Ragnarok Odyssey PlayStation Vita

7.8

1. Nov 5, 2012
    The people comparing this game to Monster Hunter have not played Monster Hunter for very long. I have put about 25 hours into Ragnarok Odyssey (not very many) and simply the combat is not fun personally. I played Hammersmith, Sword Warrior, and a little bit of a Cleric. The combat does not feel calculated just a mash of buttons and throwing out combos will do in just about every fight.The people comparing this game to Monster Hunter have not played Monster Hunter for very long. I have put about 25 hours into Ragnarok Odyssey (not very many) and simply the combat is not fun personally. I played Hammersmith, Sword Warrior, and a little bit of a Cleric. The combat does not feel calculated just a mash of buttons and throwing out combos will do in just about every fight. Solo play can get glitchy while fighting large groups of monsters as you can get stuck being attacked and die while unable to do anything. (Only happened playing Hammersmith) Anyways, the card system in the game is great and adds a lot of customization and depth to character builds and play style. The online play was better (a little bit of lag though) then single-player but still just was not my cup of tea.

I may be biased playing Monster Hunter for years but to each his own I guess, I wanted to like this game since it falls right in place with Monster Hunter but in my opinion it just does not compare. The crafting is not fun and tedious to use and the big boss battles just do not give me the same satisfaction that I get from Monster Hunter.
  2. Dec 15, 2012
    Ragnarok Odyssey's dependency on the Monster Hunter formula may be debatable, but even if it were a completely original action RPG, it would still fall short of some basic genre standards. Ever since MH took over the portable action RPG market, franchises like Phantasy Star, White Knight Chronicles, and Lord of Arcana have been adjusting to claim some of its territory. Some manage toRagnarok Odyssey's dependency on the Monster Hunter formula may be debatable, but even if it were a completely original action RPG, it would still fall short of some basic genre standards. Ever since MH took over the portable action RPG market, franchises like Phantasy Star, White Knight Chronicles, and Lord of Arcana have been adjusting to claim some of its territory. Some manage to transcend the MH influences to become unique (and arguably superior) IPs, but RO is not one of them. Instead, it tries to gain a foothold by being the first of its type on Vita, and if you're really desperate for more team-based creature combat on your newest handheld, RO may offer some marginal enjoyment until God Eater 2 or Soul Sacrifice get released next year. Otherwise, you'll probably find RO to be a juvenile outing with colorful but flavorless presentation, boring and stiff combat, forgettable characters, and an unconvincing by-the-numbers story. Most of the user reviews here are biased due to there being no competition for RO on the Vita yet, but that doesn't mean you should waste $40 on a sub-standard game. It won't take much for the second guy in line to blow them out of the water. I honestly wanted to like the game, but even after a dozen hours, it has absolutely failed to offer a single reason to keep playing. Instead, you would be better served snagging Gods Eater Burst on PSN for half the cost, since it benefits tremendously from Vita's bi-linear filtering and ability to map camera controls to the right stick (not to mention having better story, characters, and music than any of the so-called MH clones). When all is said and done, Ragnarok Odyssey will fall into the same category as Valhalla Knights and Lord of Arcana - a seemingly attractive game that ultimately fails in execution, feeling too rushed and content-lite to capture the dedication of hardcore RPG fans. Sorry, but that's just how I feel. Now, back to GEB. Expand
  3. Aug 25, 2015
    The combat is ok but there's very little plot so your just going around slaughtering monsters for no reason and there's no character building: No exp points, no stats just equipment upgrades which is painfully boring to me.
  4. Mar 31, 2013
    Ragnarok Odyssey is more less a game than a mediocre experience of a button masher with slightly deliverd RPG elements and a non existent story.
    I would like to point out some of its flaws.
    First the item system. You collect items by finishing enemies, bosses, breaking crates and barrels, this is fine so far. BUT this is the ONLY WAY to get anything which becomes annoying if you have
    I would like to point out some of its flaws.

First the item system.
    BUT this is the ONLY WAY to get anything which becomes annoying if you have to beat the same boss for the FELT thousandth time, just to receive an OH so needed object.
    There is no shop, no other way to achieve very needed items for upgrading or refining.
    Even when you buy NEW equipment, you NEED the listed items, just to BUY the wanted equipment, this is not right and feels so dumb and awkward.

For example:
    You want to buy Z Armor, but when you go to the trader, it says: "I need item W, X and Y and of course it costs you additionally 10000 zeny."
    WHY, WHY do I have to, as a customer of that trader, get the needed materials myself??? THAT defeats the purpose!!!
    Imagine (in real life now) you buy a NEW car, and the reseller tells you:"Well in order to sell you that car, I need an engine, a gearbox, some tires, some seats and of course a frame. And this is gonna cost you 10000€. To be paid in advance!" Would you buy from there? WHAT were they thinking???

Also the idea how this item system works makes the use of the ingame currency completely OBSOLET, as you can only buy the fewest equipment without needing material.
    And to topple that, the head gear equipable seems to be just cosmetic, there is no change if I use a head gear or if I don't.
    Which brings me to the DLC available, they have no existence right, nobody playing this product and being right in their mind would BUY the DLC's!
    They add nothing, no status changes, no abilities, no values, simply nothing but a cosmetic change. Which makes soooo much difference in this game.

Next, mission variety. Honestly this is Ragnarok Odyssey's weakest part.
    As for the variety of doable mission the developers must have been in a complete mental blockade.
    There are only three different types of missions (well if you're very picky there are only two).
    Objective 1: GET X ITEM Y TIMES, means you're grinding through a level only to find the needed amount of whatever kind of item has been asked. Basically you could just rush through the entire map without fighting a single foe. Sounds very plain and dumb, well, it is.
    Objective 2: DEFEAT X ENEMIES, means you're grinding through a level only to kill everything in sight. Basically you could just eliminate the foes in question and skip everything else.
    Very amusing... not really.
    Objective 3: DEFEAT BOSS X, means you have to kill said boss which is basically objective 2. Just with one or two foes.
    Is there any reason not to have a LITTLE broader variety, like an escape mission (run away from said boss) or free prisoners from a monster camp (make sure they escape unharmed)?
    Not even the level design calls for a big variety as there are only 10 different levels with a few areas to explore.
    The absoulte same goes for the enemies, they feel generic and only differ in strength, colour and size, but that's it.
    But there is another problem with the maps, the AMBUSHES, they feel so precalculated, every time you enter a new area you KNOW there is an ambush right after the entrance or directly before the exit.
    This is just a means to stop the player from rushing through the entire level, because the devs know that this would otherwise be a very very short game.
    Well there isn't even variety in boss battles, it's always straight to the main foe, even if there are smaller enemies, I can kill them or ignore them, neither makes a difference.
    Also fighting the same boss over and over and over again isn't going to make the game more apealing. Fighting GRENDEL six times (including 2 BRONZED versions) isn't going to be more interesting, same goes for every other BOSS in game, honestly did the devs run out of BOSSES? The northern mythology offers so many different characters and would make for a good base.
    No, recycling is the key... for a BAD experience.

Next problem, the gameplay itself is completely UNBALANCED.
    I'm writing this because I have run into trouble a felt TRILLIONth time when there are more than three foes with the right combination of skills and you are playing alone. They stun you, they paralyze you, they bind you, they stagger you and send you flying the whole map. By the time your character gets up, most enemies have reached you and do the same procedure again and again and AGAIN.
    Which is aparently not very amusing, so playing in solo means for a very very very frustrating experience.
    A few people in my surrounding were playing this game which I was multiplaying with, but by now, all of them have laid of THIS, in favor of other not so HARD and BORING games.
    This is an alarming sign.
    There is nothing, literally nothing to be gained by forcing myself to play it through, not even an interesting story end.

1. Games Master UK
    Apr 13, 2013
    Missions become repetitive. [May 2013, p.84]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Mar 22, 2013
    Never bad. [Apr 2013, p.111]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    It’s a different style of hunting – an experience that is based on fast speed rather than methodical strategy – so if that sounds like your cup of tea, then Ragnarok Odyssey will offer hours of fun. Just don’t go in expecting a deep experience, as this is the Dynasty Warriors of the monster hunting genre.