6.5

1. Jun 22, 2012
    I gave Shinobido 2 a 6. I did juggle with the idea of giving a 7 score, but I believe the game doesn't offer enough variety to warrant a higher score. My initial playthrough has lasted around 8 hours, a fair length - and the game does dole out an array of optional character skins and costumes to make further plathroughs more enjoyable.
    The reason why Shinobido 2 didn't score higher for
    The reason why Shinobido 2 didn't score higher for me, is because it suffers from a fairly flat execution of it's story, the cutscenes, while visually at a fairly nice standard, with a nice attention to detail, generally don't pack much of a visual punch. The characters themselves are pretty one dimensional, with our hero, Zen, being almost irritatingly stubborn. It's clear this is a direct sequel to the first game, so the story is harder to grasp to newcomers to the series like myself. It also makes the intentions of the villain fairly obscured because it relates directly to events that happened in the previous game.
    It simply comes across as being half baked, the creators could have done so much more with such a combination of unusual characters, but it feels as though we gleam most of the characteristics of these people from the ending montage!
    Another conflicting aspect of the game is the overall presentation, beautiful music dampened by basic sound effects, pretty locations plagued with repetition, nice character models with basic animation.
    The missions themselves offer various styles, including kidnapping, sabotage, retrieving documents, bodyguard work, annihilation, hunting and good old assassination - this is where the game works it's magic. Going back to the most basic forms of stealth gameplay, the game offers the most enjoyment - suffering only when we're forced to do face-to-face combat because the janky, unyielding nature of the gameplay can frustrate.
    Another aspect of the game that regrettably under-delivers is the daimyo, or warlord association. By carrying out missions from certain daimyo you can improve your reputation with them, unlocking certain gifts and rarer missions. Basically you can aid certain daimyo to win the war, by favouring one over another you can sway the outcome of the war however you like. The outcome itself doesn't appear to affect the story - however I did unlock a unique cutscene at the end of the game along with my A ranking *wink wink* So again, while it does fall short of what it could have been, it does offer replay value should you choose to back the other daimyo (three to choose from) in future playthroughs
    Shinobido 2 is a game of potential, and there is a lot of value in it should you choose to seek it, just don't expect to be blown away in your playthrough, with a steep curve to attune yourself with the controls, and the gameplay in general, many people will be put off straight away. After a few hours though I did very much enjoy the good old Tenchu nature of the game, and I will continue to jump in every now and then to back those other daimyo, and perhaps play as a bear!
  2. Feb 21, 2012
    I think it's just "ok". The game trailers did a good job marketing it, but I found I wasn't woohoo'ing about it after about a minute of game play. I should have saved my pennies for something else.
  3. Mar 11, 2012
    The game looks and feels 10 years old. In terms of voiceacting, story, etc. the game doesn't shine. However, I like the menu layouts, music (even though it's somewhat repetitive) and the stealth kills. It's a great stealth action game with lots of decisions and influences you can have, but it's also reptitive and that can turn some people off. Overall it's good but not great.
  4. May 16, 2012
    The graphics are nowhere near as good as the Vita can produce, not to mention that the controls are shaky. The environments get repetitive, but it's still god fun for a while.
  5. Aug 27, 2014
    I think it´s a good game. I like the stealth, the tool creation that could be bigger and the attacks. But i did not liked the rescue and trasporting missions, they were boring and stupid. The game could have more maps but i liked it it´s a good stealth game and i recommended.

1. Apr 12, 2012
    This one's a dud. [May 2012, p.83]
  2. When a well-planned incursion comes to fruition, the game is rewarding; the rest of the time, it's plagued with camera weirdness, clipping errors and a clunky combat system. [April 2012, p75]
  3. Apr 8, 2012
    Shinobido 2 is a game with a few nice ideas. For instance: it has a decent pace for a stealth game with open levels that offer multiple paths. But before you'll be able to see the good that it has to offer, you'll most likely be scared off by the other awful aspects it has, like atrocious graphics, too many menus and load screens, a boring and cliché-filled story and constant repetition in gameplay.