• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.2

1. Jul 25, 2014
    One of the greatest RPGs of all time. As you get lost in its intriguing plot, you will try to balance the silent protagonist's social life with challenging dungeon crawling. Polished gameplay, colourful characters and a wonderful soundtrack make this an unforgettable experience.
  2. Jul 24, 2014
    I'm usually not one for JRPGS. I'm terrible at micromanaging and have a tendency to not see a 60 hour campaign to its entirety. That being said, Persona 4 Golden is one of my favorite RPGs ever. I haven't felt this strongly about a group of characters since Mass Effect 2. This game alone is worth buying a Vita for.
  3. Jul 23, 2014
    This is a great game. The story is unpredictable which keeps it interesting as well as the strategic combat. It does a great job getting you invested in all of the characters through their back stories and just hanging out with them. Not many games can make you laugh like this game and then make you this sad too. It definitely lives up to all the hype and exceeded my expectations for it. Highly Recommend!!! Expand
  4. Jul 16, 2014
    A lot of games interest me for a few hours and then ultimately lose me. I never return. P4G has been an exception. 25+ hours into the game and it still feels fresh. Sure, some of the dialogue is hokey and borderline offensive, but the game still has charm. Looking forward to seeing how the story unfolds.
  5. Jul 9, 2014
    10/10 el mejor juego de todos jeje es neta no mames este juego es una vergototota asi de 8 kilometros para dentro de tu cola asi bien gigantesca y venosa y peluda, asi bien brillante vhorreando semen asi cccfffrchfhrfhrcfhr ssacando fuego, no mames comprenlo o pirateenselo sin un unos plebs **** jodidos de mierda pero en serio no se deberian perder esta maravilla, si tienes cancer o sida o cualquie rotra enfermedad terminal y ya te vas a morir, jugar este juego es la ultima cosa que debes hacer en tu miserable existencia Expand
  6. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One struggles to put into words the superb quality of this game. Brilliant story full of twist and turns, humorous dialogues, loveable characters that make social links worth maxing out, and strategical RPG gameplay that really makes the player choose their moves carefully all are the ingredients that helped make this game the wonder that it is. Challenge is also there with increasingly difficult boss and enemy battles and with time management in maxing out all social links before a year has been and gone. I have played this game four times over and enjoyed just as much each time, with secrets after the player's first playthrough such as hidden bosses. By far, one of the best games on the PS Vita and definitely one to pick up. Expand
  7. Jun 30, 2014
    Just finished Persona 4 The Golden last night. I must admit that this game is a MASTERPIECE. I'll say it upfront, i'm giving this game a 10/10. I enjoyed the game very much.

The story about a young boy who was sent to live with his uncle in the countryside, Inaba Town. He will have to live there for a year. The first time he arrived, lots of rumor about the midnight channel and people
    missing. What exactly happened in Inaba & what's our hero role in all of this? Play and find it out.

Plus point:
    - This game has like every aspect to make the game enjoyable. First of all, a strong main story. I mean yeah, you are a high schooler who is a student at days while playing the role of a guy who can summon persona and whack the ass of Shadows? That's pretty much cool. And not just that, we got lines of strong supporting characters. You could unfold what happened in Inaba, searching for the truth or stop at the false truth, it's all up to you. Because the fate of the story is in your hand.
    - Social links & normal life! Supporting characters are not just supporting characters, you can actually bond with them and get extra side story. Our hero is a high school student, so it's just normal to have activities outside school. You can go on a date, hang out with your friends, find a girlfriend, eat at the restaurant, learn more about your friends, you can do part time jobs, read books, make lunch, etc. This makes the game just real and we can relate it to our life as well.
    - Music! Shoji Meguro is definitely a genius. He writes most of the songs for the Megami Tensei series and yes, this game has addictive music. The battle music, theme song, background music, it's just awesome. It makes you enjoy the game more than ever.
    - Persona 4 The Golden is like a complete edition of Persona 4. At first i thought just some extra scene and a little upgrade. I was wrong. The new shuffle system, extra scene of going skiing, going to beach, festival & stuffs? It's just awesome. New social link like Marie and her true story? That's just awesome. This is my 2nd time playing it and i'm still amazed by the new contents. Costumes, Riding Bike, 3rd Evolution. Epilogue showing how's your friend a year later, & etc. Thumbs up Atlus, just...awesome.

Minus Point:
    - Seriously? None. But if i have to point it out. You can get the "True" True Ending only if you play it the 2nd time. Well, most people would love to play it again. But not for me, uh-uh. I don't like playing the whole game for the 2nd time. But by playing it the 2nd time, that means you can get the other Social Link that you haven't got the first time. Well it's all about perspective though.

After all i REALLY....REALLY recommend you to buy this game if you own a Vita. This game is a masterpiece and you GOT to have this game. 10/10, nuff said & just grab the f*cking game.
  8. Jun 14, 2014
    As a kid, i was hooked on jRPGS like Final fantasy 1-9, Chrono Trigger, Shining force, Breath of Fire etc. At some point, when i finished breath of fire IV (which is awesome, i recommend) i stopped playing jRPGs. They have a feel about them that is too familiar, and more or less, the same. I don't get that feeling with persona. It's new, refreshing and a role-playing aspect of an ROLE PLAY GAME (RPG). Characters are well developed, and that is the accent of the game. Fighting has some cool mechanics, and that is fine too. Game feels like a mix between final fantasy, monster rancher and life simulator. It is weird, i give you that, but it kinda works. It works better than anyone would expect. While today RPGs teach you that you can get ANYTHING you want if you grind long enough, talk to people etc... persona is not like that. It gives you options and it's up to you how you'll play your "cards". Great story, great characters and amazing gameplay on great system. 10/10 Expand
  9. Jun 12, 2014
    A lot of people have asked me if it's worth buying a Vita, and my answer is always another question, 'Do you like JRPGs?" If yes, then Persona 4 Golden is the main reason to buy this system. I had never played a Persona game before, but the hype finally got to me, and I'll admit that I bought the system to play P4G. I have not had a single bit of buyer's remorse, because the game is fantastic. A beautiful story with many twists and turns, great fluid gameplay that never feels stiff (here's looking at you, Final Fantasy X...), and characters that will stick with you forever. There's a reason Persona 4 has sparked the most spinoffs, and it's because it's easily one of the best RPGs ever conceived. If you haven't played this game, do yourself a favor and buy it. Truly a game that lives up to the hype. Expand
  10. May 9, 2014
    This game is awesome! I am a big Persona fan and this remake hit the spot. The characters were enjoyable expect for a few people that were just **** The dialogue is brilliant the added character is awesome. The game is a grind fest which can be off putting but if you can look past that i recommend this game to anyone who has a ps vita.
  11. UCA
    May 8, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  12. May 1, 2014
    the 1st reason I bought a PS VITA. Worth my money, time and praise. I love this game and because of that I love my VITA. I wish Atlus Would make a PERSONA exclusive game for vita.
  13. Apr 7, 2014
    one of my all time favorite games! the vita version is by far a huge improvement on the ps2 version, if you haven't played this yet I recommend you do! it's fantastic!
  14. Mar 26, 2014
    I bought this game last month and just got the platinum trophy yesterday, 120+ hours spent. This is the first time I've played Persona franchise and I found it impressive. You are free to take actions almost every day in the game and there are so many things you can do and may want to do. To be honest, exploring dungeons in this game is extremely tedious for me and I don't like the story at early stages which just simply repeats a similar pattern. However, these two "weak points" failed to stop me from completing the game because I had enough fun outside of them. Expand
  15. Mar 26, 2014
    To sum up, P4G is 90% book and 10% gameplay. The writing and characterization is really good, I won't argue that, but as a GAME it is pretty bad. The gameplay consists are very generic and shallow turn based battles with no unique features. That is literally all the gameplay this game contains. Like I said, if all you want is a 100 hour visual novel to simulate the popular high school experience and go out on dates with virtual girls, go ahead and get this game, but if you want an actual GAME, stay far away. Everything is there to serve the (EXTREMELY predictable plot, I guessed the ending after 10 hours), and honestly, the game is boring. I like books as much as the next guy, but this game is literally a book with some bad combat thrown in. Expand
  16. Mar 20, 2014
    I never had the chance to play P4 on PS2. I first picked up Persona 2 for PSP on Vita and really liked it so i decided to give a go on the others too. So i bought P4G and a new era of JRPG loving started for me. This game is so deep both on a gameplay and a storytelling level that it made me wanna finish it 100% and do everything, a thing that i didn't usually do with JRPGs. It is a unique masterpiece among its kind that will be in the top ten games for years to come. Its a must for JRPG and anime fans, so don't hesitate. I cant wait for Persona 5!!!! I hope is as good or better but P4 has set the bar to high. Expand
  17. Mar 12, 2014
    Quite possibly the greatest game I've ever played. Story, characters, music, gameplay are all top notch. The characters are without a doubt the games strongest point. It would be impossible not to get attached. Must own for any PS Vita system.
  18. Mar 3, 2014
    I just want to start off by saying that I really wanted to give this game a 10/10.

Persona 4 Golden (or the original) is a wondrous magical amazing game that every RPG enthusiast should play. There are many perfect aspects about the game, like the endlessly interesting story, the fun combat, the pokemon-like creature collection, the incredible social link system, the gorgeous menus, and
    the (mostly) beautiful music. I thoroughly enjoyed the themes of searching for truth, and many times I believed the game to be over when a surprising twist to the plot kept me playing for 80+ hours. However, due to a few minor shortcomings and one huge flaw, I could not give this game the score it deserves.

The major problem with this game was the dungeon crawling. The randomly generated, multi-leveled dungeons just aren't fun. Each one has the same design, which involves navigating hallways to find chests and the stairwell to the next level. Unfortunately, after the first dungeon, it just became very repetitive and generic. It felt like a chore more than a pleasure. During the long sessions of the real world, I would actually dread having to go back to the grind. This outdated gameplay should have been redesigned during the initial stages of development.

Other problems with the game range anywhere from many of the vocal-heavy soundtrack music (although this is mostly preference), to the overly-difficult to manage ability system. The latter makes Persona creation less than ideal for creating Personas with preferred abilities.

Some things really aren't very clear either, such as the best ways to utilize the social links, and how to completely advance the story. A little more help would have been nice. Maybe I wouldn't have wasted several dozen days doing useless tasks. Also, I still have no idea how to catch bugs or fish.

Regardless, the game is phenomenal and is currently the best game on Vita by far. 9/10
  19. Mar 2, 2014
    This is THE best game I have ever played. The formula of short days with meaningful activities makes it very addictive. The combat is excellent and spices up the formula of turn based battles with chances to take extra turns when hitting a weak spot of an enemy or dealing critical damage. Excellent presentation and style sells the world. The characters and the various voice actors behind the voices are excellent with realistic dialogue. They are not just JRPG stereotypes but really do act like kids that age. They can be insensitive and awkward but loveable and kind all at the same time. Dungeons are as quick and as deep as you make them. Over powered and want to skip to the boss. Just keep running as enemies rarely catch up to you. I played it in normal mode and got the true ending plus epilogue and I have to say playing it on a second playthrough was worth it. Love the anime cut scenes and lastly the music, its hard to understand but the tunes are catchy and never get old. I really want a follow up story for these guys. Be it anime or a whole new game or even a manga I will snatch it up. My favourite game ever made.

Buy it!

From a 22 year old gamer ;)
  20. Feb 25, 2014
    This is RPG brilliance. Fantastic gameplay complimented by an intriguing story and characters put together in a beautiful-to-look-at anime style make this easily the the best game available on the Vita to date. It should come with a warning label due to how addictive it can be.
  21. Feb 24, 2014
    **This review is purely from a casual RPG player's point of view**
    Persona 4 Golden is one of the best games I've played so far. Before playing P4G, I wasn't aware of this series and/or did not care to know more about them. The reason I bought persona 4 golden was that the game had many good reviews. I bought this game not knowing that I'll get completely sucked into the series of Shin
    Megami Tensei universe. If I knew about this game earlier, I'd have bought a vita to play it long time ago. Since I don't dare spoil the wonderful story behind this wonderful game, all I can say is that if you are a big fan of RPG like myself, you're in for a delicious treat. Just be careful with your choices in the game, cause your choices dangerously matters here. Expand
  22. Feb 23, 2014
    How does one even begin to talk about a game so overhyped? That is one of the main words I'd use to describe P4G. So many times I've heard "This is the best Vita game!" that I expected so much of it, it couldn't possibly have held up. Further more, Persona 3 is my favorite game, so Persona 4 would have to try real hard to impress me. Never the less I went in very optimistic about this game, understanding that it's something different. To sum it all up: too different, at least for me. But on an important note, I want you to know that I haven't let my feelings about Persona 3 get in the way of my honest review about Persona 4 Golden - what follows are my thoughts about the game as a single experience. Comparissons are just mandatory at some points, but bring nothing to my final score, as you will see in my conclusion
    Also, another side note, I can't have people talking about that this is the best Vita game - this is a port of a PS2 game, that got a bit ruined over the porting process. Think about it.
    On a graphical note, the game holds up. Nothing spectacular, but it doesn't need to be. Some of the new designs they went with look stupid, I found myself laughing out loud at them on a couple ocassions, which to me isn't a good sign. Overall on the polish standpoint it stands proudly alongside other entries in the SMT series - extremely polished and nicely stylised. I think the style they chose doesn't fit much, but I'll talk about that later on.
    This game sounds good too. I don't find the OST to be particularly strong, but it's fitting. However it does not manage to escape some stereotypes, though it tries to. But when it uses a stereotypes- it succeeds brilliantly. I have to mention that it has awesome voice work, featuring some of the best actors in the branch. There are some moments of awkward silence in this game that I did not get or like.
    The story of Persona 4 is a weird one in execution, not in content. I have to admit that after the amazing story of Persona 3, I expected this to be strong as or stronger than Persona 3. Persona 4 offers a mix of stereotypical characters (with a few exclusions, to my surprise) with bland origin stories, in favor of offering a more complex, dark and brooding plot. However, it's not as good as it sounds. The plot of the game isn't bad, it is simply badly directed - the game overall favors gameplay over story, which may be your thing - keep in mind that it's not mine. The plot seems nice and complex, but it misses a lot of opportunities to become stronger. The story has it's better moments, though - I got some solid laughs and even some soggy eyes at certain points. But in the end it's still a very slow moving story, that tries to end out with a bang, but ends out feeling rushed. To sum the story up: I found myself pressing the "Skip" button way more often that I thought I was capable of in a game of this caliber.
    To my surprise, however, this game shines on the gameplay standpoint. It offers a lot of activities to do, most of which are very fun and addicting. The main gameplay is very spiced up and not-boring as per usual with JRPGs (in my opinion). There are two major things I didn't like about the gameplay, which for the sake of spoilers, I will sum up into one, spoiler-free sentance: This game gives you NO hints for things it expects you to know and do, and proceeds to punish you for not doing them. To a gamer like me, who likes freedom of choice and rewarding story-driven gameplay, I found the gameplay boxing. A lot of times I said to myself "Immersion broken", because this game often reminded me that it's a game - something I don't want to think about while trying to be a part of the experience. Also, the overall bright presentation of the game ruins it at times too, being unfitting for the plot it tries to sell.
    In conclusion, I think the only reason people are overhyping this game is because it's the only Persona game they've played. Don't let that fool you. But I have something else to say too: I'd rate an 8/10 as a sequel to Persona 3, because as we see in the bigger picture, the two are connected. I'ts not a good sequel. But it's a heck of a standalone 9/10 game. You owe it to yourself to play this game, because even going beyond the statement that it's worse than Persona 3, which I am going off here, I cannot deny the fact that it's a really awesome game that you should not miss. I still say it's not the best Vita game, because it's a PS2 game. I do recommend playing the Vita version, because long games are made for portables, but if you chose to do so - google things carefully, because overhype leads to overexposure, and spoilers are everywhere! Further more, be prepared to spoil some things for yourself intentionally if you want to get the most out of this game (talking about the thing the game expects you to know). Conclusion: Play Persona 3 first, reasons can be found in my Persona 3 review, also P4 is a sequel to P3 none the less.
  23. Feb 16, 2014
    A great addition to the series, the Persona spin-offs are fast becoming more noteworthy than the core SMT titles they are attached to. Golden is a remake of the PS2 classic of the same name, Persona 4. Any newcomers to the series will find 4 a much more forgiving entry to Persona games than 3. With a lighthearted story to contrast well with the darker portions of the plot as well as gameplay you can feel like you have more control over, Persona 4 and the VITA port P4: Golden makes heavy effort to draw in new players in the series and does it well.

Combat is done turn-based style, with the twist from previous P3 entry in that you can control your allies' attacks and techniques if you so choose. This simple addition makes P4 a much more forgiving title to new players.

The story is engaging, with a strong focus on bonding with characters to help drive your investment in the world. Though it is a direct numerical sequel to the Persona spin-offs and makes a few references to older games, P4 still keeps the story open and accessible to new players.

One of the largest draws to me is since it is a port of a ps2 game, and a long one at that, the game feels sufficiently worth the money to get on the VITA. The biggest gripe I've had in a long time for hand held games lately has been the low playtime. P4 can take a very long time to complete if you allow yourself to get lost in it's depth, particularly with the leveling and social system.

If you have a VITA and wish to play a solid JRPG, then it is difficult for me to see how you can go wrong with P4: Golden.
  24. Feb 1, 2014
    With the brilliant soundtrack, especially ' the almighty ' likeable characters and addicting gameplay persona 4 golden is not only the best game on the Vita its the greatest JRPG ever made IMO.
  25. Feb 1, 2014
    This game is a real systemseller, I truly believe there is no such other game on PS Vita. It's really massive, it has A LOT of top notch made content, there is no point to explain all the advantages of the game, I just say that all Vita owners should buy this game at any cost and all the others should buy PS Vita to play this fantastic game.
  26. ERB
    Jan 23, 2014
    This is the King Of PlayStation Vita games.The game play is fun the story is great and interesting.Persona 4 lives up to the hype we were all expecting and importantly it surpasses the hype.Buy this game now and play it.This game is the number 1 reason to buy a PlayStation Vita.
  27. Jan 20, 2014
    I tried very, very hard to like this game but I just couldn't. Japenese RPGs are my go to genre and this disappointed me, especially with all the fantastic reviews I saw.

It's different than your usual RPG, which is good, but there is too much going on and I never knew how to spend my time "correctly". I wasn't sure when to level for the next dungeon, and if I was under levelled I had
    to go back in time a week after my game ended.

The battle system was classic and solid but I hated not being able to leave a dungeon to heal. If you do it skips ahead a day which makes it so you can't do other daily things like raising your social links and such.

The story and characters gripped me however. The story and characters you meet are deep and interesting, for the most part.

I will try playing again one day, but be prepared for something very different. Great ideas, but just not for me.
  28. Jan 18, 2014
    Persona 4 Golden is a wonderfully made game that is an actual improvement on the PS2 version. Its the extra details that really win one over such as the new levels, and cut scenes. Worth a second play through at least.
  29. Jan 4, 2014
    Let me get this out of the way:
    1. In the first half I will be discussing the game itself
    2.In the second half I will discuss the deiferences in the Vita port.
    Part 1!
    Persona 4 (along with it's Golden version) is the best game I have ever played. I NEVER in my life thought that a video game would engross me so much that I would cry simply because I had finished it. Everything from the
    controls to the combat system that makes grinding FUN to the art style and the best cast of character ever produced by video games is absolutely, unquestionably, perfect. Persona has a incredibly large cast of characters but still manages to make them all interesting. Even my least favorite character in the game, Rise Kujikawa, is STILL so interesting that she gives Elizabeth and the 2013 Lara Croft a run for their money.The combat system is like a combination of Pokemons monster capturing and weakness exploiting, mixed with Final Fantasies controlling a diverse team aspect. And if you're looking for engaging content, this game has you covered in abundance. From the multiple social links and endings, to dialogue options to questing and dungeon crawling for extras is done absolutely masterfully. Persona 4/Golden is a game that shows us what the medium of gaming has the potential to offer in terms of story telling, because unlike The Last of Us or Beyond Two Souls, it focuses on story and gameplay equally to make something so unimaginably good that it makes even Nintendo's best offerings shiver in fear. If you have a Playstation 2 or Vita and haven't played Persona 4 or Golden, you're missing out on so much it's actually sad.
    Part 2, Golden extras!
    1. Another character you can S.Link by the name of Marie
    2.An extra dungeon
    3. A epilogue taking place three months after you leave
    4.New Game Plus allowing you to play the game again with all stats fro your first playthrough.
    Conclusion
    Persona 4 is a that will probably never be surpassed. So do yourself a favor and spend the best 30 dollars of your life!Rating: 10//10 "Perfect"
  30. Jan 3, 2014
    Persona 4 Golden was my first Persona game and boy was it a good way to start. Persona offers an interesting story with characters that you will bond with and won't forget. Exploring dungeons, can admittedly get a little old, but it still doesn't draw you away from the experience. Persona 4 Golden is a must have if you own a Vita. (Or you can get Persona 4 for the PS2.)
  31. Dec 31, 2013
    Is wort buy a vita just to play this legendary game,an immense amount of activities and a great dungeon crawler that take you like a hundred hours to finish,is amazing if you like jrpg or else you can hate this masterpiece
  32. Dec 27, 2013
    Persona 4 is one of the greatest games I have every played and now, Atlus releases the same game, enhanced, and with 30+ hours of content. I recommend anyone with a interest in RPG and story to buy this game.
  33. Dec 21, 2013
    I rarely give anything a perfect score. But Persona 4 Golden is as close as it gets. The story is fantastic, the characters are brilliantly portrayed and you feel a real connection to them, the voice-acting is pretty much the best I've seen in a videogame, the gameplay is superb, and for a PS2 port the graphics are good. This isn't only something that will appeal to JRPG fans, but to ANY gamer out there looking for an amazing experience. Expand
  34. Dec 14, 2013
    The game has long stretches of gameplay without save points and I've had it hang twice now on certain menu screens. I've lost about 12 hours of time due to this bug, and I'm absolutely disgusted that this was allowed to be put into the final product.
  35. Dec 14, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is a phenomenal game.

The characters are incredible, memorable and amazingly written and voiced. The story carries throughout the 75+ adventure, with some amazing twists and exciting developments. Combat is strategic and challenging...

I could rattle on and on about P4G, but I won't. You can see, along with tons of other customers and fans, that P4G is a
    masterpiece.

Absolutely a masterpiece.
  36. Nov 21, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is often touted as the greatest (J-)RPG of all time. Is it worthy of that title? Well, that's up to yourself to decide, but I'll try to help making that decision.
    Concerning characters and story, it's a masterpiece. The characters are funny, likeable, and interesting. When you start off and get to know them, one of the biggest reasons to play the game will be to find out
    more about the people you meet. And thanks to P4's social link system (which is comparable to Fire Emblem's excellent support conversations), you will be able to find out more about their backstories while, at the same time, improving your abilities in combat. For the most part, you will be working towards achieving these social links and building up your "soft skills" through interaction with the people in the town of Inaba. As the game progresses, you get the chance to buy books, visit a city to buy clothes and other stuff by driving on a scooter, write exams in school. All these things, if you choose to do them, will improve your combat abilities or your abilities to fuse Personas, which is an interesting mechanic and adds a lot of depth to the battle system. In a way, one half of Persona 4 plays almost like a life simulator, and this part is the one that will most likely lead you to love this game.
    Talking about the story, it's most comparable to a crime movie mixed with fantasy elements. The murder cases will give you all sorts of leads on who the culprit might be, and you will probably be dieing to find out (that is, if you are anything like me). The story got me extremely hooked while doing my first playthrough.
    Regarding the fighting system: You have the option to control all players in battle, or you can choose to let your friends be controlled by the game while only choosing actions for the main protagonist. Thanks to the Persona system (which is kind of comparable to how Pokémon plays), you have a wide variety of Persona-Attack combinations to fiddle with, adding a lot of depth. This only goes for the main character though, your friends have fixed Personas that gain fixed attacks through leveling up the Persona or the social link. The attacks consist of different types that have different effects on certain monsters (again, think Pokémon). This also means that you will have to figure out a monsters weaknesses and strengths in order to win.
    This all sounds pretty great, and up to this point I would easily give this game the title of "greatest RPG of all", but there is one fatal flaw: the levels themselves. The levels that you traverse are rather bland, and most of them are randomly generated. You will find out that most of these randomly generated "floors" will be very similar to each other, and the only thing reminding you that you are in a different level than before are the textures for the floor and wall.
    All that said, Persona 4 is a great JRPG, and probably one of the best Dating Sims out there. I, for one, rather traverse through Inaba, talking to the people and building social links with my friends than going through the levels, and thanks to the "very easy" difficulty, I can do basically that (you level up extremely fast, meaning no grinding and thus less time to spend in the dungeons). The replayability value of the game is extremely high and you have to play the game at least 3 times to see all it has to offer, but considering the addicting nature of it's life simulation/sim dating part, this will not be a problem, but rather a joy.
    I would give this game a 9.3 if it were possible, but since I can only give natural numbers from 0-10, I'll have to settle for the 9. It is a really good game though, and definitely the best game the Vita has to offer so far. If you own one, go buy this game.
  37. Shi
    Nov 15, 2013
    If you have a Vita and you like JRPG's, Persona 4 Golden is a must have. Solid gameplay, great graphics, beautiful artwork, and an excellent story. Definitely the best enhancement of a game I've ever played.
  38. Nov 6, 2013
    First off, let me just say that this is my favorite video game of all time. The story, atmosphere, characters, music, and voice acting are all nearly perfect. The gameplay itself is fantastic as well; the typical SMT gameplay experience you would expect still shines bright in Persona 4 without being horribly difficult (you'll usually never be stuck in the same place for too long). Persona 4 Golden also adds much more content to the PS2 original, with new battle mechanics and in-game days, as well as a new character and side-story to go with her. The game is quite long too, around 80 hours with the normal ending, and that's not including the hours you will spend in new game plus.

However, as great as this game is, I can't give it a perfect score because it has a pretty prevalent flaw: its tendency to go too long with the cinematics. Now don't get me wrong; the story is outstanding and can really only be told with excessive conversation, but sometimes it carries on longer than it should. There's literally a straight hour of storytelling before you get into any freedom or dungeon gameplay, and sometimes the game goes long times without any dungeoning. That aside, the game is still excellent and I would recommend it to any fan of JRPG's or visual novels.
  39. Nov 4, 2013
    Possibly one of the best RPGs ever, it outclasses its predecessor in almost everyday with memorable characters and many dungeons to explore, there is always something to do in Inaba. Although the graphics are considered outdated for the current-gen, the gameplay more than makes up for its weakness
  40. Oct 11, 2013
    I like JRPGs but this just wasn't my cup of tea. The game is beautiful and the sound is awesome. But progressing Personas through the social link system made me cringe. The 4 hour tutorial was a little much even though it eased me into the game. But if you like building relationships with people in general you'll have a blast.
  41. Oct 9, 2013
    I don't think anyone can deny that this game looks beautiful on the Vita. Atlus have done an incredible job of porting both of the latest Persona games in the series to handhelds. This game is not simply a cash-in, it is clearly with love that Atlus keep persona in the current gen until we get the next release on the Playstation 4.
  42. Oct 8, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is what i would call, is a game close to perfection (Yes, it is my favorite game of all time)

I have not played any of the early realises nor have i played the original PS2 edition. It was just a coincidence i brought it. I had a PS Vita, which was lacking good games, I saw that P4G got great reviews, and i thought why not? And I don't like playing Turn Based RPGs, i
    brought it from pure curiosity.

P4G opened my eyes to something new, i now find turn based gameplay more tolerating and I've fallen got an bigger eye open for games and Anime from Japan.

I was laughing with the characters, crying, and i even got true feelings for them. P4G is a emotional rollercoaster that keeps you attached to the characters and the world all the way towards the end.

The Good:
    - Amazing visuals
    - Great voice acting
    - Best writing in gaming history
    - Easy gameplay
    - 100+ Hours of gameplay

The Bad:
    - You lose your life (The real one)

I know this review wont be convincing, but really i beg you to try it out. Its the perfect console seller, so buy a PS Vita just for this game!
  43. Oct 2, 2013
    The storyline people have been raving about...well it's not that great. While it is unique and a different take than the average RPG, which I am very glad for, it's got a lot of boring and infuriating elements to it.

The "heroes" of the story are the least heroic heroes ever. "Eh, let's wait a week to save that guy." "No need to rush in." "Let's stop and discuss this." There's really no
    men of action on the entire team and it's annoying.

Then there's the high school drama part. If you like those cheesy Japanese anime comedy/dramas, ok then you'll love that. I for one hated it and found it a waste of time.

The gameplay is a mix of a typical turn-based RPG and a Japanese dating sim. So again, if you like Japanese dating sims, amazing game for you...not so much for me. I do like the combat though, the persona system is pretty cool, it's a lot like Devil Summoner (another game by the same people with a better storyline) but in pure old school RPG format.

Voice acting is good, graphics are OK, some of the music is good.

It's a good time-waster, but hardly deserves the overwhelming praise it receives.
  44. Sep 23, 2013
    amazing. just, amazing. not only is the turn based gameplay fun, but the story is deep and engaging as well as the characters. you spend time with them which improves your bond with them which helps you create personas and help in battle.the game has five difficulties, which range from very easy to very hard, and ng+ which lets you customize your difficulty.
  45. Sep 17, 2013
    easily one of the best games on the vita, and a huge improvement over p3p in every sense aspects of the game

the protagonist is not overpowered as he was compared to p3p and the other characters are much more useful in combat

so many hidden secrets and love the social links

it has a lot of replayablility
  46. Sep 13, 2013
    Wow, just wow! Probably the best game of all time! Nothing comes close. Quality surpasses anything I've ever seen. People who dislike this game probably hate JRPG's. Western gaming culture will never come close to this.
  47. Sep 6, 2013
    A superb game if only more developers took inspiration from Atlus. Feels very original and is very immersive with excellent charact design and fun combat. A must on Vita
  48. Aug 24, 2013
    Let me start off be saying that I typically do not care for JRPGs, but this game that I thought might take several months to beat is so deep, so well-voiced and so content-rich that I couldn't put it down, plowing through the whole story (70 hours or so) in just a few weeks.

Any game that can make you excited about reading a book or attending basketball practice must be doing
    something right. The voice actors are phenomenal. The dungeon-crawling gameplay is challenging but fair (with a few minor but completely unavoidable exceptions). The story can be a little absurd at times, but it is a hell of a lot of fun to work through.

This game is an absolute must-play for anyone, regardless of your preferences. If you have a Vita and haven't played this game yet, you're doing things wrong.
  49. Aug 22, 2013
    Do you have a PSVita, and into JRPGs? If you said yes to both, Then GET IT!
    I just finished it then, but yea, 'don't think', just get it, you won't regret it...
  50. Aug 21, 2013
    This is my first Persona, and my first JRPG (Unless Kingdom Hearts counts).
    The story in this game is much, much deeper than it first appears. It has a whole load of interesting characters, who many of the player makes friends with. The Anime cutscenes look crisp on the Vita's screen, and the remastering of the game is more than an HDing. The extra content isn't tacked on, and is very
    well integrated into the game, I didn't realise a lot of it wasn't in the last game until I looked it up.
    Personally I find the dungeons to be a bit dull gameplay wise, but I can see why people love it. The social links and general things you can do out side of dungeons is very balanced, and those are my favourite parts of the game.
    Overall, this is one of the best Vita games so far, and I'm quite excited for P5.
  51. Jul 24, 2013
    Oh my god, just completed the gameand i must say, this is by far the best game i've ever played. I have never seen a game with such dedicated and effort put into a title. Every dialog, scene and story is well pieced together and fits perfectly. The character designs are well thought of and never feels out of place.
    Despite being a re-release of the title for a newer console, Atlus has
    added plenty of new features such as animated cut-scenes and online features that definitely spices things up even for people who have already completed the title before. The game features over 70 hours of gameplay which would keep you entertain for weeks or months to come, with such interesting story, it never gets tiring. Expand
  52. Jul 21, 2013
    The first time I heard about persona 4 was from a friend who watched persona 4 the animation and convinced me to watch it, needless to say I was hooked and when I heard it was based on a game I had to buy it. Getting persona 4 Golden was the best decision I made. This game has to be the best JRPG I have ever played in my life I am hooked. I definitely recommend this for anyone who is into JRPG
  53. Jul 11, 2013
    I never played a Persona before, closest I've got was Devil Survivor Overclocked on the 3DS which wasn't a great hit for me, tbh. But this is dang. Definitely one of the best, if not the very best, J-RPG I've ever played.
  54. Jul 6, 2013
    This game is an experience. I have always liked the persona series, and I won't lie, I didn't think this was going to top Persona 3/FES/P3P... I was wrong. This game has an intense and engaging storyline that had me hooked, playing this game into the small (and large) hours of the night. I clocked nearly 60 hours on my first playthrough and went back for more. The battle system and story are great, but the real surprise comes from the social system. Half of the game is played as a (relativley) normal high schooler filling his days with activities and friends it can get so absorbing and interesting I had marathons of this game where I would go well over five or six hours without fighting anything completely absorbed into the game.

This game is a hands-down must play. If the art and culture style of the game don't seem your type, and you skip this game solely on looks you are missing out in a once-in-a-console-generation experience.

I would go as far as saying this game alone justifies the purchase of a Playstation Vita.
  55. Jul 5, 2013
    Never before have I become so invested in an rpg, everything about this game reeks of style and charm, It is hard to explain the emotional impact of persona 4, that I think is the games greatest strength, if you have any anti-anime bias, its time to get over it, because you are missing out on a true classic...
  56. Jun 29, 2013
    Its a huge STEP UP! after playing persona 3 portable. Its also the deepest series in a franchise I ever played. I hope new fans of the franchise will stick to Atlus and see what news they have to offer.
  57. Jun 28, 2013
    The Persona franchise after 3 has seen re-release after re-release. First it was P3, then P3:FES, then P3P, then P4, now P4G. Every time they release a new one, they become that much closer to perfecting their gameplay formula.

P4 is one of the greatest games of all time, with an incredible story and polish. The Golden improves on this formula once again, by adding a large amount of
    content, improving the visuals, and slapping it on the vita. If you have a vita, buy this game. Atlus is the best publisher/developer, and they deserve every penny and high metacritic score they receive. Expand
  58. OoD
    Jun 24, 2013
    This game is pure gold. A ton of great new content added onto an already great game, and now its portable. A great storyline and very lovable characters makes this an amazing game. Overall, the reason to own a Vita.
  59. Jun 24, 2013
    This new rendition of a great classic, became the GREATEST one to date. Everything. I mean everything, that I wanted from an RPG game is here. I could never stress out how much I'm astonished by playing this... "thing" (is it a port? is it a remake? I can't describe its uniqueness). By all means, this game is legendary on all levels and attained a better position than its PS2 counterpart. With all the new features such as the "online mode" stacked into one already-great game, this updated version is worth my every buck. In short, I got more than what I paid for. Expand
  60. Jun 23, 2013
    I heard many good things about Persona 4: Golden but was wary of buying a Vita until the price dropped. Finally I managed to get one $40 off and decided to start with P4G. My history with JRPG's is a mixed bag. I adored the Final Fantasy games up until 8... then the series went downhill for me. There's also Chrono Trigger, the Secret of Mana and various old school JRPG's I could never get enough of.

Over the last 10 years though JRPG's have really put me off (aside from Lost Odyssey which was a personal favourite) and I always go into them very skeptical now, but Persona 4: Golden has exceeded my expectations.

The game is simply fantastic. It constantly engages you with so much to do, but does so in a way that never really feels like a grind. The story is compelling enough to keep you interesting, and the odd TV dimension has enough wonder to keep it imaginative.

I strongly recommend the PS Vita for this game. I'm about 20 hours in but just in the middle of June (in the Game...) so I know I have lots of game left. This game is worth it.
  61. Jun 20, 2013
    Original was really good,and this version is perfected Persona's franchise gameplay.
    I'm a big fan of Persona series,especially Persona3 which I still play.
    All in all,reason to get PS Vita, gets an 10/10,for it's perfection
  62. Jun 17, 2013
    The only JRPG I've tried was Final Fantasy and I hated it. I was running low on Vita games, so I gave this game a shot.
    This game is superb in all aspects, especially on gameplay. It's so fun and addictive. I've had it just for the weekend and already spent over 7 hours. Graphics is OK, nothing special, but still the game gets a high score from me.

Very recommended for all Vita owners!
  63. Jun 17, 2013
    A compelling story, memorable characters, great soundtrack, combat aimed at exploiting weakness, there isn't much that this game doesn't touch base on, and touch base well, I might add. The high school simulation may be something a lot of gamers don't enjoy, however, how it's delivered to allow for the Social Links and character stats to unlock more is still in my favor. From Persona 3, Persona 4 picked up the pace by fixing things that were less than optimal and delivering a fine product. I can't wait for the 5th installment, however wouldn't be surprised if it never comes as, if they continue to follow how well the games are done, the next one will be impossible to top. Expand
  64. Jun 9, 2013
    This is THE best game on PS Vita. Sure there is Uncharted and MGS collection and stuff, but you can find better versions on PS3. This is THE game that made me not regret buying a PS Vita. I was skeptical before I bought it because I was never a big fan of JRPG, but this game just blew my mind. If you don't have this game, then you don't really own a PS Vita. It's that good.
  65. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Coming from a hardcore Final Fantasy fan, you're immediately comfortable with this game, even if the elements aren't all the same. Its a great game overall and very fun to play but am I the only one slightly annoyed by the fact it took 3 or 4 people in the TV for the group of kids to finally catch on that something wasn't right? Also, whats up with the game only having like 5 songs that play at random throughout the game. I thought the tracks were overall pretty great even with the singer's broken english/accent but i swear if i hear "Heartbreak, Heartbeat you tell me goo-bye" one more time i'm going to go nuts. LOL, other than that its a solid game, I would definitely recommend it to any JRPG fan. Expand
  66. Jun 4, 2013
    It is very strange to see such a perfect game in JRPG genre today. It is not a secret, that japanese gaming is already dead, because of the games that look outdated, have a bad outdated gameplay and poor gamedesign. Times of Final Fantasy and Xenogears had passed long long time ago.
    In the PS2 era, ATLUS was the last japanese developer, that made really new thrilling RPG's. Persona 3, SMT
    Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, those titles were amazing, brining the modern and mature JRPG formula to the gamer.
    But at the end they failed. Releasing P4 on PS2 was a horrible mistake. Only 80 000 copies where sold, and thousands of gamers (exept fans) missed one of the greatest jrpg's of a decade.

Re-releasing it was a right step. Re-releasing it on a portable device was even better.

Now we have a great game on the go. there is no way to judge the gameplay formula of Persona 4. It is very peculiar.
    Characters are interesting and deep, dialogues are polished. This are not the things modern japanese games are made of.

Persona 4 is not the best in visuals. But graphics are nice, and overwhelming gamedesign does the rest.

The game became better, bigger, and got in the palm of your hand

Bravo ATLUS. We hope that it is not the last time. Looking forward for more installations in Persona franchise, modern, cool, and deep. And we wait for more PS2 remakes on VITA.
  67. Jun 2, 2013
    Best game of all time! Persona 4: Golden has everything you can hope from a videogame. It takes a weeks, months or even years to see everything that Persona 4: Golden has to offer. Buy this game!
  68. May 22, 2013
    This is the first Persona game I have ever played all the way through and I must say that I am absolutely obsessed with this game. It has a massive amount of story and dialogue without being boring and the turn based battle system has a more lively feel to it than rpgs of old. If you like amazing games then this is for you.
  69. May 10, 2013
    One of the best (if not THE best) RPGs i've played in many many years. Persona 4 Golden is a must buy for Vita owners that did not play the original. The story telling and characters will make u sob when the game is over (seriously, u wish it never ends). Comparing to many great RPGs such as fire emblem, this one is more closer to the heart and you become more attached to the game world and characters. Expand
  70. May 6, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is outstanding in almost every way that matters to a JRPG. After thinking on the matter for a month after completion, to let the honeymoon feelings settle a little, I'm ready to say that this is now my #1 JRPG, ever. The game I'll tell people is the best JRPG I've ever played.

The main story was interesting. The themes were interesting. The characters, even some
    insignificant side ones, were well thought out, and developed. The battle system, being a SMT title, is addictive and has good depth. The art style is vibrant. There's a very large amount of quality voice acting. The soundtrack is full of energy, has a deep number of tracks, and was generally excellent.

Everything looked awesome on the Vita's OLED, and it was convenient to be able to play this sort of game on the handheld... and for a cherry on top they included all kinds of bonus content like original character art, and music videos...

I love this game.
  71. Apr 27, 2013
    This game made me so angry. It made me so ashamed that I was actually playing it. It is mean-spirited, hateful and vile. At a point, I really wanted my money back.

And yet, here I am giving it a good score. Let me tell you, this is the first time I have actually liked a game with these kinds of massive flaws. And not only do I like it, oh no, I love it!
    Persona 4 the Golden is
    wonderfully crafted with amazing designs, great music, amazing game-play and interesting lovable characters. And the story is thrilling, logical and generally very well told.
    This game is one of the best I have ever played and yet I can't give it the 10 points I would like to give it.
    The main mistake that was made with this game, was the creators thinking it needed more humour. It all went downhill from there. There are several events in the game that add nothing to the story and are only there for the characters to get into awkward situations. To get into those situations the otherwise well-written characters act completely out character. They do monumentally stupid and terrible things, which the creators apparently find funny. Not only that, but the game also makes fun of fat people. A lot. The game also makes fun of transvestites. Oh and old people, because they're unattractive. Haha. What a laugh, right? Take my advice: Skip those events. They add nothing and will make you want to bash your head through a pane of glass.
  72. Apr 24, 2013
    Probably one of the best games out on the PS vita and probably for a long time. Persona 4 does so many things right that it be impossible not to enjoy this game. The game looks excellent on the PS vita screen and similar to the PS2 release awhile ago. As the game progresses you meet many different characters that help you throughout the game. The characters are well introduced and as you spend time with them you end up caring for them. But this wouldn't be possible without the the great voice acting put into each character. Even though the main protagonist is silent it doesn't really matter. Not only that but as your bond grows with them you become stronger and you can created stronger persona's as a result. Persona's are basically monster that help you in battle that are more powerful as you create bonds. The game play is really fun in persona and there are many personas a person can make. The story is great as you slowly get closer and closer to finding out who the murderer is. You can end up putting up at least 60 hours in this game and more if you put your time into it. So if you have a PS vita this game is well worth your purchase. Expand
  73. Apr 17, 2013
    Keep in mind that I never played a persona game before. However, I love turn based rpgs. And yes, I realize that this game was made in 2008.

Personally I find much of the game mechanics namely the "sim" part tedious and the game was way too long for its own good. The game expects you to get along and get to know these characters as strong as your friends. However, These characters were
    two dimensional and uninteresting. Many of the plot points were obvious making the reveal of the mystery feel unsatisfying. Many of the abilities and spells' names were too complicated. I wish the naming of each ability was short and was straight to the point. For example Bufu ice?, agi fire??? The progression in the beggining dragged on and felt slow. Then all of the sudden throws many options of what you can do to spend your time all at once. I also, dislike games that rushes me to do things at a certain date such as majora's mask.

Things I liked
    I liked the abilities that used hp as if it was mana. Being able to Down enemies and follow up with an all-out-attack. I also liked the "1 more" function as well.
  74. Apr 17, 2013
    Persona 4 is just brilliant. I loved the PS2 version an this one is even better! Honestly, I was afraid that new exclusive to VITA stuff would suck, but it is exactly the opposite. It is amazing how they fitted a brand new character to this game, without messing the story up. The soundtrack is beautiful with some new tracks and remixes.This one game fully justified buying a PS Vita console.
  75. Apr 16, 2013
    So after reading reviews, I was skeptical about buying seeing as I have never played any of the Persona games. But after some recommendations from close friends, I forked out the $300 and bought the Vita and P4G. Best investment I've made in a long time.
    Everything about this game is amazing, the combat doesn't get stale and keeps you on your toes, the character interaction is the best
    I've seen in a long time!
    I am well and truly in love with this game, I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a refreshing JRPG.
  76. Apr 15, 2013
    I brought this game after going to the store for no ni kuni and coming to the conclusion that it was sold out. I never played a persona game before, but i read some positive reviews about Persona 4 golden and was in the mood for a good JRPG. Now we are 3 weeks further and it's finished. I've spend nearly 85 hours on my first playtrough, and it was worth every second. Persona really sucked me up in his world. Never did i care more about game characters. I almost felt like a teen again, One of the best things about this game is the feeling that everything you do really ads to your character. the social-sim part of the game is great. You can interact with lot's of people in the game and you can develop several social links, deeper relations with other characters. Most of them are quite interesting and add to the main story.

The dungeon's in the game are beautifull and various. The batlle system is just deep enough to stay interesting. Getting better persona by fusing them is really great. The story makes that you want to go further. the game has a cool style, after some hours you will defenetly fall in love. Cutscenes are stunning and give you the feeling that you have accomplished something.

Playing this on the vita really changed my relationship with the console I brought it at launch, and i was already quite happy with the titles that appeared on it. This game only made the bound much stronger, for three weeks it was my closest companion (to despair of my girlfriend)

For me this game is one love letter to gaming in general. It made me feel great, sometimes sad, other times messed up. It made me love Japanese games again. Directly after finishing this i brought persona 3. For a guy with the bad habbit of not finishing his RPG's because there's always something else to play, I think this proves how good this game was for me. And now let's pray for Persona 5 also coming out on the vita (i wouldn't want to miss the pause function for the dungeon segments).
  77. Apr 7, 2013
    Never have I experienced such a fulfilling game in all my 14 years of gaming. With an 80+ hour completion time, several types of gameplay, and impeccable storytelling & characters, I'm genuinely shocked this colossal game is a mere 3.1 GB. It's an RPG, but the choices you make have a much larger outcome in the end than what is conventional. You can choose from multiple jobs, hobbies, girlfriends (or boyfriend, I think), friends, extracurricular activities, sports, books, weapons... the list goes on and on. Cinematics make me feel happy at times and sad at others, I'm sincerely worried about the characters (this may have to do with how much time is spent with them), and it almost feels like I have a complete other life. I was weary of buying this t first, because it honestly looked kind of stupid (a Japanese RPG where you go to school? Really?), but Christ almighty was I ever wrong about that. This is by far the best PSV exclusive I've ever played, and the best PSV title period behind Snake Eater. And at the lower-than-regular price of $29.99, you're really getting your full money's worth. Expand
  78. Apr 4, 2013
    this is one of the best JRPS's I've ever played, I recommend anyone buy this! although Persona 3 will always be my favorite, still you should totally get this!
  79. Mar 22, 2013
    Questo porting migliorato di persona 4, iconico capitolo della serie nato alla fine del ciclo vitale di ps2 e oggetto l’anno passato di un adattamento anime, si appresta a portare su Vita un’avventura JRPG a metà fra investigazioni, soprannaturale e slice of life, con numerose aggiunte fra cui nuove Persona evocabili dai protagonisti, tanti eventi aggiuntivi ed un nuovo personaggio creato ad hoc. http://blackops2.altervista.org/guida-ita-persona-4-golden-in-italiano/ Expand
  80. Mar 10, 2013
    Great recreation of an all time classic, with a lot of new features. This game is probably the best jrpg you will ever play, by itself more than enough reason to buy a vita
  81. Mar 5, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game and certainly 'THE GAME' for the Vita at the moment. If anyone was in doubt about buying a PS Vita, buy one to play this game.

The first few hours just scratch the surface as the game sucks you into the story. Animation as you would expect is superb, and the Odd 'Cut Scenes' are brilliant and shows Anime at its best.

As you play the game more and more, gain
    more power and more personas you find yourself playing constantly to see what the next challenge will be! From building your own characters strengths by social links to gaining more personas, or combining different personas to create even more powerful ones, is genius!

Don't think, reach into your deep pockets and buy this game!
  82. Mar 3, 2013
    I was thinking of selling my Vita before I stumbled on this game but this game alone proves that games can be done right. This is possibly one the most polished and fun games I've EVER played, and I'm usually quite pessimistic about my games. You can check all the other reviews for the details I'm sure, and I don't want to be the 100th odd person to repeat about the good stuff, but if you're reading this -
    there is a reason everybody is raving about this game, so go out and buy it. It starts a little slow but man is it worth sticking by.
  83. Feb 28, 2013
    Ok, let me start by saying traditional turn based RPGs are some of the games I'm most intolerant to, as I find them boring and can't go beyond 1/3 of the game before passing. I'm more of an action/adventure kind of guy, and coming from this background I can testify that this game is great. Don't know if it's the characters' charm, the well structured combat system or that pokemon "you gotta catch em' all" feeling that kept pushing me forward (even in the most tedious parts), but I've spent around a 100 hours playing and I'm seriously considering a second playthrough. Though I never played the original PS2 version, I've looked into all they changes they made for the VITA instalment and I'm shocked!! the additions merge so well with the original content that I can't believe the original version lacked them..... yes, it's that polished... and yes, it makes the original version seem incomplete in comparison. If you're like me and have serious reservations about this game because of your gaming background, do yourself a favor and at least rent it. Even if you don't completely dig the gameplay, if you're a fan of anime, chances are you're still gonna like the game anyways. Expand
  84. Feb 27, 2013
    I took me a while to realize this, but I have come to the conclusion that this is my favourite game of all time. I try not to say that without thinking it through but there is so much love put into this title it hurts. You can play it for hours so immersed you will forget there was ever a world to go back to. Everything screams story, gameplay, art, perfection. It's golden. I know it is hard throwing down 200+ dollars on a Persona machine, but now after playing the game twice with 70 something hours. for me it makes sense. I really want you random guy/girl reading this to get this game it deserves to be played. Expand
  85. Feb 27, 2013
    We're now a year into Vita's life-cycle, and Sony has built up a pretty robust library of standout games for it's latest handheld system. Indeed, the likes of Gravity Rush, LittleBigPlanet, Rayman Origins and Uncharted: Golden Abyss have clearly demonstrated the massive potential that Vita promises. While upcoming titles such as Killzone: Mercenary, Soul Sacrifice and Tearaway, look set to only build on the foundations laid down by those great games. And now, three months later than our North American friends, Persona 4: Golden has finally arrived on European shores. And boy was it worth the wait. Altus' sublime J-RPG blows every one of those previously mentioned titles clean out of the water, staking it's claim as Vita's finest game to date in the process. With a ton of user reviews here on Metacritic already, I won't bore you by going into all the why's and wherefore's, but I will say this: don't waste any more precious time, just get yourself down to your nearest game retailer and grab yourself a copy of Persona 4 Golden today (or, if your memory card can handle it's hefty 3.2GB filesize, maybe even download it directly from the SCEE digital store like I did). So what are you waiting for? What's that, not got a Vita? Get one! This is the best excuse yet to get a Vita, and it's first true system seller. And it's an absolute belter! 10 out of 10 all day long. Expand
  86. Feb 25, 2013
    This Game is a masterpiece classic, from the amazing story that contains (psychology, philosophy, etc.) and grateful gameplay with sometime tedious mechanics for learn on how to use it, this game is flawless. I easily recommend this game to anyone that like RPG'S and adult games like Catherine (from the persona team), Virtual escape: last reward, Heavy Rain.
  87. Feb 22, 2013
    I haven't played the original game but hearing how much praise it got I bought this game (At a very high price in my country) and it still doesn't feel like I wasted any kind of money, this game not only was good, it sets the definition of good! This is one of the best games I've played in my entire life and, at the moment, is my number 1 favorite game.

It has unique concept, it
    involves supernatural activity (That might not be a plus for you but for me it is!), The characters are charismatic and interesting in many levels, the aesthetic design looks cool and the HD uplift makes it virtually ageless, the story is interesting, gives you emotional weight and most importantly for a game narrative the events are driven by the actions of the main character controlled by the PLAYER! something many JRPGs and indeed many games in general ignore.

And it's addictive too, collecting personas, finishing quests, developing relationships, and a large ETC. makes this a game not only to replay once or twice. It's the sort of thing meant to be conserved until Armageddon strikes!
  88. Feb 21, 2013
    When I heard a kickass RPG was coming to the Vita I was ecstatic, especially since it is an area that needed filling in the Vita's library. I watched reviews, felt the buzz of the USA and of the Japanese audience; then finally I gave in and imported it and this is my review of the game. Will it be Golden or will it be the coal in your stockings?

The Verdict: Persona 4 Golden takes one
    of the best RPG's of all time and makes it even better, adding hours of bonus content for the player to enjoy. This is a highly recommended purchase and is one of the most enjoyable games of the last year. It is definitely worth buying for those dedicated Vita owners. Over 80 90 hours for the first play through of the game, which is great for those who search for longevity in a game, but it might be daunting to those who wish to sink in less hours as the game has a quite slow start. Interesting Combat that keeps your mind constantly thinking of how to stratergise. School life has never been so fun Great Voice acting, Witty Dialogue and effective social links and stories. Addictive, be sure you haven't forgotten to go to work or school
    ! Not enough explanation of the fusion system for beginners Great, catchy tunes to nod along with as you play GAME STATUS: MUST BUY Game Score: 10/10 GOLDEN
  89. Feb 21, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is a great slice of Japanese culture brought right to you in handheld form. It has all the elements necessary to create a great rpg experience, and enough charisma and charm to create a story that is driving and addictive. Beauty comes in simplicity, and Persona 4 capitalizes on this notion in almost every aspect. It's hard for me to give any game, let alone a great one like this, a 10 rating (especially since it is a port of a PS2 game). That's no excuse to overlook this title though, or you will sorely miss out. A fair warning to gamers though this game develops very slowly, and while it is likely that you will get sucked into the story if you are an impatient gamer you may lose interest fairly quickly. Persona 4 keeps things sweet and simple, so if you are looking for an action based rpg you may have better luck checking out Ragnarok Odyssey. A great piece of gaming though, and a fine addition to any PS Vita collection. Expand
  90. Feb 16, 2013
    WOW!! How does Atlus make a remastered remake better than the original game which was already great. I completely stunned by how good this remake is, it's definitely a must own to any Vita owners. I've always been a fan of the persona series, especially starting from persona 2. Not only does this game meets the hype but somehow significantly surpasses my expectations.
    - Gameplay The
    gameplay mechanics are still the same as the original but Atlus added a couple of new functions to deepen the experience. They added 2 new difficulties (Very Easy and Very Hard) and have the option to change the rules and settings of it once you beaten the game. They added more rewards for doing social links with others especially with your teammates because they give you social link skills if you hit a certain rank. And Atlus added two new social links into the game, Marie and Adachi, both of which are interesting and have an interesting conclusion. Because of social link skills and abilities Rise is a lot more useful in this one than the original. She was only used for scanning, treasure location, and enemy locations but now she can protect you from fatal blows (once every battle), heal your HP and SP, gives you stat buffs, and can charge you up. There were lots of times when I shouted in happiness when Rise saved my butt. There are so much things to say about this game but I don't have a lot of spaces to write all of it. 10/10
    - Graphics The graphics are HD remastered, the characters are much clearer and nice to looks at. The animation cut scenes gets a HD remaster and they added new cut scenes with the new events. The visuals are a lot more colourful and pretty to look at (sometimes too colourful 10/10
    -Story The story is basically the same as the original except you get more events, two new endings, and two new characters. The story was always a hit and miss for me but it's the characters that really makes love the game. I actually felt like I was the main protagonist and the friends were believable and likeable too. 9/10
    - Sound The music is always catchy and upbeat as ever! And they also added new music which in my surprised made the game even more epic and enjoyable to play. The new Teddie voice actor did a great job in sounding like the original Teddie. Now the new Chie voice actor is a pass for me... just a pass (if I had to give her a score it would be 5/10) I mean sure she sounds like an annoying brat. The voice isn't actually bad, just badly timed voice acting. Though I do prefer the old Chie since that was the one I heard first. 10/10
    - Lasting Appeal It was GREAT!!! TV listing was a great addition, new events, gardening, the extra two months of free time, the funny 8-bit boss theme, and many more. I felt completely satisfied with the remake. 10/10 Of course this game isn't perfect and it is definitely has a few bugs but the goods significantly outweighs the bad points. It's actually one of the biggest reason I bought a Vita other than Gravity Rush. I would totally recommended it to anyone who is a fan of JRPG, Character-driven story, and who loves anime.
  91. Feb 10, 2013
    Unarguably one of the best JRPGs ever, Persona 4 Golden is a must buy game for both JRPG fans and for Vita owners. The story is compelling, the characters are endearing and believable, and the soundtrack is simply amazing as well. The gameplay consists of two sections; the school/social simulator and the dungeon crawling RPG segments. The battle system is intuitive and fun, and by the time you get fed with all the fighting, the school simulator acts as a nice change of pace, while adding more depth to each and everyone of the characters. There is also a lot of content in this game, ranging from a quiz show mini-game to videos of Persona soundtrack concerts. Lots of things have been added to the game as well including new cut-scenes, new events, new social links, and a few more. The story is very engaging and features some of the best voice acting in gaming, which is good as there are a lot of talking in this game. The only gripe I have is that the story wasn't as epic as Persona 3 in my opinion, but the characters are much more fleshed out and there are more numerous plot twists to keep people hooked too. A great game all in all with lots of extra content to keep many satisfied, this game is truly golden in every aspect. Expand
  92. Jan 28, 2013
    Persona 4 is a great game, which completely shows how the Vita is the perfect place for a console-style experience on the go. With great story, characters and voice acting, and a fluid combat system, Persona 4: Golden is one of the best JRPGs I've ever played.
  93. Jan 28, 2013
    Everything is so right about this game. Solid gameplay mechanics, good visuals and an incredible cast of vibrant characters. This game was the reason I bought a Vita.
  94. Jan 26, 2013
    The best vita game.Great gameplay,graphics and a lot of things to do.A must buy for everyone how has or wants to buy a vita. Everything about this game is perfection.
  95. Jan 25, 2013
    If I could give it an 11 out of 10 I would. I rarely beat games that have more than 50 hours of game play, I beat this one twice totaling 150 hours. The story was fun, the game play was well done (I did play it one step above "normal though") and the choices you make actually did matter.
  96. Jan 25, 2013
    I can't name one game other than Persona 4 that has made me go out and buy a new console. I first played Persona 3 Portable on my PSP and instantly fell in love with the gameplay. After 250+ hours of playing P3P, I wanted a new Persona experience. This led to my discovery of Persona 4 Golden and its exclusivity on the PSVita. The story line has a much lighter tone than P3 but it still enjoyable. The gameplay has remained intact as there is sort of 2 games in 1. 1 aspect of the game is Persona itself where you and your team go through dungeons fighting monster in a turn-based manner. The other aspect is a sort of sim-like game where you have ti manage your time between your friends and school life. This leads to a unique style of game. I did play Persona 4 on a emulator before buying the game on the PSVita and have to say that they did a considerable amount to the port. You have 2 new social links, a garden, a SOS feature (which to be honest makes the game easier and in my opinion more enjoyable), new cutscenes, and a brand new trips you can experience. For the most part they have taken Persona 4 which is considered one of the greatest games of all time and even made it better. However one major complaint I have is the new voice actor for Chie. The new voice actor sounds nasally and whiny. If you are Persona fan, rpg fan, or looking for a new gaming experience I would definitely buy this game. Expand
  97. Jan 18, 2013
    Amazing game, my first JRPG and I could not put my vita down for weeks after purchasing this game. Over forty hours of gameplay at least, and every second was excellent. I most likely will dive back into New Game + mode in the next few days.
  98. Jan 18, 2013
    This is the best RPG i have played in a very long time. If you do not play this you are truly missing out, this game brings RPG's back to old school turn based fighting system while incorporating decision making to influence the story much like in Dragons age or The Elder scrolls Games. It is sure to quickly make its way into your heart as one of the best games you ever play with its dark story telling and adult situations. I give this game a 9.8 out of 10. :) Expand
  99. Jan 17, 2013
    This game is amazing ever heard a till a week ago. I though all JRPG was stupid with crazy cheesy stories and boring gameplay but not Persona 4 I played 12 hours of it and I can't stop. Simply the better game on the vita, no the better game on anything handheld period. If this game was $100 I still buy it. It's awesome a 100 hours game and a new game plus with a different ending my game favorite game of all time. The 14 people who dislike this game on metacritic I going to slap you all cross your **** ass head Expand
  100. Jan 17, 2013
    Unfortunately much easier than the original. Part of the fun of the original game was the difficulty of the major bosses and especially the final boss. This game managed to make it even easier to level up and dominate every single boss. I loved overwhelmingly the new additions to the game, but not a lowering of the difficulty.
  101. Apr 15, 2013

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]