8.0

1. Nov 5, 2012
    The people comparing this game to Monster Hunter have not played Monster Hunter for very long. I have put about 25 hours into Ragnarok Odyssey (not very many) and simply the combat is not fun personally. I played Hammersmith, Sword Warrior, and a little bit of a Cleric. The combat does not feel calculated just a mash of buttons and throwing out combos will do in just about every fight.The people comparing this game to Monster Hunter have not played Monster Hunter for very long. I have put about 25 hours into Ragnarok Odyssey (not very many) and simply the combat is not fun personally. I played Hammersmith, Sword Warrior, and a little bit of a Cleric. The combat does not feel calculated just a mash of buttons and throwing out combos will do in just about every fight. Solo play can get glitchy while fighting large groups of monsters as you can get stuck being attacked and die while unable to do anything. (Only happened playing Hammersmith) Anyways, the card system in the game is great and adds a lot of customization and depth to character builds and play style. The online play was better (a little bit of lag though) then single-player but still just was not my cup of tea.

I may be biased playing Monster Hunter for years but to each his own I guess, I wanted to like this game since it falls right in place with Monster Hunter but in my opinion it just does not compare. The crafting is not fun and tedious to use and the big boss battles just do not give me the same satisfaction that I get from Monster Hunter.
  2. Dec 15, 2012
    Ragnarok Odyssey's dependency on the Monster Hunter formula may be debatable, but even if it were a completely original action RPG, it would still fall short of some basic genre standards. Ever since MH took over the portable action RPG market, franchises like Phantasy Star, White Knight Chronicles, and Lord of Arcana have been adjusting to claim some of its territory. Some manage toRagnarok Odyssey's dependency on the Monster Hunter formula may be debatable, but even if it were a completely original action RPG, it would still fall short of some basic genre standards. Ever since MH took over the portable action RPG market, franchises like Phantasy Star, White Knight Chronicles, and Lord of Arcana have been adjusting to claim some of its territory. Some manage to transcend the MH influences to become unique (and arguably superior) IPs, but RO is not one of them. Instead, it tries to gain a foothold by being the first of its type on Vita, and if you're really desperate for more team-based creature combat on your newest handheld, RO may offer some marginal enjoyment until God Eater 2 or Soul Sacrifice get released next year. Otherwise, you'll probably find RO to be a juvenile outing with colorful but flavorless presentation, boring and stiff combat, forgettable characters, and an unconvincing by-the-numbers story. Most of the user reviews here are biased due to there being no competition for RO on the Vita yet, but that doesn't mean you should waste $40 on a sub-standard game. It won't take much for the second guy in line to blow them out of the water. I honestly wanted to like the game, but even after a dozen hours, it has absolutely failed to offer a single reason to keep playing. Instead, you would be better served snagging Gods Eater Burst on PSN for half the cost, since it benefits tremendously from Vita's bi-linear filtering and ability to map camera controls to the right stick (not to mention having better story, characters, and music than any of the so-called MH clones). When all is said and done, Ragnarok Odyssey will fall into the same category as Valhalla Knights and Lord of Arcana - a seemingly attractive game that ultimately fails in execution, feeling too rushed and content-lite to capture the dedication of hardcore RPG fans. Sorry, but that's just how I feel. Now, back to GEB. Expand

1. Apr 13, 2013
    Missions become repetitive. [May 2013, p.84]
  2. Never bad. [Apr 2013, p.111]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    It’s a different style of hunting – an experience that is based on fast speed rather than methodical strategy – so if that sounds like your cup of tea, then Ragnarok Odyssey will offer hours of fun. Just don’t go in expecting a deep experience, as this is the Dynasty Warriors of the monster hunting genre.