9.1

1. Nov 26, 2013
    Best game for Vita, I bought PS VIta just to play this game and it was worth my money! It's a high speed non-stop action RPG with the hugest world ever seen in portable RPG. And music... I just love it.
  2. Nov 26, 2013
    Probably one of the best action RPGs to come to the Vita, it has excitement at every turn and the game-play is memorizing. The music is amazing, fits the game really well. The world for this game is huge! I love this game!!!
  3. Nov 29, 2013
    Each new Ys game is a guilty pleasure. Every other games in progress are set aside for long sessions of incredibly satisfying hack and slash adventures with Adol.

Very few changes have been made to the great party and skills systems of Ys Seven for the PSP and that's quite alright since Seven had already brought along changes like crafting and sidequests board that made the game feel
    much more substantial than previous games of the series.

If you're a fan of the series or looking for a Diablo-like with an anime flair, Ys: Memories of Celceta's is another great production from Falcom and a solid buy for any Vita owner.
  4. Dec 3, 2013
    It's the bread and the butter. With bacon, lettuce and tomatoes. And special sauce on bread of your choice. With a side soup or salad. Hot, gratuitous coffee too. In other words, Ys: Memories of Celceta manages to cover all the basics you need, all the extras you want, even going one step further with details that really help polish off the experience.

I could probably write an
    essay on this, but who goes to Metacritic for essays? Here's the short version.

Pros:
    Legit exploration, flexibility with encounters
    Varied difficulty with harder difficulties actually being difficult
    One of the fastest combat systems in any ARPG on the market
    Varied boss encounters
    Dungeons that use the "exploration gimmicks" for movement, not combat (yes, I care about that!)
    Surprising level of character customization, with varied playstyles and bonuses
    Full crafting and enhancement system
    A good story

Cons:
    Graphical fidelity is barely better than PSP
    Occasional framerate drops
    Rear touch AI switching is somewhat unresponsive (but rarely necessary). Thankfully, you are unlikely to switch the AI by accident.
  5. Nov 28, 2013
    This is one of the best games for Vita. I was skeptical when purchasing this game because I am not a big JRPG fan Ys: Memories of Celceta is really fun. I have about 10 hours into it and I am really enjoying it.
  6. Dec 1, 2013
    Absolutely beautiful game. Truly amazing. another excellen game for the Vita A true classic. 9/10 must own for any JRPG fan The last boss was very hard to beat though lol.
  7. Nov 30, 2013
    This is the perfect type of game for Vita. It has really fun gameplay and well thought out rpg mechanics. The graphics aren't the best on the platform, but they make up for it with all around great design. Anyone who's into RPGs will love it.
  8. Nov 26, 2013
    Honestly I just picked up the special edition version of this game, and my vita died before i could play very much. But this game sticks out. It's art style is amazing. Being my first game in the Ys series this seems like a good starting point to anyone looking to try the games out! also it's so very good to see another good rpg after P4G.
  9. Dec 19, 2013
    This game is one of the reasons im glad i have a vita. well this and the phenomenal persona 4 golden. With that being said, i'm a sucker for jrpgs. this is the first ys game i've played in the series and though i dont know how any other ys games play, this one is fantastic. First off its fun as hell. I love the hack and slash style real time combat. The open world is big and vast with chests and memories among other things to find and collect. The characters all use different weapons and have their strengths and weaknesses. Its nothing really new to jrpgs there are still side quests, leveling up, crafting, weapon upgrades, etc. that are in most jrpgs but it still is rewarding and great to have. Most of the sidequests, unlike most jrpgs, have some unique and very fund side objectives beyond the boring fetch quests. without spoiling any they are fun and not at all boring. they are pretty varied too. their are 6 playable characters each with their own skills and their character developement is great. The story, though not stellar, is still pretty well told and the dialouge is smart and funny at times. I really enjoyed this game and im still playing it. Yes it is addictive but also rewarding. If you like jrpgs you need to pick this up and also try persona 4 golden these two games are definitely worth purchasing a vita for. Expand
  10. Nov 28, 2013
    This is the second-best JRPG released in the past few years, behind only Persona 4 Golden IMO. The bread and butter here is the fast, smooth gameplay, which keeps the action really intense, and the rock-based music and art style are fantastic as well. Only weaknesses are that the graphics aren't quite up to the standards of the best that the Vita has seen so far, and the sound effects seem to be sampled at a lower-than-average rate for a Vita game, but I'd say that those flaws still didn't really detract from my overall enjoyment of the game. I definitely recommend this one! Expand
  11. Dec 2, 2013
    One of the best games for vita. In agreement that only persona 4 golden is in front of it. Has a tight fast paced battle system and vast open world. Falcom made an absolute gem in this title.
  12. Dec 3, 2013
    I was hesitant to buy this game shortly after it released because I only found one review and was worried about how good it was, but I am damn happy I bought it. The game's amazingly fun. I've spent 16 hours on the game so far, and I haven't gotten tired of it, been playing it pretty much non-stop, the combat's just that much fun for me.On top of that, exploring is fun, boss battles are varied, and there's incentive to explore the whole map. All in all, this game's an absolute gem, only thing holding it back from being a 10 for me is that the graphics are a little weak. The Vita is a beast, and the beauty it can achieve is shown in Killzone Mercenary, and this game's graphics don't reach that level. However, the fun factor and the amazing combat and game system are still amazing enough to net it a 9 from me, and it could quite possibly be my best Vita game of 2013. Expand
  13. Dec 2, 2013
    This game is another showcase that really shows why the Vita is so special. The graphics are stunning, the gameplay is amazing, the story is memorable and it just keeps you coming back for more. Highly recommend it to anyone own a Vita.
  14. Dec 8, 2013
    Fantastic handheld RPG. My second favorite Vita game behind Persona 4 Golden it is a must-have for every Vita owner. I cannot recommend it enough. My score is a 9.5 only because I do not tend to give perfect 10s.
  15. Dec 19, 2013
    Ive been a Ys fan for as long as i can remember. A while back i got my hands on Ys 1 and 2 when falcon had released them as a double pack and i just fell in love with the story, lore and characters. Having never been into other big Jrpg titles, Final fantasy for example, I was pretty surprised, Now here we are years later talking about a remake of the 4th Ys game. It wouldn't be correct to call it a remake more of a re-imagining/redubbed game, just keep that in mind.

Memorie's of Celceta is by far the best RPG on the PSvita. Maybe thats just my subjective opinion but i personally think it certainly is better then most in an objective way and since its one of the few true Arpg's in the vita catalog right now, it is certainly the best Arpg for the vita.

Story: Ys 4 follows the exploits of Adol Christian, our red haired hero/adventurer and starts out like most Ys games in that he has no memories. Him and his friend decide to go explore the "great forest" at the behest of the commander general of the town they start in for a grand reward that will be claimed by the first people to fully complete a map of the forest. The story seems simple but as with all Ys games it is anything but that. As the story starts to flesh out and the characters become more and more established you really start to pull for adol. The game makes you feel a sense of being on a grand adventure. The story is very strong like all Ys games, it starts out simple and is very easy to follow but still has its twists and turns and keeps you interested the entire game. The characters as well are rich and deep as well as interesting to interact with. You want to know more and you get to know more as the game progresses.

Graphics: One of the best looking games on the Vita, baring tearaway. At first it doesnt seem that grand but then you see all the little details involve, the day/night cycle, the different skills and sprites as well as the seamless world. The character design is what you would expect from a JRPG but its not overly moe like some other games in the genera.

Controls: As a note here, when i first heard they were going to use the Ys 7 mechanics over the ys origin etc platforming i was a bit saddened as I felt that the Ys 7 combat was weaker then previous installments. This was all misguided. Ys 4 effectively expands upon the ys 7 combat mechanics and makes them into something far more interesting and grand. You may not be able to jump but you can dodge/block and you have 5 skills at your disposal as well as very fluid controls. You are able to seamlessly swap between party members in the heat of battle each with their own play style and strength. Weapons and Armour can be upgraded via reinforcement with different attributes such as chance to crit and regeneration allowing you to fully customize your party to meet your play style. As you progress you unlock various artifacts that allow you to do things like run up steep cliffs or swim underwater, each of which adds more and more depth to the game.

Sound: As with any Ys game you have some of the most unbelievable music. The soundtrack for this game really gets you involved emotionally, building great tension in large boss battles and producing emotion in somber moments. Roaring guitar's mixed with violins are a trade mark of Falcom's games and this one is no exception. The voice acting is a little weak as it is an English dubbing and personally i would prefer the Japanese dub over the English one, but there is very little of it in the dialogue and cut scenes that it wasnt enough to detract from the experience. The sound effects provide impact and make the combat feel more visceral and add to the already fluid game play in a great way.

Overall: This game is a very solid RPG for anyone who likes the genera. There isnt anything overly complicated about the system but it still has enough to keep even the most hardcore gamers involved. The difficulty levels of the game make it very challenging like all Ys titles that came before, which is a breathe of fresh air in a very "casual" game market. With my playthrough i clocked about 25-30 hours of game time on hard difficulty which is in my opinion more then enough, but they've added a new game+ mode as well as boss time trials to extend the replay-ability and while i doubt ill be playing it again so soon after completing it, i will certainly come back to play it not long from now. The last difficulty nightmare is certainly something i need to explore.
  16. Nov 27, 2013
    Awesome game, just all around fun. Story is a little light, but everything else is just great. Aside from P4G this is my favorite so far. I hope xseed can bring more over.
  17. Dec 5, 2013
    I Have played many Ys games this one reminds me of Ys SEVEN and its even better! If you own already a PS Vita this title is MUST HAVE! Awesome quick combat system bosses locations and like in every YS Music is fantastic! I Really recommend it to everyone even if you didn't play Ys before!
  18. Dec 9, 2013
    For a vita game the map is pretty expansive and you can explore a ton. It's also pretty hard and that's a plus if you want it to last longer (like me). Great combat. Great game overall.
  19. Nov 27, 2013
    One of the best ARPG's of all time, just a great game.
    +Amazing soundtrack
    +Tight Challenging gameplay
    +Great game world and atmosphere, really makes you feel like you're on an adventure

Just a great game. Stories a little weak though.
  20. Jul 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Falcom brings Ys:MoC to the PSV with a very well done adventure that I could recommend to anyone with the handheld system.

The story is well paced and told nicely with story beats that tie into one another which keeps things interesting.

Battle system is fun, where individuals can create their own play styles. You can button mash if you wish, or you can slow it down for a more methodical approach to situations. Either way the action is fast and can get intense at times.

In game character portraits are great. The world is colorful and varied and doesn't fall into lava dungeon here, ice dungeon there cliches.

Voiced dialogue is usually used in introducing main characters in the plot and in certain scenes here and there. The voices are okay. The voices themselves match the characters quite well, but the delivery of some of the actors lines can be hit or miss. Their is very little of it through the adventure so It shouldn't bother even the most snobby of critics too much.

The pay off at the end is so so(pre-credits) but it didn't upset me, just a little underwhelming. The true payoff of the story was in the journey itself which I had a great time.
  21. Dec 13, 2013
    Now THIS is the RPG the Vita has been DYING for! If you're like me and would rather play an action RPG as opposed to spending all your time maxing out your "social links" as a four-teen year old Japanese girl buy this game now and pass on that other crap....
  22. Nov 28, 2013
    The series made a sequel that will completely blew the mind of its fans and those people who are new to the world of Ys. One thing that Celceta can offer was its non-stop high-speed hack and slash action. If you're a fan of Vita's RPG library(Persona, Soul Sacrifice, Ragnarok), then you'll definitely like this. The story didn't sucked at all and even if you're not familiar with the previous games, you'll still enjoy this great game. The game's music is awesomely made and perfectly fits the non-stop action. The only thing that made me give Celceta a 9/10 was it looks like an enhanced PSP game that was made for Vita. The PSP-like graphics was good but I was expecting for it to be better. Expand
  23. Mar 23, 2014
    The game is colourfull , fast paced, long and it has a good story.

The story is that Adol (you) went into the Great Forest of Celceta and was the only one so far to come back alive. But he has forgotten who he is or what he did.

The gameplay is great and fast, and the game is overflowing with color.

Stop reading this review and buy it!
  24. Dec 8, 2013
    Definitely in my top three favorite vita games that I owned. The music soundtrack is great and game play is very addicting. Hope to see more RPG's on the Vita in the future.
  25. Dec 11, 2013
    About 20 hours in this game and I have to admit I love it To be honest, I bought this game just because it's been a long time since I played a JRPG in this kind of atmosphere (mix between medieval, magic and I was surprised very good soundtrack, fights are great, history is classic but good. Maybe my best experience on VITA in 2013. So for me, it is a 9
  26. Jul 9, 2014
    This game is a must-buy for every PS Vita owner who likes RPGs. The graphics are meh and the story fulfills its purpose but can be easily ignored. The things that made me play it for 30 hours (and not being even remotely close to put it down) is the vast amount of content and the gameplay which are stellar; the world is humongous and the combat system very tight and rewards utilizing effective blocking and evading. So if you have a Vita and like RPGs then it's a easy choice you won't forget. Expand
  27. Dec 5, 2013
    In a dry spell of vita games YSMoC changes my perception of how games should be on the platform. Challenging, approachable, and most of all Fun. This is the most fun I have had in a game since I have played Persona 4 Golden. If you like Zelda, Action, Jrpgs, or exploration this is for you!
  28. Dec 20, 2013
    My first YS game was YS: The Ark of Napishtim. Later I played YS Seven, but this one is amazing. Nice story, combat system and music confirmed me in my opinion that this is the best action RPG ever. I recommend a special edition of the game.
  29. Feb 8, 2014
    One of the best games for psvita.It's an action RPG wonderful,perfect to play it in a handheld.The soundtrack is brilliant,one of the best I heard.Every psvita user would have to own this game because is awesome.C'mon buy it!
  30. Aug 25, 2014
    I love the fast paced combat, the story, the special moves, the map progression system, the crafting system and the RPG elements. One of my favorite JRPG! Best $30 well spent in a long time.
  31. Apr 4, 2014
    This is an arcadey action RPG. You basically mow down hordes of enemies while upgrading your gear to 'Godly' levels if wanted, or forgo to save your money for later - which I should have done more of.

In any case, the music is top notch. I'm not sure who created the soundtrack (that's probably elsewhere in these reviews) but rock fans will be pleased. In any case if it is not your
    cup o' tea you can play your own music over the top of it.

The gameplay is superb, for what it is. You won't find better on the Vita in the Hack n' Slash sense.

Kill mobs
    Return quests
    Upgrade
    Fight a boss
    Proceed to next town while mowing down mobs
    Listen to some story
    Get quests
    Repeat

In general the above will be the formula. There is some extra content if you return to towns, find an interesting spot on the map that maybe wasn't accessible until you got item 'XYZ', or just out of exploration. The world itself is fairly vibrant. Mobs spawn for the most part in 'what is that on the horizon?' mode. You mostly get first attack, however there is dodge and block - both of which can trigger a slow motion mode where all of your attacks are critical. It seems I mostly just mashed buttons while throwing in the occasional Special or Ultra Special combo. This probably can't be done so much at higher difficulties. For what it is - with enemies exploding like pinatas with loot - I loved it. I wished that the game had some level of gore or blood to accompany the violence. It would make combat that much more satisfying.

Graphics. Graphics. Graphics. Wow! These sure do disappoint. The characters seem to be worthlessly upscaled to the Vita resolution. The same for all of the textures in general, although the characters will be the most annoyingly noticeable. The game world has it's share the same issue but seems to have fared better. In any case this is only just enough of an annoyance to merit a slight knock to the score. If you're playing this game you've come for the gameplay after all, amirite?

Story is alright. It has some interesting concepts that are enough to keep you reading. The characters are not deep at all. Most of them have quests related to them where you learn about them, then you're back to the main story. I think this game could do with some more mature themes, but I see the direction is more light-hearted so I wouldn't count on being pleased or displeased in this aspect. If you're a fan of the series I'm sure it will be quite a bit more interesting.

All in all a very quality title. I will rate up slightly due to it slaying any similar competition (or lack thereof) on the Vita. There really is not another game that delivers hack n slash, loot fest, quality action gameplay with a neatly-riffed soundtrack, and a decent story in one package. I really enjoyed the time I spent with it, enough that I purchased YS:Seven to play afterwards. I play this more than Soul Sacrifice which is slightly similar, but with a more mature story and graphics only because I prefer the details I outlined above.

I will rate down slightly due to poor graphics and what I thought was a mediocre story - but this is my FIRST Ys game, so I think my appreciate of the story can only increase as I believe they all follow the main character Adol in his monster slayings.

A '8.5' with the nerf from graphics + story. A '10' because there is nothing else on the Vita that compares to it and I'll round up from '9.5' because it's mathematically correct (lol) and because I'd love to see more Ys or similar titles on the Vita.

Buy it. Support the devs, they give the Vita plenty of love. At a decent file size.
  32. May 15, 2014
    Uno de los mejores juegos de Vita este año, Probablemente, es el mejor RPG que saldra en Vita hasta verano, un indispensable!
    Musica buena, jugabilidad perfecta, innovador, no tienes que estar todo el dia grindeando...
  33. Jun 7, 2014
    Great action RPG, Adol is a little annoying, but that is easily dealt with in the early stages of the game. Fun action based combat, that is better played on the harder difficulty, otherwise the temptation is to be button mashy. Good for at least 2 play throughs.

1. Not even the savvy touchscreen controls can gloss over the real problem: the uninspired world you're forced to inhabit - and for a 20+ hour commitment, that's a bit of an issue. [May 2014, p.83]
  2. Apr 9, 2014
    Utterly generic but brilliant fun nevertheless. Shame about the perfunctory ending, though. [May 2014, p.74]
  3. Apr 8, 2014
    Nice characters, a simple but deep combat system and a well written story makes difficult to stop playing while this adventure lasts.