Chrono Cross PlayStation
8.7

1. Jan 19, 2011
    Chrono Cross is an amazing RPG and I am happy I stumbled upon it. I never really played Chrono Trigger so I don't really understand the backlash this game received by some fans. The graphics are great and every element that makes a great RPG are there.
  2. Sep 30, 2012
    Absolutely Fantastic and sometimes philosophic storyline! Awesome visuals! Great and charismatic characters! Tons of references to Chrono Trigger! A lot of great features and thing to do while exploring both worlds! All of this make the Game one of the greatest JRPGs I've ever played!
  3. Feb 23, 2013
    Though not the hardest game, everything else is just outstanding. It has a complex and fascinating story, a great OST, amazing gameplay and surely one of the most beautiful graphic ever seen on the psx. If you aks me, even if you dont play rpgĀ“s its a must have.
  4. Aug 12, 2013
    Chrono Cross is one of those games where you just want to love just about everything about it once you've played it for any length of time. The musical composition, the character interactions, the dynamic gameplay, and the narrative drive are just some of the major highlights of this excellent game. Sure, it misses a few things here and there, but it makes all the right stops, hits all theChrono Cross is one of those games where you just want to love just about everything about it once you've played it for any length of time. The musical composition, the character interactions, the dynamic gameplay, and the narrative drive are just some of the major highlights of this excellent game. Sure, it misses a few things here and there, but it makes all the right stops, hits all the right notes, and comes off as one of the most memorable experiences I've had in my entire gaming career. Not to mention, it features one of the best twists of gaming history as well, and it's just plain epic to behold and fathom. Expand
  5. Sep 3, 2012
    Since Chrono Trigger is one of my all-time favorites, I really didn't know what to expect with this game. Although I am a bit sad they didn't make it more like CT, I understand and respect where Square was going with this. IMO, they still made a very good RPG with tons of characters and a beautiful world and story. The game takes some time to warm up but once you learn how equip spellsSince Chrono Trigger is one of my all-time favorites, I really didn't know what to expect with this game. Although I am a bit sad they didn't make it more like CT, I understand and respect where Square was going with this. IMO, they still made a very good RPG with tons of characters and a beautiful world and story. The game takes some time to warm up but once you learn how equip spells properly and setup your party, this game is amazingly fun and long lasting. The music is very good as well, but IMO nowhere near CT. Overall Chrono Cross was a very rewarding adventure for me, the world locations were all very cool and worth visiting. There was a sort of "magical aspect" to this game that they did very well presenting. This game literally has some of the best end game content and replay-ability of any video game created. There are multiple ways you can go about your adventure, choosing different characters each time, having different outcomes and endings. This is what truly shined in CT as well, and Square did a hell of a job implementing it here. I still hope I live to see the day of CT remake though, my how epic that would be. Collapse
  6. Jun 10, 2011
    Bring a few tissue boxes before you hit New Game. Video games were never intended to reach the level of emotional involvement that Chrono Cross did. While Chrono Cross fell victim to being criticized for being too different from Chrono Trigger and not very sequel-like, Cross is ultimately the better game of the two in every single meaningful area, and all of its changes are for the better,Bring a few tissue boxes before you hit New Game. Video games were never intended to reach the level of emotional involvement that Chrono Cross did. While Chrono Cross fell victim to being criticized for being too different from Chrono Trigger and not very sequel-like, Cross is ultimately the better game of the two in every single meaningful area, and all of its changes are for the better, unless you were one of the aforementioned people who wanted nothing more than Chrono Trigger 2. What separates Chrono Cross the most from every other game is its skill at evoking emotions in the player. Cross will make you sob like a scolded little girl at the sad scenes and grin like it's your first hit of cocaine at the happy scenes. No other RPG has been able to do this quite like Cross was able to. Possibly the most imaginative game ever created, it will literally take you across time and space to reach one ultimate final point that ties everything together. The "true" ending is so mind-blowing and surreal that by the time the end credits and epilogue finish, you'll be sitting feeling like you've changed as a person as a result of what you've experienced. Again, video games were never intended to be this emotionally involving. It just wasn't considered possible. Chrono Cross is easily one of the best if not the best RPGs ever created, as well as one of the best games ever made. The game's biggest drawback is that it does, at some point, end. But it gently takes your hands and helps you up off the floor and shows you a very meaningful New Game+, which is well worth exploring. Cross sits comfortably next to Freespace 2, an emotionally supercharged and story-driven space combat simulator that accomplished what shooters were never intended to do, as my favorite game of all time. Expand
  7. Oct 6, 2011
    A well-crafted videogame that may put some people off due to its unique combat system. On the other hand, the story, visuals, and music are timeless. Not to mention the dream-like atmosphere. In a way, it does feel like the developers were trying to turn the Chrono series into the next Final Fantasy and it would have been interesting to see a third game in the series. By its own right,A well-crafted videogame that may put some people off due to its unique combat system. On the other hand, the story, visuals, and music are timeless. Not to mention the dream-like atmosphere. In a way, it does feel like the developers were trying to turn the Chrono series into the next Final Fantasy and it would have been interesting to see a third game in the series. By its own right, Chrono Cross is still a very enjoyable experience. I would highly recommend it for those looking for a unique JRPG experience. Expand
  8. Sep 14, 2013
    Too many people try to compare Chrono Cross with Chrono Trigger directly. Other than having "Chrono" in the name and being RPGs, these games are nothing alike. Not to mention they are on different systems with entirely different capabilities. I love both, and yes I love Trigger more, but Chrono Cross was a beautiful creation that deserves its own respect. For one thing, the soundtrack isToo many people try to compare Chrono Cross with Chrono Trigger directly. Other than having "Chrono" in the name and being RPGs, these games are nothing alike. Not to mention they are on different systems with entirely different capabilities. I love both, and yes I love Trigger more, but Chrono Cross was a beautiful creation that deserves its own respect. For one thing, the soundtrack is AMAZING. I'm not a big video game music kind of guy, but Chrono Cross is the first game soundtrack I actually put on my iPod. It's a masterpiece and quintessential daydreaming music. Second point: the graphic detail. Every last scene in this game has an incredible attention to detail that I don't think can be matched by any other PS1 RPG. It's not the best RPG on the system, don't get me wrong, but it certainly shined in some areas where the typical contenders for best RPG weren't nearly as strong.

The gameplay itself certainly didn't add anything new, which is what I think hurts this game the most. It's not exactly marks against it as far as smooth gameplay is concerned, because they stuck with what was proven to work. I still think a more innovating approach was worthy of a branding name as iconic as "Chrono", but I think Squaresoft was too afraid to take such a big risk with something that was inherently going to be attached to Chrono Trigger by name alone. This backfired, as Chrono Cross is clearly inferior, but its still a strong game. The storyline and characters are interesting, and the FMVs are pretty amazing. If Squaresoft took a leap at some sort of innovative combat system, they probably would have had the best RPG of the PSX on their hands. But their oddly conservative move instead added another "great but not epic" RPG to the Playstation library.
  9. Oct 16, 2011
    Very fun and magical. I can't give it a perfect score though. The new way you level up is akin to monster hunter, you have to upgrade your equipment to really get an edge. Your level is maxed depending on where you are in the game, so killing random encounters becomes pointless once you get the items you need. However, it's nice to constantly be challenged, than to just bulldoze throughVery fun and magical. I can't give it a perfect score though. The new way you level up is akin to monster hunter, you have to upgrade your equipment to really get an edge. Your level is maxed depending on where you are in the game, so killing random encounters becomes pointless once you get the items you need. However, it's nice to constantly be challenged, than to just bulldoze through bosses. However, you miss the feeling of achievement spending a long time playing the game, since your levels are usually a measure of that. There's some funny lines and lively characters though, but there's so many characters you can play as (and can only choose 2 optional characters at a time) their personalities get lost in the clutter. The game has the same type of beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds as FF7,8, and 9. Expand
  10. Aug 25, 2011
    Chrono Cross is an engrossing game that'll have you hooked! The story goes on for around 40+ hours (not including new game+.) The visuals are fantastic and the color schemes for every screen are beautiful and vibrant. The battle system can become a little stale BUT boss battles won't disappoint. Since this game has a few dozen useable characters there's bound to be a lack of backgroundChrono Cross is an engrossing game that'll have you hooked! The story goes on for around 40+ hours (not including new game+.) The visuals are fantastic and the color schemes for every screen are beautiful and vibrant. The battle system can become a little stale BUT boss battles won't disappoint. Since this game has a few dozen useable characters there's bound to be a lack of background info on most and that's true. There's a few characters that are essential and actually add to the plot but having so many options is always fun. The element system was a nice breath of fresh air to the magic system in RPGs. Overall this game will give you plenty of gameplay and the replayability is high. This game is a classic and you won't be let down. Expand
  11. Jul 31, 2012
    A game with a genius battle system and soundtrack that is held back by its unevenly executed story (ie: info dumps). The game's world and art is beautiful, but the emotional attachment to the story is put singularly on one character that they put on hiatus for the entire second act. It honestly lacks drive but has enough verve for its own audience.
  12. Jan 29, 2014
    Never mind the fact that this game is meant to be a sequel to Chrono Trigger. It's still a rather disappointing experience. Even if you were to try to count Cross as its own game, its blatant, though rare, references to Trigger make it hard to do so; it's incredibly distracting. Its story falls flat due to two things: its needlessly complicated plot and lack of focus on characters. TheNever mind the fact that this game is meant to be a sequel to Chrono Trigger. It's still a rather disappointing experience. Even if you were to try to count Cross as its own game, its blatant, though rare, references to Trigger make it hard to do so; it's incredibly distracting. Its story falls flat due to two things: its needlessly complicated plot and lack of focus on characters. The producers of Cross must have underestimated just how attached players had become to the characters of Trigger; the characters felt real and players felt they could relate to them. This is what kept its simple plot alive. Cross, however, trades this off for a plot that starts out interesting but ends up falling over itself and stuffed down the player's throat.

The gameplay is somewhat engaging, though not very balanced between player and AI. The stamina and percentage mechanics are neat concepts, but the battles usually feel easy. Combine this with a magic-grid system for 45 different characters and you have something that is, like the story, needlessly complicated and tedious.

The game does deserve to be praised for its presentation: this is probably the best looking PS1 game. Add to that a stunning and fitting soundtrack and the game suddenly becomes something worth playing at least once. Overall, Chrono Cross attempts to stand proud with it's older brother, as well as with other JRPGs, but utterly fails.
  13. Aug 20, 2013
    A brilliant game that deserves a the same reversioning being given to the equally brilliant Final Fantasy series. A fresh translation and an HD update would likely lead to the dozen sequels Trigger and Cross fans imagine every time a new FF spin-off (or cash-cow, as the case often is) is announced.

Which is to say, 'was Dirge of Cerebus really a more vital project than a shiny new Chrono?' or 'How many Dissidias's did we really need?'

Not that i didn't enjoy Duodecim or Duodenum or-- whatever the hockey-sticks. i absolutely did. It was what Tobal no. 1 might have been if we were up to Tobal no. 947. Exceptionally good fun, with lots of smashing and fan setvice. But it's not likely to end up in the Smithsonian 100 years from now alongside FFVII and Metroid and the Xenosaga trilogy. (Hey, don't knock it till you've played it all, including reading every codex entry and understanding every reference. While it's not strictly necessary to speak french, german, japanese, english and to study the more "eccentric" edges of Judaism to play and enjoy Xenosaga, it does help. It's a game for eager, curious, smart people, and in that context, it is arguably the finest science fiction ever conceived in any medium. It's a bold declaration, but also one that only those who didn't finish the trilogy with a full understanding of the story ever argue with. It's a favorite among sociology and theology majors. i digress.)

While i wouldn't go quite so far as to give Chrono Cross a 10, as doing so would confidently declare it in every way equal to the greatest games in the entire history of video gaming, a solid 9 is by no means an exaggeration. Chrono cross is a rockstar of a game, and JRPG royalty.

"Magnificent" is a good adjective. "Perfect" is a stretch, but i understand the impulse. There are better RPGs in the world, but bet'cha by golly wow...not many.

Tangentially, dropping a 0 on a game of this caliber (while simultaneously misspelling every third word and displaying a complete inability to utilize even the most basic tenants of english grammar) because you couldn't follow the fairly straightforward story is admitting you didn't finish the game and tantamount to saying "Don't play this game if you're slow in the head, recovering from a severe concussion, or have difficulty with polysyllabic words and understanding the concept of zero as the absence of a number."

Zero is the Dark Matter of mathematics. We can't see it, but we know it exists because without it, the rest of math doesn't function properly. That's what zero is. An absence of numbers. And, as this game clearly exists, and for all intents and purposes does precisely what it sets out to do, giving Chrono Cross, (or any functioning game) a zero is rather silly.

I'm sure many a halo-fan would find this game slow and wordy, but wasting your own time in an effort to accomplish god-only-knows-what achieves very little beyond making you look terrifically stupid and astonishingly petty.

By all means, write a negative review if that's how you feel. Such editorial balance is crucial to painting a picture of any product, but throw in a reason or two. something beyond "i can't read good", and please, please (i simply cannot stress this enough) play the whole game first. Indeed, i myself, as a god-like master of using words that make me appear far smarter than i really am, find that it can be awfully difficult to grasp the full scope of a tale before i've...heard the tale.
    It's just a thought.

Also, good grammar is sexy as hell. Don't let anyone tell you different.

love and textbook-length game manuals,
    the Doctor
  14. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having played through the first disc, I can tell you, Chrono Cross is a timeless classic for fans of Chrono Trigger, especially near the end, where the pieces start to fit together and you see the little ghost versions of Crono, Lucca, and Marle! However, don't go in expecting it to be CT, it plays way differently, and it's character list is way more elaborately constructed (And way more difficult to complete). If you've played Final Fantasy 4, you may remember how they switched you from Dark to Light... Well, that's the case for disc 1, about halfway in you get transformed from Light to Dark, forcing you to lose all your cool Light magic such as Luminair, and you get stuck with the body and magic of Lynx, the game's antagonist, and right when you get used to it, you get to choose whether or not to revert back to Serge.

I've noticed a lot of people have compared this game to FFVII, I will not, as the game's combat system disqualifies it from being comparable. Alternatively, I *will* compare it to Xenogears, as they both feel the same, forgive me if the comparison is a bit...."iffy" as I haven't played Xenogears in about a year.

Comparison commence: 1. Combat:Both games rely on an "Active Combo" system, in which the player tacks on another attack until the Action Points(AP) are gone. With Xenogears the "Magic" is preforming the correct combo to execute a finishing move. With Chrono Cross you use a Tech attack, and may then use another action. The AP is distributed fairly the same throughout both games. After the battle you get a victory animation in Xenogears, but in Chrono Cross the party just stands there in their battle poses.
    2. Intro: Both games begin with a cutscene foreshadowing an event that the player goes through, Xenogears' in anime, Chrono Cross' in the in game graphics. Xenogears starts out strong, hitting home early on, revealing enough to keep the player enthralled an not confused. Chrono Cross starts out with a dreamlike sequence wherein the player sees a the camera zoom into a tower and then serge and two other party members in an elevator. the player then goes through the second half of the dungeon until they meet the boss. After waking up in both games you get your first glance at the starting village. After walking around a bit in Xenogears the starting event occurs, after which you are kicked out of the village forever. In Chrono Cross, you walk around a bit doing something that doesn't do anything for the player, but moves the story along a bit. after which, you get dropped into a parallel universe wherein Serge died when he was younger, and everyone in your home village is a complete dick to you.
    3. Likeness to CT: While the storyline in Chrono Cross is closer, wins in the gameplay department ( with the exception of combat). If you're looking for a game that feels like CT, you're going to end up buying both of them, for the simple fact that they're like two halves of the same whole, with the exception of combat.

All-in-all, this game is a must have for RPG lovers, fans of CT, and gamers in general! Well, that about wraps up my review, so if you got this far: thank you for reading this giant wall of text! I hope you found this helpful!
  15. Sep 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has the best soundtrack of any game I've ever played, and that's saying something. Great choice of characters to play as, too. My only real flaw with the game is the (possible) lack of Magus/Janus. I would have loved to see him and Schala reunited. This game's definitely confusing, but it still gets a perfect score from me. That's how good it is. Expand
  16. May 19, 2011
    Best turn based RPG that I have played in a long long time. Love the characters and the story. The combat is sometimes slow, but you feel satisfied that you actually accomplish something with each battle. I think I will have to reboot this again.
  17. Feb 4, 2012
    In one sentence: Chrono Cross is the best game of all time. I already give up of trying to compare this masterpiece to any other game. The concept of parallel dimensions, the OST composed by Yasunori Mitsuda, and many others features, put the title above any other. An experience you will not forget.
  18. Nov 21, 2012
    Awful story, and story is the most important factor in an RPG. Battle system is just awful. I only played through it simply to play through it, I would not recommend this game to an enemy.
  19. Sep 8, 2013
    Okay... I'm possibly the biggest Chrono Trigger fan... and let me tell you... Chrono Cross... is NOT a sequel to Chrono Trigger by any means... sure there are a few references... but that' all I seen after playing the game for approx. 5 hours.

So not only does it not have anything to do with the original, but the gameplay itself is nothing like the original either. And the music for the basic battle sequences... has to be some of the most annoying music ever. Sure... they did do a few remixes from the original score... and they had a nostalgic feeling to them... but yeah. This was a very poor game in comparison to the original, and I seriously cannot believe the high scores this game received. Just goes to show that you can't always trust reviews...

Final thoughts... I suppose graphics were decent enough, and a few of the remixed songs were ok. But other than that, this game is, and was, complete garbage. I'm only giving it a 1 for the world map which is about the only good thing about the game, and some of the remixed music.
  20. Aug 21, 2012
    Best opening, best ending (the real one, using the chrono cross after the right colors). Most likely the best soundtrack as well. This game is a no brainer 10/10
  21. Sep 2, 2011
    Amazing music, great story and wonderful dialogue. I feel those that sleight the story didn't quite understand it. It relates to anyone and everyone in such a beautiful way. Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, what we really want will always be out of reach. It's good to see a game promoting realism and the unfair nature of life, while still maintaining being an enjoyable experience. FarAmazing music, great story and wonderful dialogue. I feel those that sleight the story didn't quite understand it. It relates to anyone and everyone in such a beautiful way. Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, what we really want will always be out of reach. It's good to see a game promoting realism and the unfair nature of life, while still maintaining being an enjoyable experience. Far too many games (especially for its time) analyze endings without any repercussions whatsoever. An outstanding game and sequel. Expand
  22. Dec 17, 2011
    First of all, Chrono Cross is, without a doubt, an incredible game. I know it's a little late for this, but the purpose of this review is to dispel both the fanboy notions and the hater venom rampant in these user reviews. Chrono Cross stands on its' own, apart from Chrono Trigger, and it is clear that this was a primary goal of the development team. Comparisons are invited, but notFirst of all, Chrono Cross is, without a doubt, an incredible game. I know it's a little late for this, but the purpose of this review is to dispel both the fanboy notions and the hater venom rampant in these user reviews. Chrono Cross stands on its' own, apart from Chrono Trigger, and it is clear that this was a primary goal of the development team. Comparisons are invited, but not necessarily deserved. I need to point out (as objectively as possible) that the gameplay does not "suck" as so many people have said (giving no reason for their opinion), but is merely different. If you take one thing away from this review, know that this game is simply different from other RPGs. Even to this day, it's magic and leveling systems differ wildly from most games in the genre, and while it may not appeal to gamers who like to powerlevel and bulldoze their way through an experience, Chrono Cross finds a home with those who enjoy the occasional challenge. You may have to give it a while, but the story is actually better than the usual RPG fare (especially for this generation) once you decipher what exactly is going on, and some (but admittedly not all) of the characters are deep enough to genuinely like. The Music is top-notch, and we can get pretty much everyone to agree on that.
    Almost done and sorry for the long review on an outdated game. My PS3 recently went down, and so I've been playing Chrono Trigger on an emulator and Chrono Cross on my PS2, pretty much at the same time. being OBJECTIVE I can honestly say that Cross stands up to it's predecessor in every way, and though I love Trigger, I will say that while it is a masterpiece and does withstand the test of time to a large extent, it is more fondly remembered that happily played. Trigger features a relatively typical battle system (dual and triple techs aside), and the story often just as incomprehensible and silly as some other RPGs *CoughFFVIICough*. Chrono Cross may not be as well-remebered as Chrono Trigger, but even when held away from the light of that classic it shines on its' own.
  23. Mar 10, 2012
    Well, maybe i have a low taste of RPG games. I'm already finished Final Fantasy series (5-9) coupled years ago, sometimes try a newer one like The Last Remnant. But i just feel like something is missing there, so i decided to try again (for the last time?) to satisfying my childhood live as a RPG gamer. I suddenly realized that i am not failed for it..

1 weeks ago, i got a copy of this

1 weeks ago, i got a copy of this game (illegally, as always) then i played it with emulator (as always too). First day i feel like an idiot, "How could i lost to an early monsters so easy?!!". But surrender is not my way. Second day it's going better to understand this game, "To beat a yellow innate enemy i must using a green innate attack against them, hmm i see now..."

Everything raised exponentially at the third day, i found that there is a damn lot of character i can get along the way (44 at all, compared to 102 of Suikoden's well that's insane one). My interest go to it's peak when i finished the game 2 days ago at the fifth day, what's the purpose of this 'journey'? Well it seems like an endless reincarnation (or dream?) 'cause we can repeat it over and over, but that's make all of this 'journey' absolutely not irrational.

The conclusion is, for an old gamer like me Chrono Cross is a classic Marlboro cigarette (i can't find another damn thing as comparison, lol). Why? 'cause the game story make me feels like 'crossing' my dimension of time and space, sometimes made me guess, "Am i living in my present, future or past right now..?"

Well you know, i won't surprised if there is still a boy who playing this classic one right now outside there. It's simply worth, and now i can rest in peace as an ex RPG gamers.

P.S: I don't get it, why some people blame this one as a failure 'cause of Chrono Trigger (success..?). Believe me, that's a **** one. I see at the last part of the games, 3 characters from CT waiting on Opassa Beach then begging desperately to Serge & co. to beat the last boss in a right way. What was that for? a cameo? I won't care the fact that officially CC is a sequel of CT, trust me :-)
  24. Dec 17, 2012
    I love this game. This game is the perfect sequel to Chrono Trigger, good graphics for a Ps1 title and a compelling story a square soft yes SQUARE SOFT classic. The game play is boring yes and at times fights although avoidable, stemming from the visible monster mechanic from Chrono Trigger can get on your nerves. With multiple scenarios cast along a single story thread, and manyI love this game. This game is the perfect sequel to Chrono Trigger, good graphics for a Ps1 title and a compelling story a square soft yes SQUARE SOFT classic. The game play is boring yes and at times fights although avoidable, stemming from the visible monster mechanic from Chrono Trigger can get on your nerves. With multiple scenarios cast along a single story thread, and many different endings, each replay can result in an entirely new adventure so it is worth replaying not to mentions a great game mechanic new game plus. Game Play = 7
    Story = 10 If you are an old school Jrpg fan this game is for you.
  25. Sep 29, 2013
    Great story, no real grinding either in the game, you just mix and match attacks and characters and enjoy the ride. With so many characters and paths in the game, it has great replay value.
  26. Sep 3, 2012

1. It wasn't quite the "Chrono Trigger" sequel most people expected, but it's a magnificent game by its own right. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. A beautifully crafted and fresh take on stale RPG gameplay, delivering an experience that rivals "Final Fantasy."
  3. From the incredible story line to the combat system to the great visuals to the overall feel of the game, players will get the sense of how much of an impact a game like this can have.