• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.2

1. Nov 20, 2012
    The Persona franchise after 3 has seen re-release after re-release. First it was P3, then P3:FES, then P3P, then P4, now P4G. Every time they release a new one, they become that much closer to perfecting their gameplay formula.

P4 is one of the greatest games of all time, with an incredible story and polish. The Golden improves on this formula once again, by adding a large amount of content, improving the visuals, and slapping it on the vita. If you have a vita, buy this game. Atlus is the best publisher/developer, and they deserve every penny and high metacritic score they receive.
  2. Nov 20, 2012
    Least-hyped of the holiday season Vita releases, Persona 4 Golden is by far the best game available for the system. Atlus has refined their formula to a razor-sharp perfection, and calling it a Director's Cut would only short-change the work that has gone into this 2008 PS2 game. The changes aren't just cosmetic either; fundamental inclusions have been made (Rise assists in combat, theLeast-hyped of the holiday season Vita releases, Persona 4 Golden is by far the best game available for the system. Atlus has refined their formula to a razor-sharp perfection, and calling it a Director's Cut would only short-change the work that has gone into this 2008 PS2 game. The changes aren't just cosmetic either; fundamental inclusions have been made (Rise assists in combat, the shuffle system is more in-depth, new events, social link, and areas, scooters!).

The game does start slowly, with a couple hours of setting and plot establishment before the first gameplay kicks in. After that, nothing gets old, and the battery often ran out before I was finished with a session. If you own a Vita, you need to buy this game. If you don't own a Vita, Persona 4 Golden makes a (possibly the first) compelling case as it is also easily the best RPG of the season, and a serious contender for best JRPG in existence.
  3. Nov 26, 2012
    This game is amazing. I am thinking about quitting my job to play full time. I have never played any of the Persona games, I guess I am an idiot. The story is great, the graphics are gorgeous on the Vita, and the voice acting is pretty well done. The game is so detailed and there is so much to do that I almost need to make a calendar to keep track of all that is going on each day ofThis game is amazing. I am thinking about quitting my job to play full time. I have never played any of the Persona games, I guess I am an idiot. The story is great, the graphics are gorgeous on the Vita, and the voice acting is pretty well done. The game is so detailed and there is so much to do that I almost need to make a calendar to keep track of all that is going on each day of the week. If you have a Vita and enjoy RPGs you need to get this....NOW! Expand
  4. Nov 20, 2012
    A perfect recreation of an all time classic, with amazing extra features this is something you don't want too miss, defs the reason to own a vita for those yet to pick one up.
  5. Jan 18, 2013
    This is the best RPG i have played in a very long time. If you do not play this you are truly missing out, this game brings RPG's back to old school turn based fighting system while incorporating decision making to influence the story much like in Dragons age or The Elder scrolls Games. It is sure to quickly make its way into your heart as one of the best games you ever play with itsThis is the best RPG i have played in a very long time. If you do not play this you are truly missing out, this game brings RPG's back to old school turn based fighting system while incorporating decision making to influence the story much like in Dragons age or The Elder scrolls Games. It is sure to quickly make its way into your heart as one of the best games you ever play with its dark story telling and adult situations. I give this game a 9.8 out of 10. :) Expand
  6. Dec 31, 2012
    To start, I HATE turn-based RPGs... especially JRPGs. I tried... I really tried to get into the Final Fantasy series but failed. The turn based system really drives me nuts. That being said, I own a PS Vita and realized quickly that it was a paper weight due to the lack of good titles on the Vita (Major prayers for 2013). Due to all of the reviews for this game I cracked down and boughtTo start, I HATE turn-based RPGs... especially JRPGs. I tried... I really tried to get into the Final Fantasy series but failed. The turn based system really drives me nuts. That being said, I own a PS Vita and realized quickly that it was a paper weight due to the lack of good titles on the Vita (Major prayers for 2013). Due to all of the reviews for this game I cracked down and bought it, and I can't believe I dished out 40 bones for a JRPG... actually, I take that back, I can now believe it. I am only 4 hours into this game, and yes the intro was 2 hours long, but I have to say, I am completely hooked. I am a below casual gamer, meaning, I play maybe twice a month, and I am bringing my Vita to work just to play this on my lunch. Yes, I am 34 years old and taking a PS Vita to work. I don't care. This story is addicting and the gameplay is actually really innovative (Can I say that for a game that was made years ago?). Buy it, get through the intro. Just expect a 2 hour intro when you buy it and you will like it. Just know the intro is necessary for the game. LOVE IT! Expand
  7. Feb 27, 2013
    I took me a while to realize this, but I have come to the conclusion that this is my favourite game of all time. I try not to say that without thinking it through but there is so much love put into this title it hurts. You can play it for hours so immersed you will forget there was ever a world to go back to. Everything screams story, gameplay, art, perfection. It's golden. I know it isI took me a while to realize this, but I have come to the conclusion that this is my favourite game of all time. I try not to say that without thinking it through but there is so much love put into this title it hurts. You can play it for hours so immersed you will forget there was ever a world to go back to. Everything screams story, gameplay, art, perfection. It's golden. I know it is hard throwing down 200+ dollars on a Persona machine, but now after playing the game twice with 70 something hours. for me it makes sense. I really want you random guy/girl reading this to get this game it deserves to be played. Expand
  8. Nov 25, 2012
    Persona 4 Golden is an incredible game! Amazing visuals and story make this a difficult game to put down. Not to mention, the music is very catchy and fits the overall feel of the game perfectly.
  9. Feb 16, 2013
    WOW!! How does Atlus make a remastered remake better than the original game which was already great. I completely stunned by how good this remake is, it's definitely a must own to any Vita owners. I've always been a fan of the persona series, especially starting from persona 2. Not only does this game meets the hype but somehow significantly surpasses my expectations.
    - Gameplay The
    - Gameplay The gameplay mechanics are still the same as the original but Atlus added a couple of new functions to deepen the experience. They added 2 new difficulties (Very Easy and Very Hard) and have the option to change the rules and settings of it once you beaten the game. They added more rewards for doing social links with others especially with your teammates because they give you social link skills if you hit a certain rank. And Atlus added two new social links into the game, Marie and Adachi, both of which are interesting and have an interesting conclusion. Because of social link skills and abilities Rise is a lot more useful in this one than the original. She was only used for scanning, treasure location, and enemy locations but now she can protect you from fatal blows (once every battle), heal your HP and SP, gives you stat buffs, and can charge you up. There were lots of times when I shouted in happiness when Rise saved my butt. There are so much things to say about this game but I don't have a lot of spaces to write all of it. 10/10
    - Graphics The graphics are HD remastered, the characters are much clearer and nice to looks at. The animation cut scenes gets a HD remaster and they added new cut scenes with the new events. The visuals are a lot more colourful and pretty to look at (sometimes too colourful 10/10
    -Story The story is basically the same as the original except you get more events, two new endings, and two new characters. The story was always a hit and miss for me but it's the characters that really makes love the game. I actually felt like I was the main protagonist and the friends were believable and likeable too. 9/10
    - Sound The music is always catchy and upbeat as ever! And they also added new music which in my surprised made the game even more epic and enjoyable to play. The new Teddie voice actor did a great job in sounding like the original Teddie. Now the new Chie voice actor is a pass for me... just a pass (if I had to give her a score it would be 5/10) I mean sure she sounds like an annoying brat. The voice isn't actually bad, just badly timed voice acting. Though I do prefer the old Chie since that was the one I heard first. 10/10
    - Lasting Appeal It was GREAT!!! TV listing was a great addition, new events, gardening, the extra two months of free time, the funny 8-bit boss theme, and many more. I felt completely satisfied with the remake. 10/10 Of course this game isn't perfect and it is definitely has a few bugs but the goods significantly outweighs the bad points. It's actually one of the biggest reason I bought a Vita other than Gravity Rush. I would totally recommended it to anyone who is a fan of JRPG, Character-driven story, and who loves anime.
  10. Apr 15, 2013
    I brought this game after going to the store for no ni kuni and coming to the conclusion that it was sold out. I never played a persona game before, but i read some positive reviews about Persona 4 golden and was in the mood for a good JRPG. Now we are 3 weeks further and it's finished. I've spend nearly 85 hours on my first playtrough, and it was worth every second. Persona reallyI brought this game after going to the store for no ni kuni and coming to the conclusion that it was sold out. I never played a persona game before, but i read some positive reviews about Persona 4 golden and was in the mood for a good JRPG. Now we are 3 weeks further and it's finished. I've spend nearly 85 hours on my first playtrough, and it was worth every second. Persona really sucked me up in his world. Never did i care more about game characters. I almost felt like a teen again, One of the best things about this game is the feeling that everything you do really ads to your character. the social-sim part of the game is great. You can interact with lot's of people in the game and you can develop several social links, deeper relations with other characters. Most of them are quite interesting and add to the main story.

The dungeon's in the game are beautifull and various. The batlle system is just deep enough to stay interesting. Getting better persona by fusing them is really great. The story makes that you want to go further. the game has a cool style, after some hours you will defenetly fall in love. Cutscenes are stunning and give you the feeling that you have accomplished something.

Playing this on the vita really changed my relationship with the console I brought it at launch, and i was already quite happy with the titles that appeared on it. This game only made the bound much stronger, for three weeks it was my closest companion (to despair of my girlfriend)

For me this game is one love letter to gaming in general. It made me feel great, sometimes sad, other times messed up. It made me love Japanese games again. Directly after finishing this i brought persona 3. For a guy with the bad habbit of not finishing his RPG's because there's always something else to play, I think this proves how good this game was for me. And now let's pray for Persona 5 also coming out on the vita (i wouldn't want to miss the pause function for the dungeon segments).
  11. Jun 24, 2013
    This new rendition of a great classic, became the GREATEST one to date. Everything. I mean everything, that I wanted from an RPG game is here. I could never stress out how much I'm astonished by playing this... "thing" (is it a port? is it a remake? I can't describe its uniqueness). By all means, this game is legendary on all levels and attained a better position than its PS2 counterpart.This new rendition of a great classic, became the GREATEST one to date. Everything. I mean everything, that I wanted from an RPG game is here. I could never stress out how much I'm astonished by playing this... "thing" (is it a port? is it a remake? I can't describe its uniqueness). By all means, this game is legendary on all levels and attained a better position than its PS2 counterpart. With all the new features such as the "online mode" stacked into one already-great game, this updated version is worth my every buck. In short, I got more than what I paid for. Expand
  12. Nov 26, 2012
    One of the best console experiences bought to a handheld with great enhancements and extras, Persona 4 is a fantastic JRPG that will last you at least 50 hours of quality gameplay.

Many of annoyances from the PS2 version has been fixed, both minor and major, the additional content add tons of replayability too. A few minor gripes; Chie Satonaka's new voice actress doesn't sound

A few minor gripes; Chie Satonaka's new voice actress doesn't sound nearly as good as her original voice actress, Tracey Rooney wasn't fantastic, but to me Erin Fitzgerald just doesn't sound right as Chie.

Overall, Persona 4 Golden is a must have if you own a PS Vita and have even a slight interest in JRPGs or just Shin Megami Tensei fans in general. This game gets a 9 from me because I do not believe in perfect scores.
  13. Feb 27, 2013
    We're now a year into Vita's life-cycle, and Sony has built up a pretty robust library of standout games for it's latest handheld system. Indeed, the likes of Gravity Rush, LittleBigPlanet, Rayman Origins and Uncharted: Golden Abyss have clearly demonstrated the massive potential that Vita promises. While upcoming titles such as Killzone: Mercenary, Soul Sacrifice and Tearaway, look set toWe're now a year into Vita's life-cycle, and Sony has built up a pretty robust library of standout games for it's latest handheld system. Indeed, the likes of Gravity Rush, LittleBigPlanet, Rayman Origins and Uncharted: Golden Abyss have clearly demonstrated the massive potential that Vita promises. While upcoming titles such as Killzone: Mercenary, Soul Sacrifice and Tearaway, look set to only build on the foundations laid down by those great games. And now, three months later than our North American friends, Persona 4: Golden has finally arrived on European shores. And boy was it worth the wait. Altus' sublime J-RPG blows every one of those previously mentioned titles clean out of the water, staking it's claim as Vita's finest game to date in the process. With a ton of user reviews here on Metacritic already, I won't bore you by going into all the why's and wherefore's, but I will say this: don't waste any more precious time, just get yourself down to your nearest game retailer and grab yourself a copy of Persona 4 Golden today (or, if your memory card can handle it's hefty 3.2GB filesize, maybe even download it directly from the SCEE digital store like I did). So what are you waiting for? What's that, not got a Vita? Get one! This is the best excuse yet to get a Vita, and it's first true system seller. And it's an absolute belter! 10 out of 10 all day long. Expand
  14. Jul 6, 2013
    This game is an experience.
    I have always liked the persona series, and I won't lie, I didn't think this was going to top Persona 3/FES/P3P...
    I was wrong. This game has an intense and engaging storyline that had me hooked, playing this game into the small (and large) hours of the night. I clocked nearly 60 hours on my first playthrough and went back for more. The battle system and
    This game is an experience.
    I was wrong.

The battle system and story are great, but the real surprise comes from the social system. Half of the game is played as a (relativley) normal high schooler filling his days with activities and friends it can get so absorbing and interesting I had marathons of this game where I would go well over five or six hours without fighting anything completely absorbed into the game.

This game is a hands-down must play. If the art and culture style of the game don't seem your type, and you skip this game solely on looks you are missing out in a once-in-a-console-generation experience.

I would go as far as saying this game alone justifies the purchase of a Playstation Vita.
  15. Aug 24, 2013
    Let me start off be saying that I typically do not care for JRPGs, but this game that I thought might take several months to beat is so deep, so well-voiced and so content-rich that I couldn't put it down, plowing through the whole story (70 hours or so) in just a few weeks.

Any game that can make you excited about reading a book or attending basketball practice must be doing something right. The voice actors are phenomenal. The dungeon-crawling gameplay is challenging but fair (with a few minor but completely unavoidable exceptions). The story can be a little absurd at times, but it is a hell of a lot of fun to work through.

This game is an absolute must-play for anyone, regardless of your preferences. If you have a Vita and haven't played this game yet, you're doing things wrong.
  16. Jul 5, 2013
    Never before have I become so invested in an rpg, everything about this game reeks of style and charm, It is hard to explain the emotional impact of persona 4, that I think is the games greatest strength, if you have any anti-anime bias, its time to get over it, because you are missing out on a true classic...
  17. Jun 17, 2013
    The only JRPG I've tried was Final Fantasy and I hated it. I was running low on Vita games, so I gave this game a shot.
    This game is superb in all aspects, especially on gameplay. It's so fun and addictive. I've had it just for the weekend and already spent over 7 hours. Graphics is OK, nothing special, but still the game gets a high score from me.

Very recommended for all Vita owners!
  18. Nov 30, 2012
    They've made a great game even better. I'm pleasantly surprised with how awesome all the changes to the game they've made have turned out (Chie's new voice actress aside). You can tell Atlus really cares about their fans when you realize just how much new stuff they put in the game. New content, characters, systems, streamlining, cool (and actually super useful) online feature wouldThey've made a great game even better. I'm pleasantly surprised with how awesome all the changes to the game they've made have turned out (Chie's new voice actress aside). You can tell Atlus really cares about their fans when you realize just how much new stuff they put in the game. New content, characters, systems, streamlining, cool (and actually super useful) online feature would have been more than enough but they went the extra mile and included video and music unlocks so that you can re-watch any cutscene, view live concert footage of your favorite P4 and P3 songs, watch trailers and more. If you've played P4 before play again and enjoy the new features, if you haven't get ready for one of the best games of the decade. On a side note I was lucky enough to get a hold of the premium edition and recommend anyone even slightly interested in it to try and pick it up. The clam shell face cover is super cool and sturdy and unintentionally works as a nice stand. The hard pouch also looks cool and accommodates the vita with the face cover perfectly while holding 3 vita cards. Expand
  19. Jul 11, 2013
    I never played a Persona before, closest I've got was Devil Survivor Overclocked on the 3DS which wasn't a great hit for me, tbh. But this is dang. Definitely one of the best, if not the very best, J-RPG I've ever played.
  20. Apr 7, 2013
    Never have I experienced such a fulfilling game in all my 14 years of gaming. With an 80+ hour completion time, several types of gameplay, and impeccable storytelling & characters, I'm genuinely shocked this colossal game is a mere 3.1 GB. It's an RPG, but the choices you make have a much larger outcome in the end than what is conventional. You can choose from multiple jobs, hobbies,Never have I experienced such a fulfilling game in all my 14 years of gaming. With an 80+ hour completion time, several types of gameplay, and impeccable storytelling & characters, I'm genuinely shocked this colossal game is a mere 3.1 GB. It's an RPG, but the choices you make have a much larger outcome in the end than what is conventional. You can choose from multiple jobs, hobbies, girlfriends (or boyfriend, I think), friends, extracurricular activities, sports, books, weapons... the list goes on and on. Cinematics make me feel happy at times and sad at others, I'm sincerely worried about the characters (this may have to do with how much time is spent with them), and it almost feels like I have a complete other life. I was weary of buying this t first, because it honestly looked kind of stupid (a Japanese RPG where you go to school? Really?), but Christ almighty was I ever wrong about that. This is by far the best PSV exclusive I've ever played, and the best PSV title period behind Snake Eater. And at the lower-than-regular price of $29.99, you're really getting your full money's worth. Expand
  21. Dec 9, 2012
    First time I played Persona 4 on PS2. It was my first Persona game from Shin Megami Tensei series. And I liked it a lot. It was a rare case when I wanted to keep playing a very long RPG game and did not feel tired or bored over some time. Plus it felt totally different from all CPRG games I've played before. Persona 4 Golden brings a little bit more content carefully integrated intoFirst time I played Persona 4 on PS2. It was my first Persona game from Shin Megami Tensei series. And I liked it a lot. It was a rare case when I wanted to keep playing a very long RPG game and did not feel tired or bored over some time. Plus it felt totally different from all CPRG games I've played before. Persona 4 Golden brings a little bit more content carefully integrated into original story, nice story closure (in case of True Ending), 'very easy' mode that allows to enjoy the game without excessive grinding. Persona 4 Golden was the third time I played Persona 4. And, I think, not the last one! Expand
  22. May 22, 2013
    This is the first Persona game I have ever played all the way through and I must say that I am absolutely obsessed with this game. It has a massive amount of story and dialogue without being boring and the turn based battle system has a more lively feel to it than rpgs of old. If you like amazing games then this is for you.
  23. Jan 26, 2013
    The best vita game.Great gameplay,graphics and a lot of things to do.A must buy for everyone how has or wants to buy a vita. Everything about this game is perfection.
  24. Dec 14, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is a phenomenal game.

The characters are incredible, memorable and amazingly written and voiced. The story carries throughout the 75+ adventure, with some amazing twists and exciting developments. Combat is strategic and challenging... I could rattle on and on about P4G, but I won't. You can see, along with tons of other customers and fans, that P4G is a
    Persona 4 Golden is a phenomenal game.

I could rattle on and on about P4G, but I won't. You can see, along with tons of other customers and fans, that P4G is a masterpiece.

Absolutely a masterpiece.
  25. Feb 22, 2013
    I haven't played the original game but hearing how much praise it got I bought this game (At a very high price in my country) and it still doesn't feel like I wasted any kind of money, this game not only was good, it sets the definition of good! This is one of the best games I've played in my entire life and, at the moment, is my number 1 favorite game.

It has unique concept, it

It has unique concept, it involves supernatural activity (That might not be a plus for you but for me it is!), The characters are charismatic and interesting in many levels, the aesthetic design looks cool and the HD uplift makes it virtually ageless, the story is interesting, gives you emotional weight and most importantly for a game narrative the events are driven by the actions of the main character controlled by the PLAYER! something many JRPGs and indeed many games in general ignore.

And it's addictive too, collecting personas, finishing quests, developing relationships, and a large ETC. makes this a game not only to replay once or twice. It's the sort of thing meant to be conserved until Armageddon strikes!
  26. Dec 5, 2012
    10. just 10. it actually beats the ps2 version. it will blow your mind. the voice acting is awesome and the story is to, my view of it is like poke'mon mixed with final fantasy but more complicated but more awesome.
  27. Jan 3, 2013
    First of all, I didn't play Persona 4 on the PS2. When the original game came out, I wasn't interested in turn based RPGs, or into Japanese games. The true is still the same today, but this is a game I've heard so much about that a friend got it for me for Christmas. Honestly, it's one of the most enjoyable games I've played since the Mass Effect series. I'm having issues putting the gameFirst of all, I didn't play Persona 4 on the PS2. When the original game came out, I wasn't interested in turn based RPGs, or into Japanese games. The true is still the same today, but this is a game I've heard so much about that a friend got it for me for Christmas. Honestly, it's one of the most enjoyable games I've played since the Mass Effect series. I'm having issues putting the game down.

I'm not going into the story much, but the story is addicting and I enjoy building my relationships with my friends. I honestly find that very addicting, and it's cool thinking of the possibilities of different outcomes with your friends depending on your choices. NOw the combat is nothing revolutionary as it's a turn based RPG, but it's satisfying and fun unlocking new attacks and Personas to use. Finally, my favorite aspect is how long the game is. There are so many ways to level up certain aspects that increase your friendships with the people around you, then you can work on your combat skills with all of your teammates. If you enjoy a long game with a good story and deep character development, then you have to check this game out.
  28. Feb 16, 2014
    A great addition to the series, the Persona spin-offs are fast becoming more noteworthy than the core SMT titles they are attached to. Golden is a remake of the PS2 classic of the same name, Persona 4. Any newcomers to the series will find 4 a much more forgiving entry to Persona games than 3. With a lighthearted story to contrast well with the darker portions of the plot as well asA great addition to the series, the Persona spin-offs are fast becoming more noteworthy than the core SMT titles they are attached to. Golden is a remake of the PS2 classic of the same name, Persona 4. Any newcomers to the series will find 4 a much more forgiving entry to Persona games than 3. With a lighthearted story to contrast well with the darker portions of the plot as well as gameplay you can feel like you have more control over, Persona 4 and the VITA port P4: Golden makes heavy effort to draw in new players in the series and does it well.

Combat is done turn-based style, with the twist from previous P3 entry in that you can control your allies' attacks and techniques if you so choose. This simple addition makes P4 a much more forgiving title to new players.

The story is engaging, with a strong focus on bonding with characters to help drive your investment in the world. Though it is a direct numerical sequel to the Persona spin-offs and makes a few references to older games, P4 still keeps the story open and accessible to new players.

One of the largest draws to me is since it is a port of a ps2 game, and a long one at that, the game feels sufficiently worth the money to get on the VITA. The biggest gripe I've had in a long time for hand held games lately has been the low playtime. P4 can take a very long time to complete if you allow yourself to get lost in it's depth, particularly with the leveling and social system.

If you have a VITA and wish to play a solid JRPG, then it is difficult for me to see how you can go wrong with P4: Golden.
  29. Apr 17, 2013
    Persona 4 is just brilliant. I loved the PS2 version an this one is even better! Honestly, I was afraid that new exclusive to VITA stuff would suck, but it is exactly the opposite. It is amazing how they fitted a brand new character to this game, without messing the story up. The soundtrack is beautiful with some new tracks and remixes.This one game fully justified buying a PS Vita console.
  30. Feb 25, 2013
    This Game is a masterpiece classic, from the amazing story that contains (psychology, philosophy, etc.) and grateful gameplay with sometime tedious mechanics for learn on how to use it, this game is flawless. I easily recommend this game to anyone that like RPG'S and adult games like Catherine (from the persona team), Virtual escape: last reward, Heavy Rain.

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]