Persona 4 Golden PlayStation Vita

• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.2

1. Jun 17, 2013
    The only JRPG I've tried was Final Fantasy and I hated it. I was running low on Vita games, so I gave this game a shot.
    This game is superb in all aspects, especially on gameplay. It's so fun and addictive. I've had it just for the weekend and already spent over 7 hours. Graphics is OK, nothing special, but still the game gets a high score from me.

Very recommended for all Vita owners!
  2. Dec 29, 2012
    Easily the best game for the PlayStation Vita and a strong contender for the best game of the year. Persona 4 Golden is a diamond in the rough of 2012.
  3. Nov 20, 2012
    The Persona franchise after 3 has seen re-release after re-release. First it was P3, then P3:FES, then P3P, then P4, now P4G. Every time they release a new one, they become that much closer to perfecting their gameplay formula.

P4 is one of the greatest games of all time, with an incredible story and polish. The Golden improves on this formula once again, by adding a large amount of content, improving the visuals, and slapping it on the vita. If you have a vita, buy this game. Atlus is the best publisher/developer, and they deserve every penny and high metacritic score they receive.
  4. Nov 30, 2012
    They've made a great game even better. I'm pleasantly surprised with how awesome all the changes to the game they've made have turned out (Chie's new voice actress aside). You can tell Atlus really cares about their fans when you realize just how much new stuff they put in the game. New content, characters, systems, streamlining, cool (and actually super useful) online feature wouldThey've made a great game even better. I'm pleasantly surprised with how awesome all the changes to the game they've made have turned out (Chie's new voice actress aside). You can tell Atlus really cares about their fans when you realize just how much new stuff they put in the game. New content, characters, systems, streamlining, cool (and actually super useful) online feature would have been more than enough but they went the extra mile and included video and music unlocks so that you can re-watch any cutscene, view live concert footage of your favorite P4 and P3 songs, watch trailers and more. If you've played P4 before play again and enjoy the new features, if you haven't get ready for one of the best games of the decade. On a side note I was lucky enough to get a hold of the premium edition and recommend anyone even slightly interested in it to try and pick it up. The clam shell face cover is super cool and sturdy and unintentionally works as a nice stand. The hard pouch also looks cool and accommodates the vita with the face cover perfectly while holding 3 vita cards. Expand
  5. Nov 21, 2012
    i dont write reviews much, but this game is too awesome not to review it
    i played persona 3 fes on psp and loves the crap out of it, but persona 4 is even better
    dont know how they managed it, all i know is that ima spend countless hours playing this
    this is the reason to get vita lol
  6. Jan 1, 2016
    I can't believe how insanely good this game is! The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, there is not alot of game with vocal music for normal battle theme! This game in my opinion has the best cast of character of all time, you will like them all! I was really sad when the game ended, i stated a new game immediately, when i finished the game the first time, i have over 300 hours overI can't believe how insanely good this game is! The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, there is not alot of game with vocal music for normal battle theme! This game in my opinion has the best cast of character of all time, you will like them all! I was really sad when the game ended, i stated a new game immediately, when i finished the game the first time, i have over 300 hours over multiple playthough, this game has so much dialogue, every time you start a new game it still feel fresh! Everyone that play this game should try to avoid spoiler at all cost! What a fantastic game, easily my favorite game of all time with SO4. Expand
  7. Jun 2, 2013
    Best game of all time! Persona 4: Golden has everything you can hope from a videogame. It takes a weeks, months or even years to see everything that Persona 4: Golden has to offer. Buy this game!
  8. Nov 30, 2012
    Atlus never fails to impress with the Persona series. I loved Persona 4 on PS2, but I always felt like the story and characters were slightly better in Persona 3, especially in later FES and Portable versions. But with P4G, Atlus has managed to add greater depth to every element of a game that, by all rights, was already a modern RPG masterpiece. There's a lot more to do, fromAtlus never fails to impress with the Persona series. I loved Persona 4 on PS2, but I always felt like the story and characters were slightly better in Persona 3, especially in later FES and Portable versions. But with P4G, Atlus has managed to add greater depth to every element of a game that, by all rights, was already a modern RPG masterpiece. There's a lot more to do, from mini-games to new Social Links, and even if you've beaten the original, the new story content will often make you doubt what you think you know from previous playthroughs. There's no greater RPG experience to be found on Vita, period. Expand
  9. Nov 20, 2012
    I just started playing this game today and it is amazing! The style is so entertaining, the story is great and the music is some of the best music ever in any game. It is a must play!
  10. Jul 11, 2013
    I never played a Persona before, closest I've got was Devil Survivor Overclocked on the 3DS which wasn't a great hit for me, tbh. But this is dang. Definitely one of the best, if not the very best, J-RPG I've ever played.
  11. Mar 10, 2013
    Great recreation of an all time classic, with a lot of new features. This game is probably the best jrpg you will ever play, by itself more than enough reason to buy a vita
  12. Apr 7, 2013
    Never have I experienced such a fulfilling game in all my 14 years of gaming. With an 80+ hour completion time, several types of gameplay, and impeccable storytelling & characters, I'm genuinely shocked this colossal game is a mere 3.1 GB. It's an RPG, but the choices you make have a much larger outcome in the end than what is conventional. You can choose from multiple jobs, hobbies,Never have I experienced such a fulfilling game in all my 14 years of gaming. With an 80+ hour completion time, several types of gameplay, and impeccable storytelling & characters, I'm genuinely shocked this colossal game is a mere 3.1 GB. It's an RPG, but the choices you make have a much larger outcome in the end than what is conventional. You can choose from multiple jobs, hobbies, girlfriends (or boyfriend, I think), friends, extracurricular activities, sports, books, weapons... the list goes on and on. Cinematics make me feel happy at times and sad at others, I'm sincerely worried about the characters (this may have to do with how much time is spent with them), and it almost feels like I have a complete other life. I was weary of buying this t first, because it honestly looked kind of stupid (a Japanese RPG where you go to school? Really?), but Christ almighty was I ever wrong about that. This is by far the best PSV exclusive I've ever played, and the best PSV title period behind Snake Eater. And at the lower-than-regular price of $29.99, you're really getting your full money's worth. Expand
  13. Sep 2, 2016
    There are two distinct, but linked, elements that make up Persona 4's gameplay. Around 40% of your time will be spent traversing the randomly generated dungeons and defeating enemies in old school turn based battles, the rest of your time is spent going to school, meeting friends and generally trying to make social connections with people. The stronger the connections you make with peopleThere are two distinct, but linked, elements that make up Persona 4's gameplay. Around 40% of your time will be spent traversing the randomly generated dungeons and defeating enemies in old school turn based battles, the rest of your time is spent going to school, meeting friends and generally trying to make social connections with people. The stronger the connections you make with people the stronger your 'persona's' (creatures that help you fight the battles) can become.

To be honest you have little, if any, say in the way conversations go when making these social connections but most of the characters stories are interesting and well written enough that you'll want to see how they pan out anyway. The same can be said of the central plot that, after a slow opening couple of hours, had me hooked right up until the final credits rolled..

The time spent in the dungeons won't appeal to anyone that dislikes the turn based battles found in games like the older Final Fantasy titles but the variety of enemies, each with different strengths and weaknesses, and ability to constantly upgrade and adapt your abilities by creating new personas certainly kept me entertained.

It took me a little over 65 hours to complete Persona 4 and, while it had started to become a little repetitive by the end (what game doesn't after that long?), I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it and will certainly be keeping an eye out for the soon to be released sequel.
  14. Nov 24, 2012
    currently the only reason to own a vita. This game takes the ps2 version and just improves everything. Nothing was taken out and even more stuff put in. More Links, more personas, more cutscreens, more voice acting, more everything.
  15. Feb 28, 2013
    Ok, let me start by saying traditional turn based RPGs are some of the games I'm most intolerant to, as I find them boring and can't go beyond 1/3 of the game before passing. I'm more of an action/adventure kind of guy, and coming from this background I can testify that this game is great. Don't know if it's the characters' charm, the well structured combat system or that pokemon "youOk, let me start by saying traditional turn based RPGs are some of the games I'm most intolerant to, as I find them boring and can't go beyond 1/3 of the game before passing. I'm more of an action/adventure kind of guy, and coming from this background I can testify that this game is great. Don't know if it's the characters' charm, the well structured combat system or that pokemon "you gotta catch em' all" feeling that kept pushing me forward (even in the most tedious parts), but I've spent around a 100 hours playing and I'm seriously considering a second playthrough. Though I never played the original PS2 version, I've looked into all they changes they made for the VITA instalment and I'm shocked!! the additions merge so well with the original content that I can't believe the original version lacked them..... yes, it's that polished... and yes, it makes the original version seem incomplete in comparison. If you're like me and have serious reservations about this game because of your gaming background, do yourself a favor and at least rent it. Even if you don't completely dig the gameplay, if you're a fan of anime, chances are you're still gonna like the game anyways. Expand
  16. Dec 9, 2012
    First time I played Persona 4 on PS2. It was my first Persona game from Shin Megami Tensei series. And I liked it a lot. It was a rare case when I wanted to keep playing a very long RPG game and did not feel tired or bored over some time. Plus it felt totally different from all CPRG games I've played before. Persona 4 Golden brings a little bit more content carefully integrated intoFirst time I played Persona 4 on PS2. It was my first Persona game from Shin Megami Tensei series. And I liked it a lot. It was a rare case when I wanted to keep playing a very long RPG game and did not feel tired or bored over some time. Plus it felt totally different from all CPRG games I've played before. Persona 4 Golden brings a little bit more content carefully integrated into original story, nice story closure (in case of True Ending), 'very easy' mode that allows to enjoy the game without excessive grinding. Persona 4 Golden was the third time I played Persona 4. And, I think, not the last one! Expand
  17. Dec 31, 2012
    To start, I HATE turn-based RPGs... especially JRPGs. I tried... I really tried to get into the Final Fantasy series but failed. The turn based system really drives me nuts. That being said, I own a PS Vita and realized quickly that it was a paper weight due to the lack of good titles on the Vita (Major prayers for 2013). Due to all of the reviews for this game I cracked down and boughtTo start, I HATE turn-based RPGs... especially JRPGs. I tried... I really tried to get into the Final Fantasy series but failed. The turn based system really drives me nuts. That being said, I own a PS Vita and realized quickly that it was a paper weight due to the lack of good titles on the Vita (Major prayers for 2013). Due to all of the reviews for this game I cracked down and bought it, and I can't believe I dished out 40 bones for a JRPG... actually, I take that back, I can now believe it. I am only 4 hours into this game, and yes the intro was 2 hours long, but I have to say, I am completely hooked. I am a below casual gamer, meaning, I play maybe twice a month, and I am bringing my Vita to work just to play this on my lunch. Yes, I am 34 years old and taking a PS Vita to work. I don't care. This story is addicting and the gameplay is actually really innovative (Can I say that for a game that was made years ago?). Buy it, get through the intro. Just expect a 2 hour intro when you buy it and you will like it. Just know the intro is necessary for the game. LOVE IT! Expand
  18. Apr 17, 2013
    Keep in mind that I never played a persona game before. However, I love turn based rpgs. And yes, I realize that this game was made in 2008.

Personally I find much of the game mechanics namely the "sim" part tedious and the game was way too long for its own good. The game expects you to get along and get to know these characters as strong as your friends. However, These characters were two dimensional and uninteresting. Many of the plot points were obvious making the reveal of the mystery feel unsatisfying. Many of the abilities and spells' names were too complicated. I wish the naming of each ability was short and was straight to the point. For example Bufu ice?, agi fire??? The progression in the beggining dragged on and felt slow. Then all of the sudden throws many options of what you can do to spend your time all at once. I also, dislike games that rushes me to do things at a certain date such as majora's mask.

Things I liked
    I liked the abilities that used hp as if it was mana. Being able to Down enemies and follow up with an all-out-attack. I also liked the "1 more" function as well.
  19. Feb 21, 2013
    When I heard a kickass RPG was coming to the Vita I was ecstatic, especially since it is an area that needed filling in the Vita's library. I watched reviews, felt the buzz of the USA and of the Japanese audience; then finally I gave in and imported it and this is my review of the game. Will it be Golden or will it be the coal in your stockings?

The Verdict: Persona 4 Golden takes one

The Verdict: Persona 4 Golden takes one of the best RPG's of all time and makes it even better, adding hours of bonus content for the player to enjoy. This is a highly recommended purchase and is one of the most enjoyable games of the last year. It is definitely worth buying for those dedicated Vita owners. Over 80 90 hours for the first play through of the game, which is great for those who search for longevity in a game, but it might be daunting to those who wish to sink in less hours as the game has a quite slow start. Interesting Combat that keeps your mind constantly thinking of how to stratergise. School life has never been so fun Great Voice acting, Witty Dialogue and effective social links and stories. Addictive, be sure you haven't forgotten to go to work or school
    ! Not enough explanation of the fusion system for beginners Great, catchy tunes to nod along with as you play GAME STATUS: MUST BUY Game Score: 10/10 GOLDEN
  20. May 22, 2013
    This is the first Persona game I have ever played all the way through and I must say that I am absolutely obsessed with this game. It has a massive amount of story and dialogue without being boring and the turn based battle system has a more lively feel to it than rpgs of old. If you like amazing games then this is for you.
  21. Feb 25, 2014
    This is RPG brilliance. Fantastic gameplay complimented by an intriguing story and characters put together in a beautiful-to-look-at anime style make this easily the the best game available on the Vita to date. It should come with a warning label due to how addictive it can be.
  22. Jan 26, 2013
    The best vita game.Great gameplay,graphics and a lot of things to do.A must buy for everyone how has or wants to buy a vita. Everything about this game is perfection.
  23. Dec 14, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is a phenomenal game.

The characters are incredible, memorable and amazingly written and voiced. The story carries throughout the 75+ adventure, with some amazing twists and exciting developments. Combat is strategic and challenging... I could rattle on and on about P4G, but I won't. You can see, along with tons of other customers and fans, that P4G is a
    Persona 4 Golden is a phenomenal game.

I could rattle on and on about P4G, but I won't. You can see, along with tons of other customers and fans, that P4G is a masterpiece.

Absolutely a masterpiece.
  24. Nov 23, 2012
    In hard mode this game is amazing, your have to be very tactical and cant make a wrong move, I like challenging games like this. The music is great, my favourite is "back of the TV", and "Magatsu Inaba" theme. The story is excellent, its one of those games where you keep going even into the night, just for the story. i dont want to ruin if for you, but I will just say the story is on theIn hard mode this game is amazing, your have to be very tactical and cant make a wrong move, I like challenging games like this. The music is great, my favourite is "back of the TV", and "Magatsu Inaba" theme. The story is excellent, its one of those games where you keep going even into the night, just for the story. i dont want to ruin if for you, but I will just say the story is on the same level as "Death Note" and "Gladiator" . I thought the social link system is very unique, it made me feel like I am the character. Buy this game, and you wont regret it. 10/10. Expand
  25. Nov 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Definitely a well developed game with major enhancements, providing hours and hours of content ofr any Persona fan to enjoy! There is so much to talk about this game but I would like to focus on the characters, story, and music. The characters are clearly 3 dimensional, each having their flaws and inner selves they don't want to show to people. You feel like there's something about them that you didn't realize when you see them at first hand. However, getting to the inner core of the human psyche, it's quite fascinating. Next, story. Story is perhaps the most important thing when it comes to Persona games. It starts off with a transfer student from the city moves to Inaba for a year and finds out there is something going in Inaba. Murders happening when the fog appears. Then everything builds off that and really goes into depth the story and each character has their own part to share, even the protagonist. Finally, the music. The music has some new additions. Way different from the original Persona 4 but once I got to listening to the soundtrack, it was really enjoyable. Really liked how they didn't try to rearrange the score throughout the majority of the game. I would recommend this game to any JRPG player who needs something to do for a while. Expand
  26. Nov 26, 2012
    One of the best console experiences bought to a handheld with great enhancements and extras, Persona 4 is a fantastic JRPG that will last you at least 50 hours of quality gameplay.

Many of annoyances from the PS2 version has been fixed, both minor and major, the additional content add tons of replayability too. A few minor gripes; Chie Satonaka's new voice actress doesn't sound

A few minor gripes; Chie Satonaka's new voice actress doesn't sound nearly as good as her original voice actress, Tracey Rooney wasn't fantastic, but to me Erin Fitzgerald just doesn't sound right as Chie.

Overall, Persona 4 Golden is a must have if you own a PS Vita and have even a slight interest in JRPGs or just Shin Megami Tensei fans in general. This game gets a 9 from me because I do not believe in perfect scores.
  27. Nov 21, 2012
    I picked this game up based on positive reviews. The way the game was described made me very interested. I loved my PS1 and PS2 because of all of the wonderful JRPG games. When I had a PS1, I picked up Final Fantasy IX and thought it was the best one in the series and enjoyed it even more that FFVII! It is sad that so many others missed this game because it was released when the PS2 wasI picked this game up based on positive reviews. The way the game was described made me very interested. I loved my PS1 and PS2 because of all of the wonderful JRPG games. When I had a PS1, I picked up Final Fantasy IX and thought it was the best one in the series and enjoyed it even more that FFVII! It is sad that so many others missed this game because it was released when the PS2 was already out. The same is true for Persona 4 I guess. It was released in 2008, long after I even thought about my PS2. I am grateful that they decided to remaster and re-release this amazing game. I am about 4 hours in and I had trouble putting it down. It is epic. The game is a combination of traditional turn based strategy, anime cartoon story, and scooby doo style mystery solving. Another all time favorite game of mine is Shenmue and this game shares some of the best elements of that game for me. You get to explore town, have social interaction with others, go to shops, and everything is based on time, so when you go back to your house, you end the day by going to sleep in your bed. The game constantly gives you decisions to make that will affect the outcome of the game kind of like mass effect. This could encourage me to replay the game very easily. The graphics aren't as impressive as uncharted for the vita or other games of that caliber, but it is pretty because of the art style. Kind of how World of Warcraft was able to stand the test of time without looking very dated. The anime cutscenes also look great on the Vita's sharp screen. Finally, I will talk about the audio. There is already a massive amount of voice acting I have come across and haven't even scratched the surface from what I understand. (I hear it can take up to 100 hours to play through the game if you take your time). And the music is soooooo catchy!!! I listen to mostly rock and hate pop, but this J Pop that they play is great! You know it is good if you start humming the songs in your head. All in all, I am impressed so much that I put down the game to write my opinion on this game. That says a lot. I cannot stress enough how much you should play this game. Go buy it! Expand
  28. Feb 22, 2013
    I haven't played the original game but hearing how much praise it got I bought this game (At a very high price in my country) and it still doesn't feel like I wasted any kind of money, this game not only was good, it sets the definition of good! This is one of the best games I've played in my entire life and, at the moment, is my number 1 favorite game.

It has unique concept, it

It has unique concept, it involves supernatural activity (That might not be a plus for you but for me it is!), The characters are charismatic and interesting in many levels, the aesthetic design looks cool and the HD uplift makes it virtually ageless, the story is interesting, gives you emotional weight and most importantly for a game narrative the events are driven by the actions of the main character controlled by the PLAYER! something many JRPGs and indeed many games in general ignore.

And it's addictive too, collecting personas, finishing quests, developing relationships, and a large ETC. makes this a game not only to replay once or twice. It's the sort of thing meant to be conserved until Armageddon strikes!
  29. Mar 20, 2014
    I never had the chance to play P4 on PS2. I first picked up Persona 2 for PSP on Vita and really liked it so i decided to give a go on the others too. So i bought P4G and a new era of JRPG loving started for me. This game is so deep both on a gameplay and a storytelling level that it made me wanna finish it 100% and do everything, a thing that i didn't usually do with JRPGs. It is aI never had the chance to play P4 on PS2. I first picked up Persona 2 for PSP on Vita and really liked it so i decided to give a go on the others too. So i bought P4G and a new era of JRPG loving started for me. This game is so deep both on a gameplay and a storytelling level that it made me wanna finish it 100% and do everything, a thing that i didn't usually do with JRPGs. It is a unique masterpiece among its kind that will be in the top ten games for years to come. Its a must for JRPG and anime fans, so don't hesitate. I cant wait for Persona 5!!!! I hope is as good or better but P4 has set the bar to high. Expand
  30. Jan 17, 2013
    Unfortunately much easier than the original. Part of the fun of the original game was the difficulty of the major bosses and especially the final boss. This game managed to make it even easier to level up and dominate every single boss. I loved overwhelmingly the new additions to the game, but not a lowering of the difficulty.

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 4, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]