7.9

1. Nov 7, 2012
    When I picked up Ragnarok Odyssey I had hoped to be once again engrossed in the same world that I
  2. Nov 24, 2013
    This game is really bad. Its not real full scale RPG like Final Fantasy or Skyrim or Witcher. Its just something like Monster Hunter, with lite RPG element and without something extra, that Monster Hunter have. Pros: nice music/graphic in taverns better control/handling than Monster Hunter Cons: really bad graphic in outdoor small outdoor arenas, practicaly just 1 or 2 ways to go

If you want anime where you just kill monsters and bosses, then its for you. If you want full RPG with open world, etc. then go away. Nothing to see here. Or just try demo for free on PSN Store and try it for self.
  3. Nov 16, 2012
    After playing this game for a couple hours i realized that RPG games just arent what they used to be. This game plays alot like a dungeon crawler without the dungeon. The maps are cheezy and repetitive. No voice overs except for the random "hiya" noises and the extremely boring town that seems alot like they werent that concerned about story or graphics but more concerned about battles which to me really weren't that good. I'd rather play Dungeon Hunter Alliance than play this game anymore and to me thats bad. Expand
  4. Mar 31, 2013
    Ragnarok Odyssey is more less a game than a mediocre experience of a button masher with slightly deliverd RPG elements and a non existent story. I would like to point out some of its flaws. First the item system. You collect items by finishing enemies, bosses, breaking crates and barrels, this is fine so far. BUT this is the ONLY WAY to get anything which becomes annoying if you have to beat the same boss for the FELT thousandth time, just to receive an OH so needed object.
    There is no shop, no other way to achieve very needed items for upgrading or refining.
    Even when you buy NEW equipment, you NEED the listed items, just to BUY the wanted equipment, this is not right and feels so dumb and awkward.

For example:
    You want to buy Z Armor, but when you go to the trader, it says: "I need item W, X and Y and of course it costs you additionally 10000 zeny."
    WHY, WHY do I have to, as a customer of that trader, get the needed materials myself??? THAT defeats the purpose!!!
    Imagine (in real life now) you buy a NEW car, and the reseller tells you:"Well in order to sell you that car, I need an engine, a gearbox, some tires, some seats and of course a frame. And this is gonna cost you 10000€. To be paid in advance!" Would you buy from there? WHAT were they thinking???

Also the idea how this item system works makes the use of the ingame currency completely OBSOLET, as you can only buy the fewest equipment without needing material.
    And to topple that, the head gear equipable seems to be just cosmetic, there is no change if I use a head gear or if I don't.
    Which brings me to the DLC available, they have no existence right, nobody playing this product and being right in their mind would BUY the DLC's!
    They add nothing, no status changes, no abilities, no values, simply nothing but a cosmetic change. Which makes soooo much difference in this game.

Next, mission variety. Honestly this is Ragnarok Odyssey's weakest part.
    As for the variety of doable mission the developers must have been in a complete mental blockade.
    There are only three different types of missions (well if you're very picky there are only two).
    Objective 1: GET X ITEM Y TIMES, means you're grinding through a level only to find the needed amount of whatever kind of item has been asked. Basically you could just rush through the entire map without fighting a single foe. Sounds very plain and dumb, well, it is.
    Objective 2: DEFEAT X ENEMIES, means you're grinding through a level only to kill everything in sight. Basically you could just eliminate the foes in question and skip everything else.
    Very amusing... not really.
    Objective 3: DEFEAT BOSS X, means you have to kill said boss which is basically objective 2. Just with one or two foes.
    Is there any reason not to have a LITTLE broader variety, like an escape mission (run away from said boss) or free prisoners from a monster camp (make sure they escape unharmed)?
    Not even the level design calls for a big variety as there are only 10 different levels with a few areas to explore.
    The absoulte same goes for the enemies, they feel generic and only differ in strength, colour and size, but that's it.
    But there is another problem with the maps, the AMBUSHES, they feel so precalculated, every time you enter a new area you KNOW there is an ambush right after the entrance or directly before the exit.
    This is just a means to stop the player from rushing through the entire level, because the devs know that this would otherwise be a very very short game.
    Well there isn't even variety in boss battles, it's always straight to the main foe, even if there are smaller enemies, I can kill them or ignore them, neither makes a difference.
    Also fighting the same boss over and over and over again isn't going to make the game more apealing. Fighting GRENDEL six times (including 2 BRONZED versions) isn't going to be more interesting, same goes for every other BOSS in game, honestly did the devs run out of BOSSES? The northern mythology offers so many different characters and would make for a good base.
    No, recycling is the key... for a BAD experience.

Next problem, the gameplay itself is completely UNBALANCED.
    I'm writing this because I have run into trouble a felt TRILLIONth time when there are more than three foes with the right combination of skills and you are playing alone. They stun you, they paralyze you, they bind you, they stagger you and send you flying the whole map. By the time your character gets up, most enemies have reached you and do the same procedure again and again and AGAIN.
    Which is aparently not very amusing, so playing in solo means for a very very very frustrating experience.
    A few people in my surrounding were playing this game which I was multiplaying with, but by now, all of them have laid of THIS, in favor of other not so HARD and BORING games.
    This is an alarming sign.
    There is nothing, literally nothing to be gained by forcing myself to play it through, not even an interesting story end.
  5. Apr 15, 2013
    Had potential, however it was squandered. The lack of story, fetch and get quests combined with lazily recycling dungeon and battle areas made this game a waste of 40$.
  6. Dec 19, 2013
    I love this type of game (monster/boss hunting type game), but this one just doesn't work for me. The combo system is an interesting feature for a game like this and could have been fun except every hit against you stops the combo, so, on the off chance you're not getting attacked for more than a few seconds, you likely won't be pulling of the longer combos. Moreover, the dodge system is where I completely lose interest in the game. It feels as though the enemy's range can hit you anywhere and that your dodge does nothing. It seems like no matter when I time the dodge, certain attacks are unavoidable (and they're usually the high damage ones).

The card system is also an interesting change from other similar games and adds a little strategy, but for the most part you'll just grind for cards to boost your damage so you can just hack away at your enemies.

For me, an action RPG where the dodge system is almost useless (lack of invulnerability and seemingly endless enemy attack range), where every hit cancels any combo you were trying for, and where every enemy has a pretty decent chance to stun you (leaving you open to attack) just isn't much fun. If you're looking for an action RPG where well timed movements and strategy can go a long way, this game might not work for you. But, if you're looking for a hack and slash RPG, this might be a great game for you.

1. Apr 13, 2013
    Missions become repetitive. [May 2013, p.84]
  2. Never bad. [Apr 2013, p.111]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    It’s a different style of hunting – an experience that is based on fast speed rather than methodical strategy – so if that sounds like your cup of tea, then Ragnarok Odyssey will offer hours of fun. Just don’t go in expecting a deep experience, as this is the Dynasty Warriors of the monster hunting genre.