7.5

1. Mar 5, 2013
    Okay, let's get this out of the way straight off the bat; I absolutely adore this fabulous little game. Super Crate Box was excellent on PC, and I have to admit to having a soft spot for the criminally overlooked iOS port too. Perfecting virtual buttons on touchscreen devices has always been a particularly arduous challenge for developers, but Vlambeer pretty much nailed it. AndOkay, let's get this out of the way straight off the bat; I absolutely adore this fabulous little game. Super Crate Box was excellent on PC, and I have to admit to having a soft spot for the criminally overlooked iOS port too. Perfecting virtual buttons on touchscreen devices has always been a particularly arduous challenge for developers, but Vlambeer pretty much nailed it. And consequently, I got a lot of mileage out it on iPhone and iPad. However, with Vita's physical d-pad (which is preferable to the analogue stick on this occasion) and buttons, this issue obviously doesn't even come in to the equation and as such, Super Crate Box has found it's natural habitat, which in the process, finally gives the game the opportunity to truly soar. And boy does it. Along with it's wonderfully old skool difficulty (i.e. hard as nails), twitch platforming, über addictive one-more-go appeal, and gorgeous pixel art, Super Crate Box is one of the finest downloadables in Vita's ever expanding library. That fact stands true at any pricepoint, but at little more than £2.00, it represents staggering value. What's more, on Vita's stunning OLED screen, it now looks far more vibrant and appealing than ever before. Due to these reasons, and many more besides, you owe it to yourself to sample Vlambeer's wonderful platformer in it's definitive form. So what are you waiting for? Grab it, play it, enjoy it. Trust me, you'll be so glad you did.

Highly recommended. 9.5 out of 10.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Jan 10, 2013
    Don't play Super Crate Box if you've got important things to do. It's a timesink, a stupendously enslaving arcade-style game that refuses to ease you in gently, instead enticing you in with extra bits and bobs until you realise that you're well and truly trapped in its box.