• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.2

1. Aug 18, 2014
    This is by far the 2nd best game i have ever played(best being Jet Set Radio) i had never played an ATLUS game before i played Persona 4 Golden. i never thought going through high school would be so much fun. the characters all had amazing back stories, and Persona 4 Golden teaches you alot about life, people and just emotions in general. its one of the few games that was able to bring a tear to my eye, and the only story id say was better was that of the anime Clannad. Expand
  2. Jul 25, 2014
    One of the greatest RPGs of all time. As you get lost in its intriguing plot, you will try to balance the silent protagonist's social life with challenging dungeon crawling. Polished gameplay, colourful characters and a wonderful soundtrack make this an unforgettable experience.
  3. Jul 24, 2014
    I'm usually not one for JRPGS. I'm terrible at micromanaging and have a tendency to not see a 60 hour campaign to its entirety. That being said, Persona 4 Golden is one of my favorite RPGs ever. I haven't felt this strongly about a group of characters since Mass Effect 2. This game alone is worth buying a Vita for.
  4. Jul 23, 2014
    This is a great game. The story is unpredictable which keeps it interesting as well as the strategic combat. It does a great job getting you invested in all of the characters through their back stories and just hanging out with them. Not many games can make you laugh like this game and then make you this sad too. It definitely lives up to all the hype and exceeded my expectations for it. Highly Recommend!!! Expand
  5. Jul 16, 2014
    A lot of games interest me for a few hours and then ultimately lose me. I never return. P4G has been an exception. 25+ hours into the game and it still feels fresh. Sure, some of the dialogue is hokey and borderline offensive, but the game still has charm. Looking forward to seeing how the story unfolds.
  6. Jul 9, 2014
    10/10 el mejor juego de todos jeje es neta no mames este juego es una vergototota asi de 8 kilometros para dentro de tu cola asi bien gigantesca y venosa y peluda, asi bien brillante vhorreando semen asi cccfffrchfhrfhrcfhr ssacando fuego, no mames comprenlo o pirateenselo sin un unos plebs **** jodidos de mierda pero en serio no se deberian perder esta maravilla, si tienes cancer o sida o cualquie rotra enfermedad terminal y ya te vas a morir, jugar este juego es la ultima cosa que debes hacer en tu miserable existencia Expand
  7. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One struggles to put into words the superb quality of this game. Brilliant story full of twist and turns, humorous dialogues, loveable characters that make social links worth maxing out, and strategical RPG gameplay that really makes the player choose their moves carefully all are the ingredients that helped make this game the wonder that it is. Challenge is also there with increasingly difficult boss and enemy battles and with time management in maxing out all social links before a year has been and gone. I have played this game four times over and enjoyed just as much each time, with secrets after the player's first playthrough such as hidden bosses. By far, one of the best games on the PS Vita and definitely one to pick up. Expand
  8. Jun 30, 2014
    Just finished Persona 4 The Golden last night. I must admit that this game is a MASTERPIECE. I'll say it upfront, i'm giving this game a 10/10. I enjoyed the game very much.

The story about a young boy who was sent to live with his uncle in the countryside, Inaba Town. He will have to live there for a year. The first time he arrived, lots of rumor about the midnight channel and people
    missing. What exactly happened in Inaba & what's our hero role in all of this? Play and find it out.

Plus point:
    - This game has like every aspect to make the game enjoyable. First of all, a strong main story. I mean yeah, you are a high schooler who is a student at days while playing the role of a guy who can summon persona and whack the ass of Shadows? That's pretty much cool. And not just that, we got lines of strong supporting characters. You could unfold what happened in Inaba, searching for the truth or stop at the false truth, it's all up to you. Because the fate of the story is in your hand.
    - Social links & normal life! Supporting characters are not just supporting characters, you can actually bond with them and get extra side story. Our hero is a high school student, so it's just normal to have activities outside school. You can go on a date, hang out with your friends, find a girlfriend, eat at the restaurant, learn more about your friends, you can do part time jobs, read books, make lunch, etc. This makes the game just real and we can relate it to our life as well.
    - Music! Shoji Meguro is definitely a genius. He writes most of the songs for the Megami Tensei series and yes, this game has addictive music. The battle music, theme song, background music, it's just awesome. It makes you enjoy the game more than ever.
    - Persona 4 The Golden is like a complete edition of Persona 4. At first i thought just some extra scene and a little upgrade. I was wrong. The new shuffle system, extra scene of going skiing, going to beach, festival & stuffs? It's just awesome. New social link like Marie and her true story? That's just awesome. This is my 2nd time playing it and i'm still amazed by the new contents. Costumes, Riding Bike, 3rd Evolution. Epilogue showing how's your friend a year later, & etc. Thumbs up Atlus, just...awesome.

Minus Point:
    - Seriously? None. But if i have to point it out. You can get the "True" True Ending only if you play it the 2nd time. Well, most people would love to play it again. But not for me, uh-uh. I don't like playing the whole game for the 2nd time. But by playing it the 2nd time, that means you can get the other Social Link that you haven't got the first time. Well it's all about perspective though.

After all i REALLY....REALLY recommend you to buy this game if you own a Vita. This game is a masterpiece and you GOT to have this game. 10/10, nuff said & just grab the f*cking game.
  9. Jun 14, 2014
    As a kid, i was hooked on jRPGS like Final fantasy 1-9, Chrono Trigger, Shining force, Breath of Fire etc. At some point, when i finished breath of fire IV (which is awesome, i recommend) i stopped playing jRPGs. They have a feel about them that is too familiar, and more or less, the same. I don't get that feeling with persona. It's new, refreshing and a role-playing aspect of an ROLE PLAY GAME (RPG). Characters are well developed, and that is the accent of the game. Fighting has some cool mechanics, and that is fine too. Game feels like a mix between final fantasy, monster rancher and life simulator. It is weird, i give you that, but it kinda works. It works better than anyone would expect. While today RPGs teach you that you can get ANYTHING you want if you grind long enough, talk to people etc... persona is not like that. It gives you options and it's up to you how you'll play your "cards". Great story, great characters and amazing gameplay on great system. 10/10 Expand
  10. Jun 12, 2014
    A lot of people have asked me if it's worth buying a Vita, and my answer is always another question, 'Do you like JRPGs?" If yes, then Persona 4 Golden is the main reason to buy this system. I had never played a Persona game before, but the hype finally got to me, and I'll admit that I bought the system to play P4G. I have not had a single bit of buyer's remorse, because the game is fantastic. A beautiful story with many twists and turns, great fluid gameplay that never feels stiff (here's looking at you, Final Fantasy X...), and characters that will stick with you forever. There's a reason Persona 4 has sparked the most spinoffs, and it's because it's easily one of the best RPGs ever conceived. If you haven't played this game, do yourself a favor and buy it. Truly a game that lives up to the hype. Expand
  11. May 9, 2014
    This game is awesome! I am a big Persona fan and this remake hit the spot. The characters were enjoyable expect for a few people that were just **** The dialogue is brilliant the added character is awesome. The game is a grind fest which can be off putting but if you can look past that i recommend this game to anyone who has a ps vita.
  12. UCA
    May 8, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  13. May 1, 2014
    the 1st reason I bought a PS VITA. Worth my money, time and praise. I love this game and because of that I love my VITA. I wish Atlus Would make a PERSONA exclusive game for vita.
  14. Apr 7, 2014
    one of my all time favorite games! the vita version is by far a huge improvement on the ps2 version, if you haven't played this yet I recommend you do! it's fantastic!
  15. Mar 26, 2014
    I bought this game last month and just got the platinum trophy yesterday, 120+ hours spent. This is the first time I've played Persona franchise and I found it impressive. You are free to take actions almost every day in the game and there are so many things you can do and may want to do. To be honest, exploring dungeons in this game is extremely tedious for me and I don't like the story at early stages which just simply repeats a similar pattern. However, these two "weak points" failed to stop me from completing the game because I had enough fun outside of them. Expand
  16. Mar 26, 2014
    To sum up, P4G is 90% book and 10% gameplay. The writing and characterization is really good, I won't argue that, but as a GAME it is pretty bad. The gameplay consists are very generic and shallow turn based battles with no unique features. That is literally all the gameplay this game contains. Like I said, if all you want is a 100 hour visual novel to simulate the popular high school experience and go out on dates with virtual girls, go ahead and get this game, but if you want an actual GAME, stay far away. Everything is there to serve the (EXTREMELY predictable plot, I guessed the ending after 10 hours), and honestly, the game is boring. I like books as much as the next guy, but this game is literally a book with some bad combat thrown in. Expand
  17. Mar 20, 2014
    I never had the chance to play P4 on PS2. I first picked up Persona 2 for PSP on Vita and really liked it so i decided to give a go on the others too. So i bought P4G and a new era of JRPG loving started for me. This game is so deep both on a gameplay and a storytelling level that it made me wanna finish it 100% and do everything, a thing that i didn't usually do with JRPGs. It is a unique masterpiece among its kind that will be in the top ten games for years to come. Its a must for JRPG and anime fans, so don't hesitate. I cant wait for Persona 5!!!! I hope is as good or better but P4 has set the bar to high. Expand
  18. Mar 12, 2014
    Quite possibly the greatest game I've ever played. Story, characters, music, gameplay are all top notch. The characters are without a doubt the games strongest point. It would be impossible not to get attached. Must own for any PS Vita system.
  19. Mar 3, 2014
    I just want to start off by saying that I really wanted to give this game a 10/10.

Persona 4 Golden (or the original) is a wondrous magical amazing game that every RPG enthusiast should play. There are many perfect aspects about the game, like the endlessly interesting story, the fun combat, the pokemon-like creature collection, the incredible social link system, the gorgeous menus, and
    the (mostly) beautiful music. I thoroughly enjoyed the themes of searching for truth, and many times I believed the game to be over when a surprising twist to the plot kept me playing for 80+ hours. However, due to a few minor shortcomings and one huge flaw, I could not give this game the score it deserves.

The major problem with this game was the dungeon crawling. The randomly generated, multi-leveled dungeons just aren't fun. Each one has the same design, which involves navigating hallways to find chests and the stairwell to the next level. Unfortunately, after the first dungeon, it just became very repetitive and generic. It felt like a chore more than a pleasure. During the long sessions of the real world, I would actually dread having to go back to the grind. This outdated gameplay should have been redesigned during the initial stages of development.

Other problems with the game range anywhere from many of the vocal-heavy soundtrack music (although this is mostly preference), to the overly-difficult to manage ability system. The latter makes Persona creation less than ideal for creating Personas with preferred abilities.

Some things really aren't very clear either, such as the best ways to utilize the social links, and how to completely advance the story. A little more help would have been nice. Maybe I wouldn't have wasted several dozen days doing useless tasks. Also, I still have no idea how to catch bugs or fish.

Regardless, the game is phenomenal and is currently the best game on Vita by far. 9/10
  20. Mar 2, 2014
    This is THE best game I have ever played. The formula of short days with meaningful activities makes it very addictive. The combat is excellent and spices up the formula of turn based battles with chances to take extra turns when hitting a weak spot of an enemy or dealing critical damage. Excellent presentation and style sells the world. The characters and the various voice actors behind the voices are excellent with realistic dialogue. They are not just JRPG stereotypes but really do act like kids that age. They can be insensitive and awkward but loveable and kind all at the same time. Dungeons are as quick and as deep as you make them. Over powered and want to skip to the boss. Just keep running as enemies rarely catch up to you. I played it in normal mode and got the true ending plus epilogue and I have to say playing it on a second playthrough was worth it. Love the anime cut scenes and lastly the music, its hard to understand but the tunes are catchy and never get old. I really want a follow up story for these guys. Be it anime or a whole new game or even a manga I will snatch it up. My favourite game ever made.

Buy it!

From a 22 year old gamer ;)
  21. Feb 25, 2014
    This is RPG brilliance. Fantastic gameplay complimented by an intriguing story and characters put together in a beautiful-to-look-at anime style make this easily the the best game available on the Vita to date. It should come with a warning label due to how addictive it can be.
  22. Feb 24, 2014
    **This review is purely from a casual RPG player's point of view**
    Persona 4 Golden is one of the best games I've played so far. Before playing P4G, I wasn't aware of this series and/or did not care to know more about them. The reason I bought persona 4 golden was that the game had many good reviews. I bought this game not knowing that I'll get completely sucked into the series of Shin
    Megami Tensei universe. If I knew about this game earlier, I'd have bought a vita to play it long time ago. Since I don't dare spoil the wonderful story behind this wonderful game, all I can say is that if you are a big fan of RPG like myself, you're in for a delicious treat. Just be careful with your choices in the game, cause your choices dangerously matters here. Expand
  23. Feb 23, 2014
    How does one even begin to talk about a game so overhyped? That is one of the main words I'd use to describe P4G. So many times I've heard "This is the best Vita game!" that I expected so much of it, it couldn't possibly have held up. Further more, Persona 3 is my favorite game, so Persona 4 would have to try real hard to impress me. Never the less I went in very optimistic about this game, understanding that it's something different. To sum it all up: too different, at least for me. But on an important note, I want you to know that I haven't let my feelings about Persona 3 get in the way of my honest review about Persona 4 Golden - what follows are my thoughts about the game as a single experience. Comparissons are just mandatory at some points, but bring nothing to my final score, as you will see in my conclusion
    Also, another side note, I can't have people talking about that this is the best Vita game - this is a port of a PS2 game, that got a bit ruined over the porting process. Think about it.
    On a graphical note, the game holds up. Nothing spectacular, but it doesn't need to be. Some of the new designs they went with look stupid, I found myself laughing out loud at them on a couple ocassions, which to me isn't a good sign. Overall on the polish standpoint it stands proudly alongside other entries in the SMT series - extremely polished and nicely stylised. I think the style they chose doesn't fit much, but I'll talk about that later on.
    This game sounds good too. I don't find the OST to be particularly strong, but it's fitting. However it does not manage to escape some stereotypes, though it tries to. But when it uses a stereotypes- it succeeds brilliantly. I have to mention that it has awesome voice work, featuring some of the best actors in the branch. There are some moments of awkward silence in this game that I did not get or like.
    The story of Persona 4 is a weird one in execution, not in content. I have to admit that after the amazing story of Persona 3, I expected this to be strong as or stronger than Persona 3. Persona 4 offers a mix of stereotypical characters (with a few exclusions, to my surprise) with bland origin stories, in favor of offering a more complex, dark and brooding plot. However, it's not as good as it sounds. The plot of the game isn't bad, it is simply badly directed - the game overall favors gameplay over story, which may be your thing - keep in mind that it's not mine. The plot seems nice and complex, but it misses a lot of opportunities to become stronger. The story has it's better moments, though - I got some solid laughs and even some soggy eyes at certain points. But in the end it's still a very slow moving story, that tries to end out with a bang, but ends out feeling rushed. To sum the story up: I found myself pressing the "Skip" button way more often that I thought I was capable of in a game of this caliber.
    To my surprise, however, this game shines on the gameplay standpoint. It offers a lot of activities to do, most of which are very fun and addicting. The main gameplay is very spiced up and not-boring as per usual with JRPGs (in my opinion). There are two major things I didn't like about the gameplay, which for the sake of spoilers, I will sum up into one, spoiler-free sentance: This game gives you NO hints for things it expects you to know and do, and proceeds to punish you for not doing them. To a gamer like me, who likes freedom of choice and rewarding story-driven gameplay, I found the gameplay boxing. A lot of times I said to myself "Immersion broken", because this game often reminded me that it's a game - something I don't want to think about while trying to be a part of the experience. Also, the overall bright presentation of the game ruins it at times too, being unfitting for the plot it tries to sell.
    In conclusion, I think the only reason people are overhyping this game is because it's the only Persona game they've played. Don't let that fool you. But I have something else to say too: I'd rate an 8/10 as a sequel to Persona 3, because as we see in the bigger picture, the two are connected. I'ts not a good sequel. But it's a heck of a standalone 9/10 game. You owe it to yourself to play this game, because even going beyond the statement that it's worse than Persona 3, which I am going off here, I cannot deny the fact that it's a really awesome game that you should not miss. I still say it's not the best Vita game, because it's a PS2 game. I do recommend playing the Vita version, because long games are made for portables, but if you chose to do so - google things carefully, because overhype leads to overexposure, and spoilers are everywhere! Further more, be prepared to spoil some things for yourself intentionally if you want to get the most out of this game (talking about the thing the game expects you to know). Conclusion: Play Persona 3 first, reasons can be found in my Persona 3 review, also P4 is a sequel to P3 none the less.
  24. Feb 16, 2014
    A great addition to the series, the Persona spin-offs are fast becoming more noteworthy than the core SMT titles they are attached to. Golden is a remake of the PS2 classic of the same name, Persona 4. Any newcomers to the series will find 4 a much more forgiving entry to Persona games than 3. With a lighthearted story to contrast well with the darker portions of the plot as well as gameplay you can feel like you have more control over, Persona 4 and the VITA port P4: Golden makes heavy effort to draw in new players in the series and does it well.

Combat is done turn-based style, with the twist from previous P3 entry in that you can control your allies' attacks and techniques if you so choose. This simple addition makes P4 a much more forgiving title to new players.

The story is engaging, with a strong focus on bonding with characters to help drive your investment in the world. Though it is a direct numerical sequel to the Persona spin-offs and makes a few references to older games, P4 still keeps the story open and accessible to new players.

One of the largest draws to me is since it is a port of a ps2 game, and a long one at that, the game feels sufficiently worth the money to get on the VITA. The biggest gripe I've had in a long time for hand held games lately has been the low playtime. P4 can take a very long time to complete if you allow yourself to get lost in it's depth, particularly with the leveling and social system.

If you have a VITA and wish to play a solid JRPG, then it is difficult for me to see how you can go wrong with P4: Golden.
  25. Feb 1, 2014
    With the brilliant soundtrack, especially ' the almighty ' likeable characters and addicting gameplay persona 4 golden is not only the best game on the Vita its the greatest JRPG ever made IMO.
  26. Feb 1, 2014
    This game is a real systemseller, I truly believe there is no such other game on PS Vita. It's really massive, it has A LOT of top notch made content, there is no point to explain all the advantages of the game, I just say that all Vita owners should buy this game at any cost and all the others should buy PS Vita to play this fantastic game.
  27. ERB
    Jan 23, 2014
    This is the King Of PlayStation Vita games.The game play is fun the story is great and interesting.Persona 4 lives up to the hype we were all expecting and importantly it surpasses the hype.Buy this game now and play it.This game is the number 1 reason to buy a PlayStation Vita.
  28. Jan 20, 2014
    I tried very, very hard to like this game but I just couldn't. Japenese RPGs are my go to genre and this disappointed me, especially with all the fantastic reviews I saw.

It's different than your usual RPG, which is good, but there is too much going on and I never knew how to spend my time "correctly". I wasn't sure when to level for the next dungeon, and if I was under levelled I had
    to go back in time a week after my game ended.

The battle system was classic and solid but I hated not being able to leave a dungeon to heal. If you do it skips ahead a day which makes it so you can't do other daily things like raising your social links and such.

The story and characters gripped me however. The story and characters you meet are deep and interesting, for the most part.

I will try playing again one day, but be prepared for something very different. Great ideas, but just not for me.
  29. Jan 18, 2014
    Persona 4 Golden is a wonderfully made game that is an actual improvement on the PS2 version. Its the extra details that really win one over such as the new levels, and cut scenes. Worth a second play through at least.
  30. Jan 4, 2014
    Let me get this out of the way:
    1. In the first half I will be discussing the game itself
    2.In the second half I will discuss the deiferences in the Vita port.
    Part 1!
    Persona 4 (along with it's Golden version) is the best game I have ever played. I NEVER in my life thought that a video game would engross me so much that I would cry simply because I had finished it. Everything from the
    controls to the combat system that makes grinding FUN to the art style and the best cast of character ever produced by video games is absolutely, unquestionably, perfect. Persona has a incredibly large cast of characters but still manages to make them all interesting. Even my least favorite character in the game, Rise Kujikawa, is STILL so interesting that she gives Elizabeth and the 2013 Lara Croft a run for their money.The combat system is like a combination of Pokemons monster capturing and weakness exploiting, mixed with Final Fantasies controlling a diverse team aspect. And if you're looking for engaging content, this game has you covered in abundance. From the multiple social links and endings, to dialogue options to questing and dungeon crawling for extras is done absolutely masterfully. Persona 4/Golden is a game that shows us what the medium of gaming has the potential to offer in terms of story telling, because unlike The Last of Us or Beyond Two Souls, it focuses on story and gameplay equally to make something so unimaginably good that it makes even Nintendo's best offerings shiver in fear. If you have a Playstation 2 or Vita and haven't played Persona 4 or Golden, you're missing out on so much it's actually sad.
    Part 2, Golden extras!
    1. Another character you can S.Link by the name of Marie
    2.An extra dungeon
    3. A epilogue taking place three months after you leave
    4.New Game Plus allowing you to play the game again with all stats fro your first playthrough.
    Conclusion
    Persona 4 is a that will probably never be surpassed. So do yourself a favor and spend the best 30 dollars of your life!Rating: 10//10 "Perfect"

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]