Persona 4 Golden PlayStation Vita

• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.3

1. Jul 6, 2016
    What do you get when you combine a classic turn based RPG, a visual novel, and a dating simulator? Probably not what you expected. What separates Persona 4 Golden from the flood of other Japanese imports hitting the market, with their copy-and-paste mechanics, is its individuality and creative spark.

The story follows the protagonist, Yu Narukami, as he boards a train to stay with his detective uncle Dojima and young cousin Nanako in the sleepy town of Inaba. In this time your character attends school, meets some new friends and gets tangled up in a paranormal murder case shrouded in rumors of “The Midnight Channel,” a television show that appears at midnight to show the viewer their true love. Victims begin to appear around town hanging from telephone wires and without a single lead for Detective Dojima or his partner Adachi, it's time for the investigation team of high school friends to figure out what's really going on here.

The main focus for the player is going to be, well, personas. These allies are summoned through tarot cards and earned through a card shuffle mini game after battles or through fusion. With little more than physical attacks and items, you're going to need to collect as many as possible. Personas are comparable to Pokemon (and the parent series of Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, actually started the collectible monster genre 4 years prior to the release of Pokemon), except you only want to see them as what they are: a tool. This might strike players used to their monsters being friends that level up with you as shallow, but in P4G there are hundreds of potential personas to help you along the way. The personas complement a fluid turn-based battle system that always felt fresh and new. Combat focuses heavily on your ability to play against enemy weaknesses and keep status buffs in a healthy rotation, something that feels more like an afterthought in typical RPGs. The battle system kept me interested as I traversed through the often bland and randomly generated dungeons for an hour or more at a time, an aspect that the previous Persona 3 suffered from as well. People new to the series might lose interest in this regard, but a player that enjoys grinding and hunting for treasure will feel right at home.

As I continued through P4G, it became apparent that personality is where it counts. The jazzy pop soundtrack, vibrant color scheme, and varied character interactions set the tone for a memorable experience. Every character from your party members to the townspeople have their own fleshed out story to tell, and Golden invites you to speak to everyone you see and grow your reputation in Inaba. The social link mechanic allows you to form personal bonds with those you meet allowing new fusions, persona abilities, equipment, and stories in a way that transforms the conventional dating sim process found in many visual novels.

Golden is a highly polished remake of the original PS2 title. The graphics received a complete overhaul, some enemies and bosses have been altered to get rid of outdated mechanics too heavily reliant on luck, and the new voice actors come from many notable roles in the industry (seriously, Johnny Yong Bosch has been in everything.) You'll also find extra content in the television channels available at the start screen, consisting of a trivia mini game, concept art, and footage from Persona Live concerts. Maybe the most prominent of additions is Marie, a character with a cloudy past.

Marie can be unlikable from the start of her social link, often rude and lacking in social awareness. I found myself pressing fast forward through her dialogue but the conclusion of my time with Marie and the way our interactions filled out the overall narrative left me with a feeling of regret about judging this relevant piece of the puzzle too quickly. The content exclusive to Golden along with my 100+ hours spent in Inaba left me wishing for more time with the investigation team that altered my perspective of what can at times feel like a dying genre as a JRPG fan. It's a reoccurring lesson in P4G and even in life that sometimes it's best to just see where things go.

If you have the time to spare and a love for well-crafted storytelling, Persona 4 Golden will treat you to an experience you won't soon forget. And while there are flaws throughout, it's hard to be down when you're having such a good time with good friends.
    ________________________________________

Rating: 9/10
    + Persona fusion/battle system
    + Plenty of style and personality
    + Social link system is a fun way to interact with characters
    - Massive time investment and bland dungeon design
    - Extra content might not appeal or stand out to new players

Recommended for: fans of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, or narrative-driven story games like Life is Strange, Ace Attorney, Or Danganronpa.
  2. Jun 25, 2016
    80 hours of pure, unadultered fun. Relatable characters, sweet story and side stories. Fun combat, endearing graphics and enchanting music score! Go get a Vita and play this.
  3. Jun 8, 2016
    The best game in the franchise! The best RPGs game in the last 9yrs!!! The story, music, characters, game development is amazing!! If you liked Persona 4 on PS2. Well this is like the remastered super elite version!!!! In my top 3 best RPGs of all time right behind Chrono Trigger and FFVI.
  4. May 22, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really good RPG! The story/intrigue is great but it's just sad that you most probably need to follow a walkthrough to see the real ending since it requires specific conversation options at one point of the game. Expand
  5. May 16, 2016
    i love the persona games persona 3 fes being my fav out of the all the games but persona 4 has to grow on u so fast this game is really more light compared to the other persona games i would love to play it a lot more buuuuut just like what kingdom hearts did that put the games on every consoles this being the amazing vida that i wish i could buy but can't offered unfortunately whenever iti love the persona games persona 3 fes being my fav out of the all the games but persona 4 has to grow on u so fast this game is really more light compared to the other persona games i would love to play it a lot more buuuuut just like what kingdom hearts did that put the games on every consoles this being the amazing vida that i wish i could buy but can't offered unfortunately whenever it comes to games that do this i really need to think hard will it affect the review? No it should not this game just needs a 10-10 but from me i will give a 9-10 i would love if the game could give a better way of leveling up in fes there was a option after battle to get a card that increases the amount of exp u get thats what saved me time in that game as i said i had a limited amount of time before i had to stop this game is great everyone should have a chance to play it. Expand
  6. May 16, 2016
    If you like RPGs, buy this. You don't have a Vita or a Playstation TV? Buy one, it won't cost you most than 60$ total.
    I bought a Vita for this game alone back in 2012, i have not regretted it for one second. Persona 4 is the best game i have played since FF7. Perfection is a elusive term since there can never be anything better than something that is perfect, therefore this game is not perfect, but it is about as close as you will ever get. Maybe Persona 5 will get even closer, we will see, regardless — 9.8/10
  7. May 11, 2016
    When I got the game I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I read the great reviews when it was first released and had the idea that I would like the game but wasn't expecting it to become my favorite game of all time. Love the story and characters. The events and a thing call social links adds so much depth to the characters an humor as well. By the time you are finished, youWhen I got the game I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I read the great reviews when it was first released and had the idea that I would like the game but wasn't expecting it to become my favorite game of all time. Love the story and characters. The events and a thing call social links adds so much depth to the characters an humor as well. By the time you are finished, you feel almost sad. Not because the ending is sad but because it feels like you have developed relationships with these characters and its hard to leave. Can't wait for Persona 5 Expand
  8. Apr 25, 2016
    This game is just incredible. Amazing story, amazing gameplay, amazing music, really good graphic. What do you want more? This game is perfect or almost perfect in everything. The game is too much enjoyable, it won't let you leave for long. Even this is just english version for west, this dubbing is amazing and best I have seen in games so far. Persona 4 Golden is just... wow! For everyThis game is just incredible. Amazing story, amazing gameplay, amazing music, really good graphic. What do you want more? This game is perfect or almost perfect in everything. The game is too much enjoyable, it won't let you leave for long. Even this is just english version for west, this dubbing is amazing and best I have seen in games so far. Persona 4 Golden is just... wow! For every RPG fan this should be must and even for people who usually don't like this genre I can say this will change you opinion on RPGs! The best PS VITA game!

GRAPHIC - 8
    GAMEPLAY - 10
    LASTING APPEAL - 10
    EXECUTION - 10

OVERAL - 9,5
  9. Apr 13, 2016
    A esto si que llamo una obra maestra en los rpg. Es un juego que mantiene la línea de los combate por turnos. Buena jugabilidad, bonitos graficos, buena música y gran variedad de Personae. Es un juego perfectos para las personas que le gustan los jrpg puro y duro. Además tiene un inglés básico y entendible. Sigue así Atlus!
  10. Apr 11, 2016
    The Persona franchise after 3 has seen re-release after re-release. First it was P3, then P3:FES, then P3P, then P4, now P4G. Every time they release a new one, they become that much closer to perfecting their gameplay formula.

P4 is one of the greatest games of all time, with an incredible story and polish. The Golden improves on this formula once again, by adding a large amount of content, improving the visuals, and slapping it on the vita. If you have a vita, buy this game. Atlus is the best publisher/developer, and they deserve every penny and high metacritic score they receive.
  11. Mar 15, 2016
    It would be wrong to call this the new Final Fantasy because eventhough it's a turn-based RPG there are way too many differences with FF, but if there's one saga that's to continue with the legacy of the great turn RPGs, it's Persona, and Persona IV is simply the most refined in the saga. Great characters, great anime-like graphics, great storyline, great music, great everything basically.It would be wrong to call this the new Final Fantasy because eventhough it's a turn-based RPG there are way too many differences with FF, but if there's one saga that's to continue with the legacy of the great turn RPGs, it's Persona, and Persona IV is simply the most refined in the saga. Great characters, great anime-like graphics, great storyline, great music, great everything basically. I just can't think of any RPG saga that is close to Persona nowadays.

And also, best game in the PS Vita by far, definetely worth it's prize.
  12. Feb 28, 2016
    I'll list three of my favorite games so you will know what type of gamer is writing this review.

Atelier Totori  Danganronpa  Fire Emblem  THE GOOD:  MUSIC: Music is amazing. Some of the best game music you will hear.   GRAPHICS:Graphics are good,, this is a touched up PS2 game so the expectations should be along those lines.     VOICE ACTING: Voice acting is great. The

Atelier Totori
    Danganronpa
    Fire Emblem

THE GOOD:

MUSIC: Music is amazing. Some of the best game music you will hear.

VOICE ACTING: Voice acting is great. The voice actor for Chie Satanoka was different from the original PS2 title, but I didn't hardly notice a difference and the replacement is just as talented. This game was voice acted about 80 percent of the time.

GAMEPLAY: Gameplay is awesome. From dungeon exploring to enhancing social links.

STORY: Story is perhaps the best part of all. Great story with twist and turns. With several humorous moments

THE BAD:

This is expected from any RPG so I couldnt take away from the score but the dungeons and enhancing social links does run a bit stale towards the end. Especially if you unlock the extra playable dungeons. My gameplay time was 70 hours when I finished this game.

IN DEPTH REVIEW:

You control a party of up to four characters in the dungeons. You can eventually choose between seven or eight characters. Each character has thier unique playstyle. From healer/magic user, to a juggernaut with great attack but low hit. When your not in dungeons, you spend time going to school and spending time with freinds. After school ends in the afternoon, you can spend time with a freind. When you do this, you increase social link ranks which allow you to bonus experience to a persona that you can create. When a social link is maxed, you can create that social links special persona also.
    You can create personas by fusing together one of more the personas that you currently have. You can get personas by fighting battles. They can simply be acquired at the end of battle.

The battle system is composed of finding an enemy's weakness and expoiting it for extra damage and a chance for an all out attack. An all out attack is when all four party members attack at once for big damage. There are no random encounters, most all fights can be avoided if you wish. Also, there is instant kill in this game, which the eneimies can use also. This means that you can get a gameover screen in the blink of an eye. This wasnt a huge problem in this game and there are items you can obtain to prevent it.

THE GOLDEN VERSION DIFFERENCE:

Different voice actor for Chie
    More animations
    More social links
    Costumes that you can equip in dungeons.
    An extra dungeon

There is also a bathing scene with the girls and some costumes show nudity. I obtained a costume that showed part of naotos rear. The bathing scene shows some rear also.

This wraps up this review. Hope it helps.
  13. Feb 9, 2016
    This review is going to be short as this game has already been reviewed a lot and gotten praise everywhere.

Persona 4 Golden is a port of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 for the ps2, with a lot of upgrades and changes. One of the major additions is a new character, Marie, and a side story to go with her, as well new Social Links for her and Adachi. Overall Persona 4 was and is a great

Overall Persona 4 was and is a great game, and Persona 4 Golden makes it even better, and portable as well. With a great story involving unforgettable characters solving a murder mystery that spans two different worlds, and with many different personas to use in battle and fuse together, this game is arguably the best on the vita when it came out, and even in 2015-2016.

Persona 4 Golden deserves a 9.5 at least, if you enjoy JRPGs and stories with memorable characters. This is of course THE game to buy if you purchase a vita, and you will not regret that decision.
  14. Jan 26, 2016
    I loved this game on ps2 years ago when it came out- finally giving it another go on Vita now, and it's a rare time where I think I appreciate the game even more now than I did then.

Graphically beautiful, the music is unique and well themed. Overall- unique fits the game, but it's also very accessible. To simplify it- P4G mixes dungeon crawling and a social school life game. The

Graphically beautiful, the music is unique and well themed.

Overall- unique fits the game, but it's also very accessible.

To simplify it- P4G mixes dungeon crawling and a social school life game. The key here is how well it is done- with everything interlocking and what you do in both aspects benefiting the other. Managing your social life well increases your abilities in the dungeon- being skilled at clearing the dungeon quickly gives you more time to pursue your social life.

Of course, many small things were added after the ps2 version that help fill up an already very complete game with great replay value. This is one of the best RPGs ever made.
  15. Jan 1, 2016
    I can't believe how insanely good this game is! The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, there is not alot of game with vocal music for normal battle theme! This game in my opinion has the best cast of character of all time, you will like them all! I was really sad when the game ended, i stated a new game immediately, when i finished the game the first time, i have over 300 hours overI can't believe how insanely good this game is! The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, there is not alot of game with vocal music for normal battle theme! This game in my opinion has the best cast of character of all time, you will like them all! I was really sad when the game ended, i stated a new game immediately, when i finished the game the first time, i have over 300 hours over multiple playthough, this game has so much dialogue, every time you start a new game it still feel fresh! Everyone that play this game should try to avoid spoiler at all cost! What a fantastic game, easily my favorite game of all time with SO4. Expand
  16. Dec 28, 2015
    the game is practically perfect. I love story, game play and setting. I thought its themes were very thought provoking and relateable for everyone. If i had to share a few nit-picks they'd be that some of the voices (especially Chie and Teddie) can get annoying and I think the battle system should have featured more party customization.
  17. Dec 16, 2015
    A fantastic game, held me for many hours, there are several reasons. Great upgrade system, great battle system, great story, great soundtrack, great secondary activities and pastime. Surely, the best game I played on PS Vita.
  18. Nov 14, 2015
    Persona 4 Golden is probably the best game I ever played. This game changed my life, and I have to tell you all why.

First, the graphics. This is the "worst" part of game since it's a game from PS2 with some fixes, but it's impossible to hide the roots of the game. But the artistic design of ALL the Persona and the characters is really, really good. The number of Persona is huge, and the users will be enjoy seeing all the quality of all of them.

Let's continue with the sound. This is probably one of the best section in the game: there are a lot of songs, and the best: all of them are fantastic. The opening, the battle theme, the bosses theme... All are incredible good songs and some of them have lyrics. There is even a music game of Persona 4, so the music is an incredible favorable point.

And now, the gameplay itself. The game it's a year and you have to do normal life like a student... But when you finish your class, you have to rescue people in the TV world. Sounds crazy (and IT'S CRAZY) but the combination of life simulator and RPG is unbelievable. All the 80h of the game you are enjoying, and the hours seem minutes. The social links is the best point of the game: it's a system that indicates the level of a relationship with a friend you have (and, of course, if you get level 10 with a girl, you'll boyfriends!). This system has a lot of importance in the RPG part too. Each social link is an Arcana, and when you fuse a Persona of these Arcana, you will gain more experience than usual.

The plot is really good, and the characters... You will fall in love with them. ALL are amazing and have their own story, and you will see how they developed during the game. The game has a lot of funny moments, but has really sadly moments too. Theses aspects are really balanced, having more funny moments and the beginning and more sadly moments at the end.

A total perfect game that all of you have to play.
  19. Oct 22, 2015
    This game is enthralling and a must have for your PS Vita. The story is ridiculously interesting and you'll be wanting answers straight from the beginning. It's a typical JRPG (may or may not be a positive) with an incredible story. Highly recommended.
  20. Oct 6, 2015
    Hands down one of the best games I have ever played.

Pros:
    Amazing characters
    Amazing story
    Unique gameplay

Cons:
    Grinding can be kind of annoying
    I wish when you died you would keep xp from the start of the current floor
    Game takes awhile to get into
  21. Sep 13, 2015
    this i probably one of the few RPG's that i've played in my life that that i actually enjoy playing.
    a fun cast of characters, fun dialog, fun gameplay, interesting story.
    pretty much everything you would expect from a good RPG. this game gives me high hopes for Persona 5 to be atleast as good as P4G. i recommend this game for every PS Vita/PSTV owner out there (or the original PS2
    a fun cast of characters, fun dialog, fun gameplay, interesting story.
    pretty much everything you would expect from a good RPG.
    this game gives me high hopes for Persona 5 to be atleast as good as P4G.
    i recommend this game for every PS Vita/PSTV owner out there (or the original PS2 version if you own a PS2/PS3).
  22. Jul 30, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With Persona 4 Golden, Atlas has done the best job a video game creator could ever do. This game is an absolute masterpiece! The attractive, long story is fun to both play and watch through with a very cool plot. It's worth playing through it at least two times because of New Game+ with optional endings, optional bosses and extra cutscenes. They made Persona 4 even better with the Golden version by introducing new ways of battle, a new character and a new ending. This game is the only game ever made that deserves a 5/5, 10/10 or 100/100! Expand
  23. Jul 29, 2015
    I was never big into anime or JRPG's, but after seeing the praise for this game, I decided to pick it up in a recent sale. After getting through the long intro, the game just... opened. I found myself hooked with all the different mechanics, collecting Personas, managing S-Link relationships, doing jobs, attending school, and most of all, crawling through dungeons. Definitely one of my newI was never big into anime or JRPG's, but after seeing the praise for this game, I decided to pick it up in a recent sale. After getting through the long intro, the game just... opened. I found myself hooked with all the different mechanics, collecting Personas, managing S-Link relationships, doing jobs, attending school, and most of all, crawling through dungeons. Definitely one of my new favourite games, I can't put it down. Expand
  24. Jul 8, 2015
    This was my first experience with the Vita and also my first Shin Megami Tensei game. Simply put, I loved it and this might very well be my favorite RPG to date. The silly cast, engaging story, colorful environments, and the amount of things you can do in this 70+ hour adventure make a well deserved 10/10. And if you already played the original on PS2, there's still plenty of fun extras toThis was my first experience with the Vita and also my first Shin Megami Tensei game. Simply put, I loved it and this might very well be my favorite RPG to date. The silly cast, engaging story, colorful environments, and the amount of things you can do in this 70+ hour adventure make a well deserved 10/10. And if you already played the original on PS2, there's still plenty of fun extras to make it worth another visit. Expand
  25. Jul 2, 2015
    One of the best JRPGs to grace into humanity's hands, I'd say. Atlus does its job with near-perfection - again. It's not a perfect game, but almost all of the aspects (music, characters, gameplay itself) are just so well done and polished that it's hard to find any negatives. If you could only get one game for the PS VITA, I'd definitely say this is the right game to get, even if youOne of the best JRPGs to grace into humanity's hands, I'd say. Atlus does its job with near-perfection - again. It's not a perfect game, but almost all of the aspects (music, characters, gameplay itself) are just so well done and polished that it's hard to find any negatives. If you could only get one game for the PS VITA, I'd definitely say this is the right game to get, even if you aren't a fan of anime or RPGs! If you want to know a few examples of why this game isn't perfect, I guess the thing would be that the graphics aren't 100% perfect (which I don't really care about, but you may...), and that the balance between battling in dungeons and hanging out with friends and etc. isn't that solid. On the other hand, everything else about it is wonderful! Please, take some time and play this game!

Gameplay: 10/10
    Story: 8.5/10
    Music: 9.5/10
    Presentation: 9.5/10
    Length/PostGame: 9.5/10
    Overall: 9.5/10
  26. Jun 10, 2015
    This was my first SMT game, it took me about two months to get into as I had been playing it on and off but once I really sat down and treatd it like a console game instead of a mobile game(most vita games are console games) I got sucked into the world of iniba and it changed my perception of what JRPG's were and what turn based combat is
  27. Jun 4, 2015
    This game has an amazing story,great dialogue,awesome battle system and is a JRPG out of the JRPG genre to me since you will also simulate a Japanese high school life and overall a must play game even if you are not a JRPG fan,since you will spend a lot of time on this masterpiece of a re-release
  28. May 20, 2015
    one of the best JRPG all the time for me the AMAZING gameplay system the story and the soundtracks the interfaces everything is perfect about this game i just loved it that much i highly recommend it for jrpg fans its a MUST
  29. May 2, 2015
    This is hands down my favorite game of all time. It's not so much a game as an actual experience that just does a fantastic job of immersing you into its world, its characters, the story, everything. In the 95 hours it took me to finish it, I laughed, I cried, felt like a badass, summoned Helel, Satan, and Odin all in awesome, epic battles. There isn't really anything that I can find wrongThis is hands down my favorite game of all time. It's not so much a game as an actual experience that just does a fantastic job of immersing you into its world, its characters, the story, everything. In the 95 hours it took me to finish it, I laughed, I cried, felt like a badass, summoned Helel, Satan, and Odin all in awesome, epic battles. There isn't really anything that I can find wrong about this game. Everything from the story, characters, gameplay, and music is just fantastic. You owe it to yourself to play this game. Expand
  30. Apr 18, 2015
    This is what a HD remake/port should be.

P4G offers everything that P4 did but adds and improves on it. The HD visuals are just gorgeous. The gameplay is even better this time around as they have made a few tweaks that are clearly done in response to P4 fan feedback. The additional characters and events do feel a little disjointed from the narrative, they are still a welcome
    This is what a HD remake/port should be.

P4G offers everything that P4 did but adds and improves on it.

The additional characters and events do feel a little disjointed from the narrative, they are still a welcome addition.

There's not much else I can say that wasn't already said in my P4 review.

Overall:
    Persona 4 Golden is officially my favorite game (at time of writing this.) It is well worth buying PS Vita just for this game. To date, this is the only game I will score a perfect 10, since from my point of view, this game is perfect.

Side Note:
    Why this version of P4G has not gotten a PS3/PS4 port is beyond me. I know that I, and countless others, would buy it again in a heartbeat.

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 4, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]