Ridge Racer PlayStation Vita

3.7

1. Jan 22, 2013
    Compared to the general feedback it's a surprisingly entertaining game. Good dynamics, and (by now) enough tracks to make me happy, combined with pretty slick graphics. Was probably a pretty bad value at launch, but it seems they have learned from their mistakes - and by now the Ultimate Edition including all tracks is a good value.
  2. Mar 20, 2012
    When you get the game it only has 3 tracks on the cart, but the game comes with a downloadable code to give you 3 more tracks(though only two of those are available right now), which brings the total number of tracks to 6. Or 12 if you count the fact that you can reverse each track.

In April 2012 there will be another set of DLC which will include 3 more tracks, 5 cars and some extra songs and that will cost about 7 bucks.

Yes there is a lot of DLC in this game but a lot of it is free or reasonably priced.

There are about 56 free music tracks up for download on PlayStation Network(bringing the total of free music tracks in the game to over 60), this game has more music than any other Ridge Racer game.

The most important part of the game for me is the gameplay and it is great there and the CPU is challenging; the online mode is pretty fun as well(though its tough at first as some people have much higher car stats).

After extensive playtime(about 20 hours on game clock) I still highly recommend this game if you want a portable Ridge Racer game that you can take online, I've now leveled up to the highest level and maxed out my vehicles stats and the game is still very fun and challenging.
  3. Mar 29, 2012
    BUT
    For me, it's the best racing experience on the Vita (not inc. Wipeout - different style) For your £17 - you have on your memory card at all times (very handy) 12 tracks (6 back and forward) a host of cars and more downloadable tunes that you can shake a stick at.. Arcade racing is fun, but the
    BUT
    Arcade racing is fun, but the real drive here(!) is going against real opponent ghosts and online lobbies...
    I've played people across the globe with zero lag and tried to best people's ghosts and not to mention the surprise you get when you received the devil's gift!
    Honestly, it plays a million times better than asphalt and all the dross that lingers in the 40s / 50s on metacritic... it's cheap, it handles perfectly the graphics are pretty damned good too...
    Sometimes reviews are wrong - this is one of those times... worth every penny...
  4. May 10, 2017
    Once again another Sony system has come out and that means its time for a new Ridge Racer. Now this game has been getting some really harsh reviews that are only some what fair.

The main grip is the content of the game. The game comes with a handful of cars(4 by default I believe) and 3 tracks. Now the thing is this is the Japanese version people are talking about. The us version instantly gives you 5 more cars, 3 more tracks and some extra songs. While not an over whelming amount of content it truely is enough. In Ridge Racer theres only 3 car handling types anyways so every car is just a reskin of those 3 cars.

Music: The music is awesome as usual. This is one of those you hate it or love it things. If you love Ridge Racer games you will love this. Its driving mostly technoish and viby music. Its all very fitting and it makes you wanna drive fast.

Graphics: Its either this or Uncharted. Nothing else on the system looks even remotely impressive yet except these 2 games. Ridge Racer for psp was and still is one of the best looking titles ever released for psp. You can assume Ridge Racer for the vita will be pretty much the same. The interface is probably the sharpist and slickest i've seen in the series.

Gameplay: Its arcade style fun. If you liked part 6,7 or, the 3ds one there is absolutely no way you wouldnt enjoy this. There is one oddity that sucks. You cant set the L and R buttons to be your shifting up and down for the manual transmision. Lastly I feel that the content should be mentioned. There is a **** ton. It may not be in tracks and car select its in races. Constant download missions appear that you can have which adds tons of value if you've got access to some wifi ( the 3g for gaming is a joke and the 3g model of the system should be shunned ). This also features one of the most solid online vs modes that RR series has seen out of part 6 on 360.

Fans freet not if you loved RR this is worthy purchase and for $30 you'll defanitly get your value out of it.
  5. Apr 12, 2014
    I've played PSP RR, RR4 and PSP RR and will say that Vita RR is far superior. Why? Because it's the first RR I've played where you actually RACE against other cars. In previous RR games, the AI cars were simply lame place holders--like checkpoints you blow by until the final lap. Yawn. Here in Vita RR, you RACE against 7 AI cars from the start. Think powersliding sideways at insane speedI've played PSP RR, RR4 and PSP RR and will say that Vita RR is far superior. Why? Because it's the first RR I've played where you actually RACE against other cars. In previous RR games, the AI cars were simply lame place holders--like checkpoints you blow by until the final lap. Yawn. Here in Vita RR, you RACE against 7 AI cars from the start. Think powersliding sideways at insane speed into a corner with 3 nasty AI forming a barrier impossible to pass. Think using nitro to thread the needle through 4 AI in the final stretch after constantly trading paint & places for the entire race. This is the most intense racing I have ever experienced--the AI in this game will break you at times. I am now only level 8 and play mostly offline spot races--I'm grinding to get max upgrades then I will compete online against even tougher world ghosts and real time online racers. This game is very deep and so rewarding with all the trophies to earn + secret devil and angel cars to unlock. I paid $24.99 + about $15 for Gold and Silver Passes--that's very cheap for all the content you get imo. The 84 tracks of original RR music is great. My only explanation for why this game gets such low review scores is simply this: The reviewers got their a$$es handed to them. They are used to winning without skills. They never raced against 7 mean AI and cannot buy or grind out an unfairly overpowered car to "succeed". Nope; not here--you have to work to learn the tracks and have skills. If you love Ridge Racer, don't let all the whining lazy reviewers fool you. This is the best RR. Buy it. Namco deserves GoTY for releasing this masterpiece. Expand
  6. Mar 29, 2012

1. May 19, 2012
    There's a nice idea hidden somewhere in Ridge Race for the Vita, but it just doesn't come out of its shell. The focus lays on online races, and not even very expansive. Just being able to have a good race has been overlooked with this racer.
  2. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    May 7, 2012
    The problem here is the convoluted content and pricing structure: 30 bucks delivers a measly three tracks and five cars. [June 2012, p.79]
    What could be isn't in this portable Ridge Racer, and what is should be in a better game.