    All that said, Persona 4 is a great JRPG, and probably one of the best Dating Sims out there. I, for one, rather traverse through Inaba, talking to the people and building social links with my friends than going through the levels, and thanks to the "very easy" difficulty, I can do basically that (you level up extremely fast, meaning no grinding and thus less time to spend in the dungeons). The replayability value of the game is extremely high and you have to play the game at least 3 times to see all it has to offer, but considering the addicting nature of it's life simulation/sim dating part, this will not be a problem, but rather a joy.
    I would give this game a 9.3 if it were possible, but since I can only give natural numbers from 0-10, I'll have to settle for the 9. It is a really good game though, and definitely the best game the Vita has to offer so far. If you own one, go buy this game.
  9. Jul 23, 2014
    This is a great game. The story is unpredictable which keeps it interesting as well as the strategic combat. It does a great job getting you invested in all of the characters through their back stories and just hanging out with them. Not many games can make you laugh like this game and then make you this sad too. It definitely lives up to all the hype and exceeded my expectations for it.This is a great game. The story is unpredictable which keeps it interesting as well as the strategic combat. It does a great job getting you invested in all of the characters through their back stories and just hanging out with them. Not many games can make you laugh like this game and then make you this sad too. It definitely lives up to all the hype and exceeded my expectations for it. Highly Recommend!!! Expand
  10. Jan 18, 2014
    Persona 4 Golden is a wonderfully made game that is an actual improvement on the PS2 version. Its the extra details that really win one over such as the new levels, and cut scenes. Worth a second play through at least.
  11. Jun 23, 2013
    I heard many good things about Persona 4: Golden but was wary of buying a Vita until the price dropped. Finally I managed to get one $40 off and decided to start with P4G. My history with JRPG's is a mixed bag. I adored the Final Fantasy games up until 8... then the series went downhill for me. There's also Chrono Trigger, the Secret of Mana and various old school JRPG's I could neverI heard many good things about Persona 4: Golden but was wary of buying a Vita until the price dropped. Finally I managed to get one $40 off and decided to start with P4G. My history with JRPG's is a mixed bag. I adored the Final Fantasy games up until 8... then the series went downhill for me. There's also Chrono Trigger, the Secret of Mana and various old school JRPG's I could never get enough of.

Over the last 10 years though JRPG's have really put me off (aside from Lost Odyssey which was a personal favourite) and I always go into them very skeptical now, but Persona 4: Golden has exceeded my expectations.

The game is simply fantastic. It constantly engages you with so much to do, but does so in a way that never really feels like a grind. The story is compelling enough to keep you interesting, and the odd TV dimension has enough wonder to keep it imaginative.

I strongly recommend the PS Vita for this game. I'm about 20 hours in but just in the middle of June (in the Game...) so I know I have lots of game left. This game is worth it.
  12. Apr 27, 2013
    This game made me so angry. It made me so ashamed that I was actually playing it. It is mean-spirited, hateful and vile. At a point, I really wanted my money back.

And yet, here I am giving it a good score. Let me tell you, this is the first time I have actually liked a game with these kinds of massive flaws. And not only do I like it, oh no, I love it! Persona 4 the Golden is

Persona 4 the Golden is wonderfully crafted with amazing designs, great music, amazing game-play and interesting lovable characters. And the story is thrilling, logical and generally very well told.
    This game is one of the best I have ever played and yet I can't give it the 10 points I would like to give it.
    The main mistake that was made with this game, was the creators thinking it needed more humour. It all went downhill from there. There are several events in the game that add nothing to the story and are only there for the characters to get into awkward situations. To get into those situations the otherwise well-written characters act completely out character. They do monumentally stupid and terrible things, which the creators apparently find funny. Not only that, but the game also makes fun of fat people. A lot. The game also makes fun of transvestites. Oh and old people, because they're unattractive. Haha. What a laugh, right? Take my advice: Skip those events. They add nothing and will make you want to bash your head through a pane of glass.
  13. Feb 1, 2014
    With the brilliant soundtrack, especially ' the almighty ' likeable characters and addicting gameplay persona 4 golden is not only the best game on the Vita its the greatest JRPG ever made IMO.
  14. Dec 27, 2013
    Persona 4 is one of the greatest games I have every played and now, Atlus releases the same game, enhanced, and with 30+ hours of content. I recommend anyone with a interest in RPG and story to buy this game.
  15. Jun 4, 2013
    It is very strange to see such a perfect game in JRPG genre today. It is not a secret, that japanese gaming is already dead, because of the games that look outdated, have a bad outdated gameplay and poor gamedesign. Times of Final Fantasy and Xenogears had passed long long time ago.
    In the PS2 era, ATLUS was the last japanese developer, that made really new thrilling RPG's. Persona 3, SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, those titles were amazing, brining the modern and mature JRPG formula to the gamer.
    But at the end they failed. Releasing P4 on PS2 was a horrible mistake. Only 80 000 copies where sold, and thousands of gamers (exept fans) missed one of the greatest jrpg's of a decade.

Re-releasing it was a right step. Re-releasing it on a portable device was even better.

Now we have a great game on the go. there is no way to judge the gameplay formula of Persona 4. It is very peculiar.
    Characters are interesting and deep, dialogues are polished. This are not the things modern japanese games are made of.

Persona 4 is not the best in visuals. But graphics are nice, and overwhelming gamedesign does the rest.

The game became better, bigger, and got in the palm of your hand

Bravo ATLUS. We hope that it is not the last time. Looking forward for more installations in Persona franchise, modern, cool, and deep. And we wait for more PS2 remakes on VITA.
  16. Aug 21, 2013
    This is my first Persona, and my first JRPG (Unless Kingdom Hearts counts).
    This is my first Persona, and my first JRPG (Unless Kingdom Hearts counts).
    The story in this game is much, much deeper than it first appears. It has a whole load of interesting characters, who many of the player makes friends with. The Anime cutscenes look crisp on the Vita's screen, and the remastering of the game is more than an HDing. The extra content isn't tacked on, and is very well integrated into the game, I didn't realise a lot of it wasn't in the last game until I looked it up.
    Personally I find the dungeons to be a bit dull gameplay wise, but I can see why people love it. The social links and general things you can do out side of dungeons is very balanced, and those are my favourite parts of the game.
    Overall, this is one of the best Vita games so far, and I'm quite excited for P5.
  17. Jun 17, 2013
    A compelling story, memorable characters, great soundtrack, combat aimed at exploiting weakness, there isn't much that this game doesn't touch base on, and touch base well, I might add. The high school simulation may be something a lot of gamers don't enjoy, however, how it's delivered to allow for the Social Links and character stats to unlock more is still in my favor. From Persona 3,A compelling story, memorable characters, great soundtrack, combat aimed at exploiting weakness, there isn't much that this game doesn't touch base on, and touch base well, I might add. The high school simulation may be something a lot of gamers don't enjoy, however, how it's delivered to allow for the Social Links and character stats to unlock more is still in my favor. From Persona 3, Persona 4 picked up the pace by fixing things that were less than optimal and delivering a fine product. I can't wait for the 5th installment, however wouldn't be surprised if it never comes as, if they continue to follow how well the games are done, the next one will be impossible to top. Expand
  18. Jun 20, 2013
    Original was really good,and this version is perfected Persona's franchise gameplay.
    I'm a big fan of Persona series,especially Persona3 which I still play.
    All in all,reason to get PS Vita, gets an 10/10,for it's perfection
  19. Jul 24, 2013
    Oh my god, just completed the gameand i must say, this is by far the best game i've ever played. I have never seen a game with such dedicated and effort put into a title. Every dialog, scene and story is well pieced together and fits perfectly. The character designs are well thought of and never feels out of place.
    Despite being a re-release of the title for a newer console, Atlus has
    Despite being a re-release of the title for a newer console, Atlus has added plenty of new features such as animated cut-scenes and online features that definitely spices things up even for people who have already completed the title before. The game features over 70 hours of gameplay which would keep you entertain for weeks or months to come, with such interesting story, it never gets tiring.
  20. Jul 9, 2014
    10/10 el mejor juego de todos jeje es neta no mames este juego es una vergototota asi de 8 kilometros para dentro de tu cola asi bien gigantesca y venosa y peluda, asi bien brillante vhorreando semen asi cccfffrchfhrfhrcfhr ssacando fuego, no mames comprenlo o pirateenselo sin un unos plebs **** jodidos de mierda pero en serio no se deberian perder esta maravilla, si tienes cancer o sida10/10 el mejor juego de todos jeje es neta no mames este juego es una vergototota asi de 8 kilometros para dentro de tu cola asi bien gigantesca y venosa y peluda, asi bien brillante vhorreando semen asi cccfffrchfhrfhrcfhr ssacando fuego, no mames comprenlo o pirateenselo sin un unos plebs **** jodidos de mierda pero en serio no se deberian perder esta maravilla, si tienes cancer o sida o cualquie rotra enfermedad terminal y ya te vas a morir, jugar este juego es la ultima cosa que debes hacer en tu miserable existencia Expand
  21. Aug 22, 2013
    Do you have a PSVita, and into JRPGs? If you said yes to both, Then GET IT!
    I just finished it then, but yea, 'don't think', just get it, you won't regret it...
  22. Sep 17, 2013
    easily one of the best games on the vita, and a huge improvement over p3p in every sense aspects of the game

the protagonist is not overpowered as he was compared to p3p and the other characters are much more useful in combat

so many hidden secrets and love the social links

it has a lot of replayablility
  23. Nov 4, 2013
    Possibly one of the best RPGs ever, it outclasses its predecessor in almost everyday with memorable characters and many dungeons to explore, there is always something to do in Inaba. Although the graphics are considered outdated for the current-gen, the gameplay more than makes up for its weakness
  24. Nov 6, 2013
    First off, let me just say that this is my favorite video game of all time. The story, atmosphere, characters, music, and voice acting are all nearly perfect. The gameplay itself is fantastic as well; the typical SMT gameplay experience you would expect still shines bright in Persona 4 without being horribly difficult (you'll usually never be stuck in the same place for too long). PersonaFirst off, let me just say that this is my favorite video game of all time. The story, atmosphere, characters, music, and voice acting are all nearly perfect. The gameplay itself is fantastic as well; the typical SMT gameplay experience you would expect still shines bright in Persona 4 without being horribly difficult (you'll usually never be stuck in the same place for too long). Persona 4 Golden also adds much more content to the PS2 original, with new battle mechanics and in-game days, as well as a new character and side-story to go with her. The game is quite long too, around 80 hours with the normal ending, and that's not including the hours you will spend in new game plus.

However, as great as this game is, I can't give it a perfect score because it has a pretty prevalent flaw: its tendency to go too long with the cinematics. Now don't get me wrong; the story is outstanding and can really only be told with excessive conversation, but sometimes it carries on longer than it should. There's literally a straight hour of storytelling before you get into any freedom or dungeon gameplay, and sometimes the game goes long times without any dungeoning. That aside, the game is still excellent and I would recommend it to any fan of JRPG's or visual novels.
  25. Aug 18, 2014
    This is by far the 2nd best game i have ever played(best being Jet Set Radio) i had never played an ATLUS game before i played Persona 4 Golden. i never thought going through high school would be so much fun. the characters all had amazing back stories, and Persona 4 Golden teaches you alot about life, people and just emotions in general. its one of the few games that was able to bring aThis is by far the 2nd best game i have ever played(best being Jet Set Radio) i had never played an ATLUS game before i played Persona 4 Golden. i never thought going through high school would be so much fun. the characters all had amazing back stories, and Persona 4 Golden teaches you alot about life, people and just emotions in general. its one of the few games that was able to bring a tear to my eye, and the only story id say was better was that of the anime Clannad. Expand
  26. Shi
    Nov 15, 2013
    If you have a Vita and you like JRPG's, Persona 4 Golden is a must have. Solid gameplay, great graphics, beautiful artwork, and an excellent story. Definitely the best enhancement of a game I've ever played.
  27. Mar 2, 2014
    This is THE best game I have ever played. The formula of short days with meaningful activities makes it very addictive. The combat is excellent and spices up the formula of turn based battles with chances to take extra turns when hitting a weak spot of an enemy or dealing critical damage. Excellent presentation and style sells the world. The characters and the various voice actors behindThis is THE best game I have ever played. The formula of short days with meaningful activities makes it very addictive. The combat is excellent and spices up the formula of turn based battles with chances to take extra turns when hitting a weak spot of an enemy or dealing critical damage. Excellent presentation and style sells the world. The characters and the various voice actors behind the voices are excellent with realistic dialogue. They are not just JRPG stereotypes but really do act like kids that age. They can be insensitive and awkward but loveable and kind all at the same time. Dungeons are as quick and as deep as you make them. Over powered and want to skip to the boss. Just keep running as enemies rarely catch up to you. I played it in normal mode and got the true ending plus epilogue and I have to say playing it on a second playthrough was worth it. Love the anime cut scenes and lastly the music, its hard to understand but the tunes are catchy and never get old. I really want a follow up story for these guys. Be it anime or a whole new game or even a manga I will snatch it up. My favourite game ever made.

Buy it!

From a 22 year old gamer ;)
  28. Jan 4, 2014
    Let me get this out of the way:
    1. In the first half I will be discussing the game itself
    2.In the second half I will discuss the deiferences in the Vita port. Part 1! Persona 4 (along with it's Golden version) is the best game I have ever played. I NEVER in my life thought that a video game would engross me so much that I would cry simply because I had finished it. Everything from the
    Let me get this out of the way:
    1. In the first half I will be discussing the game itself
    2.In the second half I will discuss the deiferences in the Vita port.
    Part 1!
    Persona 4 (along with it's Golden version) is the best game I have ever played. I NEVER in my life thought that a video game would engross me so much that I would cry simply because I had finished it. Everything from the controls to the combat system that makes grinding FUN to the art style and the best cast of character ever produced by video games is absolutely, unquestionably, perfect. Persona has a incredibly large cast of characters but still manages to make them all interesting. Even my least favorite character in the game, Rise Kujikawa, is STILL so interesting that she gives Elizabeth and the 2013 Lara Croft a run for their money.The combat system is like a combination of Pokemons monster capturing and weakness exploiting, mixed with Final Fantasies controlling a diverse team aspect. And if you're looking for engaging content, this game has you covered in abundance. From the multiple social links and endings, to dialogue options to questing and dungeon crawling for extras is done absolutely masterfully. Persona 4/Golden is a game that shows us what the medium of gaming has the potential to offer in terms of story telling, because unlike The Last of Us or Beyond Two Souls, it focuses on story and gameplay equally to make something so unimaginably good that it makes even Nintendo's best offerings shiver in fear. If you have a Playstation 2 or Vita and haven't played Persona 4 or Golden, you're missing out on so much it's actually sad.
    Part 2, Golden extras!
    1. Another character you can S.Link by the name of Marie
    2.An extra dungeon
    3. A epilogue taking place three months after you leave
    4.New Game Plus allowing you to play the game again with all stats fro your first playthrough.
    Conclusion
    Persona 4 is a that will probably never be surpassed. So do yourself a favor and spend the best 30 dollars of your life!Rating: 10//10 "Perfect"
  29. Mar 3, 2014
    I just want to start off by saying that I really wanted to give this game a 10/10.

Persona 4 Golden (or the original) is a wondrous magical amazing game that every RPG enthusiast should play. There are many perfect aspects about the game, like the endlessly interesting story, the fun combat, the pokemon-like creature collection, the incredible social link system, the gorgeous menus, and the (mostly) beautiful music. I thoroughly enjoyed the themes of searching for truth, and many times I believed the game to be over when a surprising twist to the plot kept me playing for 80+ hours. However, due to a few minor shortcomings and one huge flaw, I could not give this game the score it deserves.

The major problem with this game was the dungeon crawling. The randomly generated, multi-leveled dungeons just aren't fun. Each one has the same design, which involves navigating hallways to find chests and the stairwell to the next level. Unfortunately, after the first dungeon, it just became very repetitive and generic. It felt like a chore more than a pleasure. During the long sessions of the real world, I would actually dread having to go back to the grind. This outdated gameplay should have been redesigned during the initial stages of development.

Other problems with the game range anywhere from many of the vocal-heavy soundtrack music (although this is mostly preference), to the overly-difficult to manage ability system. The latter makes Persona creation less than ideal for creating Personas with preferred abilities.

Some things really aren't very clear either, such as the best ways to utilize the social links, and how to completely advance the story. A little more help would have been nice. Maybe I wouldn't have wasted several dozen days doing useless tasks. Also, I still have no idea how to catch bugs or fish.

Regardless, the game is phenomenal and is currently the best game on Vita by far. 9/10
  30. Dec 31, 2013
    Is wort buy a vita just to play this legendary game,an immense amount of activities and a great dungeon crawler that take you like a hundred hours to finish,is amazing if you like jrpg or else you can hate this masterpiece
  31. Jan 3, 2014
    Persona 4 Golden was my first Persona game and boy was it a good way to start. Persona offers an interesting story with characters that you will bond with and won't forget. Exploring dungeons, can admittedly get a little old, but it still doesn't draw you away from the experience. Persona 4 Golden is a must have if you own a Vita. (Or you can get Persona 4 for the PS2.)
  32. Feb 23, 2014
    How does one even begin to talk about a game so overhyped? That is one of the main words I'd use to describe P4G. So many times I've heard "This is the best Vita game!" that I expected so much of it, it couldn't possibly have held up. Further more, Persona 3 is my favorite game, so Persona 4 would have to try real hard to impress me. Never the less I went in very optimistic about thisHow does one even begin to talk about a game so overhyped? That is one of the main words I'd use to describe P4G. So many times I've heard "This is the best Vita game!" that I expected so much of it, it couldn't possibly have held up. Further more, Persona 3 is my favorite game, so Persona 4 would have to try real hard to impress me. Never the less I went in very optimistic about this game, understanding that it's something different. To sum it all up: too different, at least for me. But on an important note, I want you to know that I haven't let my feelings about Persona 3 get in the way of my honest review about Persona 4 Golden - what follows are my thoughts about the game as a single experience. Comparissons are just mandatory at some points, but bring nothing to my final score, as you will see in my conclusion
    Also, another side note, I can't have people talking about that this is the best Vita game - this is a port of a PS2 game, that got a bit ruined over the porting process. Think about it.
    On a graphical note, the game holds up. Nothing spectacular, but it doesn't need to be. Some of the new designs they went with look stupid, I found myself laughing out loud at them on a couple ocassions, which to me isn't a good sign. Overall on the polish standpoint it stands proudly alongside other entries in the SMT series - extremely polished and nicely stylised. I think the style they chose doesn't fit much, but I'll talk about that later on.
    This game sounds good too. I don't find the OST to be particularly strong, but it's fitting. However it does not manage to escape some stereotypes, though it tries to. But when it uses a stereotypes- it succeeds brilliantly. I have to mention that it has awesome voice work, featuring some of the best actors in the branch. There are some moments of awkward silence in this game that I did not get or like.
    The story of Persona 4 is a weird one in execution, not in content. I have to admit that after the amazing story of Persona 3, I expected this to be strong as or stronger than Persona 3. Persona 4 offers a mix of stereotypical characters (with a few exclusions, to my surprise) with bland origin stories, in favor of offering a more complex, dark and brooding plot. However, it's not as good as it sounds. The plot of the game isn't bad, it is simply badly directed - the game overall favors gameplay over story, which may be your thing - keep in mind that it's not mine. The plot seems nice and complex, but it misses a lot of opportunities to become stronger. The story has it's better moments, though - I got some solid laughs and even some soggy eyes at certain points. But in the end it's still a very slow moving story, that tries to end out with a bang, but ends out feeling rushed. To sum the story up: I found myself pressing the "Skip" button way more often that I thought I was capable of in a game of this caliber.
    To my surprise, however, this game shines on the gameplay standpoint. It offers a lot of activities to do, most of which are very fun and addicting. The main gameplay is very spiced up and not-boring as per usual with JRPGs (in my opinion). There are two major things I didn't like about the gameplay, which for the sake of spoilers, I will sum up into one, spoiler-free sentance: This game gives you NO hints for things it expects you to know and do, and proceeds to punish you for not doing them. To a gamer like me, who likes freedom of choice and rewarding story-driven gameplay, I found the gameplay boxing. A lot of times I said to myself "Immersion broken", because this game often reminded me that it's a game - something I don't want to think about while trying to be a part of the experience. Also, the overall bright presentation of the game ruins it at times too, being unfitting for the plot it tries to sell.
    In conclusion, I think the only reason people are overhyping this game is because it's the only Persona game they've played. Don't let that fool you. But I have something else to say too: I'd rate an 8/10 as a sequel to Persona 3, because as we see in the bigger picture, the two are connected. I'ts not a good sequel. But it's a heck of a standalone 9/10 game. You owe it to yourself to play this game, because even going beyond the statement that it's worse than Persona 3, which I am going off here, I cannot deny the fact that it's a really awesome game that you should not miss. I still say it's not the best Vita game, because it's a PS2 game. I do recommend playing the Vita version, because long games are made for portables, but if you chose to do so - google things carefully, because overhype leads to overexposure, and spoilers are everywhere! Further more, be prepared to spoil some things for yourself intentionally if you want to get the most out of this game (talking about the thing the game expects you to know). Conclusion: Play Persona 3 first, reasons can be found in my Persona 3 review, also P4 is a sequel to P3 none the less.
  33. Feb 24, 2014
    **This review is purely from a casual RPG player's point of view**
    **This review is purely from a casual RPG player's point of view**
    Persona 4 Golden is one of the best games I've played so far. Before playing P4G, I wasn't aware of this series and/or did not care to know more about them. The reason I bought persona 4 golden was that the game had many good reviews. I bought this game not knowing that I'll get completely sucked into the series of Shin Megami Tensei universe. If I knew about this game earlier, I'd have bought a vita to play it long time ago. Since I don't dare spoil the wonderful story behind this wonderful game, all I can say is that if you are a big fan of RPG like myself, you're in for a delicious treat. Just be careful with your choices in the game, cause your choices dangerously matters here.
  34. Jul 16, 2014
    A lot of games interest me for a few hours and then ultimately lose me. I never return. P4G has been an exception. 25+ hours into the game and it still feels fresh. Sure, some of the dialogue is hokey and borderline offensive, but the game still has charm. Looking forward to seeing how the story unfolds.
  35. May 9, 2014
    This game is awesome! I am a big Persona fan and this remake hit the spot. The characters were enjoyable expect for a few people that were just **** The dialogue is brilliant the added character is awesome. The game is a grind fest which can be off putting but if you can look past that i recommend this game to anyone who has a ps vita.
  36. Jun 14, 2014
    As a kid, i was hooked on jRPGS like Final fantasy 1-9, Chrono Trigger, Shining force, Breath of Fire etc. At some point, when i finished breath of fire IV (which is awesome, i recommend) i stopped playing jRPGs. They have a feel about them that is too familiar, and more or less, the same. I don't get that feeling with persona. It's new, refreshing and a role-playing aspect of an ROLE PLAYAs a kid, i was hooked on jRPGS like Final fantasy 1-9, Chrono Trigger, Shining force, Breath of Fire etc. At some point, when i finished breath of fire IV (which is awesome, i recommend) i stopped playing jRPGs. They have a feel about them that is too familiar, and more or less, the same. I don't get that feeling with persona. It's new, refreshing and a role-playing aspect of an ROLE PLAY GAME (RPG). Characters are well developed, and that is the accent of the game. Fighting has some cool mechanics, and that is fine too. Game feels like a mix between final fantasy, monster rancher and life simulator. It is weird, i give you that, but it kinda works. It works better than anyone would expect. While today RPGs teach you that you can get ANYTHING you want if you grind long enough, talk to people etc... persona is not like that. It gives you options and it's up to you how you'll play your "cards". Great story, great characters and amazing gameplay on great system. 10/10 Expand
  37. Jun 12, 2014
    A lot of people have asked me if it's worth buying a Vita, and my answer is always another question, 'Do you like JRPGs?" If yes, then Persona 4 Golden is the main reason to buy this system. I had never played a Persona game before, but the hype finally got to me, and I'll admit that I bought the system to play P4G. I have not had a single bit of buyer's remorse, because the game isA lot of people have asked me if it's worth buying a Vita, and my answer is always another question, 'Do you like JRPGs?" If yes, then Persona 4 Golden is the main reason to buy this system. I had never played a Persona game before, but the hype finally got to me, and I'll admit that I bought the system to play P4G. I have not had a single bit of buyer's remorse, because the game is fantastic. A beautiful story with many twists and turns, great fluid gameplay that never feels stiff (here's looking at you, Final Fantasy X...), and characters that will stick with you forever. There's a reason Persona 4 has sparked the most spinoffs, and it's because it's easily one of the best RPGs ever conceived. If you haven't played this game, do yourself a favor and buy it. Truly a game that lives up to the hype. Expand
  38. Jun 30, 2014
    Just finished Persona 4 The Golden last night. I must admit that this game is a MASTERPIECE. I'll say it upfront, i'm giving this game a 10/10. I enjoyed the game very much.

The story about a young boy who was sent to live with his uncle in the countryside, Inaba Town. He will have to live there for a year. The first time he arrived, lots of rumor about the midnight channel and people missing. What exactly happened in Inaba & what's our hero role in all of this? Play and find it out.

Plus point:
    - This game has like every aspect to make the game enjoyable. First of all, a strong main story. I mean yeah, you are a high schooler who is a student at days while playing the role of a guy who can summon persona and whack the ass of Shadows? That's pretty much cool. And not just that, we got lines of strong supporting characters. You could unfold what happened in Inaba, searching for the truth or stop at the false truth, it's all up to you. Because the fate of the story is in your hand.
    - Social links & normal life! Supporting characters are not just supporting characters, you can actually bond with them and get extra side story. Our hero is a high school student, so it's just normal to have activities outside school. You can go on a date, hang out with your friends, find a girlfriend, eat at the restaurant, learn more about your friends, you can do part time jobs, read books, make lunch, etc. This makes the game just real and we can relate it to our life as well.
    - Music! Shoji Meguro is definitely a genius. He writes most of the songs for the Megami Tensei series and yes, this game has addictive music. The battle music, theme song, background music, it's just awesome. It makes you enjoy the game more than ever.
    - Persona 4 The Golden is like a complete edition of Persona 4. At first i thought just some extra scene and a little upgrade. I was wrong. The new shuffle system, extra scene of going skiing, going to beach, festival & stuffs? It's just awesome. New social link like Marie and her true story? That's just awesome. This is my 2nd time playing it and i'm still amazed by the new contents. Costumes, Riding Bike, 3rd Evolution. Epilogue showing how's your friend a year later, & etc. Thumbs up Atlus, just...awesome.

Minus Point:
    - Seriously? None. But if i have to point it out. You can get the "True" True Ending only if you play it the 2nd time. Well, most people would love to play it again. But not for me, uh-uh. I don't like playing the whole game for the 2nd time. But by playing it the 2nd time, that means you can get the other Social Link that you haven't got the first time. Well it's all about perspective though.

After all i REALLY....REALLY recommend you to buy this game if you own a Vita. This game is a masterpiece and you GOT to have this game. 10/10, nuff said & just grab the f*cking game.
  39. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One struggles to put into words the superb quality of this game. Brilliant story full of twist and turns, humorous dialogues, loveable characters that make social links worth maxing out, and strategical RPG gameplay that really makes the player choose their moves carefully all are the ingredients that helped make this game the wonder that it is. Challenge is also there with increasingly difficult boss and enemy battles and with time management in maxing out all social links before a year has been and gone. I have played this game four times over and enjoyed just as much each time, with secrets after the player's first playthrough such as hidden bosses. By far, one of the best games on the PS Vita and definitely one to pick up. Expand
  40. Jul 24, 2014
    I'm usually not one for JRPGS. I'm terrible at micromanaging and have a tendency to not see a 60 hour campaign to its entirety. That being said, Persona 4 Golden is one of my favorite RPGs ever. I haven't felt this strongly about a group of characters since Mass Effect 2. This game alone is worth buying a Vita for.
  41. Jul 25, 2014
    One of the greatest RPGs of all time. As you get lost in its intriguing plot, you will try to balance the silent protagonist's social life with challenging dungeon crawling. Polished gameplay, colourful characters and a wonderful soundtrack make this an unforgettable experience.
  42. Sep 9, 2014
    One of the best if not the best RPG of all time. The characters, npcs and setting is unmatched. The story is a believable masterpiece with lot of plot twists and multiple endings. All characters fell alive and have their own stories / personalities. The game-play is a mixture of rpg and daily live sim. Your decisions matter. You can make friends (= gain additional / better abilities), workOne of the best if not the best RPG of all time. The characters, npcs and setting is unmatched. The story is a believable masterpiece with lot of plot twists and multiple endings. All characters fell alive and have their own stories / personalities. The game-play is a mixture of rpg and daily live sim. Your decisions matter. You can make friends (= gain additional / better abilities), work (= make money), learn for school (better exam results) and much more. Except for some events it is totally up to you. For me this game alone is a reason to buy a vita. Expand
  43. Mar 22, 2013
    Questo porting migliorato di persona 4, iconico capitolo della serie nato alla fine del ciclo vitale di ps2 e oggetto l’anno passato di un adattamento anime, si appresta a portare su Vita un’avventura JRPG a metà fra investigazioni, soprannaturale e slice of life, con numerose aggiunte fra cui nuove Persona evocabili dai protagonisti, tanti eventi aggiuntivi ed un nuovo personaggio creatoQuesto porting migliorato di persona 4, iconico capitolo della serie nato alla fine del ciclo vitale di ps2 e oggetto l’anno passato di un adattamento anime, si appresta a portare su Vita un’avventura JRPG a metà fra investigazioni, soprannaturale e slice of life, con numerose aggiunte fra cui nuove Persona evocabili dai protagonisti, tanti eventi aggiuntivi ed un nuovo personaggio creato ad hoc. http://blackops2.altervista.org/guida-ita-persona-4-golden-in-italiano/ Expand
  44. Sep 16, 2014
    Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likreMore like morePlzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likreMore like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre Expand
  45. Sep 11, 2014
    One of the very few games which I give a perfect score to, Persona 4 Golden has made it onto my list of all time favorite games, a list which is usually only dominated by nostalgia! The Vita version of this classic PS2 jRPG includes a new "true" ending to the story as well as a new "bad" ending, an updated soundtrack, and new social links. The game itself plays like a detective RPG. Set inOne of the very few games which I give a perfect score to, Persona 4 Golden has made it onto my list of all time favorite games, a list which is usually only dominated by nostalgia! The Vita version of this classic PS2 jRPG includes a new "true" ending to the story as well as a new "bad" ending, an updated soundtrack, and new social links. The game itself plays like a detective RPG. Set in the small town of Inaba, the player goes through a year making friends and investigating a string of murder cases which upset the tranquility of your new town. The gameplay sports an intuitive turn based battle system where your relationship to your fellow party members can determine the actions they may take in battle. The tried and true turn-based gameplay which jRPGs are so famous for is enhanced through the amazing vocal soundtrack which seems to bounce in beat with your party and keep even the most mundane of fights feeling exciting. In the game you can collect various "Personas" which level up and learn new moves as they progress. Fusion of these personas is also extremely handy to create powerful new personas and give you and your allies a wide range of tactics to employ. The story in the game is absolutely top notch, from each ending and each social link you gather an extremely in depth and developed view of each of the many major characters in the game. The mystery keeps you guessing who the killer is, and the social aspects of the game allow you to become extremely connected to the various characters who all have their share of very human character flaws. When not dungeon crawling, you are able to control the daily life of the main character and choose your path through Inaba. From when to complete homework, where you want to work as a part time job, and even if you feel like going to bed early, there are plenty of options which the game offers. Persona 4 Golden is an experience I won't soon forget, the title lends credence to the quality of the game. It is quite Golden, and as such deserves a 10/10 Expand
  46. Nov 6, 2014
    This is hereby my favorite game on the PS VITA, the story is amazing, the characters are well done and the RPG elements are well implemented. It has all the elements from Persona 4, more events and an extra character. I have played this game start to finish 5 times already..... Yeah, its that good.
  47. Nov 12, 2014
    This game, without a doubt, is one of the best games I have ever played. The lenght of the game is extensive. The music is well crafted and uniqu to the game. The battle system is smooth and engaging. Where this game truely shines is in the voice acting and character development. Persona 4 Golden has the player (or at least me) truely caring and feeling for the various characters. TheThis game, without a doubt, is one of the best games I have ever played. The lenght of the game is extensive. The music is well crafted and uniqu to the game. The battle system is smooth and engaging. Where this game truely shines is in the voice acting and character development. Persona 4 Golden has the player (or at least me) truely caring and feeling for the various characters. The characters can be funny, dramatic, annoying, persistent and a vast arrary of other qualities. The development team produced well rounded protagonists with quite a bit of depth. Everything about this game shines and it deserves to be played. ATLUS is a company that has been producing quality and this is a fine example. Enjoy. Expand
  48. Nov 20, 2014
    Best JRPG off all time perfect characters and story...................................................................................................
  49. Nov 25, 2014
    Took me 100 hours to finish and my only criticism is that it isn't long enough. It's worth buying a vita for and I'm not even a RPG fan, never mind JRPGs.
  50. Dec 3, 2014
    Wish I could give it a 9.8.

Amazing cast, Amazing visuals, Amazing story, Amazing writing and character development just overall amazing.

I did feel some of the grinding however and no classic form of entertainment should feel like work at any point.

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]