• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Feb 15, 2012
7.3

1. Feb 28, 2012
    I didn't like this game at all. Not only does it seem seriously toned down from the console versions, it's also VERY short, and it's NOT as great looking as promised. I never really liked the "playable cutscene" aspect of the console experience, so I hoped they would leave that out because it would't work well on a portable anyway. However they didn't, and it just makes me feel like Sony doesn't know what handheld gaming is about. Expand
  2. Feb 16, 2012
    Gimmicky touch controls+no online(uncharted 3 had online why not golden abyss)+bad story+10 hour length=a really dissapointing game. Gets a 2 because it has good graphics and a lot of collectibles
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    Campaign - Repetitive and dull. The campaign will probably take you atleast 10 or 11 hours to complete. The game is set before the events of Uncharted: Drake's Deception. I will still never know where Drake got his skills from. Does he have a military background? Was he trained? Anyway, it's like you run, climb, jump and shoot and it's gets so boring after awhile you'll have to ask yourself, ''why did I buy this crap?'' Only fans of the PS3 versions will be entertained by this garbage. Honestly, I don't like the Uncharted series. The only reason I played this crap was because I thought I would like it better on the Vita because I liked the demo. Your partner is some girl, I forgot her name. How does she fit in again? I can't tell you. The story tried my intelligence. The main character is playing Sherlock Holmes by trying to uncover a expedition massacre that happened years ago. Not only is Drake a treasure hunter, he's a detective. He gets help from characters later in the story. There's parts in the campaign you have to complete puzzles for some dumb addition reason and they can be so frustrating. I am just not impressed with one bit of this campaign, except for the voice acting. 5/100(F)

Graphics - The graphics don't look as good as Uncharted 3, but I say it's on par between Uncharted and Uncharted 2. The framerate drops a lot on this game. If you don't notice, get your eyes checked. Please. The game is a bit rough around the edges. The grain is noticeable. Even around the characters. 70/100(C-)

Gameplay - The AI sucks and headshots still don't work unless your using a sniper or a pistol close up. The gameplay is very repetitive. All you do is platform, run and shoot the same guys. All the areas have that same jungle look to it which I feel makes the game dull and makes the game feel repetitive. This is what I don't like about all the Uncharteds gameplay. At least the game doesn't play itself like Uncharted 2 and 3. 35/100(F)

Multiplayer - None. $50 for a PS Vita game and it has no multiplayer. Even though Uncharted 2 and 3 has it. The Vita can handle it. I won't rate this part of my review.

Playing Time/Content: There's no multiplayer, so don't expect it. I sure wish there was because I enjoy Uncharted 2 and 3's multiplayer. $50 without multiplayer sucks. Good thing I didn't buy, just borrowed. Your playing time should be at least 11 hours if you complete everything in the campaign. You'll probably get tired of it real fast. Although your campaign time will be lenghty, the lack of multiplayer comes off lazy. 50/100(F)

Overall Score: 40/100(F)

+ Campaign is lenghty
    - No multiplayer
    - Graphical issues
    - Repetitive gameplay
    - $50 instead of the general $40 for PS Vita games.
    - Dull story
  4. Oct 16, 2013
    Short, buggy, more cutscene then gameplay, bad controls... THAT'S Uncharted: GA. This game is just not good. Gayest boss fights in gaming history, 5 minute chapters, bad and predictable story... Don't waste your money on this garbage. All Uncharted game are good, but this one... 2 hours wasted of my life. And the fact that some cutscenes counts as 1 chapter makes me pissed off.
  5. Feb 19, 2012
    Touch controls were overly done invading every aspect of the game, if they had been done where they would add to the game instead of everywhere it would have been better. Touch in combat detracted from the game play, as you had to juggle the vita to get your hand in the correct place when the arrows appeared on screen.

Graphics where sub par, better than the PSP Slim, not as good as
    the PS3 and not as good as current gen dual core android phones, by mid this year the vita will look really dated with the next gen of quad core phones. In some places the graphics where really poor, the firs level for example had a halo of distorted graphics all around drake.

If you are on the fence on getting the Vita/ Unchated. Don't get a smart phone and try some of the games on there that make uncharted look last gen.
  6. Mar 8, 2013
    BOOOOOOOORIIING.... ok it has nice actions, controls etc but still boooooriiiing... also Chase is annoying. oh, the graphics and music are awesome. I have nothing to rant about them. That's why it gets a 5. It's just a over rated game
  7. Aug 25, 2013
    This game sucked. I THINK I liked it after I finished it the first time, but the more I played it to get platinum, the more I hated it.

The Vita controls are overused, not used well, and are annoying and irritating, and detract from the gameplay instead of adding to it. Every log or plank you cross brings up the balance feature, and every leap needs a reaction event to make sure you
    don't die. Every door or gate you open, and every time you boost a friend you need to swipe to do it. You can't melee enemies (unless it's for stealth or steel fist) without getting a reaction sequence, and the two reaction command battles are infuriating. This wouldn't be so bad, but the game doesn't even register your fingers swipes properly.

The controls themselves are either clunky, overly sensitive or completely unresponsive. The cover system is completely broken; it's so difficult to get in and out of cover, and you have to hit the jump button every time when hanging, instead of being able to push up on the joystick and have Nate pull himself up. I also found the grenade throwing to be tedious, time consuming, and completely inaccurate anyway.

Friendly AI is a pain in the @ss. When they're not dying (yes, they can actually die, causing you to restart the checkpoint), they are blocking you from climbing, blocking your shots, stopping you from getting into cover and just being all around useless. The enemy AI isn't bad, except that if you don't know how to manually reload (I don't know if the game ever tells you) the automatic reload is so damn slow that you'll die before you can start shooting again.
    It's a small thing, but I also found it ridiculous infuriating, that I couldn't just jump or drop down a small distance. You HAVE to climb down using the hand and foot holds.

There is WAY too many 'your buddy is in trouble defend them' segments (particularly with Chase) and WAY to many 'kill all these people while hanging/climbing while your buddy stops you from moving away' segments. There is WAY to few checkpoints, and even when there is a checkpoint, the game puts you in the worst place and forces you to stay there.

The story itself was weak, and the characters, especially the villians, were cliche and irritating. They were your standard "let's do this simply because we can' types. I found Chase to be one of the most irritating, annoying and inane video game characters I've ever come across. I hated her so much that my favourite thing about this game was the fact that just about every cutscene could be skipped so I didn't have to put up with her. For most of the game she was completely useless, and was always getting into trouble. I also wondered why they bothered adding the romance element towards the ends because we all know it goes nowhere anyway. I would have been much happier with the character of Chase if she'd ended up being a villain all along.

While Nate and Sully were great, they were just missing that extra something, which makes their characters so likeable. I guess that's what happens when it wasn't written by the same people as the console games.

The graphics were pretty bad. While the environments were good, the detail on the people was shocking. They all had a pixelly white outline, faces were smooshed in parts, and don't even get me started on what the hell happened to Nate's nose. I found that Chase had these claw hands that kinda just sat there, and when Nate ran with a long-gun, it looked like he was suffering from the broken neck glitch from Uncharted 3 multiplayer.

This game could have been awesome, and showcased the talents of the developers. Instead, it failed on every level and ended up being one of the worst games I've played.
  8. Aug 2, 2014
    So bad that it doesn't deserve to be called uncharted. Too much cutscenes and stupid enemies. I dont like those touchscreen controls where is arrow in the middle of the screen. Boring.
  9. Mar 16, 2014
    Weak plot, weak characters. Do not buy this game. It's Bad with capital B. A waste of time and money. Puzzles underestimate player's intellect. Repetitive. Boring. Another game that tries to benefit from a franchise to make some more money.

1. Aug 7, 2012
    So overall Uncharted: Golden Abyss is not without faults, but nothing glaring enough to prevent recommending it, firstly as a very enjoyable game and secondly as an example of what the Vita can do.
  2. Apr 17, 2012
    A very pretty action-adventure, which shows nicely, what Vita can do. There's too much generic shooting at the end, though. [Apr 2012]
  3. Apr 8, 2012
    At its core, it's the same Uncharted game we've all played before, but it's bolstered by sterling presentation, a bevy of secrets, and straightforward tomb-raiding gameplay that feels like a love ode to the series' adventure forebears.