7.9

1. Sep 1, 2013
    TLDR: This game is fun, not masochistic, just difficult, it demands trial and error but you won't be repeating the same level over and over, each level is randomly generated with you starting on the top and the exit near the bottom, all that stands between you is terra firma, Gold, Damsels, and things out to kill you.

This game has a Demo, and I highly recommend it. Also, this game is

This game has a Demo, and I highly recommend it.
    Also, this game is NOT for those who don't appreciate death as a learning experience.

People have called it Dark Souls, the Platformer, and it fits that bill with a bit of it's own flair,
    this game is truly difficult and gets immediately harder after you're out of the first World (Mines)

If you're still reading, and the thought of an extreme, randomly generated platformer that is in no way unfair, excites you, give this a shot, as I said, please try the demo first, don't waste your money if you're not into it, it gives you the tutorial, some characters, and the first world to try, you will die lots and you will know it's your own fault, but that knowledge will make you want to try again.

And that's the meme of this game, trying again. You will WANT to, getting to the end with hearts, money, and items feels good. The platforming is fun, I love destructible environments, there are lots of traps, sneaky enemies, and vases you cannot entirely trust ever (Pick them up and throw them, they may contain enemies)

I wasn't into this game at first, I tried and I tried and I'd keep dying at the 3rd or before leaving the 4th, but you learn. The controls are tight, you don't feel like you were cheated by a death you weren't anticipating unless you didn't know that enemy would explode after you killed it.. :p

It really grows on you, what I like most is that the game requires both Patience and Fast Reflexes which is a little odd, most games don't ask for both like this one, it really treats you like an Adult, it was not designed to hold your hand because it lets the game speak for itself.

I also like that you can beat the game in around 30 minutes
    Good F***ing luck doing that though because in Spelunky, just like Dark Souls, this game's Tagline should be:

"You Will Die."
  2. Sep 2, 2013
    In short If you like beautiful, addictive platform games with pixel-perfect controls that really test your abilities, this is well worth your time and money.

I have quite a few games on the Vita, but not enough free time. From all the games I tried on the platform, this is the one that has impressed me the most as a whole (disclaimer I don't like FPS's RPG's ). Its concept is

Its concept is simple enter stage, find treasure girl, exit stage.

What is impressive is the overall attention to detail, from the perfect controls and gameplay mechanics to the personality-rich, retro graphics. It is a game with real depth, that rewards you with new stages and surprises if you are willing to invest the time.

Initially, I was worried that I would dislike the ever changing landscape, what with all stages being randomly generated on the go. I've come to find out, though, that this is one of the reasons the game feels so fresh each time you play it. If each stage was fixed then, having replayed it for the 50th time, boredom would eventually set in. With a dynamically changing stage, the challenge is constant (and welcome).

As a paying customer, I would like to congratulate Blit Software for the excellent conversion. From what I've experienced so far, you really deserve all the praise you get.

In closing if I could install just one game on my Vita, this would be it.
  3. Sep 4, 2013
    Spelunky is proof that 2D platformers can still be amazingly addictive. The randomly generated stages mean that you will never have the exact same experience twice. The items, enemies, mechanics, and controls all work together brilliantly to provide the most addictive platformer I've played in years. It is WELL worth the price of admission. I purchased the game on PS3 but with CrossSpelunky is proof that 2D platformers can still be amazingly addictive. The randomly generated stages mean that you will never have the exact same experience twice. The items, enemies, mechanics, and controls all work together brilliantly to provide the most addictive platformer I've played in years. It is WELL worth the price of admission. I purchased the game on PS3 but with Cross Play I can see myself playing the Vita version even more. Transferring from PS3 to Vita and vice versa is seamless. There are no menus you need to navigate to sync. Saves are automatically sent to the cloud. I started gaming in the 80's so I've played my fair share of 2D platformers. Spelunky deserves a spot among the best of the best. Expand
  4. Mar 20, 2014
    The addictiveness of Spelunky lies in the fact that the more you play the more you learn how to play and the game becomes easier as you die from all of those randomly generated danger, but not in the way trial and error games do it. You actually learn skill and tricks to proceed and you don't just memorise the levels because you simply can't. Thus if you like being rewarded for the timeThe addictiveness of Spelunky lies in the fact that the more you play the more you learn how to play and the game becomes easier as you die from all of those randomly generated danger, but not in the way trial and error games do it. You actually learn skill and tricks to proceed and you don't just memorise the levels because you simply can't. Thus if you like being rewarded for the time you spent in a game pick Spelunky up and dive into its depths of treasure hunting galore becoming, not Idiana Jones but an adventurer of your own right. Expand
  5. Sep 10, 2013
    Two levels are never the same in this randomly generated 2D Platformer. Wether you have to take down giant spiders with a well placed bomb or jetpack to the top of a crevice to retrieve a huge golden skull, Spelunky offers hundreds of these crazy scenarios. And through the randomisation it always leads to new experiences. New players might be put off by the high difficulty at first, butTwo levels are never the same in this randomly generated 2D Platformer. Wether you have to take down giant spiders with a well placed bomb or jetpack to the top of a crevice to retrieve a huge golden skull, Spelunky offers hundreds of these crazy scenarios. And through the randomisation it always leads to new experiences. New players might be put off by the high difficulty at first, but once you get better at the game the frustration fades because you see every death as a learning experience that can be avoided by putting your newly learned skills to the test. Great game with massive replayability that lends itself perfectly to the handheld platform Expand
  6. Nov 7, 2013
    When I first started playing the game I couldn't believe the ratings it had received. The graphics where medioxre, the monsters unintelligent, and the weapons pathetic. I thought it was a 5 at best. Suddenly while killing a little time I actually really started to get why people rave about it. The randomly generated levels assure replayabilty and finding new items and unlocking charactersWhen I first started playing the game I couldn't believe the ratings it had received. The graphics where medioxre, the monsters unintelligent, and the weapons pathetic. I thought it was a 5 at best. Suddenly while killing a little time I actually really started to get why people rave about it. The randomly generated levels assure replayabilty and finding new items and unlocking characters is extremely satisfying. I literally laughed out loud when I blew up a box and spiders where thrown all over the place, same reaction to the first time I picked up a golden idol. I've literally spent several hours playing and have yet to leave the mines. On first glance this is one to skip. However, once played for s while it becomes extremely addictive. Expand
  7. Nov 1, 2014
    To put it simply.. Spelunky is the best platformer ever made and by far the best title available on PS Vita. This is not an exaggeration, trust me. I have many fantastic games on Vita, and I'm getting tons of others on PS+ each month, but it doesn't even matter. For the last year I have played almost only Spelunky, and my Vita became The Spelunky Machine. looking at my statistics I diedTo put it simply.. Spelunky is the best platformer ever made and by far the best title available on PS Vita. This is not an exaggeration, trust me. I have many fantastic games on Vita, and I'm getting tons of others on PS+ each month, but it doesn't even matter. For the last year I have played almost only Spelunky, and my Vita became The Spelunky Machine. looking at my statistics I died 2000 times, which means i went through more than 2000 playthroughs and THAT is the ultimate replayability. Even though that now after a year of playing I have completed the game every possible way, received all trophies and played it to death it's still so much fun to play. One of the main reasons for such longevity is the randomly generated level system that keeps things fresh and challenging. The controls are incredibly tight, visuals are beautiful on Vita and the overall this game fits this handheld perfectly, better than anything else. The main feature however is the challenge, yes this game can be completed in couple of minutes (it's even one of the trophies to finish it under 8min), but it will take you days, months, maybe even years to master it so you can finally tame this beast and that is it's beauty. This game is about your skill and as one of the characters in the game says, the biggest reward is the journey. I love Spelunky and it's truly one of the best games ever made, where I can easily place the ultimate score 10/10 Expand
  8. Oct 8, 2014
    Wow what a game! Its portable perfection, detailed graphic, great sound, and incredibile game play. It has this just one more try factor. Its hard but not frustrating - even better than dark souls (its fair, you dont have to fight boss with milion hp who kills you in one shot). Tons of secrets, took me ~300 attempts to beat it :D
    Well deserved 10.
  9. Sep 24, 2013
    Seems a bit pricey for a game that some people have beaten in 4 minutes (see youtube speed runs) and the low rez PC version is free. Just four areas, and four levels to each area. Clearly the dev pulled off a neat trick by making sure that most people (including myself) would die a lot and play many levels many, many times.

Seems a bit pointless me actually buying the game, as after a

Seems a bit pointless me actually buying the game, as after a few hours I failed to beat the demo. Oh well. It's a challenge and it controls well and if you have the patience, and persistence, it could be just the game for you. Me, I don't think I'll ever beat the demo.
  10. Dec 11, 2013
    Spelunky was one of the games that I was looking forward to when it was first announced to be on the Vita. This review is going to be honest, so there is going to be nitpicking in this one. If you don't like it then 'm sorry to hear but I have to put it out there.

Gameplay The gameplay style wasn't too bad, I liked it a lot, it was the feeling of an old 2D platformer adventure. I love to play these kinds of games on a portable console. The controls were very good for the most part. I didn't like how the your character was a little too slippery, it caused a lot of cheap deaths. Now I'm going to talk about the biggest flaw in the game that pretty much frustrated me, the spike in difficulty. The mines section wasn't no issue, it was challenging but fun to get across. The Forest section was a slap in the face, the difficulty raised so high here I don't even understand. Then the Ice section is really easy. This is partly because the game has things in that I do not enjoyed. (*NITPICKING ALERT*) I did not like hot the teleporter item worked, I wouldn't have minded it didn't kill you when you teleported to the stone walls by accident(this one is minor, only by the fact that it was kind of cheap to use but it shouldn't teleport me inside the stone wall and killed me. It should have been an invisible wall there). The fact that the whip is the shortest whip in history, making it really difficult to use. And the random generated maps, sometimes the maps are really easy and other times it's virtually impossible and with no checkpoints unless you use like 10-20 bombs or ropes between each interval.Good luck trying to save up that much without dying and starting at the beginning of the game. It is all based on luck rather than skill. I played this for 1 month straight and I couldn't even beat it because some of the cheap deaths it gives(I'm talking about you, damn shopkeeper who follows you for 4 floors with a shotgun at the exit.) Also last thing about the controls, picking items isn't very responsive can be a tab bit annoying. (*NITPICKING OVER*). 6/10

Music The soundtrack was really good, it had a catchy tune and melody that I have it on my mp3 player. I especially liked the Mine section music (this is partly because I came back to this section like a million times) Nonetheless, it is really good and it what kept sane throughout the whole play through. the sounds were also pretty good, I liked the sound of the bombs exploding and the way the shotgun sounds. 9/10

Graphics The graphics were pretty and very clean, I liked the effects such as the explosions and water. Visually it was very pretty and there was nothing wrong with design. 8/10

Lasting Appeal It wasn't that great, It didn't had a lot to offer other than the main game. The local multiplayer was fun but nothing substantial. It has a leaderboard so for those who like beating records and highscores than it does have some replay value. The only reward was you can tell your gamer friends that you beat spelunky and brag about it. 6/10

Overall score: 7/10
  11. Dec 27, 2013
    In Indiana Jones Majora's Mask 3 you play as the Riddler on a quest to stop Straight Dumbledore(From the Adam's Family.) The game however, Is not difficult at all. you kill all of the Bruce Wayne's with one hit.The story also has no Quick Time event's when you fight Straight Dumbledwarf? WHAT!? We always need qte events during final boss fights. DUH. The game however has an amazinglyIn Indiana Jones Majora's Mask 3 you play as the Riddler on a quest to stop Straight Dumbledore(From the Adam's Family.) The game however, Is not difficult at all. you kill all of the Bruce Wayne's with one hit.The story also has no Quick Time event's when you fight Straight Dumbledwarf? WHAT!? We always need qte events during final boss fights. DUH. The game however has an amazingly awful soundtrack, it's even worse than Bubsy 3D 2. Only buy this gaym if you wanna play as Rrriiddler. Expand
  12. May 24, 2016
    I love and hate this game, but probably not for the reasons others do.

I love and hate this game, but probably not for the reasons others do.

I think the sound, visuals and game play are great. The game is challenging, but that is okay. What I don't like is that each level is randomly generated and it doesn't seem like you can save your game and start back where you were ...in fact there really is no where you were because the game is randomly generated as you go. I don't care for that, I like having a start and and end, bosses to defeat and milestones pass and rewards to gain. This reminds me of the old Pitfall game for Atari ...you just played and played and played ...why? Well, actually not sure why, but you did. I was hoping for some story an adventure that got more interesting as you went. I feel this game falls short and could have been so much better. One redeeming feature is the "challenge play". You get 1 shot to get your best score and go against others online. If you like structure and order in your games than this may not be for you.
  13. Feb 25, 2014
    To be able to survive in Spelunky longer than just few minutes, you will have to learn a lot. And you will learn by dying. But if you have the patience maybe you will find a glory instead of another death...
  14. Feb 12, 2014
    I can see why people love this game. It's clever, quirky and rewards your efforts. I'd score it higher, but if I play it much more I'll smash my Vita into the wall. I'm just not patient enough!
  15. Mar 29, 2017
    Fun, endless replayabilty, fair addictive challenge, every aspect of this game works as a whole and create an amazing experience. Its like a well written piece of music everything falls in place.

1. Games Master UK
    Oct 19, 2013
    Despite its difficulty curve Spelunky's beautifully simplistic mechanics will keep you playing for hours. [Dec 2013, p.67]
  2. Oct 17, 2013
    Easy as hell to learn and a hell to master Spelunky is a true gem. One of the best Roguelikes actually on Playstation Vita.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Oct 7, 2013
    Combining the depth and difficulty of a rogue-like with the thrill of a platformer, it's an elegant and endlessly replayable gem of a game that is perfectly suited to a portable format. Co-op multiplayer over WAN (no netplay – boo!) is especially rewarding.[November 2013, p83]