• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Feb 15, 2012
8.3

1. Feb 15, 2012
    I bought Vita only for Wipeout-2048. The circuits are very detailed with steady above 30 fps. The physics engine is the same as Fury-HD on PS3. The visual play looks awesome, the control is steady. However you may dislike the wait cause every time you must wait for 60 seconds long until the initial race-loading completes. The multiplay is sometime interrupted by sudden network connection losts due to authority server out of sync. On Feb 15 2012, the patch 1.01 has been released with improved load time, various bug fixes, and new audio track: Orbital Beelzedub! Expand
  2. wrh
    Feb 24, 2012
    There are already lots of helpful reviews out there, so I won't go into details. Let me just say that it is more immersive than anything I ever played on a mobile device. Awesome graphics, smooth controls, and a rapid pace - just like with the best console games. I don't understand people who insist on comparing Vita games to 3DS titles....
  3. Feb 28, 2012
    This game is better than fury, HD and pure without a shadow of a doubt. there aren't as many teams as i would have liked but everything else exceeds my expectations far too much for me to care, plus we never know what DLC is planned, i for one cant wait to find out though. the best thing about the game is how detailed and more engaging the tracks are. i LOVE how there are standard road sections and even puddles on the tracks, it really sets the scene of the beginning years of wipe out and makes the races so much more interesting. worst part... the game crashes a lot, there will be a fix for this though im sure but the game thankfully is good enough to ignore a few crashes here and there. enjoy. Expand
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    I am not a big racing fan and I've never played the wipeout franchise before, I just want to get that out there. I bought it because I got it for 10$ and I'm always looking to expand my Vita library. I suspect there may be others like me out there. I've logged a few hours on this game, As I said not a big racing guy but once I turned it on I got into this game. The graphics a smooth and the game feels very fast. I did find a few of the courses disorienting at first but by my second lap I had a handle on the twists and turns. I've enjoyed this game for what it is I'll never play it enough to beat it but when I feel like racing (and a change from Modnation) this will be a good solid game. It was on for 10$ on black friday I imagine it will around boxing day again. If you are a racing fan drop the 20$ If your not wait and pick it up for 10$ its solid for even a non racer. I haven't tried out the multiplayer so I won't bother parroting what I read on IGN Expand
  5. Mar 6, 2012
    Fantastic Game play! Ive been a fan since the 90's. Love the new skill cuts. The graphics really show off the vitas capabilities. The loading times are a bit slow, but its worth the wait!
  6. Mar 8, 2012
    first of all.. i dont usually enjoy wipeout... the ps3 version was dull and insanely frustrating because of the narrow path. furthermore the combat felt lackluster.

this however is one of the greatest racers i have played for years. especially on a handheld. the amount of polish in this title is magnificient.. small touches like using the back touch to manipulate the sleek menu and
    rotate your ships to look them over gives this game a sense of perfection which not a lot of titles give you.

furthermore the graphics look amazing, even surpassing the ps3 version with beautfiul colors and effects. the tracks are now wider so you can maneouver much more efficiently. weapons dont do much damage in regular races, but they do slow down enemies so that you can catch up... also in a special combat mode you destroy enemies easily and it gets quite frantic as an near out war begins. this mode is very impressive with all the stuff happening at once.. in there the vita hardware really shines. overall this a must have launch title if you are into racing at all.
  7. Mar 27, 2012
    In many ways, 2048 embodies the spirit of the PS original. It's a super fast near-future racer, features that cool Wipeout aesthetic design and comes loaded with an absolutely thumping soundtrack. If you're a speed junkie and can't decide between Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Asphalt or Modnation... please stop wasting your time and pick this up.
  8. Jul 8, 2012
    Campaign - Fun, challenging, and sometimes frustrating. There are 3 different parts to the single-player campaign. There is 2048, 2049, and 2050. Each year you go up you face different events and more difficult events, but it can be simple if you use the right ship in the events. There is no story to go along with this, it is simply a tournament. The single-player campaign consist of time trials, staying in zone, racing, and combat. There is a multiplayer campaign as well which is significantly longer than the single-player campaign. In the multiplayer campaign, you play online with other players with the game. I believe this includes playing with PS3 players as well as Vita players since this game has cross-play functionality. The multiplayer campaign mostly consist of combat and racing. In the multiplayer campaign, you are always in a lobby. I prefer this over the single-player campaign. You also can rank up offline. 100/100(A+)

Graphics - Just beautiful. I like these graphics more than the PS3 versions of WipEout. I have notice the framerate drop about two times, but it's not a problem and ever since the last two software updates I haven't seen the framerate drop. It feels like every detail pops at you on the PS Vita's OLED screen. It's arguably the best looking game on Vita thus far. 100/100(A+)

Gameplay - Gameplay is fun and intense. I just wish the Vita had force feedback and I would be completely satisfied. Track designs are great, there are some good sized jumps and shortcuts, I believe they are call Skillcuts in this game because they take skill to enter. Makes full use of Vita's functionality except for the rear pad. For people who like to see how they did, there's replay. You can also pause the game and take pictures. 90/100(A-)

Multiplayer - The multiplayer is great and you can play with PS3 players. There are different game types and I find them fun. I always enjoy myself and so far I managed not to come in last place. It has a little rank system and challenges you can complete. The multiplayer is definitely worth your time. I'm kinda addicted to it. 100/100(A+)

Playing Time/Content: If you have an interest in this game, you will spend hours on it. The single-player campaign will take you at least four hours, multiplayer campaign will take you at least 9 hours, and the multiplayer you can spend hours on end on it. 100/100(A+)

Overall Score: 98/100(A+)

+ Campaigns are lengthy
    + Multiplayer is well put
    + Graphics are as good, if not better than the PS3 versions of WipEout
  9. Jul 31, 2012
    It's WipEout, and it's awesome. The framerate isn't as smooth as I would have liked, but as a trade off this game is gorgeous. In my opinion, its the best looking title currently on the vita. It doesn't have some of the weird graphical oddities that uncharted has (glowing characters, freaky looking eyes and hair) And the background are ridiculously detailed. The visual style of the game is also terrific. Its really interesting to see the tracks look a little less futuristic and more organic. Oh and, overall the sound in this game is incredible. The sound of your ship thundering down the track with bad ass electronic music in the background really amplifies the already tremendous atmosphere in the game. Also, the controls have been refined since pulse and pure on the psp to make the ships feel as if they have a lot more weight to them, which makes the game a lot more fun and authentic (well, as authentic as futuristic anti-grav racing games can be). It's a nice touch to see different classes of ships (speed, fighter, agility, and concept-type crafts), even if you'll most likely only use the speed and fighter ships, and the total number of teams has been reduced. The multiplayers' fun, but its a little bothersome that you only get to choose between race and combat game types between levels. I'm personally not as big of a fan of combat races and straight up racing, and it would be nice to choose beforehand. Other than the lower than hoped framerate and online, this game is just plain awesome. Those minor issues never detract too badly from the rest of this blast of a game. It doesn't reinvent WipEout but the new features and changes it makes to the formula are definatley enjoyable. I also feel I should mention that for an additional 13 dollars or so you can buy all of the content from the ps3 version of Wipeout HD and Wipeout HD Fury, which is HIGHLY recommended. (If you don't have it already, it also purchases the ps3 version of Wipeout HD Fury). Oh and I almost forgot to mention, this is one of the few vita titles that actually has cross-play! Its a little difficult to find a match but its really cool being able to play against people on the ps3. If you own a vita, this is practically a must own! Expand
  10. Dec 20, 2012
    This game is completely NOT worth the money. In fact I want to hurt myself every time I see a kid on here saying that it 'embodies the spirit of PS One.' Um... No? This game has many flaws its un intuitive controls being the first. It turns to sharply or too wide at random points and it handles like a box of rocks on a trampoline. The reason this game has such a high review is because of the lack of experience on real racing games that makes kids say this game is good. Terrible game and I wish I could just have my money back. Smh Expand
  11. Jan 28, 2013
    I was pleasantly surprised with this game, I really was. I was expecting yet another rushed game but thats not what this is at all. This is a well conceived and put together game. Graphically it really is excellent, who would of known that such a small portable device could generate such brilliant graphics. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic (some classics from wipeout 2047 in there!), as are the sound effects. The gameplay is engrossing and exciting. However, sometimes there is just to much going on and the framerate suffers, and this also impares the gamers ability to actually see whats happening. Load times need improving as well. Despite these flaws, this is still an excellent game and a must for any wipeout / racing fan. To summarise, and excellent game with some slight issues. A solid 8 from me. Expand
  12. Jun 16, 2014
    Wipeout 2048 is a cool racing game. It has beautiful graphics and good gameplay. The controls were okay for me on the "Racer" config. The loading takes a bit long time, but it's still good. The game is fun for me, I really enjoy it.
  13. ned
    Feb 23, 2012
    Basically, if you like the Wipeout series you'll like this game, which looks great, sounds great, and plays great. There are some issues though. The load times are pretty long (even with the update), the frame rate takes a pretty big hit during the more chaotic races, and tracks are recycled way too often - I've gone through a ton of events and I don't think I've seen more than 4 or 5 different tracks so far. Expand
  14. May 1, 2012
    Where is Racebox? Overall the game has such potential, and if/when racebox is added to the game I will revise my review. But not being able to choose a lobby to join and possibly being dropped into a combat lobby does somewhat ruin the multiplayer I have to say. Check the WipEout 2048 facebook page for a list of similarly minded people.
  15. Jun 2, 2012
    I originally bought the ps vita only for this game, and i was right to do so. Simply the best Wipeout game to date, in every possible way. This should be a day 1 buy.
  16. Jun 14, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, Wipeout 2048 is a good game. The progression tree introduced in Pulse is back, and still works great on a handheld. The game benefits visually from rolling back time to Wipeout's racing roots, allowing for rougher looking tracks with great looking textures. It's a Wipeout title, so it's dripping with style and sense of speed. So why the 7? I have mixed feelings about the widened tracks, since they take the hardcore feel out until you progress into higher speed classes, and the increase in emphasis on power ups and combat on said tracks, can make race outcomes feel a little more random at times. I like that the widened tracks make Wipeout 2048 more accessible to new players, but overall it was a negative for me. Having not liked the shift in emphasis on the tracks, you can imagine that I wasn't enthused about being forced into combat challenges either. Ick. Yet, the Zone mode's still awesome, and the addition of skill cuts was also fun. Framerate isn't as rock steady as some other Wipeout titles, but still holds pretty constant at its 30FPS. While it looks beautiful, 2048 sometimes tries too hard visually, adding a little too much on the particle effects and background showiness, making it harder to concentrate on the racetrack. Some multiplier features also weren't available at launch. What gives? Track selection, and even the amount of music included, were less than expected as well. I think it was rushed a bit, honestly, since despite it's flaws Wipeout 2048 is still EASILY the best racing title on the Vita right now. Perhaps Sony couldn't afford to let it cook any longer, seeing how weak the racing titles on the Vita would have been without 2048? I'm not sure, but as a spoiled fan of the series I was expecting a little better than this. Expand
  17. Aug 3, 2012
    This is the most impressive game for the VIta in terms of graphics. the game runs smoothly and the soundtrack is excellent. The only problem with the game is the long load times but you soon forget that when you are racing. Overall this is a must have game for every Vita owner
  18. Nov 15, 2012
    WipEout 2048 is not a perfect game but it's probably the closest thing to perfect on the vita. The game is a great addition to the WipEout series and player can feel right at home whether they played every other game in the series or this is your first try. Unlike HD/Fury, 2048 runs at a constant 30 fps, dumbed down from 60, but still look smooth and graphically smooth. Also for people who previously bought WipEout HD/Fury, or got them for free during the PlayStation Welcome Back program, on the PS3 you get the free DLC that gives you the campaign for WipEout HD and Fury on the go. Sadly like I said 2048 is not perfect, incredibly long loading time and a few crash breaks the ambiance of the game but is all forgivable.
    I give it a 9/10.
  19. Nov 16, 2012
    On a brand new Vita, I really enjoyed the stunning visuals of this Wipeout. Level of details is shocking and it is hard to believe you seeing this on a portable machine. This prolonged the loading times that are just about bearable. When it comes to gameplay though, I just can't shake the feeling that it was better in last two iterations of portable Wipeout (on PSP). Especially, the high speed of the racers, seems to be a problem here as it becomes to frenetic and chaotic. For the first time in this series, I think it would be good to slow down a little.
    Overall, Wipeout 2048 is not the disapointment and still worth playing.
  20. Nov 24, 2012
    I'm a big WipEout fan, so a WipEout game that I can play on the go is must-have for me :) Great re playability, fun tracks and great qHD graphics. Another great thing about W2048 is that we can get a cheap DLC with full Wipeout HD and HD Fury! :)
  21. May 5, 2013
    Finally a game that really unleashes Ps Vita's potential. The graphics are amazing, the gameplay is challenging (not a common factor in modern releases) and really addicting. The great music selection gives you the boost of adrenaline you need when you're hover-racing at 200 mph on translucent roads. The online gameplay is various and really enjoyable to play with. Deserves a full 10 even because of the attention to detail and the perfect technical realization. Expand
  22. Jun 16, 2013
    I got this game as a part of the PS Plus membership, and I'm really happy with it. The graphics are great, I love the art style, and the music goes well with the fast paced racing and combat. It surpasses both the PSP wipeout games in every way. This game was clearly a passion project.

My only complaint is that a purchase of the online pass is required before being able to buy the HD
    DLC. Not cool. Expand
  23. Jun 21, 2013
    Easily 10 out of 10. I was never into WipEout but finally decided to give it a try and immediately got hooked. It's probably the game I sank the most time into out of all the vita games.

The graphics are revolutionary for any handheld device so that at times with amazing detail and great anti-aliasing making you forget sometimes that you are playing on a handheld. Without any doubt,
    2048 is the best looking game on the Vita at the moment. Performance is equally great. While not 60fps like WipeOut HD on the PS3, it is locked in at 30fps with just a few rare frame rate drops that only occur sporadically when lots of weapons are fired at the same time. Fortunately, the game knows how to catch up with the action in those situations.

While starting off slow for any beginners, the pace does pick up to make it challenging. Controls work great once switched to the classic WipEout controls scheme.

The only complain I do have is the online campaign (needed to platinum) which takes a long time to complete and is rather monotonous without an option to create a custom race.

There are 10 different tracks available which are all very unique. The DLC content and A+ challenges, prototype races as well as various trophy challenges (like 'beat Zico') ensure that this is the game I come back the most, even after getting the platinum trophy a few months back. Especially with the current price this game is a no-brainer. A real shame that Studio Liverpool has been shut down.
  24. Sep 10, 2013
    As a launch title for the Vita Wipeout 2048 did a phenomenal job showing what the Vita could have coming for us in the future. With extreme speed and a steady frame rate, gorgeous visuals and lots of both online and offline game modes this game is a easy pick for those who need a great racing game for their Vita.
    The best Wipeout to date!
  25. Feb 25, 2014
    This is when racing dream come true. Speed of the lightning, nice futuristic visuals, music that kicks and well designed circuits that keep you on toes all the time. If you can handle all that adrenaline, take a seat in the ship.
    3 – 2 – 1 – GO!
  26. Feb 28, 2014
    circuits are very detailed with steady 60,HD and pure with the hint of more details for any vita game, despite having online races interrupted by sudden network connection losss due to authority server out of sync. but On Feb 15 2012, the patch 1.01 has been released with improved load time, various bug fixes, and new audio as well for new track: Orbital Beelzedub!y Campaign is Fun, challenging, and but sometimes frustrating. i'm a speed junkie and all. get this game & pick this up. Expand
  27. Jun 11, 2014
    First, I'll start off by saying I don't like driving games that much, But I actually liked the gameplay mechanics of this "hybrid" driving games. But dam the difficulty level of this game is off the roof, it seemed like I was always at 8th place, and the A.I was super hard and never crashed even along the walls it seems like; which I do 100 times in a single race ( since there is no hud). The game is very fast paced and power ups/ weapons as you race along, definately probably the best vita racer on the handheld (if not top 3 at the very least). A on the go driving game that I liked, but the difficulty was too darn hard for me. Expand
  28. Jul 22, 2014
    This Game is Perfect, I Have this Game since 2012 and I'm still addicted to this Race! The Tracks are very detailed and the Ships are very Amazing! I have no issue about this Game. The DLC is Also Perfect and fix bug where the load Times was to long becomes Short now. In short,its still the Best Racing Game!
  29. Aug 19, 2014
    Even today it's one of the best looking games on the Vita. It's also at times one of the best racing games available, console or otherwise. The campaign is filled with a bunch of bonus levels that branch off from the main ones. Completing them will often reward you with a new racer. It will also keep you coming back with the hopes of "Elite" passing each of it's levels.

However the
    campaign does get needlessly difficult and frustrating the closer you get to the end. The last season can be an anger inducing nightmare very often. It can really feel unfair. The online experience is still kicking and I never had an issue finding a race. It's unique take on level based multiplayer that has you completing objectives in order to progress is novel and often leads you to feeling like you've achieved something even if you didn't come in first. However some of the later objectives can be tedious to complete.

Outside of the long load times I don't really have any other issues with the game. It's just an all around great racer, and while at times it can be angering when it demands perfection from you, it's still packed with enough great stuff to make it an easy recommendation to any racing game fan. For them it may even be worth picking up a Vita just for it. For gamers less-experienced with the genre do expect frustration as you get further into it, but always expect to be impressed with it.
  30. Sep 5, 2014
    This game is really fun but i would rather play this on a ps3 or ps4. The game is a really fast paced racing game that runs at a fairly decent frame rate but i would preferably have it run at 60 frames per second. this game is fairly easy to find under 20 dollars and it is worth a try.
  31. Oct 10, 2014
    While a Wipeout game without a 60FPS lock might seem preposterous, 2048 seems to give us quite a lot of other things to like about it, so I can forgive it for the, still, missed framerate lock. In spite of that, we have sprawling beautiful graphics on both systems. This time around the art style feels fresh, showcasing a new direction (which fits right in). Sometimes seeing a sharp turn (or a potential detour) is a challenge on the small Vita screen, but that is more of a hardware problem.
    The soundtrack, ofcourse, is a great selection of speedy electronic tracks that are, as if, created to be part of the game. The option to make our own soundtrack is gone, and is dearly missed.
    The controls are tight as always, with the minor exclusion of the left Vita thumbstick, which tends to be rather slippery. Other than that, the fast gameplay that is a series staple is back and still extremely fun. Older fans of the series might notice a slight downgrade of the speed factor, though that might be due to the missing 60 FPS lock (again); at any case, it's not something important or gamebreaking.
    The massive racing campaign, though in reality quite repetitive, is worth the player's time, as it is well paced with different game modes (including the infamous, awesome Zone levels) and a progressively harder AI.
    Online matchmaking is a bit of a chore, and lacks a lot of options one would expect to be present.
    Another missing feature, that I loved from previous WipeOut titles, was the opportunity to create your own ship skin, but there are a few more ships available through DLC (ofcourse). The aircrafts provided are sufficient and powerful enough to blast through the game.
    Wipeout 2048 is one of the best Vita games, and one of the best racing games of recent years. It deserves a place on the shelf of every racing game fanatic or Vita/PS3 owner. I've found that playing on the go suits the game best, as it seems to be built with portable in mind, so I recommend the Vita version over the PS3 version. If not - get it either way, because it's fast, fun and frantic action that deserves to be experienced, even by those who are not introduced to the series yet. It's a good time to become a Wipeout fan.

1. May 19, 2012
    WipEout 2048 hardly surprises, but it doesn't have to, because the WipEout formula still works very well. A good multiplayer mode, a few smart adjustments and additions alongside the fantastic graphics, delightful soundtrack and superfast and tight gameplay make WipEout 2048 possibly the best launch game for the PlayStation Vita.
  2. Apr 17, 2012
    Fast, fluid and stylish scifi racer. The multiplayer mode works very well. [Apr 2012]
  3. Apr 12, 2012