Persona 4 Golden PlayStation Vita

• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.2

1. Feb 9, 2016
    This review is going to be short as this game has already been reviewed a lot and gotten praise everywhere.

Persona 4 Golden is a port of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 for the ps2, with a lot of upgrades and changes. One of the major additions is a new character, Marie, and a side story to go with her, as well new Social Links for her and Adachi. Overall Persona 4 was and is a great

Overall Persona 4 was and is a great game, and Persona 4 Golden makes it even better, and portable as well. With a great story involving unforgettable characters solving a murder mystery that spans two different worlds, and with many different personas to use in battle and fuse together, this game is arguably the best on the vita when it came out, and even in 2015-2016.

Persona 4 Golden deserves a 9.5 at least, if you enjoy JRPGs and stories with memorable characters. This is of course THE game to buy if you purchase a vita, and you will not regret that decision.
  2. Jan 26, 2016
    I loved this game on ps2 years ago when it came out- finally giving it another go on Vita now, and it's a rare time where I think I appreciate the game even more now than I did then.

Graphically beautiful, the music is unique and well themed. Overall- unique fits the game, but it's also very accessible. To simplify it- P4G mixes dungeon crawling and a social school life game. The

Graphically beautiful, the music is unique and well themed.

Overall- unique fits the game, but it's also very accessible.

To simplify it- P4G mixes dungeon crawling and a social school life game. The key here is how well it is done- with everything interlocking and what you do in both aspects benefiting the other. Managing your social life well increases your abilities in the dungeon- being skilled at clearing the dungeon quickly gives you more time to pursue your social life.

Of course, many small things were added after the ps2 version that help fill up an already very complete game with great replay value. This is one of the best RPGs ever made.
  3. Jan 23, 2016
    This is just incredible. Amazing story, amazing gameplay, amazing music, really good graphic. What do you want more? This game is perfect or almost perfect in everything. The game is too much enjoyable, it won't let you leave for long. Even this is just english version for west, this dubbing is amazing and best I have seen in games so far. Persona 4 Golden is just... wow! For every RPG fanThis is just incredible. Amazing story, amazing gameplay, amazing music, really good graphic. What do you want more? This game is perfect or almost perfect in everything. The game is too much enjoyable, it won't let you leave for long. Even this is just english version for west, this dubbing is amazing and best I have seen in games so far. Persona 4 Golden is just... wow! For every RPG fan this should be must and even for people who usually don't like this genre I can say this will change you opinion on RPGs! The best PS VITA game! Expand
  4. Jan 1, 2016
    I can't believe how insanely good this game is! The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, there is not alot of game with vocal music for normal battle theme! This game in my opinion has the best cast of character of all time, you will like them all! I was really sad when the game ended, i stated a new game immediately, when i finished the game the first time, i have over 300 hours overI can't believe how insanely good this game is! The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, there is not alot of game with vocal music for normal battle theme! This game in my opinion has the best cast of character of all time, you will like them all! I was really sad when the game ended, i stated a new game immediately, when i finished the game the first time, i have over 300 hours over multiple playthough, this game has so much dialogue, every time you start a new game it still feel fresh! Everyone that play this game should try to avoid spoiler at all cost! What a fantastic game, easily my favorite game of all time with SO4. Expand
  5. Dec 28, 2015
    the game is practically perfect. I love story, game play and setting. I thought its themes were very thought provoking and relateable for everyone. If i had to share a few nit-picks they'd be that some of the voices (especially Chie and Teddie) can get annoying and I think the battle system should have featured more party customization.
  6. Dec 16, 2015
    A fantastic game, held me for many hours, there are several reasons. Great upgrade system, great battle system, great story, great soundtrack, great secondary activities and pastime. Surely, the best game I played on PS Vita.
  7. Nov 14, 2015
    Persona 4 Golden is probably the best game I ever played. This game changed my life, and I have to tell you all why.

First, the graphics. This is the "worst" part of game since it's a game from PS2 with some fixes, but it's impossible to hide the roots of the game. But the artistic design of ALL the Persona and the characters is really, really good. The number of Persona is huge, and the users will be enjoy seeing all the quality of all of them.

Let's continue with the sound. This is probably one of the best section in the game: there are a lot of songs, and the best: all of them are fantastic. The opening, the battle theme, the bosses theme... All are incredible good songs and some of them have lyrics. There is even a music game of Persona 4, so the music is an incredible favorable point.

And now, the gameplay itself. The game it's a year and you have to do normal life like a student... But when you finish your class, you have to rescue people in the TV world. Sounds crazy (and IT'S CRAZY) but the combination of life simulator and RPG is unbelievable. All the 80h of the game you are enjoying, and the hours seem minutes. The social links is the best point of the game: it's a system that indicates the level of a relationship with a friend you have (and, of course, if you get level 10 with a girl, you'll boyfriends!). This system has a lot of importance in the RPG part too. Each social link is an Arcana, and when you fuse a Persona of these Arcana, you will gain more experience than usual.

The plot is really good, and the characters... You will fall in love with them. ALL are amazing and have their own story, and you will see how they developed during the game. The game has a lot of funny moments, but has really sadly moments too. Theses aspects are really balanced, having more funny moments and the beginning and more sadly moments at the end.

A total perfect game that all of you have to play.
  8. Oct 22, 2015
    This game is enthralling and a must have for your PS Vita. The story is ridiculously interesting and you'll be wanting answers straight from the beginning. It's a typical JRPG (may or may not be a positive) with an incredible story. Highly recommended.
  9. Oct 6, 2015
    Hands down one of the best games I have ever played.

Pros:
    Amazing characters
    Amazing story
    Unique gameplay

Cons:
    Grinding can be kind of annoying
    I wish when you died you would keep xp from the start of the current floor
    Game takes awhile to get into
  10. Oct 6, 2015
    This will be an honest review from an adult. I will tell you my three favorite games so you will know my preference.

Atelier Arland triology Danganronpa series Fire Emblem series The good about this game, Music is amazing. Some of the best game music you will hear. Graphics are good,, this is a touched up ps2 game so the expectations should be along those lines. Voice acting

Atelier Arland triology
    Danganronpa series
    Fire Emblem series

The good about this game,

Music is amazing. Some of the best game music you will hear.
    Voice acting is great. The voice actor for chie satanoka was different from the original ps2 title, but i didnt hardly notice a difference and the replacement is just as talented.
    Gameplay is awesome. From dungeon exploring to enhancing social links.
    Story is perhaps the best part of all. Great story with twist and turns. With several humorous moments thrown in.

Forgot to mention above that this game is voice acted almost all the time. I would say 80 percent of the time.

The bad about this game.

This is expected from any rpg so i couldnt take away from the score but the dungeons and enhancing social links does run a bit stale towards the end. Especially if you unlock the extra playable dungeons. My gameplay time was 70 hours when i had finished this game.

Gameplay mechanics,

You control a party of up to 4 characters in the dungeons. You can eventually choose between 7 or 8 characters. Each character has thier unique playstyle. From healer/magic user, to a juggernaut with great attack but low hit. When your not in dungeons, you spend time going to school and spending time with freinds. After school ends in the afternoon, you can spend time with a freind. When you do this, you increase social link ranks which allow you to bonus experience to a persona that you can create. When a social link is maxed, you can create that social links special persona also.

You can create personas by fusing together one of more the personas that you currently have. You can get personas by fighting battles. They can simply be aqquired at the end of battle.

The battle system is composed of finding an enemys weakness and expoiting it for extra damage and a chance for an all out attack. An all out attack is when all 4 party members attack at once for big damage. There are no random encounters, most all fights can be avoided if you wish. Also, there is instant kill in this game, meaning that you can get a gameover screen in the blink of an eye. This wasnt a huge problem in this game and there are items you can obtain to prevent it.

The golden version difference,

Different va for chie
    More animations
    More social links
    Costumes that you can equip in dungeons.
    An extra dungeon

There may be more but thats all i can recall and know of.

There is also a bathing scene with the girls and some costumes show nudity. I obtained a costume that showed part of naotos rear. The bathing scene shows some rear also.

This wraps up this review. Hope it helps.
  11. Sep 13, 2015
    this i probably one of the few RPG's that i've played in my life that that i actually enjoy playing.
    a fun cast of characters, fun dialog, fun gameplay, interesting story.
    pretty much everything you would expect from a good RPG. this game gives me high hopes for Persona 5 to be atleast as good as P4G. i recommend this game for every PS Vita/PSTV owner out there (or the original PS2
    a fun cast of characters, fun dialog, fun gameplay, interesting story.
    pretty much everything you would expect from a good RPG.
    this game gives me high hopes for Persona 5 to be atleast as good as P4G.
    i recommend this game for every PS Vita/PSTV owner out there (or the original PS2 version if you own a PS2/PS3).
  12. Jul 30, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With Persona 4 Golden, Atlas has done the best job a video game creator could ever do. This game is an absolute masterpiece! The attractive, long story is fun to both play and watch through with a very cool plot. It's worth playing through it at least two times because of New Game+ with optional endings, optional bosses and extra cutscenes. They made Persona 4 even better with the Golden version by introducing new ways of battle, a new character and a new ending. This game is the only game ever made that deserves a 5/5, 10/10 or 100/100! Expand
  13. Jul 29, 2015
    I was never big into anime or JRPG's, but after seeing the praise for this game, I decided to pick it up in a recent sale. After getting through the long intro, the game just... opened. I found myself hooked with all the different mechanics, collecting Personas, managing S-Link relationships, doing jobs, attending school, and most of all, crawling through dungeons. Definitely one of my newI was never big into anime or JRPG's, but after seeing the praise for this game, I decided to pick it up in a recent sale. After getting through the long intro, the game just... opened. I found myself hooked with all the different mechanics, collecting Personas, managing S-Link relationships, doing jobs, attending school, and most of all, crawling through dungeons. Definitely one of my new favourite games, I can't put it down. Expand
  14. Jul 8, 2015
    This was my first experience with the Vita and also my first Shin Megami Tensei game. Simply put, I loved it and this might very well be my favorite RPG to date. The silly cast, engaging story, colorful environments, and the amount of things you can do in this 70+ hour adventure make a well deserved 10/10. And if you already played the original on PS2, there's still plenty of fun extras toThis was my first experience with the Vita and also my first Shin Megami Tensei game. Simply put, I loved it and this might very well be my favorite RPG to date. The silly cast, engaging story, colorful environments, and the amount of things you can do in this 70+ hour adventure make a well deserved 10/10. And if you already played the original on PS2, there's still plenty of fun extras to make it worth another visit. Expand
  15. Jul 2, 2015
    One of the best JRPGs to grace into humanity's hands, I'd say. Atlus does its job with near-perfection - again. It's not a perfect game, but almost all of the aspects (music, characters, gameplay itself) are just so well done and polished that it's hard to find any negatives. If you could only get one game for the PS VITA, I'd definitely say this is the right game to get, even if youOne of the best JRPGs to grace into humanity's hands, I'd say. Atlus does its job with near-perfection - again. It's not a perfect game, but almost all of the aspects (music, characters, gameplay itself) are just so well done and polished that it's hard to find any negatives. If you could only get one game for the PS VITA, I'd definitely say this is the right game to get, even if you aren't a fan of anime or RPGs! If you want to know a few examples of why this game isn't perfect, I guess the thing would be that the graphics aren't 100% perfect (which I don't really care about, but you may...), and that the balance between battling in dungeons and hanging out with friends and etc. isn't that solid. On the other hand, everything else about it is wonderful! Please, take some time and play this game!

Gameplay: 10/10
    Story: 8.5/10
    Music: 9.5/10
    Presentation: 9.5/10
    Length/PostGame: 9.5/10
    Overall: 9.5/10
  16. Jun 10, 2015
    This was my first SMT game, it took me about two months to get into as I had been playing it on and off but once I really sat down and treatd it like a console game instead of a mobile game(most vita games are console games) I got sucked into the world of iniba and it changed my perception of what JRPG's were and what turn based combat is
  17. Jun 4, 2015
    This game has an amazing story,great dialogue,awesome battle system and is a JRPG out of the JRPG genre to me since you will also simulate a Japanese high school life and overall a must play game even if you are not a JRPG fan,since you will spend a lot of time on this masterpiece of a re-release
  18. May 20, 2015
    one of the best JRPG all the time for me the AMAZING gameplay system the story and the soundtracks the interfaces everything is perfect about this game i just loved it that much i highly recommend it for jrpg fans its a MUST
  19. May 2, 2015
    This is hands down my favorite game of all time. It's not so much a game as an actual experience that just does a fantastic job of immersing you into its world, its characters, the story, everything. In the 95 hours it took me to finish it, I laughed, I cried, felt like a badass, summoned Helel, Satan, and Odin all in awesome, epic battles. There isn't really anything that I can find wrongThis is hands down my favorite game of all time. It's not so much a game as an actual experience that just does a fantastic job of immersing you into its world, its characters, the story, everything. In the 95 hours it took me to finish it, I laughed, I cried, felt like a badass, summoned Helel, Satan, and Odin all in awesome, epic battles. There isn't really anything that I can find wrong about this game. Everything from the story, characters, gameplay, and music is just fantastic. You owe it to yourself to play this game. Expand
  20. Apr 18, 2015
    This is what a HD remake/port should be.

P4G offers everything that P4 did but adds and improves on it. The HD visuals are just gorgeous. The gameplay is even better this time around as they have made a few tweaks that are clearly done in response to P4 fan feedback. The additional characters and events do feel a little disjointed from the narrative, they are still a welcome
    This is what a HD remake/port should be.

P4G offers everything that P4 did but adds and improves on it.

The additional characters and events do feel a little disjointed from the narrative, they are still a welcome addition.

There's not much else I can say that wasn't already said in my P4 review.

Overall:
    Persona 4 Golden is officially my favorite game (at time of writing this.) It is well worth buying PS Vita just for this game. To date, this is the only game I will score a perfect 10, since from my point of view, this game is perfect.

Side Note:
    Why this version of P4G has not gotten a PS3/PS4 port is beyond me. I know that I, and countless others, would buy it again in a heartbeat.
  21. Feb 26, 2015
    This was a good and game on the PS2, and now this is a great game on the PS Vita, perhaps the best game so far on the PS Vita. Playing this game is like reading a long and interesting book. Many interesting interactions with the characters and a very interesting case to solve. The game has many stuff to do, to keep you interested the whole gameplay. This game has opened my eyes that JRPGThis was a good and game on the PS2, and now this is a great game on the PS Vita, perhaps the best game so far on the PS Vita. Playing this game is like reading a long and interesting book. Many interesting interactions with the characters and a very interesting case to solve. The game has many stuff to do, to keep you interested the whole gameplay. This game has opened my eyes that JRPG is still growing strong. This is not a game for people who dislike reading though, for this game has many words. Expand
  22. Feb 22, 2015
    Persona 4 is the epitome of a game gone 'perfect.' It bears no flaws, and shows no sign of incompetency; it reeks of polish. This is no more evident than in the game's fantastic presentation. Menu's sparkle, character-art pops and the music fits each mood perfectly. The gameplay is split into two separate parts, combat and socializing. During most months a schoolmate of yours will bePersona 4 is the epitome of a game gone 'perfect.' It bears no flaws, and shows no sign of incompetency; it reeks of polish. This is no more evident than in the game's fantastic presentation. Menu's sparkle, character-art pops and the music fits each mood perfectly. The gameplay is split into two separate parts, combat and socializing. During most months a schoolmate of yours will be kidnapped and thrown into a mysterious TV world and it will be your responsibility to head into the TV world and rescue them. Inside you will battle hideous creatures known as 'shadows' the rejected emotions we all carry within ourselves personified. The combat's surface-level simplicity actually makes the overall experience much deeper and more strategic. There are clearly layed out attacks, and very few complications. (Fire-attack, wind-attack, physical-attack,) but that means that instead of focusing on move-advantage during combat you focus on the general strategies at play. It's up to you to decide on how you want each battle to play out, since almost all enemies in the game can be killed near instantly most well placed attacks will do it. But since you too can die near instantaneously it can often be a difficult decision between deciding whether or not you want to go all in and rush a battle and risk a misstep and getting hammered, or playing it safe and risk drawing the battle on for far too long. The game is merciless, which is made no more evident than in the boss fights, where it feels like more of a game of 'how many walls can I put between my enemy and me?' It's a well thought out survival. The second portion of the game comes in these 'socializing' sections. The game has a heavy theme based around friendship, and it is the bonds you forge with others that make you more powerful. This may seem like a cheesy idea but it's handled with such maturity and such depth that it feels more than just your typical 'friendship is magic' type trope. So when you're not battling shadows, you're usually trying to power up your social-links by spending time with your friends. Each time a schoolmate of yours is kidnapped you only have a limited amount of time to save them, and it's completely up to you on how to spend that time. Preparation is key, but so is relaxation. One day you may be training, than buying equipment, hanging out with friends... and then another day you might be fishing or gardening for life-saving vegetables. The story is expertly written, with likable characters, an interesting villain and a massive array of plot-twists and subtle themes including a particularly interesting conflict of ideologies near the end. I won't spoil any of it for you here though. All and all, everything looks nice, plays nice and sounds nice with the voice acting being a major highlight of the game. If you don't like RPGs, Persona is certainly not going to change your mind on that. It really is a typical turn-based rpg at its heart, but the surrounding elements are what make it flawless. Persona 4 Golden is certainly deserving of a perfect score; just, do yourself a favour and watch neither of the anime adaptions. They're terrible. Expand
  23. Jan 21, 2015
    really great game. It's a fun but hard game. Even on normal you can die a lot. The story is great and the s link mini story is great s links not only for story some s links can give you more experience when fusing a persona. character s links can make it so they can help a downed ally or get rid of a status aliment or even block a mortal blow for you. the mini s link story are also greatreally great game. It's a fun but hard game. Even on normal you can die a lot. The story is great and the s link mini story is great s links not only for story some s links can give you more experience when fusing a persona. character s links can make it so they can help a downed ally or get rid of a status aliment or even block a mortal blow for you. the mini s link story are also great really giving the characters depth and character development without pushing the story on you. Combat is also good with the weakness system found in most shin megami games. gives more depth and makes sure you don't keep rapidly press x even weaker foes still require some strategy and it makes blocking really useful sine it can take a lot of damage and makes sure you don't get exploited for weakness. Fusing personas is also addicting and you can spend a lot of time in there. So my conclusion for this game is that it's a great game and anyone who just got a ps vita and loves anime and manga go get this game but for most of you who own a ps vita for a long time, you've already gotten the game and beaten it. Expand
  24. Dec 29, 2014
    with Persona u can never worry about the experience going down it will always be better because each new franchise they add more features and listen to what really annoy the gamers and delete it.

I"m sure that every JRPG gamer will love it, because the gameplay is really cool,Fun and easy with a huge selection of powers and magic attacks they give u the choice to make the best team

with a huge selection of powers and magic attacks they give u the choice to make the best team that suit ur style .
    the game has multiple endings based on your choices which is cool because u make ur own story
  25. Dec 24, 2014
    I've heard so many great things about the Persona series from my friends at school and I've never played a Persona game myself but needed a new PS Vita game to play so I was like "Why not give Persona 4 Golden a Try?". I spent only $20 at Gamestop and I think it was well worth it to buy. Anyways, the animations are absolutely beautiful and stunning. I do admit that you do have to play forI've heard so many great things about the Persona series from my friends at school and I've never played a Persona game myself but needed a new PS Vita game to play so I was like "Why not give Persona 4 Golden a Try?". I spent only $20 at Gamestop and I think it was well worth it to buy. Anyways, the animations are absolutely beautiful and stunning. I do admit that you do have to play for a while to get to certain save points but it gives you enough to take breaks when you're not playing the game. What got me hooked into this game was that you can build relationships with other people and you can have them as teammates when you battle. The battle system is set up like a Final Fantasy game sort of thing. The cutscenes are pretty long but the plot will keep you hooked on to the game. I played three hours of gameplay and it didn't even feel like three hours. The game itself I heard is about 60+ hours which is longer than a lot of PS Vita games out there and it will keep you occupied if you have nothing to do. So if you need a new PS Vita game with an intriguing storyline, awesome gameplay and a nice battle system I highly recommend this game. Expand
  26. Dec 3, 2014
    Wish I could give it a 9.8.

Amazing cast, Amazing visuals, Amazing story, Amazing writing and character development just overall amazing.

I did feel some of the grinding however and no classic form of entertainment should feel like work at any point.
  27. Nov 25, 2014
    Took me 100 hours to finish and my only criticism is that it isn't long enough. It's worth buying a vita for and I'm not even a RPG fan, never mind JRPGs.
  28. Nov 20, 2014
    Best JRPG off all time perfect characters and story...................................................................................................
  29. Nov 12, 2014
    This game, without a doubt, is one of the best games I have ever played. The lenght of the game is extensive. The music is well crafted and uniqu to the game. The battle system is smooth and engaging. Where this game truely shines is in the voice acting and character development. Persona 4 Golden has the player (or at least me) truely caring and feeling for the various characters. TheThis game, without a doubt, is one of the best games I have ever played. The lenght of the game is extensive. The music is well crafted and uniqu to the game. The battle system is smooth and engaging. Where this game truely shines is in the voice acting and character development. Persona 4 Golden has the player (or at least me) truely caring and feeling for the various characters. The characters can be funny, dramatic, annoying, persistent and a vast arrary of other qualities. The development team produced well rounded protagonists with quite a bit of depth. Everything about this game shines and it deserves to be played. ATLUS is a company that has been producing quality and this is a fine example. Enjoy. Expand
  30. Nov 6, 2014
    This is hereby my favorite game on the PS VITA, the story is amazing, the characters are well done and the RPG elements are well implemented. It has all the elements from Persona 4, more events and an extra character. I have played this game start to finish 5 times already..... Yeah, its that good.
  31. Sep 16, 2014
    Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likreMore like morePlzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likreMore like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre More like more likre Expand
  32. Sep 11, 2014
    One of the very few games which I give a perfect score to, Persona 4 Golden has made it onto my list of all time favorite games, a list which is usually only dominated by nostalgia! The Vita version of this classic PS2 jRPG includes a new "true" ending to the story as well as a new "bad" ending, an updated soundtrack, and new social links. The game itself plays like a detective RPG. Set inOne of the very few games which I give a perfect score to, Persona 4 Golden has made it onto my list of all time favorite games, a list which is usually only dominated by nostalgia! The Vita version of this classic PS2 jRPG includes a new "true" ending to the story as well as a new "bad" ending, an updated soundtrack, and new social links. The game itself plays like a detective RPG. Set in the small town of Inaba, the player goes through a year making friends and investigating a string of murder cases which upset the tranquility of your new town. The gameplay sports an intuitive turn based battle system where your relationship to your fellow party members can determine the actions they may take in battle. The tried and true turn-based gameplay which jRPGs are so famous for is enhanced through the amazing vocal soundtrack which seems to bounce in beat with your party and keep even the most mundane of fights feeling exciting. In the game you can collect various "Personas" which level up and learn new moves as they progress. Fusion of these personas is also extremely handy to create powerful new personas and give you and your allies a wide range of tactics to employ. The story in the game is absolutely top notch, from each ending and each social link you gather an extremely in depth and developed view of each of the many major characters in the game. The mystery keeps you guessing who the killer is, and the social aspects of the game allow you to become extremely connected to the various characters who all have their share of very human character flaws. When not dungeon crawling, you are able to control the daily life of the main character and choose your path through Inaba. From when to complete homework, where you want to work as a part time job, and even if you feel like going to bed early, there are plenty of options which the game offers. Persona 4 Golden is an experience I won't soon forget, the title lends credence to the quality of the game. It is quite Golden, and as such deserves a 10/10 Expand
  33. Sep 9, 2014
    One of the best if not the best RPG of all time. The characters, npcs and setting is unmatched. The story is a believable masterpiece with lot of plot twists and multiple endings. All characters fell alive and have their own stories / personalities. The game-play is a mixture of rpg and daily live sim. Your decisions matter. You can make friends (= gain additional / better abilities), workOne of the best if not the best RPG of all time. The characters, npcs and setting is unmatched. The story is a believable masterpiece with lot of plot twists and multiple endings. All characters fell alive and have their own stories / personalities. The game-play is a mixture of rpg and daily live sim. Your decisions matter. You can make friends (= gain additional / better abilities), work (= make money), learn for school (better exam results) and much more. Except for some events it is totally up to you. For me this game alone is a reason to buy a vita. Expand
  34. Aug 24, 2014
    To define the word perfection and the idea of a perfect game would be simply PERSONA 4 GOLDEN. I had always looked down upon JRPGs and never understood their appeal even though I watch anime and read manga. I finally took the chance of buying a vita just for this game and would like to say that this has blown me away. This has imo the best characters ever in any video game, I am truly inTo define the word perfection and the idea of a perfect game would be simply PERSONA 4 GOLDEN. I had always looked down upon JRPGs and never understood their appeal even though I watch anime and read manga. I finally took the chance of buying a vita just for this game and would like to say that this has blown me away. This has imo the best characters ever in any video game, I am truly in love and would have to admit that I was in tears when the game ended.
    English voice acting is also perfect (maybe minus Teddie) and the humour is amazing. I have since bought the DVD's, the art-book and also the ps3 once again so I can play the other Persona games. 70+ hours in one week, beautiful game and would love to thank Atlus for introducing me to this genre.
  35. Aug 18, 2014
    This is by far the 2nd best game i have ever played(best being Jet Set Radio) i had never played an ATLUS game before i played Persona 4 Golden. i never thought going through high school would be so much fun. the characters all had amazing back stories, and Persona 4 Golden teaches you alot about life, people and just emotions in general. its one of the few games that was able to bring aThis is by far the 2nd best game i have ever played(best being Jet Set Radio) i had never played an ATLUS game before i played Persona 4 Golden. i never thought going through high school would be so much fun. the characters all had amazing back stories, and Persona 4 Golden teaches you alot about life, people and just emotions in general. its one of the few games that was able to bring a tear to my eye, and the only story id say was better was that of the anime Clannad. Collapse
  36. Jul 25, 2014
    One of the greatest RPGs of all time. As you get lost in its intriguing plot, you will try to balance the silent protagonist's social life with challenging dungeon crawling. Polished gameplay, colourful characters and a wonderful soundtrack make this an unforgettable experience.
  37. Jul 24, 2014
    I'm usually not one for JRPGS. I'm terrible at micromanaging and have a tendency to not see a 60 hour campaign to its entirety. That being said, Persona 4 Golden is one of my favorite RPGs ever. I haven't felt this strongly about a group of characters since Mass Effect 2. This game alone is worth buying a Vita for.
  38. Jul 23, 2014
    This is a great game. The story is unpredictable which keeps it interesting as well as the strategic combat. It does a great job getting you invested in all of the characters through their back stories and just hanging out with them. Not many games can make you laugh like this game and then make you this sad too. It definitely lives up to all the hype and exceeded my expectations for it.This is a great game. The story is unpredictable which keeps it interesting as well as the strategic combat. It does a great job getting you invested in all of the characters through their back stories and just hanging out with them. Not many games can make you laugh like this game and then make you this sad too. It definitely lives up to all the hype and exceeded my expectations for it. Highly Recommend!!! Expand
  39. Jul 16, 2014
    A lot of games interest me for a few hours and then ultimately lose me. I never return. P4G has been an exception. 25+ hours into the game and it still feels fresh. Sure, some of the dialogue is hokey and borderline offensive, but the game still has charm. Looking forward to seeing how the story unfolds.
  40. Jul 9, 2014
    10/10 el mejor juego de todos jeje es neta no mames este juego es una vergototota asi de 8 kilometros para dentro de tu cola asi bien gigantesca y venosa y peluda, asi bien brillante vhorreando semen asi cccfffrchfhrfhrcfhr ssacando fuego, no mames comprenlo o pirateenselo sin un unos plebs **** jodidos de mierda pero en serio no se deberian perder esta maravilla, si tienes cancer o sida10/10 el mejor juego de todos jeje es neta no mames este juego es una vergototota asi de 8 kilometros para dentro de tu cola asi bien gigantesca y venosa y peluda, asi bien brillante vhorreando semen asi cccfffrchfhrfhrcfhr ssacando fuego, no mames comprenlo o pirateenselo sin un unos plebs **** jodidos de mierda pero en serio no se deberian perder esta maravilla, si tienes cancer o sida o cualquie rotra enfermedad terminal y ya te vas a morir, jugar este juego es la ultima cosa que debes hacer en tu miserable existencia Expand
  41. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One struggles to put into words the superb quality of this game. Brilliant story full of twist and turns, humorous dialogues, loveable characters that make social links worth maxing out, and strategical RPG gameplay that really makes the player choose their moves carefully all are the ingredients that helped make this game the wonder that it is. Challenge is also there with increasingly difficult boss and enemy battles and with time management in maxing out all social links before a year has been and gone. I have played this game four times over and enjoyed just as much each time, with secrets after the player's first playthrough such as hidden bosses. By far, one of the best games on the PS Vita and definitely one to pick up. Expand
  42. Jun 30, 2014
    Just finished Persona 4 The Golden last night. I must admit that this game is a MASTERPIECE. I'll say it upfront, i'm giving this game a 10/10. I enjoyed the game very much.

The story about a young boy who was sent to live with his uncle in the countryside, Inaba Town. He will have to live there for a year. The first time he arrived, lots of rumor about the midnight channel and people missing. What exactly happened in Inaba & what's our hero role in all of this? Play and find it out.

Plus point:
    - This game has like every aspect to make the game enjoyable. First of all, a strong main story. I mean yeah, you are a high schooler who is a student at days while playing the role of a guy who can summon persona and whack the ass of Shadows? That's pretty much cool. And not just that, we got lines of strong supporting characters. You could unfold what happened in Inaba, searching for the truth or stop at the false truth, it's all up to you. Because the fate of the story is in your hand.
    - Social links & normal life! Supporting characters are not just supporting characters, you can actually bond with them and get extra side story. Our hero is a high school student, so it's just normal to have activities outside school. You can go on a date, hang out with your friends, find a girlfriend, eat at the restaurant, learn more about your friends, you can do part time jobs, read books, make lunch, etc. This makes the game just real and we can relate it to our life as well.
    - Music! Shoji Meguro is definitely a genius. He writes most of the songs for the Megami Tensei series and yes, this game has addictive music. The battle music, theme song, background music, it's just awesome. It makes you enjoy the game more than ever.
    - Persona 4 The Golden is like a complete edition of Persona 4. At first i thought just some extra scene and a little upgrade. I was wrong. The new shuffle system, extra scene of going skiing, going to beach, festival & stuffs? It's just awesome. New social link like Marie and her true story? That's just awesome. This is my 2nd time playing it and i'm still amazed by the new contents. Costumes, Riding Bike, 3rd Evolution. Epilogue showing how's your friend a year later, & etc. Thumbs up Atlus, just...awesome.

Minus Point:
    - Seriously? None. But if i have to point it out. You can get the "True" True Ending only if you play it the 2nd time. Well, most people would love to play it again. But not for me, uh-uh. I don't like playing the whole game for the 2nd time. But by playing it the 2nd time, that means you can get the other Social Link that you haven't got the first time. Well it's all about perspective though.

After all i REALLY....REALLY recommend you to buy this game if you own a Vita. This game is a masterpiece and you GOT to have this game. 10/10, nuff said & just grab the f*cking game.
  43. Jun 14, 2014
    As a kid, i was hooked on jRPGS like Final fantasy 1-9, Chrono Trigger, Shining force, Breath of Fire etc. At some point, when i finished breath of fire IV (which is awesome, i recommend) i stopped playing jRPGs. They have a feel about them that is too familiar, and more or less, the same. I don't get that feeling with persona. It's new, refreshing and a role-playing aspect of an ROLE PLAYAs a kid, i was hooked on jRPGS like Final fantasy 1-9, Chrono Trigger, Shining force, Breath of Fire etc. At some point, when i finished breath of fire IV (which is awesome, i recommend) i stopped playing jRPGs. They have a feel about them that is too familiar, and more or less, the same. I don't get that feeling with persona. It's new, refreshing and a role-playing aspect of an ROLE PLAY GAME (RPG). Characters are well developed, and that is the accent of the game. Fighting has some cool mechanics, and that is fine too. Game feels like a mix between final fantasy, monster rancher and life simulator. It is weird, i give you that, but it kinda works. It works better than anyone would expect. While today RPGs teach you that you can get ANYTHING you want if you grind long enough, talk to people etc... persona is not like that. It gives you options and it's up to you how you'll play your "cards". Great story, great characters and amazing gameplay on great system. 10/10 Expand
  44. Jun 12, 2014
    A lot of people have asked me if it's worth buying a Vita, and my answer is always another question, 'Do you like JRPGs?" If yes, then Persona 4 Golden is the main reason to buy this system. I had never played a Persona game before, but the hype finally got to me, and I'll admit that I bought the system to play P4G. I have not had a single bit of buyer's remorse, because the game isA lot of people have asked me if it's worth buying a Vita, and my answer is always another question, 'Do you like JRPGs?" If yes, then Persona 4 Golden is the main reason to buy this system. I had never played a Persona game before, but the hype finally got to me, and I'll admit that I bought the system to play P4G. I have not had a single bit of buyer's remorse, because the game is fantastic. A beautiful story with many twists and turns, great fluid gameplay that never feels stiff (here's looking at you, Final Fantasy X...), and characters that will stick with you forever. There's a reason Persona 4 has sparked the most spinoffs, and it's because it's easily one of the best RPGs ever conceived. If you haven't played this game, do yourself a favor and buy it. Truly a game that lives up to the hype. Expand
  45. May 9, 2014
    This game is awesome! I am a big Persona fan and this remake hit the spot. The characters were enjoyable expect for a few people that were just **** The dialogue is brilliant the added character is awesome. The game is a grind fest which can be off putting but if you can look past that i recommend this game to anyone who has a ps vita.
  46. UCA
    May 8, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  47. May 1, 2014
    the 1st reason I bought a PS VITA. Worth my money, time and praise. I love this game and because of that I love my VITA. I wish Atlus Would make a PERSONA exclusive game for vita.
  48. Apr 7, 2014
    one of my all time favorite games! the vita version is by far a huge improvement on the ps2 version, if you haven't played this yet I recommend you do! it's fantastic!
  49. Mar 26, 2014
    I bought this game last month and just got the platinum trophy yesterday, 120+ hours spent. This is the first time I've played Persona franchise and I found it impressive. You are free to take actions almost every day in the game and there are so many things you can do and may want to do. To be honest, exploring dungeons in this game is extremely tedious for me and I don't like the storyI bought this game last month and just got the platinum trophy yesterday, 120+ hours spent. This is the first time I've played Persona franchise and I found it impressive. You are free to take actions almost every day in the game and there are so many things you can do and may want to do. To be honest, exploring dungeons in this game is extremely tedious for me and I don't like the story at early stages which just simply repeats a similar pattern. However, these two "weak points" failed to stop me from completing the game because I had enough fun outside of them. Expand
  50. Mar 26, 2014
    To sum up, P4G is 90% book and 10% gameplay. The writing and characterization is really good, I won't argue that, but as a GAME it is pretty bad. The gameplay consists are very generic and shallow turn based battles with no unique features. That is literally all the gameplay this game contains. Like I said, if all you want is a 100 hour visual novel to simulate the popular high schoolTo sum up, P4G is 90% book and 10% gameplay. The writing and characterization is really good, I won't argue that, but as a GAME it is pretty bad. The gameplay consists are very generic and shallow turn based battles with no unique features. That is literally all the gameplay this game contains. Like I said, if all you want is a 100 hour visual novel to simulate the popular high school experience and go out on dates with virtual girls, go ahead and get this game, but if you want an actual GAME, stay far away. Everything is there to serve the (EXTREMELY predictable plot, I guessed the ending after 10 hours), and honestly, the game is boring. I like books as much as the next guy, but this game is literally a book with some bad combat thrown in. Expand
  51. Mar 20, 2014
    I never had the chance to play P4 on PS2. I first picked up Persona 2 for PSP on Vita and really liked it so i decided to give a go on the others too. So i bought P4G and a new era of JRPG loving started for me. This game is so deep both on a gameplay and a storytelling level that it made me wanna finish it 100% and do everything, a thing that i didn't usually do with JRPGs. It is aI never had the chance to play P4 on PS2. I first picked up Persona 2 for PSP on Vita and really liked it so i decided to give a go on the others too. So i bought P4G and a new era of JRPG loving started for me. This game is so deep both on a gameplay and a storytelling level that it made me wanna finish it 100% and do everything, a thing that i didn't usually do with JRPGs. It is a unique masterpiece among its kind that will be in the top ten games for years to come. Its a must for JRPG and anime fans, so don't hesitate. I cant wait for Persona 5!!!! I hope is as good or better but P4 has set the bar to high. Expand
  52. Mar 12, 2014
    Quite possibly the greatest game I've ever played. Story, characters, music, gameplay are all top notch. The characters are without a doubt the games strongest point. It would be impossible not to get attached. Must own for any PS Vita system.
  53. Mar 3, 2014
    I just want to start off by saying that I really wanted to give this game a 10/10.

Persona 4 Golden (or the original) is a wondrous magical amazing game that every RPG enthusiast should play. There are many perfect aspects about the game, like the endlessly interesting story, the fun combat, the pokemon-like creature collection, the incredible social link system, the gorgeous menus, and the (mostly) beautiful music. I thoroughly enjoyed the themes of searching for truth, and many times I believed the game to be over when a surprising twist to the plot kept me playing for 80+ hours. However, due to a few minor shortcomings and one huge flaw, I could not give this game the score it deserves.

The major problem with this game was the dungeon crawling. The randomly generated, multi-leveled dungeons just aren't fun. Each one has the same design, which involves navigating hallways to find chests and the stairwell to the next level. Unfortunately, after the first dungeon, it just became very repetitive and generic. It felt like a chore more than a pleasure. During the long sessions of the real world, I would actually dread having to go back to the grind. This outdated gameplay should have been redesigned during the initial stages of development.

Other problems with the game range anywhere from many of the vocal-heavy soundtrack music (although this is mostly preference), to the overly-difficult to manage ability system. The latter makes Persona creation less than ideal for creating Personas with preferred abilities.

Some things really aren't very clear either, such as the best ways to utilize the social links, and how to completely advance the story. A little more help would have been nice. Maybe I wouldn't have wasted several dozen days doing useless tasks. Also, I still have no idea how to catch bugs or fish.

Regardless, the game is phenomenal and is currently the best game on Vita by far. 9/10
  54. Mar 2, 2014
    This is THE best game I have ever played. The formula of short days with meaningful activities makes it very addictive. The combat is excellent and spices up the formula of turn based battles with chances to take extra turns when hitting a weak spot of an enemy or dealing critical damage. Excellent presentation and style sells the world. The characters and the various voice actors behindThis is THE best game I have ever played. The formula of short days with meaningful activities makes it very addictive. The combat is excellent and spices up the formula of turn based battles with chances to take extra turns when hitting a weak spot of an enemy or dealing critical damage. Excellent presentation and style sells the world. The characters and the various voice actors behind the voices are excellent with realistic dialogue. They are not just JRPG stereotypes but really do act like kids that age. They can be insensitive and awkward but loveable and kind all at the same time. Dungeons are as quick and as deep as you make them. Over powered and want to skip to the boss. Just keep running as enemies rarely catch up to you. I played it in normal mode and got the true ending plus epilogue and I have to say playing it on a second playthrough was worth it. Love the anime cut scenes and lastly the music, its hard to understand but the tunes are catchy and never get old. I really want a follow up story for these guys. Be it anime or a whole new game or even a manga I will snatch it up. My favourite game ever made.

Buy it!

From a 22 year old gamer ;)
  55. Feb 25, 2014
    This is RPG brilliance. Fantastic gameplay complimented by an intriguing story and characters put together in a beautiful-to-look-at anime style make this easily the the best game available on the Vita to date. It should come with a warning label due to how addictive it can be.
  56. Feb 24, 2014
    **This review is purely from a casual RPG player's point of view**
    **This review is purely from a casual RPG player's point of view**
    Persona 4 Golden is one of the best games I've played so far. Before playing P4G, I wasn't aware of this series and/or did not care to know more about them. The reason I bought persona 4 golden was that the game had many good reviews. I bought this game not knowing that I'll get completely sucked into the series of Shin Megami Tensei universe. If I knew about this game earlier, I'd have bought a vita to play it long time ago. Since I don't dare spoil the wonderful story behind this wonderful game, all I can say is that if you are a big fan of RPG like myself, you're in for a delicious treat. Just be careful with your choices in the game, cause your choices dangerously matters here.
  57. Feb 23, 2014
    How does one even begin to talk about a game so overhyped? That is one of the main words I'd use to describe P4G. So many times I've heard "This is the best Vita game!" that I expected so much of it, it couldn't possibly have held up. Further more, Persona 3 is my favorite game, so Persona 4 would have to try real hard to impress me. Never the less I went in very optimistic about thisHow does one even begin to talk about a game so overhyped? That is one of the main words I'd use to describe P4G. So many times I've heard "This is the best Vita game!" that I expected so much of it, it couldn't possibly have held up. Further more, Persona 3 is my favorite game, so Persona 4 would have to try real hard to impress me. Never the less I went in very optimistic about this game, understanding that it's something different. To sum it all up: too different, at least for me. But on an important note, I want you to know that I haven't let my feelings about Persona 3 get in the way of my honest review about Persona 4 Golden - what follows are my thoughts about the game as a single experience. Comparissons are just mandatory at some points, but bring nothing to my final score, as you will see in my conclusion
    Also, another side note, I can't have people talking about that this is the best Vita game - this is a port of a PS2 game, that got a bit ruined over the porting process. Think about it.
    On a graphical note, the game holds up. Nothing spectacular, but it doesn't need to be. Some of the new designs they went with look stupid, I found myself laughing out loud at them on a couple ocassions, which to me isn't a good sign. Overall on the polish standpoint it stands proudly alongside other entries in the SMT series - extremely polished and nicely stylised. I think the style they chose doesn't fit much, but I'll talk about that later on.
    This game sounds good too. I don't find the OST to be particularly strong, but it's fitting. However it does not manage to escape some stereotypes, though it tries to. But when it uses a stereotypes- it succeeds brilliantly. I have to mention that it has awesome voice work, featuring some of the best actors in the branch. There are some moments of awkward silence in this game that I did not get or like.
    The story of Persona 4 is a weird one in execution, not in content. I have to admit that after the amazing story of Persona 3, I expected this to be strong as or stronger than Persona 3. Persona 4 offers a mix of stereotypical characters (with a few exclusions, to my surprise) with bland origin stories, in favor of offering a more complex, dark and brooding plot. However, it's not as good as it sounds. The plot of the game isn't bad, it is simply badly directed - the game overall favors gameplay over story, which may be your thing - keep in mind that it's not mine. The plot seems nice and complex, but it misses a lot of opportunities to become stronger. The story has it's better moments, though - I got some solid laughs and even some soggy eyes at certain points. But in the end it's still a very slow moving story, that tries to end out with a bang, but ends out feeling rushed. To sum the story up: I found myself pressing the "Skip" button way more often that I thought I was capable of in a game of this caliber.
    To my surprise, however, this game shines on the gameplay standpoint. It offers a lot of activities to do, most of which are very fun and addicting. The main gameplay is very spiced up and not-boring as per usual with JRPGs (in my opinion). There are two major things I didn't like about the gameplay, which for the sake of spoilers, I will sum up into one, spoiler-free sentance: This game gives you NO hints for things it expects you to know and do, and proceeds to punish you for not doing them. To a gamer like me, who likes freedom of choice and rewarding story-driven gameplay, I found the gameplay boxing. A lot of times I said to myself "Immersion broken", because this game often reminded me that it's a game - something I don't want to think about while trying to be a part of the experience. Also, the overall bright presentation of the game ruins it at times too, being unfitting for the plot it tries to sell.
    In conclusion, I think the only reason people are overhyping this game is because it's the only Persona game they've played. Don't let that fool you. But I have something else to say too: I'd rate an 8/10 as a sequel to Persona 3, because as we see in the bigger picture, the two are connected. I'ts not a good sequel. But it's a heck of a standalone 9/10 game. You owe it to yourself to play this game, because even going beyond the statement that it's worse than Persona 3, which I am going off here, I cannot deny the fact that it's a really awesome game that you should not miss. I still say it's not the best Vita game, because it's a PS2 game. I do recommend playing the Vita version, because long games are made for portables, but if you chose to do so - google things carefully, because overhype leads to overexposure, and spoilers are everywhere! Further more, be prepared to spoil some things for yourself intentionally if you want to get the most out of this game (talking about the thing the game expects you to know). Conclusion: Play Persona 3 first, reasons can be found in my Persona 3 review, also P4 is a sequel to P3 none the less.
  58. Feb 16, 2014
    A great addition to the series, the Persona spin-offs are fast becoming more noteworthy than the core SMT titles they are attached to. Golden is a remake of the PS2 classic of the same name, Persona 4. Any newcomers to the series will find 4 a much more forgiving entry to Persona games than 3. With a lighthearted story to contrast well with the darker portions of the plot as well asA great addition to the series, the Persona spin-offs are fast becoming more noteworthy than the core SMT titles they are attached to. Golden is a remake of the PS2 classic of the same name, Persona 4. Any newcomers to the series will find 4 a much more forgiving entry to Persona games than 3. With a lighthearted story to contrast well with the darker portions of the plot as well as gameplay you can feel like you have more control over, Persona 4 and the VITA port P4: Golden makes heavy effort to draw in new players in the series and does it well.

Combat is done turn-based style, with the twist from previous P3 entry in that you can control your allies' attacks and techniques if you so choose. This simple addition makes P4 a much more forgiving title to new players.

The story is engaging, with a strong focus on bonding with characters to help drive your investment in the world. Though it is a direct numerical sequel to the Persona spin-offs and makes a few references to older games, P4 still keeps the story open and accessible to new players.

One of the largest draws to me is since it is a port of a ps2 game, and a long one at that, the game feels sufficiently worth the money to get on the VITA. The biggest gripe I've had in a long time for hand held games lately has been the low playtime. P4 can take a very long time to complete if you allow yourself to get lost in it's depth, particularly with the leveling and social system.

If you have a VITA and wish to play a solid JRPG, then it is difficult for me to see how you can go wrong with P4: Golden.
  59. Feb 1, 2014
    With the brilliant soundtrack, especially ' the almighty ' likeable characters and addicting gameplay persona 4 golden is not only the best game on the Vita its the greatest JRPG ever made IMO.
  60. Feb 1, 2014
    This game is a real systemseller, I truly believe there is no such other game on PS Vita. It's really massive, it has A LOT of top notch made content, there is no point to explain all the advantages of the game, I just say that all Vita owners should buy this game at any cost and all the others should buy PS Vita to play this fantastic game.
  61. ERB
    Jan 23, 2014
    This is the King Of PlayStation Vita games.The game play is fun the story is great and interesting.Persona 4 lives up to the hype we were all expecting and importantly it surpasses the hype.Buy this game now and play it.This game is the number 1 reason to buy a PlayStation Vita.
  62. Jan 20, 2014
    I tried very, very hard to like this game but I just couldn't. Japenese RPGs are my go to genre and this disappointed me, especially with all the fantastic reviews I saw.

It's different than your usual RPG, which is good, but there is too much going on and I never knew how to spend my time "correctly". I wasn't sure when to level for the next dungeon, and if I was under levelled I had to go back in time a week after my game ended.

The battle system was classic and solid but I hated not being able to leave a dungeon to heal. If you do it skips ahead a day which makes it so you can't do other daily things like raising your social links and such.

The story and characters gripped me however. The story and characters you meet are deep and interesting, for the most part.

I will try playing again one day, but be prepared for something very different. Great ideas, but just not for me.
  63. Jan 18, 2014
    Persona 4 Golden is a wonderfully made game that is an actual improvement on the PS2 version. Its the extra details that really win one over such as the new levels, and cut scenes. Worth a second play through at least.
  64. Jan 4, 2014
    Let me get this out of the way:
    1. In the first half I will be discussing the game itself
    2.In the second half I will discuss the deiferences in the Vita port. Part 1! Persona 4 (along with it's Golden version) is the best game I have ever played. I NEVER in my life thought that a video game would engross me so much that I would cry simply because I had finished it. Everything from the
    Let me get this out of the way:
    1. In the first half I will be discussing the game itself
    2.In the second half I will discuss the deiferences in the Vita port.
    Part 1!
    Persona 4 (along with it's Golden version) is the best game I have ever played. I NEVER in my life thought that a video game would engross me so much that I would cry simply because I had finished it. Everything from the controls to the combat system that makes grinding FUN to the art style and the best cast of character ever produced by video games is absolutely, unquestionably, perfect. Persona has a incredibly large cast of characters but still manages to make them all interesting. Even my least favorite character in the game, Rise Kujikawa, is STILL so interesting that she gives Elizabeth and the 2013 Lara Croft a run for their money.The combat system is like a combination of Pokemons monster capturing and weakness exploiting, mixed with Final Fantasies controlling a diverse team aspect. And if you're looking for engaging content, this game has you covered in abundance. From the multiple social links and endings, to dialogue options to questing and dungeon crawling for extras is done absolutely masterfully. Persona 4/Golden is a game that shows us what the medium of gaming has the potential to offer in terms of story telling, because unlike The Last of Us or Beyond Two Souls, it focuses on story and gameplay equally to make something so unimaginably good that it makes even Nintendo's best offerings shiver in fear. If you have a Playstation 2 or Vita and haven't played Persona 4 or Golden, you're missing out on so much it's actually sad.
    Part 2, Golden extras!
    1. Another character you can S.Link by the name of Marie
    2.An extra dungeon
    3. A epilogue taking place three months after you leave
    4.New Game Plus allowing you to play the game again with all stats fro your first playthrough.
    Conclusion
    Persona 4 is a that will probably never be surpassed. So do yourself a favor and spend the best 30 dollars of your life!Rating: 10//10 "Perfect"
  65. Jan 3, 2014
    Persona 4 Golden was my first Persona game and boy was it a good way to start. Persona offers an interesting story with characters that you will bond with and won't forget. Exploring dungeons, can admittedly get a little old, but it still doesn't draw you away from the experience. Persona 4 Golden is a must have if you own a Vita. (Or you can get Persona 4 for the PS2.)
  66. Dec 31, 2013
    Is wort buy a vita just to play this legendary game,an immense amount of activities and a great dungeon crawler that take you like a hundred hours to finish,is amazing if you like jrpg or else you can hate this masterpiece
  67. Dec 27, 2013
    Persona 4 is one of the greatest games I have every played and now, Atlus releases the same game, enhanced, and with 30+ hours of content. I recommend anyone with a interest in RPG and story to buy this game.
  68. Dec 21, 2013
    I rarely give anything a perfect score. But Persona 4 Golden is as close as it gets. The story is fantastic, the characters are brilliantly portrayed and you feel a real connection to them, the voice-acting is pretty much the best I've seen in a videogame, the gameplay is superb, and for a PS2 port the graphics are good. This isn't only something that will appeal to JRPG fans, but to ANYI rarely give anything a perfect score. But Persona 4 Golden is as close as it gets. The story is fantastic, the characters are brilliantly portrayed and you feel a real connection to them, the voice-acting is pretty much the best I've seen in a videogame, the gameplay is superb, and for a PS2 port the graphics are good. This isn't only something that will appeal to JRPG fans, but to ANY gamer out there looking for an amazing experience. Expand
  69. Dec 14, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is a phenomenal game.

The characters are incredible, memorable and amazingly written and voiced. The story carries throughout the 75+ adventure, with some amazing twists and exciting developments. Combat is strategic and challenging... I could rattle on and on about P4G, but I won't. You can see, along with tons of other customers and fans, that P4G is a
    Persona 4 Golden is a phenomenal game.

I could rattle on and on about P4G, but I won't. You can see, along with tons of other customers and fans, that P4G is a masterpiece.

Absolutely a masterpiece.
  70. Nov 21, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is often touted as the greatest (J-)RPG of all time. Is it worthy of that title? Well, that's up to yourself to decide, but I'll try to help making that decision.
    Concerning characters and story, it's a masterpiece. The characters are funny, likeable, and interesting. When you start off and get to know them, one of the biggest reasons to play the game will be to find out more about the people you meet. And thanks to P4's social link system (which is comparable to Fire Emblem's excellent support conversations), you will be able to find out more about their backstories while, at the same time, improving your abilities in combat. For the most part, you will be working towards achieving these social links and building up your "soft skills" through interaction with the people in the town of Inaba. As the game progresses, you get the chance to buy books, visit a city to buy clothes and other stuff by driving on a scooter, write exams in school. All these things, if you choose to do them, will improve your combat abilities or your abilities to fuse Personas, which is an interesting mechanic and adds a lot of depth to the battle system. In a way, one half of Persona 4 plays almost like a life simulator, and this part is the one that will most likely lead you to love this game.
    Talking about the story, it's most comparable to a crime movie mixed with fantasy elements. The murder cases will give you all sorts of leads on who the culprit might be, and you will probably be dieing to find out (that is, if you are anything like me). The story got me extremely hooked while doing my first playthrough.
    Regarding the fighting system: You have the option to control all players in battle, or you can choose to let your friends be controlled by the game while only choosing actions for the main protagonist. Thanks to the Persona system (which is kind of comparable to how Pokémon plays), you have a wide variety of Persona-Attack combinations to fiddle with, adding a lot of depth. This only goes for the main character though, your friends have fixed Personas that gain fixed attacks through leveling up the Persona or the social link. The attacks consist of different types that have different effects on certain monsters (again, think Pokémon). This also means that you will have to figure out a monsters weaknesses and strengths in order to win.
    This all sounds pretty great, and up to this point I would easily give this game the title of "greatest RPG of all", but there is one fatal flaw: the levels themselves. The levels that you traverse are rather bland, and most of them are randomly generated. You will find out that most of these randomly generated "floors" will be very similar to each other, and the only thing reminding you that you are in a different level than before are the textures for the floor and wall.
    All that said, Persona 4 is a great JRPG, and probably one of the best Dating Sims out there. I, for one, rather traverse through Inaba, talking to the people and building social links with my friends than going through the levels, and thanks to the "very easy" difficulty, I can do basically that (you level up extremely fast, meaning no grinding and thus less time to spend in the dungeons). The replayability value of the game is extremely high and you have to play the game at least 3 times to see all it has to offer, but considering the addicting nature of it's life simulation/sim dating part, this will not be a problem, but rather a joy.
    I would give this game a 9.3 if it were possible, but since I can only give natural numbers from 0-10, I'll have to settle for the 9. It is a really good game though, and definitely the best game the Vita has to offer so far. If you own one, go buy this game.
  71. Shi
    Nov 15, 2013
    If you have a Vita and you like JRPG's, Persona 4 Golden is a must have. Solid gameplay, great graphics, beautiful artwork, and an excellent story. Definitely the best enhancement of a game I've ever played.
  72. Nov 6, 2013
    First off, let me just say that this is my favorite video game of all time. The story, atmosphere, characters, music, and voice acting are all nearly perfect. The gameplay itself is fantastic as well; the typical SMT gameplay experience you would expect still shines bright in Persona 4 without being horribly difficult (you'll usually never be stuck in the same place for too long). PersonaFirst off, let me just say that this is my favorite video game of all time. The story, atmosphere, characters, music, and voice acting are all nearly perfect. The gameplay itself is fantastic as well; the typical SMT gameplay experience you would expect still shines bright in Persona 4 without being horribly difficult (you'll usually never be stuck in the same place for too long). Persona 4 Golden also adds much more content to the PS2 original, with new battle mechanics and in-game days, as well as a new character and side-story to go with her. The game is quite long too, around 80 hours with the normal ending, and that's not including the hours you will spend in new game plus.

However, as great as this game is, I can't give it a perfect score because it has a pretty prevalent flaw: its tendency to go too long with the cinematics. Now don't get me wrong; the story is outstanding and can really only be told with excessive conversation, but sometimes it carries on longer than it should. There's literally a straight hour of storytelling before you get into any freedom or dungeon gameplay, and sometimes the game goes long times without any dungeoning. That aside, the game is still excellent and I would recommend it to any fan of JRPG's or visual novels.
  73. Nov 4, 2013
    Possibly one of the best RPGs ever, it outclasses its predecessor in almost everyday with memorable characters and many dungeons to explore, there is always something to do in Inaba. Although the graphics are considered outdated for the current-gen, the gameplay more than makes up for its weakness
  74. Oct 11, 2013
    I like JRPGs but this just wasn't my cup of tea. The game is beautiful and the sound is awesome. But progressing Personas through the social link system made me cringe. The 4 hour tutorial was a little much even though it eased me into the game. But if you like building relationships with people in general you'll have a blast.
  75. Oct 9, 2013
    I don't think anyone can deny that this game looks beautiful on the Vita. Atlus have done an incredible job of porting both of the latest Persona games in the series to handhelds. This game is not simply a cash-in, it is clearly with love that Atlus keep persona in the current gen until we get the next release on the Playstation 4.
  76. Oct 8, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is what i would call, is a game close to perfection (Yes, it is my favorite game of all time)

I have not played any of the early realises nor have i played the original PS2 edition. It was just a coincidence i brought it. I had a PS Vita, which was lacking good games, I saw that P4G got great reviews, and i thought why not? And I don't like playing Turn Based RPGs, i brought it from pure curiosity.

P4G opened my eyes to something new, i now find turn based gameplay more tolerating and I've fallen got an bigger eye open for games and Anime from Japan.

I was laughing with the characters, crying, and i even got true feelings for them. P4G is a emotional rollercoaster that keeps you attached to the characters and the world all the way towards the end.

The Good:
    - Amazing visuals
    - Great voice acting
    - Best writing in gaming history
    - Easy gameplay
    - 100+ Hours of gameplay

The Bad:
    - You lose your life (The real one)

I know this review wont be convincing, but really i beg you to try it out. Its the perfect console seller, so buy a PS Vita just for this game!
  77. Oct 2, 2013
    The storyline people have been raving about...well it's not that great. While it is unique and a different take than the average RPG, which I am very glad for, it's got a lot of boring and infuriating elements to it.

The "heroes" of the story are the least heroic heroes ever. "Eh, let's wait a week to save that guy." "No need to rush in." "Let's stop and discuss this." There's really no men of action on the entire team and it's annoying.

Then there's the high school drama part. If you like those cheesy Japanese anime comedy/dramas, ok then you'll love that. I for one hated it and found it a waste of time.

The gameplay is a mix of a typical turn-based RPG and a Japanese dating sim. So again, if you like Japanese dating sims, amazing game for you...not so much for me. I do like the combat though, the persona system is pretty cool, it's a lot like Devil Summoner (another game by the same people with a better storyline) but in pure old school RPG format.

Voice acting is good, graphics are OK, some of the music is good.

It's a good time-waster, but hardly deserves the overwhelming praise it receives.
  78. Sep 23, 2013
    amazing. just, amazing. not only is the turn based gameplay fun, but the story is deep and engaging as well as the characters. you spend time with them which improves your bond with them which helps you create personas and help in battle.the game has five difficulties, which range from very easy to very hard, and ng+ which lets you customize your difficulty.
  79. Sep 17, 2013
    easily one of the best games on the vita, and a huge improvement over p3p in every sense aspects of the game

the protagonist is not overpowered as he was compared to p3p and the other characters are much more useful in combat

so many hidden secrets and love the social links

it has a lot of replayablility
  80. Sep 13, 2013
    Wow, just wow! Probably the best game of all time! Nothing comes close. Quality surpasses anything I've ever seen. People who dislike this game probably hate JRPG's. Western gaming culture will never come close to this.
  81. Sep 6, 2013
    A superb game if only more developers took inspiration from Atlus. Feels very original and is very immersive with excellent charact design and fun combat. A must on Vita
  82. Aug 24, 2013
    Let me start off be saying that I typically do not care for JRPGs, but this game that I thought might take several months to beat is so deep, so well-voiced and so content-rich that I couldn't put it down, plowing through the whole story (70 hours or so) in just a few weeks.

Any game that can make you excited about reading a book or attending basketball practice must be doing something right. The voice actors are phenomenal. The dungeon-crawling gameplay is challenging but fair (with a few minor but completely unavoidable exceptions). The story can be a little absurd at times, but it is a hell of a lot of fun to work through.

This game is an absolute must-play for anyone, regardless of your preferences. If you have a Vita and haven't played this game yet, you're doing things wrong.
  83. Aug 22, 2013
    Do you have a PSVita, and into JRPGs? If you said yes to both, Then GET IT!
    I just finished it then, but yea, 'don't think', just get it, you won't regret it...
  84. Aug 21, 2013
    This is my first Persona, and my first JRPG (Unless Kingdom Hearts counts).
    This is my first Persona, and my first JRPG (Unless Kingdom Hearts counts).
    The story in this game is much, much deeper than it first appears. It has a whole load of interesting characters, who many of the player makes friends with. The Anime cutscenes look crisp on the Vita's screen, and the remastering of the game is more than an HDing. The extra content isn't tacked on, and is very well integrated into the game, I didn't realise a lot of it wasn't in the last game until I looked it up.
    Personally I find the dungeons to be a bit dull gameplay wise, but I can see why people love it. The social links and general things you can do out side of dungeons is very balanced, and those are my favourite parts of the game.
    Overall, this is one of the best Vita games so far, and I'm quite excited for P5.
  85. Jul 24, 2013
    Oh my god, just completed the gameand i must say, this is by far the best game i've ever played. I have never seen a game with such dedicated and effort put into a title. Every dialog, scene and story is well pieced together and fits perfectly. The character designs are well thought of and never feels out of place.
    Despite being a re-release of the title for a newer console, Atlus has
    Despite being a re-release of the title for a newer console, Atlus has added plenty of new features such as animated cut-scenes and online features that definitely spices things up even for people who have already completed the title before. The game features over 70 hours of gameplay which would keep you entertain for weeks or months to come, with such interesting story, it never gets tiring.
  86. Jul 21, 2013
    The first time I heard about persona 4 was from a friend who watched persona 4 the animation and convinced me to watch it, needless to say I was hooked and when I heard it was based on a game I had to buy it. Getting persona 4 Golden was the best decision I made. This game has to be the best JRPG I have ever played in my life I am hooked. I definitely recommend this for anyone who is into JRPG
  87. Jul 11, 2013
    I never played a Persona before, closest I've got was Devil Survivor Overclocked on the 3DS which wasn't a great hit for me, tbh. But this is dang. Definitely one of the best, if not the very best, J-RPG I've ever played.
  88. Jul 6, 2013
    This game is an experience.
    I have always liked the persona series, and I won't lie, I didn't think this was going to top Persona 3/FES/P3P...
    I was wrong. This game has an intense and engaging storyline that had me hooked, playing this game into the small (and large) hours of the night. I clocked nearly 60 hours on my first playthrough and went back for more. The battle system and
    This game is an experience.
    I was wrong.

The battle system and story are great, but the real surprise comes from the social system. Half of the game is played as a (relativley) normal high schooler filling his days with activities and friends it can get so absorbing and interesting I had marathons of this game where I would go well over five or six hours without fighting anything completely absorbed into the game.

This game is a hands-down must play. If the art and culture style of the game don't seem your type, and you skip this game solely on looks you are missing out in a once-in-a-console-generation experience.

I would go as far as saying this game alone justifies the purchase of a Playstation Vita.
  89. Jul 5, 2013
    Never before have I become so invested in an rpg, everything about this game reeks of style and charm, It is hard to explain the emotional impact of persona 4, that I think is the games greatest strength, if you have any anti-anime bias, its time to get over it, because you are missing out on a true classic...
  90. Jun 29, 2013
    Its a huge STEP UP! after playing persona 3 portable. Its also the deepest series in a franchise I ever played. I hope new fans of the franchise will stick to Atlus and see what news they have to offer.
  91. Jun 28, 2013
    The Persona franchise after 3 has seen re-release after re-release. First it was P3, then P3:FES, then P3P, then P4, now P4G. Every time they release a new one, they become that much closer to perfecting their gameplay formula.

P4 is one of the greatest games of all time, with an incredible story and polish. The Golden improves on this formula once again, by adding a large amount of content, improving the visuals, and slapping it on the vita. If you have a vita, buy this game. Atlus is the best publisher/developer, and they deserve every penny and high metacritic score they receive.
  92. OoD
    Jun 24, 2013
    This game is pure gold. A ton of great new content added onto an already great game, and now its portable. A great storyline and very lovable characters makes this an amazing game. Overall, the reason to own a Vita.
  93. Jun 24, 2013
    This new rendition of a great classic, became the GREATEST one to date. Everything. I mean everything, that I wanted from an RPG game is here. I could never stress out how much I'm astonished by playing this... "thing" (is it a port? is it a remake? I can't describe its uniqueness). By all means, this game is legendary on all levels and attained a better position than its PS2 counterpart.This new rendition of a great classic, became the GREATEST one to date. Everything. I mean everything, that I wanted from an RPG game is here. I could never stress out how much I'm astonished by playing this... "thing" (is it a port? is it a remake? I can't describe its uniqueness). By all means, this game is legendary on all levels and attained a better position than its PS2 counterpart. With all the new features such as the "online mode" stacked into one already-great game, this updated version is worth my every buck. In short, I got more than what I paid for. Expand
  94. Jun 23, 2013
    I heard many good things about Persona 4: Golden but was wary of buying a Vita until the price dropped. Finally I managed to get one $40 off and decided to start with P4G. My history with JRPG's is a mixed bag. I adored the Final Fantasy games up until 8... then the series went downhill for me. There's also Chrono Trigger, the Secret of Mana and various old school JRPG's I could neverI heard many good things about Persona 4: Golden but was wary of buying a Vita until the price dropped. Finally I managed to get one $40 off and decided to start with P4G. My history with JRPG's is a mixed bag. I adored the Final Fantasy games up until 8... then the series went downhill for me. There's also Chrono Trigger, the Secret of Mana and various old school JRPG's I could never get enough of.

Over the last 10 years though JRPG's have really put me off (aside from Lost Odyssey which was a personal favourite) and I always go into them very skeptical now, but Persona 4: Golden has exceeded my expectations.

The game is simply fantastic. It constantly engages you with so much to do, but does so in a way that never really feels like a grind. The story is compelling enough to keep you interesting, and the odd TV dimension has enough wonder to keep it imaginative.

I strongly recommend the PS Vita for this game. I'm about 20 hours in but just in the middle of June (in the Game...) so I know I have lots of game left. This game is worth it.
  95. Jun 20, 2013
    Original was really good,and this version is perfected Persona's franchise gameplay.
    I'm a big fan of Persona series,especially Persona3 which I still play.
    All in all,reason to get PS Vita, gets an 10/10,for it's perfection
  96. Jun 17, 2013
    The only JRPG I've tried was Final Fantasy and I hated it. I was running low on Vita games, so I gave this game a shot.
    This game is superb in all aspects, especially on gameplay. It's so fun and addictive. I've had it just for the weekend and already spent over 7 hours. Graphics is OK, nothing special, but still the game gets a high score from me.

Very recommended for all Vita owners!
  97. Jun 17, 2013
    A compelling story, memorable characters, great soundtrack, combat aimed at exploiting weakness, there isn't much that this game doesn't touch base on, and touch base well, I might add. The high school simulation may be something a lot of gamers don't enjoy, however, how it's delivered to allow for the Social Links and character stats to unlock more is still in my favor. From Persona 3,A compelling story, memorable characters, great soundtrack, combat aimed at exploiting weakness, there isn't much that this game doesn't touch base on, and touch base well, I might add. The high school simulation may be something a lot of gamers don't enjoy, however, how it's delivered to allow for the Social Links and character stats to unlock more is still in my favor. From Persona 3, Persona 4 picked up the pace by fixing things that were less than optimal and delivering a fine product. I can't wait for the 5th installment, however wouldn't be surprised if it never comes as, if they continue to follow how well the games are done, the next one will be impossible to top. Expand
  98. Jun 9, 2013
    This is THE best game on PS Vita. Sure there is Uncharted and MGS collection and stuff, but you can find better versions on PS3. This is THE game that made me not regret buying a PS Vita. I was skeptical before I bought it because I was never a big fan of JRPG, but this game just blew my mind. If you don't have this game, then you don't really own a PS Vita. It's that good.
  99. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Coming from a hardcore Final Fantasy fan, you're immediately comfortable with this game, even if the elements aren't all the same. Its a great game overall and very fun to play but am I the only one slightly annoyed by the fact it took 3 or 4 people in the TV for the group of kids to finally catch on that something wasn't right? Also, whats up with the game only having like 5 songs that play at random throughout the game. I thought the tracks were overall pretty great even with the singer's broken english/accent but i swear if i hear "Heartbreak, Heartbeat you tell me goo-bye" one more time i'm going to go nuts. LOL, other than that its a solid game, I would definitely recommend it to any JRPG fan. Expand
  100. Jun 4, 2013
    It is very strange to see such a perfect game in JRPG genre today. It is not a secret, that japanese gaming is already dead, because of the games that look outdated, have a bad outdated gameplay and poor gamedesign. Times of Final Fantasy and Xenogears had passed long long time ago.
    In the PS2 era, ATLUS was the last japanese developer, that made really new thrilling RPG's. Persona 3, SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, those titles were amazing, brining the modern and mature JRPG formula to the gamer.
    But at the end they failed. Releasing P4 on PS2 was a horrible mistake. Only 80 000 copies where sold, and thousands of gamers (exept fans) missed one of the greatest jrpg's of a decade.

Re-releasing it was a right step. Re-releasing it on a portable device was even better.

Now we have a great game on the go. there is no way to judge the gameplay formula of Persona 4. It is very peculiar.
    Characters are interesting and deep, dialogues are polished. This are not the things modern japanese games are made of.

Persona 4 is not the best in visuals. But graphics are nice, and overwhelming gamedesign does the rest.

The game became better, bigger, and got in the palm of your hand

Bravo ATLUS. We hope that it is not the last time. Looking forward for more installations in Persona franchise, modern, cool, and deep. And we wait for more PS2 remakes on VITA.
  101. Aug 18, 2014

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 4, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]