• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.2

1. Oct 2, 2013
    The storyline people have been raving about...well it's not that great. While it is unique and a different take than the average RPG, which I am very glad for, it's got a lot of boring and infuriating elements to it.

The "heroes" of the story are the least heroic heroes ever. "Eh, let's wait a week to save that guy." "No need to rush in." "Let's stop and discuss this." There's really no men of action on the entire team and it's annoying.

Then there's the high school drama part. If you like those cheesy Japanese anime comedy/dramas, ok then you'll love that. I for one hated it and found it a waste of time.

The gameplay is a mix of a typical turn-based RPG and a Japanese dating sim. So again, if you like Japanese dating sims, amazing game for you...not so much for me. I do like the combat though, the persona system is pretty cool, it's a lot like Devil Summoner (another game by the same people with a better storyline) but in pure old school RPG format.

Voice acting is good, graphics are OK, some of the music is good.

It's a good time-waster, but hardly deserves the overwhelming praise it receives.
  2. UCA
    May 8, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  3. Apr 17, 2013
    Keep in mind that I never played a persona game before. However, I love turn based rpgs. And yes, I realize that this game was made in 2008.

Personally I find much of the game mechanics namely the "sim" part tedious and the game was way too long for its own good. The game expects you to get along and get to know these characters as strong as your friends. However, These characters were two dimensional and uninteresting. Many of the plot points were obvious making the reveal of the mystery feel unsatisfying. Many of the abilities and spells' names were too complicated. I wish the naming of each ability was short and was straight to the point. For example Bufu ice?, agi fire??? The progression in the beggining dragged on and felt slow. Then all of the sudden throws many options of what you can do to spend your time all at once. I also, dislike games that rushes me to do things at a certain date such as majora's mask.

Things I liked
    I liked the abilities that used hp as if it was mana. Being able to Down enemies and follow up with an all-out-attack. I also liked the "1 more" function as well.
  4. Jan 20, 2014
    I tried very, very hard to like this game but I just couldn't. Japenese RPGs are my go to genre and this disappointed me, especially with all the fantastic reviews I saw.

It's different than your usual RPG, which is good, but there is too much going on and I never knew how to spend my time "correctly". I wasn't sure when to level for the next dungeon, and if I was under levelled I had to go back in time a week after my game ended.

The battle system was classic and solid but I hated not being able to leave a dungeon to heal. If you do it skips ahead a day which makes it so you can't do other daily things like raising your social links and such.

The story and characters gripped me however. The story and characters you meet are deep and interesting, for the most part.

I will try playing again one day, but be prepared for something very different. Great ideas, but just not for me.
  5. Nov 21, 2012
    I picked this game up based on positive reviews. The way the game was described made me very interested. I loved my PS1 and PS2 because of all of the wonderful JRPG games. When I had a PS1, I picked up Final Fantasy IX and thought it was the best one in the series and enjoyed it even more that FFVII! It is sad that so many others missed this game because it was released when the PS2 wasI picked this game up based on positive reviews. The way the game was described made me very interested. I loved my PS1 and PS2 because of all of the wonderful JRPG games. When I had a PS1, I picked up Final Fantasy IX and thought it was the best one in the series and enjoyed it even more that FFVII! It is sad that so many others missed this game because it was released when the PS2 was already out. The same is true for Persona 4 I guess. It was released in 2008, long after I even thought about my PS2. I am grateful that they decided to remaster and re-release this amazing game. I am about 4 hours in and I had trouble putting it down. It is epic. The game is a combination of traditional turn based strategy, anime cartoon story, and scooby doo style mystery solving. Another all time favorite game of mine is Shenmue and this game shares some of the best elements of that game for me. You get to explore town, have social interaction with others, go to shops, and everything is based on time, so when you go back to your house, you end the day by going to sleep in your bed. The game constantly gives you decisions to make that will affect the outcome of the game kind of like mass effect. This could encourage me to replay the game very easily. The graphics aren't as impressive as uncharted for the vita or other games of that caliber, but it is pretty because of the art style. Kind of how World of Warcraft was able to stand the test of time without looking very dated. The anime cutscenes also look great on the Vita's sharp screen. Finally, I will talk about the audio. There is already a massive amount of voice acting I have come across and haven't even scratched the surface from what I understand. (I hear it can take up to 100 hours to play through the game if you take your time). And the music is soooooo catchy!!! I listen to mostly rock and hate pop, but this J Pop that they play is great! You know it is good if you start humming the songs in your head. All in all, I am impressed so much that I put down the game to write my opinion on this game. That says a lot. I cannot stress enough how much you should play this game. Go buy it! Collapse

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]