Chrono Cross PlayStation

8.1

1. DarkS.
    Apr 17, 2003
    This is best rpg of all time!
  2. BenD.
    Jul 26, 2005
    This game is stunning from every aspect. First of all, it features the greatest battle system ever (although it takes a little while to fully understand), an outstanding soundtrack, masterfully done CG cutscenes, and the hands-down best graphics on the PS1. Chrono Cross is one of the few if not the only PS1 game with graphics that will continue to impress gamers no matter how old it gets. This game is stunning from every aspect. First of all, it features the greatest battle system ever (although it takes a little while to fully understand), an outstanding soundtrack, masterfully done CG cutscenes, and the hands-down best graphics on the PS1. Chrono Cross is one of the few if not the only PS1 game with graphics that will continue to impress gamers no matter how old it gets. I didn't like this game quite as much as Final Fantasy VII for reasons that I can't quite explain but it is my second favorite RPG and one of my all time favorite games. Expand
  3. EenerM.
    Apr 5, 2008
    EXTREMELY overhyped game that is really not worth any praise. Just tack Chrono in front of a game and all the fanboys will praise it like it's the best thing after sliced bread (as is apparant here). As an RPG it is extremely mediocre at best. The forced/restricted level system and combat system makes fighting nothing more then a tedious un-rewarding timesink. The gameplay is very EXTREMELY overhyped game that is really not worth any praise. Just tack Chrono in front of a game and all the fanboys will praise it like it's the best thing after sliced bread (as is apparant here). As an RPG it is extremely mediocre at best. The forced/restricted level system and combat system makes fighting nothing more then a tedious un-rewarding timesink. The gameplay is very un-imaginative and bland and the story is a garbled mess that makes no sense whatsoever. Also, none of the characters have any personality of their own at all, barring extremely annoying "accents" All in all, this is a very tedious and unrewarding game that completely relies on it's Chrono prefix and it's completely blind fanboy groupies. Square should be ashamed for making a connection between the brilliant Chronotrigger and this unimaginative game. Real grade for this would have been a 5, but all the unjustly given 10s have to be compensated somewhat. Expand
  4. TerryB.
    Jul 11, 2002
    A Pure Masterpeice showing once again, why square is the premiere games developer out there.
  5. SergeW.
    Aug 20, 2003
    I love the game my name is serge and....uh......I JUST LIKE IT OK (lol)
  6. NaomiM.
    Nov 1, 2004
    I really like this game and all the characters in it. There's like 40! I like the way you fight and stuff but to me the characters make the game.
  7. HenrykL
    Jan 2, 2010
    Well, Kubrick would be proud. There is only one thing bad about this game. Replayability , after finishing game there is really nothing more to do. But apart from this , this book its a masterpiece. FF sink down.
  8. DeusM.
    Oct 21, 2002
    Nothing short of great. If you love games where you can get confused as all hell if you think about it too much, but at the same time, watch the little inner stories unfold, then Chrono Cross will satisfy your RPin' hunger.
  9. WendyM.
    Jan 7, 2002
    It is one of the best video games i have ever played!Iwould reccomend it to anyone who likes action RPGs. It is alittle confusing at first, but still fun!
  10. BobM.
    Feb 15, 2002
    This is the best game in the world!
  11. RobinO.
    Sep 20, 2002
    Terribly overrated, although very well made. If you have played an RPG game before you will not be surprised in this game by its story, but its by far one of the nicest looking games for PSX. Gameplay sucks, and the difficulty level for the dungeons is way up there. But there are nice puzzles and side-games to keep you going til the end :)
  12. Kamere
    Feb 14, 2003
    The best rpg out to date. A must play game.
  13. MurphyH.
    Jul 6, 2003
    Square has impressed me once again.......the only games I can think of that are better than this are the original Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 7.
  14. JeffM.
    Nov 4, 2004
    Not many sequels are as good as if not better than the first one, this one wasn't as good or better but it was still great.
  15. CH
    Oct 2, 2005
    I loved it!
  16. RonconiG.
    Oct 6, 2005
    I really don't know if I should give a 10 too, probably a 9 would be enough, but this game caught me for hours and hours of intensive playing. The characters, story, soundtrack, everything is just awesome. The graphics look really great, and that for a PSX game. I would highly recommend this game, as it is one of the best RPGs I played, together with FF7 and Xenogears. Big thumbs up.
  17. AliceB.
    Mar 20, 2005
    I could't live without this game it is the best game ever to hit the market!!!
  18. DanS.
    Jan 28, 2007
    This is my favorite RPG, and quite possibly my favorite game of any genre.
  19. TargCollective
    Jun 15, 2007
    Where to start? The opening FMV is so engrossing that you will for certain sure watch it at least 10 times; possibly before you even play the game. Ditch your preconceptions. This game uses a level system like nothing you have ever seen. Your strength in combat is determined by the amount of 'stars' you have; you earn stars by playing through plot battles. You cannot powerlevel Where to start? The opening FMV is so engrossing that you will for certain sure watch it at least 10 times; possibly before you even play the game. Ditch your preconceptions. This game uses a level system like nothing you have ever seen. Your strength in combat is determined by the amount of 'stars' you have; you earn stars by playing through plot battles. You cannot powerlevel in this game, nor do you need to, as the experience you gain as you play is all you will need. You still need to fight! Fights reward you with various items, which you can give to a smith who will forge new weapons, armours and accessories for a fee. After you beat a boss battle you can obtain some stat boosts from fighting too. The magic system is also unique, as it relies on Elements. There are several different colours of Element, and these Elements can be of various power levels. There is no 'native' power level for an Element - so long as you have the ability to assign an Element to a power level, you can use any Element at that power level. As in Chrono Trigger, characters can learn 'techs', which can also be double and triple techs. The art and music is sublime. While that all seems disorganised and disparate, think a moment on what the greatest threat to RPGs is. In Final Fantasy 8, it is possible to beat seven shades out of T-Rexaur before you leave Balamb. It is possible to upgrade to second-tier magic before doing so! In Chrono Cross, the restrictive level system makes it more fun and challenging. Your opponents will always be a challenge. The only way of defeating them is through the use of strategy, intelligence and superior armanent. Therefore this game is a must; the sweet, superior perfection of game balance, the clear realism of the graphics and the enthralling plot combine to produce a strong contender for 'perfect game'. Designers take note: a progression-based level system makes sense! Expand
  20. MichaelM.
    Oct 12, 2008
    Some things that drew me to this game were the similar features of xenogears. I first played final fantasy vII which I enjoyed and then I played xenogears which I enjoyed even more.. then I thought chrono cross would be another good game to play but this game kinda pissed me off. In final fantasy VII and xenogears you know where to go and their are characters you can fall in love with.. Some things that drew me to this game were the similar features of xenogears. I first played final fantasy vII which I enjoyed and then I played xenogears which I enjoyed even more.. then I thought chrono cross would be another good game to play but this game kinda pissed me off. In final fantasy VII and xenogears you know where to go and their are characters you can fall in love with.. As it turns out this game you have to choose which characters you want to play and end up with different scenarios. I got lost in the story couple times while I did get lost in the story of xenogears that thing was like watching pulp fiction it really twists with your mind.. i loved it.. but damn chrono cross just pisses me off for soe raeson.. i got lost like millions of times in that game i didnt know where to go.. i hate looking up walkthoughs but for this game i had to which pisses me off. and also after i read some stuff their were like 45 characters you can choose and play from.. i can't fraekin fall in love with 45 freakin players.. give me 5 or 6 but not freakin 45 damn players.. i give squaresofts final fantasy VII and xenogears a 9 and a 10 respectively but chrono cross i think it really deserves a 7 rating imho. Expand
  21. DannyA
    Jul 19, 2008
    This game has got great music and graphics. But it has a crappy gameplay, useless level up system and the story is just terrible. It tarnishes Trigger's legacy in very horrible ways.
  22. DavidC
    Aug 31, 2009
    In the history of games, there has been an unspoken, rarely-recognized rule about how games end up good. The developers need to be passionate about their creation, as well as being masters of storytelling and design, and they need to be given all the freedom they need, so their vision really does come out, instead of being hinted at before the shareholders get antsy. Not every game does In the history of games, there has been an unspoken, rarely-recognized rule about how games end up good. The developers need to be passionate about their creation, as well as being masters of storytelling and design, and they need to be given all the freedom they need, so their vision really does come out, instead of being hinted at before the shareholders get antsy. Not every game does this. Okami did. It is one of the games that converts nearly every person who plays it, so much so that two years after its release, it was ported to the Wii and soon became a greatest hits title on the PS2, and was considered a second time for numerous awards. That's the power of love. Chrono Cross is a game where, if you let yourself be sensitive enough, you can feel the love in every detail, and find it all marvelous to take in. It is a game that manages to have no flaws, unless you consider relaxation to be a bad thing for a game to bring into your life. I won't beat around the Chrono Trigger bush: this game is the best one I've ever played, and I wish I could see more of this kind of art in games. Please, developers, show us how you love your fans like this second dream team did back in 2000. Forget about sales, and just do what you know is right for the game. It's something everyone needs right now. Expand
  23. EliF.
    Jan 25, 2010
    Story, music, visuals, gameplay - every aspect of this game is truly inspired and damn near perfect. The game also strikes a fantastic balance between a strong linear narrative and meaningful player choices, something that few RPGs, Eastern or Western, have matched before or since. Many dislike it for being so different from its beloved predecessor, but if you can accept this game for Story, music, visuals, gameplay - every aspect of this game is truly inspired and damn near perfect. The game also strikes a fantastic balance between a strong linear narrative and meaningful player choices, something that few RPGs, Eastern or Western, have matched before or since. Many dislike it for being so different from its beloved predecessor, but if you can accept this game for what it is, you will realize that it is a brilliant work and valuable asset for those who believe games have the capacity to be art. Expand
  24. DanH.
    Jan 8, 2002
    It's a pretty good game but has some flaws. There's only 2 worlds, the game has an incoherent storyline, and 90% of the playable characters don't have any role in the game. Overall, worth the $20 investment.
  25. ShaneW.
    Mar 18, 2003
    This game is a disgrace. The graphics are completely off and the gameplay as no limits. You don't even have a solid story line to follow. And even if you did it wouldn't make any sense. If any of you own this game, you waisted your money on a pile of bull sh**.
  26. HollyB.
    Jun 1, 2003
    First off, I must say that this game is VERY addicting. I love the music! Also, there are plenty of sidequests to keep you busy. Finally, I love how there are multiple endings and how you get a time shifter when you restart the game. Sidenote- Shane, it's "wasted" not "waisted"! Oh, and BTW, this game is not bull!! Why'd you play it if you hated it so much?!?!
  27. VidM.
    Dec 8, 2004
    This is one of the most overrated games of all time. While I think Chrono Cross' predecessor, Chrono Trigger, was also overrated, CT was an enjoyable game. Chrono Cross, frankly, bores me. Sure, it's a colorful game, sporting some of the best visuals of its time when it was released. But there's just no heart to the game. Even if I don't love CT as much as some, I This is one of the most overrated games of all time. While I think Chrono Cross' predecessor, Chrono Trigger, was also overrated, CT was an enjoyable game. Chrono Cross, frankly, bores me. Sure, it's a colorful game, sporting some of the best visuals of its time when it was released. But there's just no heart to the game. Even if I don't love CT as much as some, I can't deny its heart. CC just doesn't compare with its predecessor. CC's characters are stale and one-dimensional. The plot is just plain stupid. The world is shallow and incohesive. I keep trying to play this game, but only ever get a few hours in. The furthest I ever got was about 25-30 hours in. It was then that I realized the game just kept getting worse, and there were other distractions far more worth my time. Expand
  28. RyanM.
    May 9, 2004
    This is seriously one of the greatest games i've played. The story is complicated but if you have any brains at all you can understand it. It seems to me many people who rated this game didn't play it all for Chrono Cross has one of the best story lines there are. Music is beautiful, so are graphics. If you haven't picked up this game and you own a PS, do so right now.
  29. JoeS.
    Aug 13, 2004
    Super game, best rpg ever. involves a complex storyline with enough challenges to keep you busy. Great element graphics along with charecters that are stronger than in most other games. Only downsides are that there arent to many new techniques like double techs, the enemys were kinda weak except for the 3 mystical nights slash flea and ozzy.and they keep your charecter from being to good Super game, best rpg ever. involves a complex storyline with enough challenges to keep you busy. Great element graphics along with charecters that are stronger than in most other games. Only downsides are that there arent to many new techniques like double techs, the enemys were kinda weak except for the 3 mystical nights slash flea and ozzy.and they keep your charecter from being to good by giving them crappy level ups but i loved the game Expand
  30. TimothyR.
    Feb 21, 2005
    Everything about the game is perfect (especially the music).

#2 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 2000
#2 Most Shared PS1 Game of 2000

1. GMR Magazine
    It wasn't quite the "Chrono Trigger" sequel most people expected, but it's a magnificent game by its own right. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. CheckOut
    A beautifully crafted and fresh take on stale RPG gameplay, delivering an experience that rivals "Final Fantasy."
  3. CNET Gamecenter
    From the incredible story line to the combat system to the great visuals to the overall feel of the game, players will get the sense of how much of an impact a game like this can have.