• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Apr 30, 2013
8.1

1. May 2, 2013
    Waited for the release of this game without trying the demo, to not ruin the first play experience and that definitely worth the wait. The game is awesome. Absolutely full of style, disturbing and challenging. The gameplay resembles some other hack and slash titles but definitely this is one of a kind. The sorcerer is very customizable in therms of spells (there are TONS of them) andWaited for the release of this game without trying the demo, to not ruin the first play experience and that definitely worth the wait. The game is awesome. Absolutely full of style, disturbing and challenging. The gameplay resembles some other hack and slash titles but definitely this is one of a kind. The sorcerer is very customizable in therms of spells (there are TONS of them) and everyone is more cooler and powerful than another. Also the game setup and lore is very complete and original... I can definitely feel the designer imagination, the inspiration... it's incredible... Like a nightmare... But i's reallyt awesome. Speaking of controls/gameplay after an initial confusion I started to gain master of them and they are perfectly balanced, pressing and holding buttons for some spells or actions, tapping the button for some... Anyway is perfectly explained even without a real tutorial... the game puts you immediately in action and you must adapt to survive. In final it is an outstanding game, very fascinating and enjoyable. Expand
  2. May 10, 2013
    This game is crazy deep and fun. I downloaded the demo and didn't get it. I decided to read through the first part of the wiki on IGN and decided to go back and give it a try. I ultimatelyWhat a cool game! Finally something for my Vita! Once I learned how to combine attacks using different elements, the game opened up. The story is great too! It's been a whiles since I have been addictedThis game is crazy deep and fun. I downloaded the demo and didn't get it. I decided to read through the first part of the wiki on IGN and decided to go back and give it a try. I ultimatelyWhat a cool game! Finally something for my Vita! Once I learned how to combine attacks using different elements, the game opened up. The story is great too! It's been a whiles since I have been addicted to a game... and it's a handheld. Go figure. Must buy in my book! Expand
  3. May 9, 2013
    At first, you do not know what you are doing and where this game will take you but after a couple of fights you start to get hooked to the leveling system and loot system. I would recommend this game to people who have the vita. A must have.
  4. Apr 30, 2013
    Finally an AAA title for the vita which is pretty good!.
    Sony gave us a Fully customizable RPG rich with lore, enemy, skills and a dark dark history, this is choice for the monster hunters fan on the vita :D
  5. Apr 30, 2013
    Please, ignore the "professional" reviews. These are the same journalists who gave the early Monster Hunter Freedom games poor scores but now that the franchise is becoming popular, they play it safe and shower it with 8/10 and 9/10 scores. Soul Sacrifice is not a perfect game. It is not a 10/10 game. However, it is an incredibly hunting game that has a lot of advantages over the MonsterPlease, ignore the "professional" reviews. These are the same journalists who gave the early Monster Hunter Freedom games poor scores but now that the franchise is becoming popular, they play it safe and shower it with 8/10 and 9/10 scores. Soul Sacrifice is not a perfect game. It is not a 10/10 game. However, it is an incredibly hunting game that has a lot of advantages over the Monster Hunter series, the only other hunting game out right now that's worth your time. Soul Sacrifice has a non-intrusive story that is well worth your attention. Instead of only 12 weapon types like in MH, SS has about 75 distinct spells, although the number ends up being about 300 if you count the same spell with multiple elemental options to be several spells instead of one. In that aspect alone, Soul Sacrifice outclasses MH, and this is coming from a guy who invested over 900 hours between all of the PSP Monster Hunter games. The number of strategies is staggering, and you can even combine spells to create brand-new ones. Another thing "professional" reviewers have missed is the online portion. Most reviews admitted "our version didn't have online" or they were too lazy to try it on the free demo. The online portion is what makes this game shine. Online multiplayer, by the way, is something that the 3DS version lacked, and yet many reviewers gave that game a much higher score.

Also, if you ever read a review that complains "Soul Sacrifice is way too button mashy!", stop reading immediately, go into the corner of your browser or tab and click "X". Close that review and never look back. Any claim that the game is a button-masher is a lie. The reviewer obviously didn't play very far into the game, because button mashing will get you killed after the first hour or so of tutorial missions.

Check out gameplay for yourself. This is a great game. Don't let the "average" reviews fool you.
  6. Apr 30, 2013
    Excelent new IP on vita. Excelent mechanics, good multiplayer, great art work. its elements are totally diferent, its not a Monster Hunter and im glad for it. Dont forget that the game is goint to have free DLC, so theres gonna be a lot of battles. Dont forget that the best score is USER'S SCORE because we are impartial to any franchise, brand, developer, Definitely a must buy game for PS VITA
  7. May 1, 2013
    Soul Sacrifice is a fun title well suited for the Vita! Set in a dark, grotesque world, the story constantly pushes you to decide between saving a fallen foe/enemy or sacrifice them for benefits. If you save them, you'll hear their sincere gratitude but if you were to sacrifice them, you would hear their screams and pleas for mercy that may haunt some. This point of decision (betweenSoul Sacrifice is a fun title well suited for the Vita! Set in a dark, grotesque world, the story constantly pushes you to decide between saving a fallen foe/enemy or sacrifice them for benefits. If you save them, you'll hear their sincere gratitude but if you were to sacrifice them, you would hear their screams and pleas for mercy that may haunt some. This point of decision (between sacrifice or save) is what Creator Inafune intended to be the backbone of Soul Sacrifice.

Some of the Critic Reviews have pointed out that the game offers a button-mash gameplay or one that is not in-depth. I politely disagree and post my reasons:

(1) The timing of your attacks matters!
    You need to time your attacks (right before the enemy swipes at you) to unlock "Rewards" that would affect the kind of loot you get at the end of the battle. You can get the following "Rewards" when you time your attack properly
    Counter Achieved... Many Counters... Counter Madness... etc

(2) The combination of your attacks/spells matters!
    There is Elemental Vulnerability in this game which you can choose to chain and exploit
    Burn the enemy sufficiently... and it'll collapse in Inferno Hell (set ablazed)
    Freeze the enemy sufficiently... and it'll be stuck in Frozen Hell (frozen in its tracks)
    Jolt the enemy sufficiently... and it'll be stuck in a Stasis (paralysis)

but it does not end there... when you attack them with the right element in the aforementioned states... you unlock the Skilful Attack Reward
    So jolt the enemy when it is in Frozen Hell and you'll see the ice break apart and cause an amazing amount of damage!

(3) The kind of spells you use matters!
    Some reviewers have mentioned it's a button-mashing game. NO! you can't mash them when you have limited casts (you need to renew them if you run out of casts during battle.. and renewals don't come easily)

You can set up a shield to knock a charging enemy. While it's fumbling to get on its feet, steal the chance to get a few hits!
    You can set up trees that bear fruits (that give power-ups to you/allies when consumed) or to distract enemies/bosses as they try to consume it!

(4) Where you hit the enemy/boss matters!
    Is it really a spammy game where you find the best spells and just fire away? Not necessarily... Other than the elemental vulnerabilities explained earlier, bosses have specific cursed parts (weak points) that you can attack and exploit. If you were to destroy all the cursed points, you'll notice the enemy showing a difference in its movement (staggering? I noticed this for the Cerberus in the demo). So getting spells to hit those specific parts matter!

(5) To save or to sacrifice, your choice matters!
    This is probably something that Creator Inafune intended as a focal point of the game. Battles can get challenging and the player is forced to make sacrifices to defeat the bosses. You can choose to engage in the Forbidden Arts (Black Rites) that sacrifice a player attribute (defence/attack/speed/sight/etc) to deal tremendous damage to the enemies or hold them in place, etc.

Beyond that, when your ally falls, you choose whether to save them (at the cost of a portion of your health) or sacrifice them to deal an insane amount of damage to the enemy and lose the ally forever (well at least for the rest of the battle). When you fall, you make the choice whether to call for your allies to save or sacrifice you! The story/single-player mode plays alot into these as your hard-earned (saved) allies may choose to leave you if you were to sacrifice/save defeated bosses that is against their alignment

---

From what I played of the demo, the story is engaging and I did grow attached to the characters. The music adds on to the atmosphere of the game wonderfully. The suspend/standby feature of the Vita is well-exploited in this game as you can literally pause mid-way in any battle and immediately hop-in again later. The multiplayer is wonderful (as long as you get a team that knows what they are doing)

Get the game, you won't regret! :D
  8. May 1, 2013
    Having been eagerly anticipating this game, I am entirely satisfied that even after tearing through the demo there was loads more to kill in the main game and more of the sick story to be told. Truly the game gets a 10 for presentation and gameplay, I don't think it's a 100% Perfect game though I love the multiplayer, the communication layout is great, and the many sacrifices/saving you'reHaving been eagerly anticipating this game, I am entirely satisfied that even after tearing through the demo there was loads more to kill in the main game and more of the sick story to be told. Truly the game gets a 10 for presentation and gameplay, I don't think it's a 100% Perfect game though I love the multiplayer, the communication layout is great, and the many sacrifices/saving you're gonna do with people who you could either stomp the playground with or get kicked in the gonads over and over again (There's a world of difference between the newbs and the quick to learn)

I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys magic rpgs, multiplayer, and killing freakish monsters in crazy ways.
  9. May 14, 2013
    This is an absolute must buy for anyone that owns a PS Vita! If you don't own one, it is definitely worth buying one just for this game and with a playstation plus membership for only 17.99 (3 months) or 50.00(1 year) you get plenty of great Vita games for free that are updated every month and plenty of free PS3 games!

Soul Sacrifice proves what this system can do and there is even

Soul Sacrifice proves what this system can do and there is even plenty of room for graphics improvements and such, because the Vita hasn't even been fully unlocked, the CPU speed is limited I'm sure.
  10. Apr 30, 2013
    I had high expectations after reading all the hype leading up to the release of this game.

My expectations have been met, and in many ways exceeded. The graphics look fantastic, and the gameplay is vicious. I've been immersed from the moment I plugged it into my Vita, until now. I had to take a break. I wish I could say it was perfect or the best game I've ever played... but it's

I wish I could say it was perfect or the best game I've ever played... but it's just not.
    It is however a hell-uv-a game with so many magic upgrades you won't freakin believe, and some of the most badass monsters to fight. I am a Monster Hunter fan and I love lots of things about those games. However, Soul Sacrifice definitely has a much better story, and a better upgrade system.

Love em both... but for a while I'll be glued to SOUL SACRIFICE
  11. May 1, 2013
    Soul Sacrifice does not disappoint. I played the demo a ton, and the full game is only better. Tons of weapons, upgrades, main quests and side quests make this game a must-have RPG for the Vita. Is it good enough to go purchase a Vita to play? I wouldn't say so, but it is well worth the $40 if you already own a Vita. Plus, the 4 player online co-op adds extra bang for your buck. Pick thisSoul Sacrifice does not disappoint. I played the demo a ton, and the full game is only better. Tons of weapons, upgrades, main quests and side quests make this game a must-have RPG for the Vita. Is it good enough to go purchase a Vita to play? I wouldn't say so, but it is well worth the $40 if you already own a Vita. Plus, the 4 player online co-op adds extra bang for your buck. Pick this game up! Solid 8/10. Expand
  12. May 2, 2013
    This game is perfect example of masterpiece. Good graphics, fantastic and touching music, refined gameplay, interesting story. And it also has a lot of high level content and brilliant MP (in fact it is focused on it). It can be easily worth more than 90 hours of gameplay (I managed to get 20+ just in demo, and some of my friends got 30 in it) Definitely worth the money.
  13. May 25, 2013
    Very good game and very fun with a different take on it's story. The gameplay is challenging and makes it so every move you make is vital to the outcome of the battle. This game has one single con and that is that it is hard to go pure light if you play online. The game is much like my favorite handheld game Monster Hunter but is COMPLETELY different at the same time.
  14. May 15, 2013
    This game have a great storyline. In here death and life of the other people stay in your hand. It´s your decision. By the way, the system batlle and 400+ skills given longevity for this tittle. Is one must have in the ps vita system. Cry If you haven´t yet.
  15. May 6, 2013
    I've played 20+ hours of the demo, I've played 30+ of the game so far and I can whole-heartedly say that if you are into the hunter genre of games then this is a no-brainer. Also if you have a Vita and are over the age of 15, its a no-brainer.

JUST BUY THIS GAME.
  16. Apr 30, 2013
    Ótimo jogo, vários monstros bizarros e uma jogabilidade impecável! Perfeito para quem curte Monster Hunter Like, e um coop com croos-chat feito para as pessoas que querem longevidade no jogo.
  17. May 2, 2013
    This game is pretty freaking awesome. Not only does it have a wonderful style to it and a great story, but the gameplay is really well designed. The soundtrack was great, and never felt repetitive or boring to me. The graphics were done very well, except for the occasional muddy texture.
    The reason why the gameplay was so well designed, yet felt "dull" or "not thought out" to others, was that it wasn't intended to be the way that they were thinking of. For example, the reason why the game isn't so open is because it would lower the experience all around. This would happen because the game mostly focuses on fighting bosses or multiple enemies. Imagine just how much random objects in the terrain would get in the way or how much pointless running you'd have to do if it was that way. In all seriousness, they'd only add aesthetic to the game while ruining gameplay. Which is unacceptable I personally think. Another thing, was the spell limit. What if you could actually see how much of a spell you have left? That would honestly ruin an important aspect of the game for me. For example, once your spell starts to blink red and the game tells you that you're running out, you have to decide whether or not to risk getting another use out of it. You could just sacrifice something to get it back or restore your power from something on the map if you'd rather save your spell uses anyways.
    Rant aside, everything is pretty well balanced, and plays very nicely into the idea around sacrificing or saving something. This game has a pretty good balance between strategy, such as choosing your spells, levels, black rite, allies and arm carvings (forgot what they're called), while still maintaining a nice amount of difficulty. Sure, the game is lacking enemy diversity. But, I believe that they are fixing that with quite a few free content patches in the coming months (even then, I'd say it's still mostly about the boss fights).
    The lore fits so damn good with everything. All of the bosses have somewhat of a messed up backstory to them. Heck, even the story without looking at the lore is amazing too.
    All in all, I'd say this is one of my favorite games.
  18. May 2, 2013
    I was never a fan of Monster Hunter or Ragnarok. I wasn't of any RPG game, until i played this game! The 400+ skills the enemies. everything just blew my mind! I give it 9/10.
  19. May 4, 2013
    One of the best games for Vita and the one wich i fall in love. I think that it takes some Monster Hunters influences but it isnt a clone at all. Call it an evolution of this lineage of ARPG. You can choose to engage in a truly depth story, real console experience or just enjoy a movile expirience battle on the go. Cooperative multiplayer is great. Graphics are beautiful. The combat systemOne of the best games for Vita and the one wich i fall in love. I think that it takes some Monster Hunters influences but it isnt a clone at all. Call it an evolution of this lineage of ARPG. You can choose to engage in a truly depth story, real console experience or just enjoy a movile expirience battle on the go. Cooperative multiplayer is great. Graphics are beautiful. The combat system is really nice and the abilities an magical items herarchy very innovative. I dont know if this sacrifice gonna "save" the Vita....but this is the game that finally make me a proud Vita owner. Thanks SCEA!!!! Expand
  20. May 11, 2013
    Ótimo jogo,monstros bem bizarramente legal,ótima mecânica de jogo,enredo comovente e emocionante e grande variedade de ataques. O problema e a câmera e cenários repetitivos
  21. May 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Soul sacrifice, one of the most impressive, interesting and intriguing game that has you to spend countless hours fighting off the disgusting beings in this dark and atmospheric adventure.but I ask you this, could this game be the killer app of the Ps vita? Well allow me to explain why this game is one of the finest games I had ever play as of 2013.

First of all, let's talk about the story.you play as a prisoner,who will be the next victim of a cruel sorcerer's sacrifice. but all of a sudden ,your next door neighbor(another prisoner, of course) busts out and is killed during the event. only for you to find out about a living book, known as Librom. as you read on this book, you relive events of the author, revealed to be a sorcerer accompanying the villain, who seems to be a pretty nice guy at first.The game discriminates it self to it's similarities with the like of monster hunter, where the story is an addiciting novel to go though, all the way to the end.the build up to the end is indulging and not to mention there are sides stories involving 4 characters,who can be useful whilst playing offline, with their unique stories themselves. and the stories here are actually better than some best seller books (*cough*twilight*cough*).unlike any other games with good stories nowadays, there not alot of cut scenes, which is good because it's all in the book, containing a lot of back stories of the monsters themselves.

And now onto game play.There are 6 slots for your spells known as offerings.they can be only used in a fixed number of times.this reduces the needs to spam at early levels, and requires you to be strategic at early levels(let's face when you at the near end, you have offerings that can be used at anytime).and instead of a open world game,it's an arena based Action game,minus the need to collect herbs and minerals(but you collects shards though),in the form of a pact where you can fight the targets that must be sacrificed.Every pact can be a challenge, and challenges are fun! I also forgot that you can customize your character with a wide variety of costumes that you unlock throughout, but let's continue.you can play these by yourself or with friends via online multiplayer (which is essentially playing solo,but with more communications and laughs) and multipayer wise, i had only suffered a bit of lag, but it's a fun addition and the best highlight of Soul Sacrifice(if you have any patience).There are some bad things,which will be told later.

Also, the graphics in this game is impressive,sure that it's not criysis or killzone mercenary, but it's good as a handheld game.the character models do not move their mouths when they speak(not a bad thing for the record) and there is no such texture pop ins as i played my copy for some reason.the sound is very good,but only for the monsters,minions and spells.the orchestra is done by skywalker sound, famous for star wars and Indiana Jones, which is a wise choice as the soundtrack sounds beautiful and relevant to the game it's self.

But for the record, the game is REPETITIVE at best.You don't fight the same monsters again but will bump into many palate swaps at times, and can be boring at times.For example,there are three rollers, the jack-o-lantern,jack frost and the gargoyle.the the three fight as the same,but one of them is on fire, the other is rock hard and the other guy is well... the name says it all.it's just like every other rpg to date, it's repetitive when grinding and this is an obvious candidate.Oh and for those who expecting Hollywood voice acting, look elsewhere! Soul sacrifice does not have a bad voice acting but it very annoying when somebody says "feisty bugger" for the trillionth time, in English!but it does grow on to you especially Librom himself.

Despite all of the things that make me want to stop playing, the game is very massive in content so expect to play over 30+ worth of game play.so does that mean it's the killer app of the ps vita? not really,but that doesn't mean this game sucks.don't get me wrong,this may be my first review, but i love this game,even to defeat every single boss by myself.All i have to do is get all the trophies and i'm done.
    Overall, the game is a Must for anyone who owns a vita and it's willing to pay for £30-40 a game and I promise you, you will have a blast with this on you journeys, like I did.may not be the bet, but with a lot of support for this ip, Sony is way ahead of the gaming industry.So do expect some DLC.

This is my first review ever, so feel free to disagree with me and hate all you want!
  22. Jul 4, 2013
    This game is different in a good way. It has very interesting story and nice graphics. I think this game is one of a kind. I like how the online works even though there are no many players. I'm looking forward to more games that take risk and try to do something new.
  23. Nov 6, 2014
    One of my favorites on the Vita, the game is phenomenal. Soul Sacrifice has: addictive and challenging gameplay, a good story and concept, and two paths to choose from. What I mean by that is if you choose to save or sacrifice a being. It's simple, saving will increase your life level, it will increase your defense and recovery, not HP though. OR, you can sacrifice, which will raise yourOne of my favorites on the Vita, the game is phenomenal. Soul Sacrifice has: addictive and challenging gameplay, a good story and concept, and two paths to choose from. What I mean by that is if you choose to save or sacrifice a being. It's simple, saving will increase your life level, it will increase your defense and recovery, not HP though. OR, you can sacrifice, which will raise your magic level, increases attack damage. You can choose one or both. The game starts off easy, but a little while later, the game will punch your face. lol. If you're into Monster Hunter and/or like 3rd person action games, Then I really suggest and recommend you get this game if you have a Vita. Countless hours poured into the game. BUT, I suggest you get SS Delta instead, it's the same game, but with more content. Expand
  24. May 2, 2013
    The game is fantastic! I have been waiting for this game to release for awhile now, and I can say with confidence I am not dissapointed. The graphics are amazing, the combat is smooth and enjoyable, the story keeps you interested, and the lore section fills in all the details. The online portion is very entertaining, and has a good amount of depth.

I don't review games very often, but

I don't review games very often, but since "professional" reviewers are giving this game a hard time, I felt I should give my opinion on the game. This game is a must buy IMO, and it ranks up there with Persona 4 Golden, and Gravity Rush.

TLDR version= Buy this game.
  25. May 1, 2013
    This game is simply perfect, comparing it to Monster Hunter is an insult to both games, as if it was meant to be a competition or simply stating that SS is a replacement or clone of sorts. It plays very well, the story is told in a really creative way and the soundtrack is next to the brilliance of Chrono Trigger's. My advice is to ignore any review of 6 and below, my opinion is that theyThis game is simply perfect, comparing it to Monster Hunter is an insult to both games, as if it was meant to be a competition or simply stating that SS is a replacement or clone of sorts. It plays very well, the story is told in a really creative way and the soundtrack is next to the brilliance of Chrono Trigger's. My advice is to ignore any review of 6 and below, my opinion is that they only read EDGE's review and, as Nintendo Fanboys, just assume it is a clone of Monster Hunter, which in fact is not, play the Demo just to see. The only too problems I had were the Voice Acting (you can replace with the Japanese one if you want) and some textures, but the latter can be patched. Expand
  26. Apr 30, 2013
    Absolutely blow my mind, awesome itemization, you get ways to play instead of irons to wear and only see it moving, 400+ skills to customizate your toon whith your own style, great longevity with the magics level up system, and a wonderful online! also the difficulty of the game is really challenging!
  27. Apr 30, 2013
    It's wonderfully dark, packed with clever and unexpected ideas. The plot, if you spend time and thought piecing it together, is decidedly above average. The gameplay could be called repetitive, but I find it to be so multilayered and to have so many subtle complexities that I have yet to tire of it after playing both the demo and the game.

I wasn't sold on this one until I tried it, but

I wasn't sold on this one until I tried it, but by golly it's clever and unexpected and has incredible production values, all in a format perfectly suited to portable play. This makes the Vita worthwhile.
  28. Apr 30, 2013
    In my opinion is a zillion times better than monster hunter, not that it is the same or similar, but many think it would be a "copy" of the MH. Only the story is worth more than all the MH all together. Best game vita today and one of the best of the year.
  29. Apr 30, 2013
    Let me start by saying this game is NOT Monster Hunter, if you're gonna dive in this game thinking this is Monster Hunter you won't have to much fun. Now putting that a side this game is down right gritty, disturbing, and out of the world. The combat system isn't your typical hack and slash with a sword/weapon instead you go in battle as a magician with countless customization(not in theLet me start by saying this game is NOT Monster Hunter, if you're gonna dive in this game thinking this is Monster Hunter you won't have to much fun. Now putting that a side this game is down right gritty, disturbing, and out of the world. The combat system isn't your typical hack and slash with a sword/weapon instead you go in battle as a magician with countless customization(not in the sense of making your own spell, but many variety of spells) spells in the game. The core of the game is well as the title says "Soul Sacrifice" You either become dark by sacrificing them for power, or you can grant a monster/boss/fiend salvation and save them to gain defensive attributes over power which is consider "holy". This game takes place as you wake up in a cage filled with bones and the atmosphere is dark very dark it seems hopeless till the "Librom" the book a that you'll be reading which tells you many tales of a sorcerer that went on and do his bidding. Which you'll be controlling to tell the story of the sorcerer becoming a dark mage or a holy mage. Each chapter is broken down into missions, which you'll be undertaking. These mission starts out in a small map where you'll be fighting minions then go on toward the big boss "Archfiends or witches" Which from that point you go into battle granting them "salvation" or "justice". Sadly this game is NOT open world, but this does not set it back by much because this game has so much countless content in the game such as "Rites" which are very powerful spells that comes with a price. Such as, sacrificing your eyes to gain control of a powerful magic spells for a short period of time but losing vision because of you sacrificing your eyes. THESE must be repair upon use and the way you repair them is with Lacrims which are obtained after every stage by talking to the Librom, these are also use to repair spells if they have been use to much in a battle where they are broken, fear not if you do not exhaust the spells you went into battle with they will auto restore upon quest success or failure. This game has a 2 way leveling system it's very unique if you ask me, first off when you save a monster you gain "Holy Exp" thus leveling up your holy gauge, and when you sacrifice a monster you gain "Dark Exp" when the gauges fill up for either of the 2 it will level up. I.E. Holy Level 2/Dark Level 1. There's a catch though, as your maximum output is 100 so if you want to be the holy guardian you would want Level 99 Holy/Level 1 Dark, but if you want pure destruction you want Level 1 Holy/Level 99 Dark(There is no level 0) If you're wondering upon level up is it permanent? No this is where most game should learn, you can actually use the Lacrims you obtain from quest to DOWNLEVEL your character I.E. Level 40 Holy/Level 30 Dark>Use Lacrims to lower Level 40 Holy to Level 39 Holy. It makes for wonderful build if you weren't satisfy with the old build you had. The Multiplier aspect of this game is where the game will be where the fun starts. A maximum of 4 players can join forces to conquer the "Avalon pact quest" in which by going in you must team up and fight, but worry this if you're doing a bad job and constantly dying and you happen to join a group of people that get's very annoyed they can actually Sacrifice you and taking you out of the fight for a short burst of powerful Magic damage to the entire map. This in my opinion is a horrible way to die and not get rewards such as the essence/exp of the boss. I won't cover much for multiplayer due to the fact I haven't played on the full release of the game yet(This game requires an online pass that is not valid yet, since I got it early I'm fine with that) This is my first review and I hope you guys enjoy it. This game is a blast it will take your soul with the countless grinding you'll be doing. Expand
  30. Apr 30, 2013
    Monster Hunter should take notes. Replace the magic with weapons and this is what monster hunter should be. When I hit X to dodge I DODGE, and when I heal myself it doesn't require a 45 min animation that leaves you unreasonably vulnerable.
  31. Apr 30, 2013
    Great effort by Inafune and co. Well realized lore and world, but a bit lacking in story and characterization. Do not purchase if you like button mashing games. Not necessarily for the Monster Hunter fans. Try the demo before plunging in.
  32. Aug 18, 2014
    For me this was the system seller game. A really great RPG that starts slowly only a few spells but later on the game opens up and you find yourself in a really deeply customizable RPG that needs time and some times google to understand the mechanics. The story is let's just say that it can touch your heart and has interesting twists and character development. If you don't want to play theFor me this was the system seller game. A really great RPG that starts slowly only a few spells but later on the game opens up and you find yourself in a really deeply customizable RPG that needs time and some times google to understand the mechanics. The story is let's just say that it can touch your heart and has interesting twists and character development. If you don't want to play the story mode in Avalon Pacts you can still find a ton of quests that can help you level up, earn new spells and get some more allies.
    There's multiplayer too so if you need any help or play with your friends you are able to do that too via wi-fi or Ad-hoc still alive and well.
    The game sometimes can get a little bit repetitive but the game eases this feeling by throwing new types of enemies in front of you so you need to change up your gamestyle sometimes.
    Overall a must have for the Vita if you like RPGs and the sacrifice/save mechanics are interesting and has an effect on your gamestyle and how other NPCs are looking at you.
    For trophy hunters for me it took 65 hours to get that platinum and there were still places that I didn't touched.
  33. Jun 24, 2013
    Good game
    But you need an open map and sequential story and beautiful dialogues
    You also need to key weapon such as a sword or ax in order to be a beautiful game!
  34. May 5, 2013
    My only complaint about this game: the online support seems dodgy at the moment.

That said; this game has a great story and a great way of telling that story. While at first the "battle arenas" gameplay seems a bit odd, once you get into the game you start to realize that it fits the storytelling method perfectly. I actually love their decision to use this method whereas in many other games where they do this I hate it, due to poor implimentation.

Great combat system lots of customization options, really nice sound effects and music although the voice overs could stand to have a bit more variety or at least be a little less frequent. Graphics are right on, far above what i'd expect for a handheld game.

I'd say a lot of reviewers didnt play anymore than the demo, or theyd probably have a different opinion.
  35. Aug 24, 2013
    Soul Sacrifice has a different way of playing that makes you feel involved with the plot. Most of the story is told by reading a book with audio. We are used to play games watching cutscenes, but with this game things work differently and I think it raises the immersion. But as a consequence it makes the game a little repetitive. You read some part of the book then you go to a battle. AndSoul Sacrifice has a different way of playing that makes you feel involved with the plot. Most of the story is told by reading a book with audio. We are used to play games watching cutscenes, but with this game things work differently and I think it raises the immersion. But as a consequence it makes the game a little repetitive. You read some part of the book then you go to a battle. And there's not much a variety of monsters, the only thing that really changes about them is the element type.

Despite of the repetition, I really recommend that you play this game. Not only you get involved with the story, but the gameplay is very fun. There is a lot of customizations that you can make with spells and discover the best combinations for certain enemies. In order to beat the game you have to grind and that's when the repetition comes stronger. Fortunately, the developers are releasing free DLCs to expand the experience with new quests. I also have to highlight the amazing soundtrack.
  36. Aug 7, 2013
    This game... It's simply amazing! I've been curious about it but went directly to my local retailer after having tried the demo. There's a very unique and interesting story, awesome skill-based gameplay but the multiplayer is pure mind-blowing.
  37. Jun 19, 2013
    My second favorite ps vita title for now. Love the gameplay only got a little annoyed for the same fights and repetition so i gave it a 9. It would be a 10 if it wasn't repetitive. Apart from that it has a excellent story that will make you feel bad for the characters and for the main character too. Hours of fun are guaranteed! If you like fast paced RPG games you really have to play itMy second favorite ps vita title for now. Love the gameplay only got a little annoyed for the same fights and repetition so i gave it a 9. It would be a 10 if it wasn't repetitive. Apart from that it has a excellent story that will make you feel bad for the characters and for the main character too. Hours of fun are guaranteed! If you like fast paced RPG games you really have to play it and you will love it! One of the best ps vita games so far and i think it is a little under-rated but still consider it a great game with a big variety of weapons and spells and sacrifices and you will need to choose the good side or the bad side! Expand
  38. May 2, 2013
    Absolutely astounding. One of the best vita games out there. Every piece of it is amazing. The spells are really cool, the animations(except the walking one) are really good. The monsters aren't as memorable as monster hunters monsters(example: Tigrex, Rathian) but they are fun to fight. This game is loads of fun, and worth a buy if you like action RPG's at all. There's tons to do in theAbsolutely astounding. One of the best vita games out there. Every piece of it is amazing. The spells are really cool, the animations(except the walking one) are really good. The monsters aren't as memorable as monster hunters monsters(example: Tigrex, Rathian) but they are fun to fight. This game is loads of fun, and worth a buy if you like action RPG's at all. There's tons to do in the game, and more to come in free dlc later. Expand
  39. Dec 6, 2013
    What. A. Game! Impressive and touchy story that will grow on you, better than any book or movie I've read or seen, ever. Awesome gameplay, fun multiplayer, jaw-dropping graphics all of that accompanied with a beautiful musical score. My top favorite game on Vita, hands down.

If you don't have a PS Vita yet, please do yourself a favor and get one WITH this masterpiece of game. Really, what a game...
  40. Jun 23, 2013
    This is one of my favorite games. If you have a Vita and likes to play with other people, definitely get the Soul Sacrifice. You have so many ways to customize your character build. In this sense it's like the Diablo 3. The game is formed in different quests so it's suitable for handheld you can stop after each quest. The story is deep too. Although there's no cut scene so don't expect itThis is one of my favorite games. If you have a Vita and likes to play with other people, definitely get the Soul Sacrifice. You have so many ways to customize your character build. In this sense it's like the Diablo 3. The game is formed in different quests so it's suitable for handheld you can stop after each quest. The story is deep too. Although there's no cut scene so don't expect it like the normal JRPG. it's not. It's an action RPG. You choose to sacrifice or safe after each kill, and that will affect how your character grows as well as the story. Expand
  41. May 4, 2013
    Absoultely underrated game. I didn't like monster hunter freedom, but this is one of the more addicting and balanced games I have played in a while. All I can say is give it a try, especially if your skeptical. The story and good gameplay will keep you entertained for hours on end.Fyi: I don't give out 10's or 1's
  42. May 5, 2013
    I don't know why people even mention Monster Hunter, it has nothing to do with that besides having a 3rd person camera.

Most of the things I'd say have already been said, so just one thing. Read the Lore! Really, it's that good. I seldom read text in games, because usually even the not-so-good books outperform games in this area, but not in this case. Each monster and location has it's own dark tale, and it's really good, reminds me of Neil Gaiman. Great atmosphere and even something to think about sometimes. I loved how they twisted around the usual fantasy rpg monsters you see in most of these games and gave them brand new identities. And it really make the game more enjoyable if you know how that monster in front of you came to be and why it does what it does. For me it even influenced my decision to sacrifice it or not.
  43. May 5, 2013
    Nice monster hunter inspired game not as good best vita game of the year though.
    Two words to explain :)

Here's how many possible ways to play the game 97555788484993966656898886544336789913567754446777
  44. May 12, 2013
    All I can say is this game is awesome. Those who are into action RPG should definitely pick this one up. It's all about gathering the right stuff to make yourself powerful and kill the bosses. The big baddies are the heart of the game and especially killing them online with a group and sorcerers is freakin fun. I was especially disappointed with the low value that I got from Diablo 3 lastAll I can say is this game is awesome. Those who are into action RPG should definitely pick this one up. It's all about gathering the right stuff to make yourself powerful and kill the bosses. The big baddies are the heart of the game and especially killing them online with a group and sorcerers is freakin fun. I was especially disappointed with the low value that I got from Diablo 3 last year and this game fills the void perfectly. Ignore the noob reviews I'm 50 hours in and still enjoying it. Diablo 3 fun factor wore out at around the 15 hour mark. Expand
  45. May 16, 2013
    I have never been into RPG's. Reason being I sat and watched a friend the year Final Fantasy 7 came out for hours on end point/click/attack. Boring...Unbelievably boring. I created a Metacritic account just for this game, just to leave a review for this game. This is the first RPG I have ever played and I am in LOVE with it. Fantastic story, dark and grimy lore. The spells that you earnI have never been into RPG's. Reason being I sat and watched a friend the year Final Fantasy 7 came out for hours on end point/click/attack. Boring...Unbelievably boring. I created a Metacritic account just for this game, just to leave a review for this game. This is the first RPG I have ever played and I am in LOVE with it. Fantastic story, dark and grimy lore. The spells that you earn are extremely satisfying to use, especially when you combine them and make them more powerful. I don't mind "repetitiveness" apparently, so "grinding for "loot" is fun. I'm about 25 hours in and I am STILL finding new spells to use. For newcomers to the RPG genre I would more than recommend this. The frame-rate is rock solid and online multi-player is a blast. Plenty of people to play with and loads of fun to be had. I rate this game a solid 9.5 for originality and the release a new IP. I am baffled at the low scores from any outlet or user. I honestly don't believe you could rate this game anything lower than 8 out of a 1-10 scale. With loads of content and free content on the way I don't believe you can go wrong.
    Gameplay: 9 (Unique weapons to fight bosses that have vulnerabilities. Ice for fire/Stone for Ice etc.)
    Story: 9 (Originality alone)
    Graphics: 7.5 (A few muddy textures here and there, but not noticeable during play unless you are looking for it. Even less so during frantic battles.) (Compare to Uncharted: Golden Abyss which in my mind sits at a solid 8.5)
    Replayability: 10 (There is more than enough content to last you hours upon hours of play. Online multiplayer stretches this out even further. Not to mention the free DLC missions to be released.)
    Final Score: 9.5 (New original IP with tons of content. Original intriguing story coupled with morality choices that you affect directly.)
    Verdict: Buy and thank Keiji Inafune later ^_^
  46. Jun 19, 2013
    Soul Sacrifice is awesome. Gameplay is fun, deep, and extremely satisfying. The amount of spells is incredible and allows for near infinite customizations. Want to conjure an axe and slash your foes? Want to summon a giant golem to slam the enemy? Want to lob grenades or launch projectiles? Or morph into a flaming mass and crush the opponent? You can have all these spells and moreSoul Sacrifice is awesome. Gameplay is fun, deep, and extremely satisfying. The amount of spells is incredible and allows for near infinite customizations. Want to conjure an axe and slash your foes? Want to summon a giant golem to slam the enemy? Want to lob grenades or launch projectiles? Or morph into a flaming mass and crush the opponent? You can have all these spells and more available in any mission at any time. The enemies can get repetitive but killing them with different spells keeps the gameplay fresh. Plus the arch fiends (bosses) are always fun to battle. Multiplayer is very fun and adds a new angle on battles that would normally be the same ol' same. Graphics are spectacular. I love the sorcerers multiple outfits and arms. And the enemy designs are downright gruesome. This game can be fun in short bursts or hours at a time, which is perfect for the vita. Since I've had the game two FREE dlc missions were released. Hopefully more to come. I suggest this game to any action-rpg fan or any rpg fan for that matter. Pick up a copy and enjoy the sacrifice (or save)! Expand
  47. Oct 22, 2013
    I found it more interesting than monster hunter series. I don't agree with those who said it was void of depth, it has a story, if this game is void of depth, MH will be a joke.
  48. Dec 30, 2013
    First game on my vita it exceeded my expectations. Everything in this game just blends together,the control mechanics the atmosphere. It may be repetitive but it's also rewarding. Lots of skills to use and the story was great with a superb music to boot highly recommended
  49. Apr 30, 2014
    I gotta say, Soul Sacrifice is a good game. Good enough for me to make my own account on Metacritic to write this down. But now, I'll go into detail:

In SS, you play a prisoner in a bone cell. You've been imprisoned by Magusar, an insane sorcerer who imprisons beings for their souls, so he can remain immortal. However, there's a silver lining in the game: You come across a sentient book that allows you to relive memories of a late sorcerer, with quests and the like.

Exposition aside, SS's gameplay is similar to Monster Hunter, but with more spells and fewer weapons. You have the capacity to hold 6 spells at a time, and each spell has a limited amount of uses. If you use a spell too much, it becomes locked and unusable, which can only be reversed with special droplets called Lacrima. Lacrima is obtained after quests, and finding enough lacrima wasn't a big challenge for me. Lacrima is also used to reverse permanent effects of powerful spells called rites and reviving fallen teammates.

The world and story in SS is actually intriguing, but only just. It's easy to feel like you're in a dream, living the memories of the book. Librom, the magical book you talk to, is mildly amusing, but not hilarious.

As an RPG, SS does well for a portable game. Character customization is good enough, but isn't even necessary to me. There's a crafting system which takes some getting used to but is fairly straightforward, and your teammates are decent, but can clash with your techniques. For every monster you defeat, you can choose to save or sacrifice its soul. Saving boosts EXP towards defense, and sacrificing boosts EXP towards attack. In boss battles, your teammates have their own reservations towards saving or sacrificing the boss depending on their moral state. If you do the opposite of what a companion wants, they can leave you and will be unusable. This can be reversed with lacrima however, so the choices don't seem too compelling.

While having a single player experience, SS also has a multiplayer experience, but it requires an online pass, which is a huge downside. My experience with the Vita multiplayer on wi-fi is expecting latency issues already, but paying 10 dollars for a likely waste isn't something I want to do at all.

Overall:
    +Good customization, combat and story
    +Good pick up and play
    +Diverse characters
    +Good experience system
    -Repetitive levels and quests
    -Online pass required for multiplayer
    -Occasionally annoying teammates
    -Reward system could be better
  50. Jan 14, 2015
    It is not a game of perfection and quality of a Final Fantasy, but is a great title for the Vita, fluid animations and interesting history. A great RPG that is worth buying.

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Soul Sacrifice is a heavy action-rpg with a great moral choice system. Even if the camera controls are poor and there are a few graphical quirks the developer Marvelous AQL delivers an awesome game with lots of replayability. If you own a PS Vita you owe yourself to play this game.
  2. The gameplay is smooth and every spell is designed to be both cool and useful. The environments are well crafted, ranging from icy plains mired with huge chains to forests filled with bizarre trees covered in throbbing blood veins. [June 2013, p.88]
  3. Soul Sacrifice isn’t the deepest Action-RPG out there, but it’s certainly one of the most interesting, and it feels right at home on PS Vita. [July 2013, p78]