• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.3

1. Oct 2, 2013
    The storyline people have been raving about...well it's not that great. While it is unique and a different take than the average RPG, which I am very glad for, it's got a lot of boring and infuriating elements to it.

The "heroes" of the story are the least heroic heroes ever. "Eh, let's wait a week to save that guy." "No need to rush in." "Let's stop and discuss this." There's really no men of action on the entire team and it's annoying.

Then there's the high school drama part. If you like those cheesy Japanese anime comedy/dramas, ok then you'll love that. I for one hated it and found it a waste of time.

The gameplay is a mix of a typical turn-based RPG and a Japanese dating sim. So again, if you like Japanese dating sims, amazing game for you...not so much for me. I do like the combat though, the persona system is pretty cool, it's a lot like Devil Summoner (another game by the same people with a better storyline) but in pure old school RPG format.

Voice acting is good, graphics are OK, some of the music is good.

It's a good time-waster, but hardly deserves the overwhelming praise it receives.
  2. UCA
    May 8, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  3. Apr 17, 2013
    Keep in mind that I never played a persona game before. However, I love turn based rpgs. And yes, I realize that this game was made in 2008.

Personally I find much of the game mechanics namely the "sim" part tedious and the game was way too long for its own good. The game expects you to get along and get to know these characters as strong as your friends. However, These characters were two dimensional and uninteresting. Many of the plot points were obvious making the reveal of the mystery feel unsatisfying. Many of the abilities and spells' names were too complicated. I wish the naming of each ability was short and was straight to the point. For example Bufu ice?, agi fire??? The progression in the beggining dragged on and felt slow. Then all of the sudden throws many options of what you can do to spend your time all at once. I also, dislike games that rushes me to do things at a certain date such as majora's mask.

Things I liked
    I liked the abilities that used hp as if it was mana. Being able to Down enemies and follow up with an all-out-attack. I also liked the "1 more" function as well.
  4. Jan 20, 2014
    I tried very, very hard to like this game but I just couldn't. Japenese RPGs are my go to genre and this disappointed me, especially with all the fantastic reviews I saw.

It's different than your usual RPG, which is good, but there is too much going on and I never knew how to spend my time "correctly". I wasn't sure when to level for the next dungeon, and if I was under levelled I had to go back in time a week after my game ended.

The battle system was classic and solid but I hated not being able to leave a dungeon to heal. If you do it skips ahead a day which makes it so you can't do other daily things like raising your social links and such.

The story and characters gripped me however. The story and characters you meet are deep and interesting, for the most part.

I will try playing again one day, but be prepared for something very different. Great ideas, but just not for me.
  5. Mar 3, 2014
    I just want to start off by saying that I really wanted to give this game a 10/10.

Persona 4 Golden (or the original) is a wondrous magical amazing game that every RPG enthusiast should play. There are many perfect aspects about the game, like the endlessly interesting story, the fun combat, the pokemon-like creature collection, the incredible social link system, the gorgeous menus, and the (mostly) beautiful music. I thoroughly enjoyed the themes of searching for truth, and many times I believed the game to be over when a surprising twist to the plot kept me playing for 80+ hours. However, due to a few minor shortcomings and one huge flaw, I could not give this game the score it deserves.

The major problem with this game was the dungeon crawling. The randomly generated, multi-leveled dungeons just aren't fun. Each one has the same design, which involves navigating hallways to find chests and the stairwell to the next level. Unfortunately, after the first dungeon, it just became very repetitive and generic. It felt like a chore more than a pleasure. During the long sessions of the real world, I would actually dread having to go back to the grind. This outdated gameplay should have been redesigned during the initial stages of development.

Other problems with the game range anywhere from many of the vocal-heavy soundtrack music (although this is mostly preference), to the overly-difficult to manage ability system. The latter makes Persona creation less than ideal for creating Personas with preferred abilities.

Some things really aren't very clear either, such as the best ways to utilize the social links, and how to completely advance the story. A little more help would have been nice. Maybe I wouldn't have wasted several dozen days doing useless tasks. Also, I still have no idea how to catch bugs or fish.

Regardless, the game is phenomenal and is currently the best game on Vita by far. 9/10

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]