Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward PlayStation Vita

8.8

1. Oct 2, 2016
    This game is GREAT ! I had no idea i would like this type of game but the engaging story and atmosphere are top notch. There was a lot of great design decision (like the flow system) that makes the game really enjoyable to discover.

A little warning however, this game is about 80% story and 20% "escape the room" (puzzle) so it may not be for everyone. I don't like visual novel usually but this game got me addicted to finish every possible story path and find all the endings.
  2. Jul 7, 2016
    This is amazing VNs with quite good 3D graphic that is really nice to see in the genre. Gameplay is really good (considering it is visual novel and not "normal" game). Puzzles are really enjoyable and fits perfectly into theme of the game. The story is really good, a bit complicated though. You will probably does not understand everything what is going on at the start of game, but as youThis is amazing VNs with quite good 3D graphic that is really nice to see in the genre. Gameplay is really good (considering it is visual novel and not "normal" game). Puzzles are really enjoyable and fits perfectly into theme of the game. The story is really good, a bit complicated though. You will probably does not understand everything what is going on at the start of game, but as you will continue a progress more and more stuff will be clear. Very important is that this is VISUAL NOVEL, so this game is not for everyone, people who does not like reading shouldn't play this. But VNs fans should pick it immediately. After Steins Gate it is currently second best VITA visual novel in the WEST.

GRAPHIC - 7
    GAMEPLAY - 9
    LASTING APPEAL - 9
    EXECUTION - 8

OVERALL - 8,25
  3. Jun 16, 2016
    Pros:
    - Amazing Story
    - Great gameplay - Good bad graphics (this makes sense if you played this) - Complexity - Ability to blow your mind - Lovable and hatable characters - Epic plot twists - Has funny, sad, confusing, mysterious, scary, and shocking moments Cons: Has a few weird character animations - Annoying map that you can't skip - Could've explained To Be Continued
    Pros:
    - Amazing Story
    - Great gameplay
    - Good bad graphics (this makes sense if you played this)
    - Complexity
    - Ability to blow your mind
    - Lovable and hatable characters
    - Epic plot twists
    - Has funny, sad, confusing, mysterious, scary, and shocking moments

Cons:
    Has a few weird character animations
    - Annoying map that you can't skip
    - Could've explained To Be Continued moments better
    - Spelled DUNNO ... DONNO (Yeah, I ran out of bad things about the game :/)
  4. May 5, 2016
    There's so much to say about this game, but i'll try to keep it simple: It's a masterpiece. Everything in it is so well done, the story will just get you like no other. It's the type of game that you just cannot afford missing. It's been a cornerstone in my life as a gamer, that I just can't recommend this game enough.
  5. Mar 15, 2016
    Great interactive drama game where you're choises truly have life and death consequences. Might be the best game ever created. The sequel 999 is also just as brilliant and the store of that game somewhat affect this game so it's good to give it a look to.
  6. Jan 1, 2016
    This game is absolutely crazy! The plot of the game will keep you hook until the very end. I wonder why the game get 84 on vita and 88 on 3DS, it does not make any sense to me. The OST isn't the best but some of them are amazing, the story is just too crazy, i'm incredibly hyped for Zero Escape 3!
  7. Dec 10, 2015
    This is really good game, but a bit overrated. It has really boring sections, and the story isnt actually all that wonderfull. Its ok though, and its my first Visual Novel, maybe it is something special for people, who really loves this kind of games its a mesiah, I dont have nothing to compare it to (yet).
    But overall I can recommend this game to anybody, who likes to read and enjoys
    But overall I can recommend this game to anybody, who likes to read and enjoys sci-fi stories with a little touch of the butterfly effect.
  8. Oct 6, 2015
    If you are into Sci-fi stories and don't mind some clever puzzle solving, disregard the score and get the game. I finished 999 recently prior to VLR, so I was able to make comparisons between the 2 games.

999 felt like it was written within the comfort zone of the writer. VLR did not. 999 felt like a genuine survival horror / mystery story, while VLR is toned down to a simple sci-fi story. The writer himself admitted it he preferred the former, but was forced to tone it down for younger audience.

I did not like the multitude of paths and branches, while they are there for story reasons, it made the "experience" forgettable, with only the final moments of each paths being memorable.

Plot progression is slower, with all the major progression being back-loaded, almost everything hits you all at once at the end of the game. The game, unlike 999, does not give you enough information to figure things on your own until about 20 hours into the game, depends on which paths you take. And even after the final reveals, you realize the entire game is just a setup for game 3, unlike 999 where although it sets up for a potential game 2, it at least concluded its own story arc.

As for things VLR did better than 999?
    The puzzles. The puzzles are more challenging and 90% of them have sound logic. They were fun and satisfying to solve.
    Skippable scenes and puzzles via flow chart. Definitely makes things more convenient, but also makes the story more easily mixed up. Might be an intended side effect, in retrospect.
    Voice acting. Better UI.

Whether or not it stacks up to its predecessor 999 is personal preference, but it does not change the fact that it is definitely one of the games you can own on Vita. $20 and 40 hours well spent.
  9. Oct 23, 2014
    I could say it is the best Vita game I have played so far. Never has a story impacted me so much, while the characters and emotions all remained in my mind even when I was not playing. I just wish the next one comes soon, so I can continue on the amazing thrill this game has given me.
  10. Aug 6, 2014
    This is quite simply one of the best games I've played ever and that is only for the story I've bought 3 copies for my friends and I don't regret a second of it if your thinking of getting this game well I can tell you you're doing yourself a big favor by getting it I promise you to the moon and back you are not making a mistake
  11. Jul 26, 2014
    A truly thought-provoking story, masterfully told. The interface is far more user-friendly than its predecessor (which you absolutely must play first) allowing for another tale steeped in mystery and excitement. The many plot twists culminate in a dramatic ending that just about retains its credibility.

Virtue's Last Reward is not just a game, it's an experience that should not be

Virtue's Last Reward is not just a game, it's an experience that should not be missed by anyone. As with 999, the puzzles soon turn into mere distractions from the main event of the magnificent (and sometimes disturbing) story.
  12. May 31, 2014
    I've never played a game with a more fleshed out, and realized story. All the characters are well written, and the voice acting is some of the best in video games. The gameplay is very well done, though some puzzles were a bit annoying. If you like adventure games, or more specifically visual novels that aren't just more slice of life, you will like this game.
  13. May 13, 2014
    Perfection, plain and simple. Great characters, great (although a bit technical and hard) story, great puzzles. Just buy it, it's the perfect way to support the third game in the seris.
  14. Mar 19, 2014
    This game is why I bought a vita, and this game made it all worth it. This is a thinking man's game- so you have to be prepared to actually read and solve puzzles. That being said, the narrative style of this game is unlike any other game, unique to the Zero escape series. The puzzles are all very well thought out and original. I HATE puzzle games on the whole, but I am addicted to theThis game is why I bought a vita, and this game made it all worth it. This is a thinking man's game- so you have to be prepared to actually read and solve puzzles. That being said, the narrative style of this game is unlike any other game, unique to the Zero escape series. The puzzles are all very well thought out and original. I HATE puzzle games on the whole, but I am addicted to the puzzles in this series because they are simply so well thought out and interlaced with the narrative. This particular game was so thought provoking I was questioning my own existence by the end of it. Are you familiar with the phrase "mind = blown"? This game offers that feeling in spades all throughout.

If you own a Vita and have not bought this game already, then you are missing out on (in my opinion) the best handheld game ever released for the platform.
  15. Mar 15, 2014
    This is one of those incredible games that aren`t very popular but they can surprise you when you play it.
    Both 999 and Virtue`s Last Reward are fantastic games. Incredible story, amazing characters and 24 fantastic endings. If you are a fan of Visual Novels you can`t miss this game!
  16. Mar 10, 2014
    amazing story that keeps you on your edge of your seat. great series of rooms to solve. 3DS gets the edge as its much easier to write with a stylus rather than your fingers. with over 20 endings. there is a ton of replay value. might be a little lost if you didn't play the first game in the series (999) as it was DS only.
  17. Feb 1, 2014
    I was hesitant whether or not to get this game at first,probably due to the puzzle sections,as I wasn't accustomed to playing puzzle games.
    As I finished the game,it instantly became one of the best game experiences I've had in all my life,everything is just amazing.And because of that I can say: Go for it. [Just be sure to play its prequel first]
  18. Dec 26, 2013
    An amazing experience of a game, I had done no research on what kind of game it is prior to getting it and was very surprised upon playing it. Easily one of the best story-driven plot twisty games I have played. ever.
  19. Dec 13, 2013
    #1 Game for me for PS VITA, you simply can't put it down once you start playing. I downloaded this game for free as I'm a ps plus member but I will buy physical copy in the future because it's just awesome game and I want to have access on this game once my ps plus expires. Everything about it is brilliant: Storyline, Graphics Gameplay, Voice acting, etc... Puzzles are really challenging#1 Game for me for PS VITA, you simply can't put it down once you start playing. I downloaded this game for free as I'm a ps plus member but I will buy physical copy in the future because it's just awesome game and I want to have access on this game once my ps plus expires. Everything about it is brilliant: Storyline, Graphics Gameplay, Voice acting, etc... Puzzles are really challenging & fun. Once you start playing this game you can't stop playing afterwards until you finish it. Everybunny MUST buy this game Expand
  20. Dec 9, 2013
    My second game for PS Vita, my first entry to Visual Novel genre and my first platinum walkthrough.

The game is a mixture of Visual Novel and a Puzzle/Point-and-Click Adventure. A lot of text, not many animations. The story is very catchy and multy-layered. The information is given in portions and sometimes the new portion gives some new questions along with new clues. You have to find all the stuff and open all the branches of story to reveal all the details of the story. The characters are well written, have great models and voice acting (the voiceovers are in Japanese and the text is English). The gameplay is pretty comfortable, most of the time you won't need to completely walk through the previous puzzles if you forgot to take something, you can jump through rooms at any time.

The atmosphere is pressing and full of tension. I'd call this game a Sci-Fi thriller. The concept is similar to the one in movies like "The House Of The Nine", "Cube" and "Saw". But not so gory.

To be honest, I don't see any obvious disadvantages in this game. The only letdown can appear for the people that do not like to read because the game is heavily text-based. Anyone who loves story-oriented games should try this. The game is a masterpiece. Hopefully, I manage to play the first part of the series somehow though I do not own a DS console.
  21. Dec 1, 2013
    Virtue's Last Reward is simply the best Visual Novel I have EVER played. It has everything this type of games needs, from original and mind-blowing plot (masterpiece!), to great characters, to awesome art and wonderful soundtrack. If you're into Visual Novels, and haven't played Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, do it. Now.
  22. Nov 28, 2013
    Wow, is this game overrated. It's essentially Myst, set in a dystopian Big Brother setting. A story puzzler with terrible writing (the characters and dialogue are atrocious, imo), terrible puzzles, and sad visuals. Quite a let down. I wish I got the great experience out of it that many others clearly have.
  23. Nov 9, 2013
    A very interesting game. The plot has many twists and a lot of different outcomes, and all the characters are unique and unpredictible. In my opinion it gets a bit to slow paced though as the dialogues can drag on for eternity it seems without you doing nothing but inhaling tons of information.
  24. Sep 10, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic, and one of the best stories I've ever experienced in video games. I strongly recommend people to play this. Definitely worth it. Words cannot even describe how great and epic the story is; especially the ending. It was mind-blowing.
  25. Sep 2, 2013
    I donĀ“t liked the demo, but when sony give this game with plus i give it another choice. This game have a really great history and characters, some of the puzzles are impossible without a guide.
  26. Aug 23, 2013
    NT1, this is a "Visual Novel" not really a game, so go play CoD or something.
    This has one of the most complex, interesting and enjoyable stories of anything I've ever seen, And I highly recommend it to any people looking for a game with story. The graphics, although simple, look really nice on the Vita's screen.
    Each character has their own ending, and All are very fun to earn. The
    NT1, this is a "Visual Novel" not really a game, so go play CoD or something.
    Each character has their own ending, and All are very fun to earn. The choices are fairly simple, but the timeline is massive, and I loved unlocking everything on it. The puzzles can be hard, and I did get stuck on a few occasions, but I never got too frustrated at them.
    Overall, this game will last you quite a while to do everything, and is one of the best games I've ever played.
  27. Jul 29, 2013
    I have no words for how incredible this game was. YOU NEED TO PLAY THE PREQUEL 999 FIRST. It only had such an impact because of it. It connected so well, the story was just phenomenal. Puzzles were difficult and frustrating at times, but that's the point of the game I guess. Hard to name much games with a better story than this. Also the soundtrack was out of this world.
  28. Jul 13, 2013
    I give this game ~9.5
    I heard great things about this game before, but I never would have thought it would be THIS fantastic!
    I give this game ~9.5
    The story is so.. compex, brilliant, thoughtful, disturbing, creepy, and touching all at the same time. The "endings" structure of the game makes it one of the most complex games since Myst. The characters are unique and likeable. And nothing is predictable or goes as planned.

This game's story may be the biggest mind-f**ks in the history of gaming!!!!!
    Gonna buy its sequest day 1.
  29. Jun 15, 2013
    Before starting this review, one warning about this game: if you DO NOT LIKE reading much and WANT action, turn and leave immediately and never return. For those who actually do like, I only have to say one thing: this game is a masterpiece. This one of the best adventure games I've played on this generation of portable console. It has almost everything done right: the story is fantasticBefore starting this review, one warning about this game: if you DO NOT LIKE reading much and WANT action, turn and leave immediately and never return. For those who actually do like, I only have to say one thing: this game is a masterpiece. This one of the best adventure games I've played on this generation of portable console. It has almost everything done right: the story is fantastic and it will hook you right in once you start (it literally did hook me until I was done with it!) and has so many twists and so much background history that you'll just want to know how, when, why! The characters are great and you'll be either hating and loving them accordingly on you'll play the game, especially if some of you have played the previous game (999) since few characters come from there (how many, you have to find out yourself). The new characters are also interesting and you'll always want to know their backstories, without mentioning that you WILL hate them at a some point. Infact, this game is all based about trust and betrayal, and as much as being a small detail, this detail is the main factor of the game that will carry until the end. So the story is good, but what about the gameplay? Well the original game had a big flaw on that department, being extremely easy and just too short to finish, and that you had to repeat the same section over and over without being able to skip. VLR however strikes and wins also on the longevity by not only having over 9 endings (not counting the bad endings AND the true ending), but by also having some great puzzles that are actually pretty challenging...if you want to, since there's an easy option to put it in easy anytime (which will basically give you hints now and then) and the possibility to skip right away any dialogue that you've seen, with also a handy screen where you can jump scenes anytime, which will make following the paths so much easier in comparison to the previous game. However you'll have to finish the game in hard for unlocking most of the stuff, but in either easy or hard difficulty this will easily take your over 30 hours of gameplay to complete the game entirely (without mentioning that it's also a pretty easy platinum, for those who are trophy hunters). Although It DOES have some big flaws that even if they are big they do not really ruin the game. For starters, the VITA version do have better visuals and graphics, and while I'm no graphic maniac this is kind of a big winning point considering that this game is still a "Visual" Novel, and this version definitely wins on the "visual" part AND the also on being more stable than the 3DS version (my sister, who owns the 3DS version of this game, at least froze 3 times and there's also a bug that if you save during a puzzle section, it will freeze); also the character models while not being exciting or great, they are still better to look than the 3DS version, even though the characters have minimal animations and only during dialogues, and only few cutscenes are actually animated well, while the rest are basically still images which is rather disappointing considering that while 999 was entirely in 2D, this one has actually 3D enviroments and character models, but no barely any animation. Second, the game has lowered the dark tone of the game, from being extremely frightful in the first game (there was a time limit and the death penalty was rather gruesome), from being more calm and not always menacing (no actual time limit and the death penalty is also painless). I heard that the lowering in tone was due of the extremely dark tone of the first game and that was actually too scary for some people, and while I don't really mind this change I still loved the thrilling enviroment of the first game. Third, while the VITA version has almost no bugs and better visuals, the controls on the other hand are crippled to the extreme, making the use of the in-built basically impossible due to the laggy interface, while the 3DS version works great and you can easily make notes on it. Pen and paper still works best however. In any case the game is just great to see and fantastic to play. Like I said at the start, if you love visual novel style of adventures, this game is a must buy because of it's huge longevity and replay value (since that replaying in hard is kind of a must), with a great story to follow and so many twists that will just surprise you on so many levels. Also I want to say that, if you play the European version, you'll only get the Japanese dubbing, while the american version has both japanese and american dubbing: this is only personal choice, however the dubbings were pretty good and have some good voice acting and voice actors (although the bunny in english was hilarious!). Just remember that you cannot remove the voices and so you'll have to stick with it for the rest of the game. With that said, if you want a good adventure game, give it try and stay tuned for the next game! Expand
  30. May 13, 2013
    Don't allow the poor technical aspects of this game fool you. Setting them aside, this game is an absolute masterpiece. You might be surprised that it doesn't treat you like a brainless brat, like most of the games nowadays do. It treats you as an intelligent adult, and also demands you some reading and thinking.

If you like quality Sci-Fi, once you start spotting a glimpse of the full

If you like quality Sci-Fi, once you start spotting a glimpse of the full plot, you will be inevitably trapped in the mysteries and twists happening in front of you.

Plot is great, characters are deep, and surprisingly, the game succeeds at creating its own language. One that ties the plot to a videogame. It's impossible to export this story to a book or film. So you should run to buy and enjoy this game, because as Phi would say:

"Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere"

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward comes with a good plot and many surprise twists, in a storyline influenced by our choices that will lead to 24 different endings. With puzzles that will be a challenge for any player, and belonging to a not-too-common genre, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward will constitute a unique experience.
  2. Mar 13, 2013
    Virtue's Last Reward delivers a great amount of fun. With improved gameplay mechanics and +30h of lifespan, you won't find anything better than Chunsoft's last effort.
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    An amazing storyline for an excellent visual novel that will keep you in suspense for hours.