7.8

1. Oct 12, 2012
    I could never get into early arcade games, but I love this the way I loved Retro Game Challenge on the DS. The reason, in both cases, is that the game provides what those games themselves could not--story, choice, context, a persistent and interesting world to explore. In the case of Retro City Rampage, this is even more true. Not having played many of the games this game references, I'm sure there are a lot of inside jokes I am missing, but it doesn't matter. The game provides fantastic controls, options, variety. I have not nostalgia for the graphics, and I worried about this at first. However, for me, the graphics provide a perfect framework for my imagination to fill in the rest. The result it hard to describe--I only know that I have chosen to play this over my console several times in the last few days. It is awesome. Expand
  2. Oct 15, 2012
    Retro City Rampage is loads of fun. That's all I really need to say. It plays like an old school GTA top-down view clone. It controls well and has a fair amount of content, but this is probably one of the most fun I've had with a downloadable title in a while. If you love the idea of open world games along with splattering 8-bit figures around an NES designed street as much as I do, give it a try. Even with the hefty price tag, I could see no reason for you to be disappointed. Expand
  3. Oct 15, 2012
    This game is halarious. Its a joy to play. It looks like a classic retro game but also plays like a new game. It has a lot of 8 bit refrences but plays basically like the 2d grand theft auto games.
  4. Feb 22, 2013
    Retro City Rampage is a masterpiece. I don't often use this word, but i have to say it: this is a perfect game.
    Why? Because it's really really funny, an awesome graphic style, an awesome 8-bit soundtrack and it takes about 20 hours to complete everything (includes trophies).
    Then on Vita it's the greatest version. If you have this console, this is an obligatory purchase!
  5. Jan 18, 2013
    Retro City Rampage is absolutely epic! Yes, it sports the very definition of paradoxical gameplay, yes there's more tongue-in-cheek humour than you can shake a stick at, and yes the 8bit pixel art is a veritable feast for the senses. Indeed Retro City Rampage is all of these things, but it is so much more besides - it's a wonderfully sprawling openworld adventure that is a joy to behold. At just £8.99 meanwhile, it's even a rather fantastic bargain too, and it deserves the highest praise. In short, it's the best game I've played since Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (on iOS), and I utterly adore it. Expand
  6. Jan 9, 2014
    Acting as both a love letter to all things 80's and a parody of modern video games, "Retro City Rampage" has a unique sense of charm but I don't feel that it has the gameplay chops to back it up. The 8-bit graphics and constant references to things like Back to the Future or Sonic the hedgehog help sell a sort a sort of retro feeling to the game, at least stylistically. As far as gameplay goes it's very much a modern feeling game and you can tell that it does so intentionally. It is part parody after all.

It's open world structure that rewards you for plowing down civilians is clearly a well made parody of the GTA series. It makes fun of the "tailing" missions open world games have become known for, and even throws in a level dedicated to parodying Ms. 'Splosion Man. It hard to not crack a smile during sections like these, or when the game is making joke/reference to some 80's/90's related trend, but a lot of the jokes fall flat and the gameplay never really impressed me.

There were a lot of times where the game failed to get so much as a chuckle out of me. It can be fun to mindlessly run over civilians in the open world section, but the game's missions never really excited me. The content here just sort of came off as generic to me. I also have to point out an outrageous difficulty spike that occurs at the end of the game. I never really had any problem with the game until I reached the final boss which is multi-staged and just comes across as cheap and frustrating. It's not a really big deal when you consider that it is only at the very end of the game, but this outrageously difficult final boss may prevent people from actually completing the game.

I found this to be a somewhat underwhelming experience. It does well as both a parody and throwback to the things of yesteryear, but as a game it somewhat stumbles. It never truly impressed me and left me wanting more from it. Still, if you have any love of the era this game is constantly trying to bring back fond memories of, then this game may be worth a look for you. It might not be the most impressive gameplay wise, or have the most staying power, but there's something here for those who want the nostalgia. It didn't really impress me but I can see why people like it.
  7. Mar 12, 2013
    Retro City Rampage on the Vita is the perfect on the go openworld game. Its arcade like fashion and nutty story is easy to jump into. And making the gameworld your own is easy. This all ties in together to make Retro City Rampage stand out in the Vita library.
  8. Nov 26, 2012
    This game is great - its really a great homage to gamings past. I wish it was more engaging... its a bit repetitive but it does surprise you with its level of depth. I know that contradicts itself a bit
  9. Jan 21, 2013
    Great little game for the Vita. Lots of classic 8 bit references and nudges to the 8 bit era. Enjoyed playing every minute of it so far and now i'm thinking about it I will go play a bit more
  10. Feb 14, 2013
    My overall experience with this game was an enjoyable one. The gameplay is fun, the references and parodies entertaining, and the retro, 8-bit aspect is more than appealing. However, there is a lot left to be desired with this game. The plot is terrible, and just a way for the writers to get to their next reference as quickly as possible. After earning all the trophies, I couldn't see myself going back to play it again. Also, the difficulty spikes are ridiculous. At one moment, I'll be thinking how overly easy the game seems while five minutes later I'll be cursing because I'm repeatedly dying during what seems to be an easy mission.

The game is definitely worth the buy. You'll be laughing more than you'll be cursing, and the gameplay is fun. Just don't expect this to be a game you keep coming back to once you have finished.
  11. Feb 14, 2013

1. Jan 23, 2013
    Retro City Rampage pummels you with fantastic video game and movie references throughout, and has the gameplay to back up the funny.
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    It's very clear that the developers really do care about the project and all the sources which are parodied and that helps most of the games faults to be forgiven. Retro City Rampage is certainly a game that fans of retro gaming should play and you should have a great time – it's just not likely you'll return after finishing it.
  3. Nov 20, 2012
    Retro City Rampage works as an always funny parody of Grand Theft Auto and classic games. But it's much more than that. There's some devilishly clever content here, including a solid action game with consistently humorous writing. Not every joke lands, but the experience is so dense with ridiculous fun that it's impossible to imagine somebody not having a good time with Retro City Rampage!