8.4

1. Nov 11, 2013
    I don't usually get scared, by anything, but this... I am frequently having to take 5-10 minute breaks to get my breathe back. The soundtrack is also phenomenal, and the grainy graphics and sounds makes everything even scarier. Amazing game, and gripping storyline. Only faults are a couple of small holes in the story and the controls.
  2. Apr 3, 2013
    A decent enough continuation of the series into the console era. It follows the Alone in the Dark Formula to the letter. And that is it's biggest flaw. It doesn't do anything new. It is more or less exactly the same as the 3 game that came before it, just with better visuals. A pity, as this did feel like a wasted opportunity.

Overall: While it does feel like they could have done more,

Overall:
    While it does feel like they could have done more, Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare is still a great game that does do what it sets out to do.
  3. Mar 26, 2013
    Interesting resident evil style game that will most likely only appeal to hardcore survival horror fans. I really wanted to love this game being a huge of resident evil and Dino crisis fan. The puzzles were way too hard though and also there were way too many keys without proper instruction where to use them.
  4. May 31, 2012
    One of the first games that was able to scare me. Many have called it a resident evil rip off but it actually sticks pretty close to the gameplay mechanics and style of the original alone in the dark games, which predate RE by a few years... so who borrowed from who again? Anyway, Shadow Island is a creepy place to explore and you get to do it in two different scenarios, which are actuallyOne of the first games that was able to scare me. Many have called it a resident evil rip off but it actually sticks pretty close to the gameplay mechanics and style of the original alone in the dark games, which predate RE by a few years... so who borrowed from who again? Anyway, Shadow Island is a creepy place to explore and you get to do it in two different scenarios, which are actually much different from each other and both just as fresh and exciting. It's the best in the series, but also the last good entry to date. Expand
  5. MattyS.
    Dec 20, 2002
    This game is Amazing! I loved it from the start. The best thing is 2 discs with two totaly different adventures for only £21.99. My opinion 4 all ppl out there... BUY IT!
  6. AlanW.
    Apr 1, 2002
    This game was pretty cool, but there were too many keys that when you examined them didn't hinder good instructions. I could never find the doors the keys said that they went to! Overall, a good survival/horror game with decent graphics, and, "That almost made me piss my pants!" effects.
  7. JoS.
    Nov 6, 2001
    This game is very good but some of the solutions are very obscure and it it pure luck if you find some of them but it is very scary, exciting and fun. The graphics are awesome.
  8. EvilResident
    Sep 19, 2001
    Let Me Get Straight To The Point About That This Game: It Is Scary, So Before You Decide To Play It, I Suggest That You Buy A Few Extra Pairs Of Pants Because You Will Be Filling Them With A Solid Substance. You Can Tell Straight Away That This Is Going To Be An Excellent Game By The Opening FMV Sequence, and Once The Game Starts The Graphics And The Lighting Effects Are Superb. There Let Me Get Straight To The Point About That This Game: It Is Scary, So Before You Decide To Play It, I Suggest That You Buy A Few Extra Pairs Of Pants Because You Will Be Filling Them With A Solid Substance. You Can Tell Straight Away That This Is Going To Be An Excellent Game By The Opening FMV Sequence, and Once The Game Starts The Graphics And The Lighting Effects Are Superb. There Are Very Few Glitches In The Game, but The Thing That Annoyed Me A little Bit Was When The Character Walked Onto Another Screen And The Game Sticks For A Split Second But Is Still Noticable. There Is A lot Of Gameplay To Be Had In This Game With It Having 2 Cd's And 2 Scenarios, One With A Women And One With A Man, Both Having Different Reasons For Going Onto Shadow Island. They Get Split Up At The Beginning Of The Game And Have To Complete Numerous Puzzles To Find What They Are Looking For And Get Of The Monster Invested Island. Over All The Gameplay And The Story Is Excellent And If You Decide To Buy This Game, You Will Not Be Disappointed. Expand
  9. WiraP.
    Aug 12, 2001
    Totally great game. Will wait for the next game, and I hope its not gonna be the same title.
  10. VictoriaB.
    Jul 27, 2001
    It's the ultimate game meant for those quick witted thinkers and has that distinct horror/survival game flavor.

1. With eye-popping graphics and outrageous sound effects, Alone in the Dark excels at being creepy.
  2. Truly a fantastic game and shines like a diamond stone. With the limitations of the PlayStation, the developers have still managed to cram every last bit of detail into this one. Go out a buy it. Now!
  3. This game is tough – but from my general experience, this is what survival horror games are all about.