6.5

1. Mar 3, 2015
    First off I want to say kudos to Acquire, by chance most games I've played recently are by Acquire and I haven't been let down yet. They did a great job with Shinobido 2 and brought back that classic Tenchu style gameplay along with some welcome new features. Put simply, this is Tenchu. from the movement of the character, to the grapple hook, you will see how alike the games are to oneFirst off I want to say kudos to Acquire, by chance most games I've played recently are by Acquire and I haven't been let down yet. They did a great job with Shinobido 2 and brought back that classic Tenchu style gameplay along with some welcome new features. Put simply, this is Tenchu. from the movement of the character, to the grapple hook, you will see how alike the games are to one another.
    Your base of operation comes in the form of a menu, which allows you to change your loadout, upgrade your character, use alchemy to create new items, and most importantly embark on missions. a variety of missions keep the gameplay fresh for a while, but lack of environments (repeated maps) bore you easily if its graphics and landscapes your after. Maps are somewhat bigger than previous titles and graphical detail looks great on the Vitas screen.
    Overall I give it a 9, because of the nostalgia trip Tenchu fans with have, and because its the only game of its kind currently on the vita. a great addition to anyone's vita collection.
  2. Oct 15, 2014
    Did you like Tenchu? Do you own a Vita? Buy this game!

Did you like Tenchu? Do you own a Vita? Buy this game!

Okay, I had no idea when I purchased this game, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out this game was developed by Acquire, the original creators of Tenchu. When I began playing the game I thought, "Dang, this is just like Tenchu, copyright infringement much?" It was only after I looked up Acquire that I realized, "Hey! this is Tenchu!" And it is.

I should try to haiku this bad boy.
    In the darkness near the waterfall
    A guard yawns
    Desiring fainting sushi.

This game is great. Squatting in the night on some roof, watching the patrol route of a guard, planning your attack so that you are not seen. But if you are, don't worry--just run about thirty feet and squat again.

Shinobido 2 is not a Ninja simulator; the fundamental mechanics of the game are pruned such that the entire experience, from invasion to escape, is rewarding. It is so satisfying to execute the nearly mystical moves Zen is capable of on an entire entourage of closely grouped guards. Who cares if it isn't even remotely realistic, did you see me just Chimatsuri Sappo like seven dudes in a row?!

I did have a few camera issues. For example, I would be nudging Zen over to get a better view of a bear, and WHAM, she would see me. To be honest, if I were to fully utilize the controls available to me, I would not run into situations like this, but the camera is a bit wonky. I also experienced a bit of disorientation on occasion, when the camera would automatically center behind me, that led to some comical maneuvering on my part.

The game play is also well designed for a hand held. You can't really tell how long a mission will take, but they are all easily completed in less than twenty minutes.

Great game for Tenchu fans, great match for the system.
  3. May 12, 2014
    I think it is very odd and sad that no one in the reviews has made the connection that this game is an absolute LOVE LETTER to the original Tenchu Stealth Assassins on PSX. The character even looks and moves just like Rikimaru, has a grappling hook that works the same and you will feel like a ninja I guarantee. I pulled off the same amazing kills I could in TSA 1-3.

Playing this is like

Playing this is like playing a next gen homage to the game that STARTED the stealth ninja game, and this game does a phenomenal job recreating and totally surpassing Tenchu in every way. The level you play in the demo is even called 'Assassinate the Merchant'!! The same first mission from Tenchu!!

It adds in excellent wall runs, wall jumps and better swordplay along with a much more responsive EVERYTHING. It has an awesome cinematic kill option that is fun to sprinkle into your gameplay. Sure the AI is not a genius but it delivers on something that I've been wanting for a VERY long time. Portable Tenchu gameplay. BRAVO.

Do NOT listen to the noob reviews, and if you loved Tenchu 1-3 this game is an absolute MUST own next gen upgraded version, with nostalgia dripping around every corner. Thanks for making this game Namco, and ninja gamers ENJOY!!
  4. Nov 19, 2012
    The game is definitely a Ninja game. You can run on walls, grapple to ledges, and execute bad guys.
    This is my favorite game for the Vita so far, and really the only reason I even own a Vita.
    Tons of unlockables, tons of quests, different factions to side with, and graphics that are even better than some Triple A title PS3 games. The game has great pacing, and you can choose to use
    The game has great pacing, and you can choose to use stealth or run head on at enemies depending on your playstyle. Both options are very fun.
    My only complaints are that the game does get repetitive. But it doesn't bother me a bit.
  5. Apr 11, 2012
    It is sooo obvious which publishers are paying the critics and who aren't. How could anyone score MW3 higher than shinibido 2? This game is deep and highly enjoyable, totally disregard the critics and go with user reviews needless to say.
  6. Apr 7, 2012
    Best current game on the vita, ignore the critics. if you like any of the categories, stealth/ninja/swordplay/tactics you will like this game. it does what it sets out to do VERY very well. i was dubious at first as nothing seemed right with the game to be honest, which is never a good start however for reasons I can only assume are due to the hidden quality's of game play i kept comingBest current game on the vita, ignore the critics. if you like any of the categories, stealth/ninja/swordplay/tactics you will like this game. it does what it sets out to do VERY very well. i was dubious at first as nothing seemed right with the game to be honest, which is never a good start however for reasons I can only assume are due to the hidden quality's of game play i kept coming back to it... and continue to do so. if you can get past the dodgy sounds, textures and movement the game has so much more to offer than any other games ive played on the vita. missions are actually pretty diverse unlike unit 13's missions. essentially your doing the same things but what game doesn't do that? missions vary from assassinations, reckon, assault, guard, kidnaps, stealth, burglary plus more and they all play well. the game system of accepting missions, making choices, levelling up your character and alchemy is also very nice. this is one of the few games on the vita thus far i am actually interested in and i bought it on a total whim.... best decision in a long time, if graphics don't mean EVERYTHING to you (not saying that's a bad thing) then check this game out!! (other games i have are uncharted, reality fighters, rayman, unit 13, dynasty wariors wipeout and motorstorm rc.... surprisingly shinobido is my favorite although i can understand why a lot of people don't give it 10 mins) Expand
  7. Mar 18, 2012
    As a newcomer to the Shinobido games, I am quite pleased. Although I have a list of complaints, I find the game complex enough to provide hours of entertainment. The game features a strategic layer where you accept missions that affect your relationship between the warring daimyos. This layer provides motivation to take on missions. The missions themselves tend to focus on stealth withAs a newcomer to the Shinobido games, I am quite pleased. Although I have a list of complaints, I find the game complex enough to provide hours of entertainment. The game features a strategic layer where you accept missions that affect your relationship between the warring daimyos. This layer provides motivation to take on missions. The missions themselves tend to focus on stealth with some situations where you are forced into combat. The combat itself is tough. It is not tough because the fights are tough, it is tough because the controls are non-intuitive and you need to constantly fight the camera, which has a mind of its own. Fortunately, you can hold down L to keep the camera focused on your enemy, in a soft sort of way. The pros: The story and the game play structure. The stealth action and stealth moves. The cons: The tough-to-learn combat controls, the non-intelligent auto-camera, some control oddities, and the repetitive nature of the missions. Expand

1. Apr 12, 2012
    This one's a dud. [May 2012, p.83]
  2. When a well-planned incursion comes to fruition, the game is rewarding; the rest of the time, it's plagued with camera weirdness, clipping errors and a clunky combat system. [April 2012, p75]
  3. Apr 8, 2012
    Shinobido 2 is a game with a few nice ideas. For instance: it has a decent pace for a stealth game with open levels that offer multiple paths. But before you'll be able to see the good that it has to offer, you'll most likely be scared off by the other awful aspects it has, like atrocious graphics, too many menus and load screens, a boring and cliché-filled story and constant repetition in gameplay.