Sound Shapes PlayStation Vita

7.7

1. Oct 14, 2013
    Original musical platformer, whose strength lies in its simple to use editor, where you can quickly and easily bring your ideas to life and share them with community.
  2. Jul 23, 2013
    This is a AMAZING (rhythm) game, why you may ask... well... It has good visuals, comfortable, simple controls, a GREAT level editor, and a great online community.

The only thing partially wrong with this game is the campaign mode, because it is very short, and you can beat it in under 2 hours, but after you beat the campaign you get basically a challenge mode to give you a little more to do.

Anyway, this game gets a 10 out of 10 from me and I recommend this game to anyone.
  3. Aug 7, 2012
    I bought the game in the morning and playing since then, It is awesome game, It is a steal at 15$ for both Vita and ps3. Everything about the game simply rocks, buy it if you love platformers, customization, infinite gameplay , music, trophies, art, graphics or casual games...well I only hope that the menu interface for community levels is changed...i would feel more happy if there wereI bought the game in the morning and playing since then, It is awesome game, It is a steal at 15$ for both Vita and ps3. Everything about the game simply rocks, buy it if you love platformers, customization, infinite gameplay , music, trophies, art, graphics or casual games...well I only hope that the menu interface for community levels is changed...i would feel more happy if there were options for top rated levels, top played, most favorite users and highly rated and things like that. Expand
  4. Aug 9, 2012
    It's not quite PSVita's killer app but its very unique, a lot of fun & infinitely re-playable. Starts out easy and slowly ramps up the difficulty, rewarding you constantly with new parts you can use to create your own levels. Will keep players entertained until LittleBigPlanet Vita is released next month. Well worth the $12 I payed for it plus I get the PS3 version as well so I canIt's not quite PSVita's killer app but its very unique, a lot of fun & infinitely re-playable. Starts out easy and slowly ramps up the difficulty, rewarding you constantly with new parts you can use to create your own levels. Will keep players entertained until LittleBigPlanet Vita is released next month. Well worth the $12 I payed for it plus I get the PS3 version as well so I can double up on the trophies :) Buy it now, you can't go wrong. Expand
  5. Aug 11, 2012
    Superb. The only thing that could make this game any better is the ability to make a loop longer than 4 measures. Musicians will love this game but will desire a little MORE with the music creation. One of the best VITA games out there, if not the best. Get it. Play it. Create.
  6. Aug 14, 2012
    This is a portuguese review. Please say yes for this!

This is a portuguese review. Please say yes for this!

Sound Shapes é completamente diferente dos jogos de ritmo ou musicais que temos até hoje, é único! Imagine um game de aventura (como Little Big Planet por exemplo, onde você pode até mesmo criar suas fases e compartilhar na comunidade do jogo) que é desafiador e que ao mesmo tempo passa algo além da mera experiência da jogabilidade. As músicas, que também são fases, passam ao jogador uma experiência que vai além do objetivo de se chegar ao seu fim, ou destino. É possível sentir a evolução da música conforme se progride na aventura entre as telas. Cada música realmente tem uma história para contar e cada álbum confeccionado pelos artistas convidados tem sua marca característica. É uma excelente compra e vale cada centavo! Mesmo que sejam poucos álbuns e músicas. Ademais, o excelente sistema online ainda tem fases pouco criativas e superficiais, mas isso pode ser atribuído por ser ainda os primeiros dias de contato com a engine de confecção de fases pelos novos jogadores deste título - o qual enfatizo que têm um grande potencial para receber inúmeros DLC´s. Sound Shapes é considerado épico pela originalidade da proposta diferenciada aos gamers já cansados da mesmice em se tratando de jogos musicais. Compre já!
  7. Aug 7, 2012
    Do you like music games? Then get Sound Shapes, the most innovative game of 2012, it has a great gameplay perfect for your Vita, its very addictive and has many content.
  8. Aug 8, 2012
    Crazy good is the only way i can describe it. Think maybe super mario bros 2d sidescrolling simple gameplay mixed with a music game. Almost every bad guy or object can create a beat in the game to add the the background music. As you collect coins, more and more notes of the song play until finally at the end, you have the complete song in the background. I didn't think I would like thisCrazy good is the only way i can describe it. Think maybe super mario bros 2d sidescrolling simple gameplay mixed with a music game. Almost every bad guy or object can create a beat in the game to add the the background music. As you collect coins, more and more notes of the song play until finally at the end, you have the complete song in the background. I didn't think I would like this game at all, but once i tried it, i couldn't stop. I played the campaign almost the whole way through. I did a few "albums" as they call the stages of the game. each stage has 4 levels. I did the first one and had fun. Then I skipped ahead to deadmau5's album. It was epic. Pixellated space invader style graphics and gameplay to his beats. That should have took me over the top, but then I played Beck's album. I am not even a fan of his music, but his levels looked like a pink floyd concert. EPIC! The campaign isn't big at all, but it gives an idea of what can be created in the level editor which is the most important part of this game. If they keep the DLC flowing and the community keeps making levels, this game could be bigger than little big planet for sony. Without question, purchase this game. You get the identical ps3 version for free and it allows you to do cloud syncing instantly from vita to ps3, ps3 to vita without any waiting. This is my new favorite game :) Expand
  9. Aug 8, 2012
    I saw one review that listed Sound Shapes' short Campaign mode as one of it's shortcomings.

That reviewer clearly missed the point. The Campaign mode can be completed in a day. It isn't about the Campaign mode. Like LittleBigPlanet before it, Campaign mode is only intended to be a launching pad for the REAL star of the show. The Community. Though the game was just released

That reviewer clearly missed the point.

The Community.

Though the game was just released yesterday there are already some nice levels in the Community. I can pick up my Vita and play new levels for as long as I can because of the Community. I can follow users who create levels that I like and others can follow me.

As a musician, the music creation is a thing of beauty for me. I'm working on my first created level and I'm absolutely in love. I can express myself musically and share it for the world to see. Being able to start a level on my PS3, sync to the cloud, and then pick it back up on my Vita is pretty cool as well.

I think DLC (extra albums, extra sound effects, extra tools) is a safe bet. Sound Shapes looks like it was MADE for DLC. Even if there isn't any DLC, there are enough tools and sounds available for the Community to last for a very long time. Sound Shapes combines platforming and music creation to form a refreshing, unique experience. If you like platformers, buy Sound Shapes.

If you like music, buy Sound Shapes.

If you like chasing High Scores, buy Sound Shapes.

If you like.......you know what? Just buy Sound Shapes.
  10. Aug 16, 2012
    Jedna z najlepszych do tej pory gierek na PS Vita. Sound Shape to nowatorska i nietuzinkowa produkcja, która z każdą kolejną minutą i każdym kolejnym etapem wywołuje kolejne fale uśmiechu i niedowierzania.
    Za 48zł otrzymujemy najbardziej kreatywną grę na Vitę. Jest to musowa pozycja dla osób kochających muzykę elektroniczna i nie tylko oraz wszystkich tych, którzy uwielbiają tworzyć coś własnego. Jednym z elementów Sound Shape jest niesamowity edytor, który umożliwia tworzenie własnych plansz/etapów/krain. Otrzymujemy w tym celu zestaw wszystkich elementów, które spotkaliśmy w kampanii, dając nam nieograniczone pole do popisu. Jedynym ograniczeniem staje się nasza wyobraźnia.
    Jest to fenomenalna produkcja, która powinna być wgrana na stałe w każdą Vitę.
  11. Oct 17, 2012
    Sound Shapes is amazing. The music, art direction, aesthetic feel and portability are elements that come together to make this a must have single player experience for any Vita owner. What? Oh, wait, there's also user generated content, which essentially blows the game wide open. This is where it shines, and where the community drives the experience. I've beaten Super Marios and Super MeatSound Shapes is amazing. The music, art direction, aesthetic feel and portability are elements that come together to make this a must have single player experience for any Vita owner. What? Oh, wait, there's also user generated content, which essentially blows the game wide open. This is where it shines, and where the community drives the experience. I've beaten Super Marios and Super Meat Boys, Limbos and Bit Trips, Braids and Mega Men, and I have little to no incentive to replay them after I've seen the credits roll. But you know what? I've replayed the Sound Shapes campaign stages numerous times as inspiration for the level I'm creating or intend to create. I check up on the community often to see how much it has matured and also to use as further inspiration. The game is still in its infancy, yet I can easily think of 40+ user levels that I've played and thoroughly enjoyed. Check out users like Daftbomb, TonyTough, The BeejAbides, and many others who have contributed to the experience (myself included). Games like this do not come around often. I can't give this anything less than a 10. Expand
  12. Aug 28, 2012
    It feels so organic, fluid and unique that it\'s impossible to not fall under it\'s charm. That said, there isn\'t an awful lot to it. Certainly for Vita owners, this is something worth looking for.
  13. Sep 19, 2012
    I had a lot of fun with this game. The music part of it is a bit over rated, but the levels are diverse and fun, and they're never infuriating even when you die 50 times in a row because the checkpoints are on almost every screen.

Playing the actual levels will only take you 2 or 3 hours, but there seemed to be around 10 fun community made levels too. And the levels that come with the game don't feel very repetitive, so replayability is good.

Then there's the level editor, which you're introduced to when you first start the game, and just want to finish so you can get to playing. But when you actually want to make a level it's a lot of fun too, even placing everything on the smaller Vita screen is fine.
  14. Aug 17, 2012
    great game, played on the vita, then cloud synced my save to get 2 platinums.
    it had some great tunes, but a few were annoying. the death mode levels weren't too bad, just a few were frustrating. i love these creative downloadable games...in the same class as journey & papo & yo for me.
  15. Sep 29, 2012
    How many games can you say took you places? every game you say? well that's true. You've been to the mushroom kingdom, the city of rapture and any other place in any other game. However I can tell you with no doubt that Sound shapes will take you some place you've never been before. This game is a music game like no other, it's not a dance game or instrument game where you interact withHow many games can you say took you places? every game you say? well that's true. You've been to the mushroom kingdom, the city of rapture and any other place in any other game. However I can tell you with no doubt that Sound shapes will take you some place you've never been before. This game is a music game like no other, it's not a dance game or instrument game where you interact with the music, or a DJ game where you make the music, but a game that literally puts you in the music. every platform you touch has a rhythmic effect to the song, every coin you collect another note in the loop, and every level from start to finish is a song track that you simply couldn't capture on a iPod or MP3. However do not expect this same experience from death mode which allows you to earn trophies. Death mode is a platforming challenge that shuns music entirely and cuts out exploration. instead you must collect a certain number of coins in a certain amount of time while avoiding death. This is a departure from the sounds shapes you will come to know over the regular tracks but it is still a good option for the trophy hunters and platforming masochist. Expand
  16. Nov 29, 2012
    If you like little big planet, music making games and platform games, then give this game a shot! I loved it, making levels is great with the Vita functionality i.e. touch screen and the music editor is fantastic fun. On line allows for players to submit levels and enjoy the community created levels. Lots of fun for little money 9/10
  17. Nov 28, 2012
    Let me say this is a great game for vita. I loved how buying the vita version scored me a free ps3 copy. That is one plus. Another great thing is the cross saves are really convenient. Now the negative things I have to say are how you can't download user generated content. You can in LBP vita which is great (on my review i gave it a 10) but i would love that in the future for SoundLet me say this is a great game for vita. I loved how buying the vita version scored me a free ps3 copy. That is one plus. Another great thing is the cross saves are really convenient. Now the negative things I have to say are how you can't download user generated content. You can in LBP vita which is great (on my review i gave it a 10) but i would love that in the future for Sound Shapes. Another problem was that some of the death challenges are WAY too hard, but if you just keep trying you will eventually get lucky (that's how i beat them)

PLUS: Great, fun game... Cross buy and cross save... Cheap $15 price
    MINUS: Some death mode challenges are too challenging... no downloadable user generated content
  18. Dec 5, 2012
    It's a great game for a portable, as the levels are pretty short and addictive. It's all about timing, and the game's artwork make the experience worth it. Besides, for all trophy obsessed out there, platinum either vita or ps3 version and get the other platinum trophy with no extra effort :)
  19. Mar 7, 2013
    I completely fell in love with this game! I found myself smiling a great deal while playing. The music was good, the visuals were fantastic and I adored the gameplay.
  20. Jan 3, 2013
    Fantastic game. I have never played a platform game that had music play such an intrinsic part. It's a simple idea very well executed. The final level with Beck's music was my particular favourite. If you love music, video games or even art you should play this game.
  21. Mar 6, 2013
    If you like Indie Games, you will sink alot of time into Sound Shapes, especially if you have a Vita. As part of Sony’s Cross-Buy initiative, if you buy it once, you get it twice, for Vita and PS3, with your save being carried over whenever you play. Imagine sitting on a flight, a train or bus, creating new tracks or playing some of the community ones to kill some time, and with Death ModeIf you like Indie Games, you will sink alot of time into Sound Shapes, especially if you have a Vita. As part of Sony’s Cross-Buy initiative, if you buy it once, you get it twice, for Vita and PS3, with your save being carried over whenever you play. Imagine sitting on a flight, a train or bus, creating new tracks or playing some of the community ones to kill some time, and with Death Mode you will be stuck for ages trying to get that Platinum! Sound Shapes is a great deal of fun and for the price is well worth it as there is virtually endless hours of playtime thanks to Play. Create. Share.
    Trophy Difficulty Hard

Gameplay 8/10
    Graphics 10/10
    Sound 8/10
    Lasting Appeal 8/10

Read my full review at: http://playstationgamereview.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/sound-shapes-ps3-review/
  22. Apr 23, 2013
    The game of Sound Shapes is a slasher. It’s a puzzle-slash-music-slash-art-slash-platformer-esque game that put’s you in the place of an ambiguous blob who sticks and rolls along through colorfully crafted surfaces making music wherever it goes. What draws you in are it’s personal visuals but what keeps you sucked in are the albums you play through. With contributors such as Beck andThe game of Sound Shapes is a slasher. It’s a puzzle-slash-music-slash-art-slash-platformer-esque game that put’s you in the place of an ambiguous blob who sticks and rolls along through colorfully crafted surfaces making music wherever it goes. What draws you in are it’s personal visuals but what keeps you sucked in are the albums you play through. With contributors such as Beck and Deadmau5 you can expect an experience given by no other. Sound Shapes is also cross-buy/cross-play so it’s a no-brainer investment for $15 on the Playstation Store. Expand
  23. Jul 31, 2013
    Sound shapes is a 2 dimensional platformer that has a heavy emphasis on music.. The more coins you collect in a level, the more notes will play in that level. Speaking of the music, it is incredible. The upbeat and snazzy electronica in earlier levels and the slower alternative tunes in later levels make for the best sounding game on the vita to date. Graphically this is a very uniqueSound shapes is a 2 dimensional platformer that has a heavy emphasis on music.. The more coins you collect in a level, the more notes will play in that level. Speaking of the music, it is incredible. The upbeat and snazzy electronica in earlier levels and the slower alternative tunes in later levels make for the best sounding game on the vita to date. Graphically this is a very unique looking game. It is simple, but detailed, and the spartan, almost minimalist style resulted in one of the prettiest platformers ive seen. In terms of gameplay, sounds shapes plays extremely similarly to most other side-scrolling platformers. You move forwards and backwards with the D-pad or the analogue stick depending on your preference, and you can also jump with the x button. Nothing new there. However, there are a few wrinkles that the formula. Your character, a blob, can stick to certain surfaces. This allows the blob to move up and down walls and even move backwards and forwards while upside-down. The blob also has two different modes: blob mode and ball mode. Blob mode is the mode that allows you to stick to surfaces etc., but while in ball mode, you can't stick to surfaces or move up walls, but you can move a lot faster and jump much further. Blob mode is the default mode and you can switch to ball mode at any time by pressing and holding square or R1. There is really not a lot wrong with this game. It looks fantastic, sounds, fantastic and plays fantastic. There are a few small gripes, some of the levels are not particularly creative or enjoyable for instance, but that's pretty much the only negative I have. It is also of stupendous value (especially if you own both the ps3 and ps vita). The main campaign isn't very lengthy only lasting about two and a half hours. their are five "albums" with around four multi-part levels each. But don't worry. Sound shapes has tonnes of replay value. With a fully featured level creator and extra modes that are unlocked once the campaign has been completed. The level creator is definitely a very strong part of the game. It might not have quite the complexity or potential of little big planet 2, but it's simpler to create good levels in sound shapes, even if you're like me and are no good at level making. My biggest issue with the level creator is that some of the rear touch controls to spin objects around on the ps vita version, but it's only a minor flaw and the rest of the touch and rear touch controls in the level creator work surprisingly well. Another thing that greatly adds to the replay value are the modes you unlock once you've beaten the main campaign: beat school and death mode. Beat school is a collection of twelve levels in which you are dropped in the level creator grid and a bit of music plays in the background. In beat school, each square on the grid is a different note. Your objective is to find out what the notes are and work out where they are on the grid. it's a fun distraction for a while and a good way of earning some trophies, but the real focus here is death mode. In death mode, you must collect a certain number of coins in a small area of a level while under a time limit. It's RIDICULOUSLY hard and there are tonnes of obstacles. you have to dart around the area like mad jumping and grabbing coins. There's a deathmode level for every campaign level and this is sure to keep Hardcore platforming fans and trophy hunters like me busy. Sound shapes is definitely one of the gems of the playstation network. It's an absolute bargain at £9.99 regardless of whether you own a ps3, a ps vita or both. You're getting more than your money's worth with Sound shapes, and every self-respecting platformer fan should own this game. If you own a vita or ps3 do yorself a favour. BUY SOUND SHAPES!! Expand
  24. Nov 17, 2013
    I purchased this game when I first got my PS VITA and it's one that I keep going back to. As a cross-buy game it is nice to be able to play it on my PS3 and, now that I've gotten my PS4, it was nice to see it waiting for me to download and install.

The music is great, the artwork is great, and the game can be ridiculously hard at times... which, I suppose, is part of the appeal. The

The balance of the game is something worth mentioning. While some levels are ridiculously difficult, other levels are ridiculously easy, with a variety of difficulty levels in between. It seems as if the games designers made it so that the difficulty would rise and fall with the music, much like the way that the player adds to the music as a track progresses.

1. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Oct 1, 2012
    Some games are brilliant because of their simplicity. Take Sound Shapes for example, a game in which you roll a ball through colourful, minimalistic environments that vary from grey office buildings to beautiful sceneries of nature. [October 2012, p.78]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Sep 25, 2012
    Sound Shapes' ready-made content is refreshing, creative and fun – but it's also in very short supply. That said, there's a more than capable platformer waiting for you here, and it's backed up by a versatile level editor that's pregnant with possibilities. Queasy has laid one heck of a good egg, and we honestly can't wait to see how many ways the community will cook this up. [October 2012, p74]
  3. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Sep 20, 2012
    It's particularly satisfying on Vita, where the back panel is used to move and adjust pieces, but Sound Shapes otherwise plays identically across platforms. [Nov 2012, p.84]