Wipeout 2048 PlayStation Vita

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Feb 15, 2012
8.2

1. Mar 27, 2012
    In many ways, 2048 embodies the spirit of the PS original. It's a super fast near-future racer, features that cool Wipeout aesthetic design and comes loaded with an absolutely thumping soundtrack. If you're a speed junkie and can't decide between Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Asphalt or Modnation... please stop wasting your time and pick this up.
  2. ned
    Feb 23, 2012
    Basically, if you like the Wipeout series you'll like this game, which looks great, sounds great, and plays great. There are some issues though. The load times are pretty long (even with the update), the frame rate takes a pretty big hit during the more chaotic races, and tracks are recycled way too often - I've gone through a ton of events and I don't think I've seen more than 4 or 5Basically, if you like the Wipeout series you'll like this game, which looks great, sounds great, and plays great. There are some issues though. The load times are pretty long (even with the update), the frame rate takes a pretty big hit during the more chaotic races, and tracks are recycled way too often - I've gone through a ton of events and I don't think I've seen more than 4 or 5 different tracks so far. Expand
  3. May 1, 2012
    Where is Racebox? Overall the game has such potential, and if/when racebox is added to the game I will revise my review. But not being able to choose a lobby to join and possibly being dropped into a combat lobby does somewhat ruin the multiplayer I have to say. Check the WipEout 2048 facebook page for a list of similarly minded people.
  4. Jun 14, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, Wipeout 2048 is a good game. The progression tree introduced in Pulse is back, and still works great on a handheld. The game benefits visually from rolling back time to Wipeout's racing roots, allowing for rougher looking tracks with great looking textures. It's a Wipeout title, so it's dripping with style and sense of speed. So why the 7? I have mixed feelingsDon't get me wrong, Wipeout 2048 is a good game. The progression tree introduced in Pulse is back, and still works great on a handheld. The game benefits visually from rolling back time to Wipeout's racing roots, allowing for rougher looking tracks with great looking textures. It's a Wipeout title, so it's dripping with style and sense of speed. So why the 7? I have mixed feelings about the widened tracks, since they take the hardcore feel out until you progress into higher speed classes, and the increase in emphasis on power ups and combat on said tracks, can make race outcomes feel a little more random at times. I like that the widened tracks make Wipeout 2048 more accessible to new players, but overall it was a negative for me. Having not liked the shift in emphasis on the tracks, you can imagine that I wasn't enthused about being forced into combat challenges either. Ick. Yet, the Zone mode's still awesome, and the addition of skill cuts was also fun. Framerate isn't as rock steady as some other Wipeout titles, but still holds pretty constant at its 30FPS. While it looks beautiful, 2048 sometimes tries too hard visually, adding a little too much on the particle effects and background showiness, making it harder to concentrate on the racetrack. Some multiplier features also weren't available at launch. What gives? Track selection, and even the amount of music included, were less than expected as well. I think it was rushed a bit, honestly, since despite it's flaws Wipeout 2048 is still EASILY the best racing title on the Vita right now. Perhaps Sony couldn't afford to let it cook any longer, seeing how weak the racing titles on the Vita would have been without 2048? I'm not sure, but as a spoiled fan of the series I was expecting a little better than this. Expand
  5. Nov 16, 2012
    On a brand new Vita, I really enjoyed the stunning visuals of this Wipeout. Level of details is shocking and it is hard to believe you seeing this on a portable machine. This prolonged the loading times that are just about bearable. When it comes to gameplay though, I just can't shake the feeling that it was better in last two iterations of portable Wipeout (on PSP). Especially, the highOn a brand new Vita, I really enjoyed the stunning visuals of this Wipeout. Level of details is shocking and it is hard to believe you seeing this on a portable machine. This prolonged the loading times that are just about bearable. When it comes to gameplay though, I just can't shake the feeling that it was better in last two iterations of portable Wipeout (on PSP). Especially, the high speed of the racers, seems to be a problem here as it becomes to frenetic and chaotic. For the first time in this series, I think it would be good to slow down a little.
    Overall, Wipeout 2048 is not the disapointment and still worth playing.
  6. Jun 11, 2014
    First, I'll start off by saying I don't like driving games that much, But I actually liked the gameplay mechanics of this "hybrid" driving games. But dam the difficulty level of this game is off the roof, it seemed like I was always at 8th place, and the A.I was super hard and never crashed even along the walls it seems like; which I do 100 times in a single race ( since there is no hud).First, I'll start off by saying I don't like driving games that much, But I actually liked the gameplay mechanics of this "hybrid" driving games. But dam the difficulty level of this game is off the roof, it seemed like I was always at 8th place, and the A.I was super hard and never crashed even along the walls it seems like; which I do 100 times in a single race ( since there is no hud). The game is very fast paced and power ups/ weapons as you race along, definately probably the best vita racer on the handheld (if not top 3 at the very least). A on the go driving game that I liked, but the difficulty was too darn hard for me. Expand
  7. Sep 5, 2014
    This game is really fun but i would rather play this on a ps3 or ps4. The game is a really fast paced racing game that runs at a fairly decent frame rate but i would preferably have it run at 60 frames per second. this game is fairly easy to find under 20 dollars and it is worth a try.

1. May 19, 2012
    WipEout 2048 hardly surprises, but it doesn't have to, because the WipEout formula still works very well. A good multiplayer mode, a few smart adjustments and additions alongside the fantastic graphics, delightful soundtrack and superfast and tight gameplay make WipEout 2048 possibly the best launch game for the PlayStation Vita.
  2. Apr 17, 2012
    Fast, fluid and stylish scifi racer. The multiplayer mode works very well. [Apr 2012]
  3. Apr 12, 2012