8.4

1. Apr 8, 2017
    Everything in this game is absolutely awesome BEFORE THE LAST LEVEL. If the Souls series are the good example of "difficult but fair", then the last level of this game is the good example of "hard and unfair".
  2. Mar 20, 2012
    I have to confess that I hated the very first Rayman, a long time ago, on Playstation. I found it slow, boring, no fun at all. I hadn't played another Rayman game since then (except for a few "Raving Rabbids" quick games, but that's not Rayman now, is it?), and I didn't really want to play Rayman Origins either.

However, the lack of games currently available for Vita, and the high score

However, the lack of games currently available for Vita, and the high score here on Metacritic, made me buy Rayman Origins. And I sure don't regret. I hadn't had that much fun with a 2D platformer for ages. Rayman Origins for Vita is really awesome.

The 2D graphics of the game are really beautiful, even though some sprites are... well, a bit gross (bosses mainly). The animations are great as well, nothing to say about that.
    The level design is clever, and the difficulty progressively goes up, and things are never frustrating. For a change of pace, in addition to classic platform levels, you also have "Shoot'em up" levels with your character riding a mosquito. In both kinds of game sequences, the controls are good and don't hinder your progression - and your fun.

One of the most interesting (and surprising) things in this new Rayman game, though, is the Sound Design. The musics are good (and funny), and there are many other sounds (when you pick up Lums, etc) that play during the game, that make it even more enjoyable. The Sound designer and his team really made something great in this game.

I don't know exactly how many levels are present in the game, but I didn't have the feeling that the game was too short. Besides, there are enough collectible things in each level (hidden Electoons, relics) to make you want to replay them. After being completed, most levels can also be played again in "Time Trial" mode. There may not be any multiplayer mode in this version of the game (unlike the PS3/Wii/360 versions), but there's still a lot of things to do. They also added relics, which are hidden throughout the levels, and must be found by hitting them with the touchscreen.

The touchscreen can also be used to "pop bubbles", whether those bubbles are enemies that you just defeated or floating items waiting to be picked up.

As a conclusion, I'll just say that Rayman Origins is a great game, certainly one of the best on the Vita so far... And that's coming from a former Rayman hater!

1. May 5, 2012
    Rayman: Origins feels refreshing, even on the Vita, with amazing graphics and carefully thought out platform action. The cooperative mode got replaced by a ghost mode, which is disappointing, but also the best decision Ubisoft could've made. On the road this mode is easy to pick up and play, which is essential for a handheld game.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 11, 2012
    The omission of four-player cooperative play (as seen in its PS3 counterpart) hurts and seems a bit of an oversight but that doesn't stop it from being a damned fine platformer. Rayman Origins looks a treat, plays pretty sweet and walks its own beat. [April 2012, p75]
  3. Games Master UK