• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Sep 30, 1999
9.1

1. Apr 27, 2011
    After all these years we thought Nintendo was the only company that produced decent kart games for their consoles, well finally the Playstation has its own clone, Crash Team Racing. Created and Developed by Naughty Dog, Crash Team Racing is a kart racing game where the player can choose to play as any of the characters in the Crash series (even the bad guys if you want, I always choose Crash because he's my favourite). There are five different modes to choose from: Adventure, Time Trial, Arcade, Verses and Battle. "Adventure" mode is the main story of the game. You start off in the arena where you can drive around and practice some skills such as hopping, drifting and power sliding. The main goal is to win trophies by coming in first place, when you have collected four the boss challenge opens up. Beat to boss to and you'll receive a key which will unlock the door to the next world, there you will find four more tracks to race. Overall there are 18 tracks, 5 worlds and 5 bosses. There are some unbelievable (Oxide Station in particular) race tracks and if that wasn't enough, you can use weapons on your opponents to help you to catch up if you are behind. In a way it's almost identical to the Wipeout games. As well as trophies, there are other race modes too such as Relic Race, CTR challenge and the Gem Cup Challenge. In "Time Trial" you can race through every single track in the game (this is a good way of getting some practice and memorizing the whole track in all of them), attempting to beat the computer players time. If you're fast enough N Tropy will challenge you, and if you beat his time you'll face Oxide. Trust me when I say this, no matter how many tries, how much speed, power, drifting, everything you give it, you will most likely not beat him. I've attempted them all myself and have only beaten him in a few races. In "Arcade" mode, you can scroll through a selection of tracks you wish to race. You can choose either Single Race or enter a Cup, where you race on four tracks in a row and score points. The better position you are, the more points you gain and if you have the most points after the four races, you win the Cup. The "Versus" mode is pretty much the same, with the exception that two or more players are involved. In "Battle" mode, you can have up to four players fighting and launching weapons at one another during combat in up to seven battle arenas. The type and length of the battle can be adjusted in the main menu beforehand. Graphically the game is very impressive, the colour and texture design of each vehicle are done brilliantly. The race tracks and environments are very well pixelated, and there is lot of variation background to see from a great distance. The characters are very well desinged , and i'm glad the developers didn't change them too much (unlike some Crash games) . As always, the music and sound effects are note perfect. Each soundtrack matches perfectly to each race track. One thing I really like is listening to the players taunts (especially Crash's who does some hilarious ones like "Wheeeeee" and of course his old time favourite "Whoa"), when trying to overtake someone. It's almost as if they're saying what you're thinking. The only criticisms I would say is that some of the tracks (Coco Park for example) are easy and boring and where in the other modes you can adjust the difficulty, Adventure mode doesn't have this option. It would have been nice if they added this feature, in case you felt it was too easy to complete. Despite this, I can honestly say this is the best Kart racing game I have ever played. It's way more superior to the Mario Kart games and if I ever get the chance, I will thank Naughty Dog dearly for making four great Crash games that will remain classics and will entertain millions of gamers as the years go by. Although it was sad to hear their departure from Crash, I absolutly loved what they did with Jak and Uncharted. Expand
  2. Mar 11, 2011
    Best kart racer ever!!!!!!! Ive been playin this game since i was 7 and it never gets old. The music is great and tracks are so fun. This game is so awesome i went out of my way to get platinum relics for all the tracks. I got all platinum but sewer speedway and n.gin labs are the hardest for platinum. I love this game so much i own for ps1, ps2, ps3, and psp. This so much more fast pace than mario kart. the adventure is much fun especially if you unlock the bosses. In my opinion the best ps1 racing game. Expand
  3. Feb 4, 2011
    Moving away from the platform genre, Naughty Dog has attempted to bring the Crash universe to the Kart racing genre and they've pulled it off. First off, the graphics are vivid and showcase some great detail and the tracks that you race on are well designed and most of them are fun to zip around in your karts. What keeps these tracks from being boring (most of them) is that some are littered with obstacles which are for the most part, are inspired from previous Crash games like the Piranha plants which swallow your kart and spits out its tyres and the rolling toxic drum which squashes you if you're not careful. Speaking of the karts, Naughty Dog has provided some good characters to race with from the Crash Bandicoot Universe (good or evil) like Crash (of course), Coco, Neo Cortex and each have different kart statistics like some can corner more effectively and some are faster in a straight line. The kart roster may seem small (you have 8 karts to choose from at the start), it's still enough for you to dig in and get racing. The game play resembles Mario Kart (which isn't a bad thing. You race around some nicely designed tracks with 7 other kart racers and try to win the race while pelting them with an arsenal of weapons. There's a decent selection of weapons to use like the TNT crate and the homing missile. They are fun to use and it's so satisfying to obliterate your opponents with them. Naughty Dog definitely nailed the game play of this game. It's entertaining to race with A.I opponents or split-screen with your friends. The A.I is smart enough to cause you trouble with trying to keep you from winning by destroying you with (randomly generated weapons, they don't need to drive into weapon crates to get their weapons *sigh*) weapons. They can be a little too easy to beat, even on the hard difficulty setting. The karts handle great and I like the drift boost mechanic where you slide your kart around corners (or on a straight to gain a speed advantage) and press the R1 (or if you're using the R1 button to slide, L1) button at the right time to give your kart a boost (up to 3 boosts per slide) while you turn. This is essential to master this mechanic if you want to beat the best times in time trial mode or get the gold's/platinum's in adventure mode. The controls are perfect and are responsive. Crash Team Racing offers a nice variety of modes to choose from. There's Arcade mode where you can enter a single race for a laugh on a track of your choice with a friend or your own, or a cup where you race on multiple races and earn points on each track depending on where you finish in the race (a bit like a Grand Prix). There's also time-trial mode and versus modes to play. The main meat of the game though is the story mode (known as the adventure mode). What Naughty Dog has cleverly done here, is integrate the level progression from the 2 previous platform crash games (the level selection, the warp rooms) and carried it over to this game. You progress through 5 areas, enter races by driving into active warp vortex's and try to win all the trophies, relics and CTR tokens and gain access to the boss garage at the end of . There are no clear gems to win but coloured gems can be won by participating in a gem cup that can be won by collecting all 4 CTR tokens that are the same colour as the gem cup that you want to enter. Naughty Dog has brought back some memorable bosses from previous Crash games to serve as bosses for this game. Crazy Ripper Roo is back! I love the way that Naughty Dog has integrated how you earn gems, the relics and the crates (the ? boxes which provide weapons and the bouncy crates which in return, juice up your kart and make your weapons more powerful) into this game and it will take a while to beat this game 100% because of all the gems, relics and bonus rounds you have to complete. The music is very well composed just like the previous 3 Crash games but the taunts/ voice dialog coming out of your character and other racers are a little monotonous and just silly. Some of the tracks, although most of them are pleasant to race on, are boring and bland (Coco Park and Blizzard Bluff springs to mind). It's also next to impossible to beat Nitrous Oxides ghosts on all of the tracks in time-trial mode! All of these things though are minor and don't spoil an enjoyable kart racer which maybe an odd concept for a Crash game, but a developer like Naughty Dog has neatly integrated the Crash universe into a kart racing game. It's sad that this is Naughty Dog's last Crash game. Expand
  4. Jun 19, 2011
    The best kart racing game developed, even to this day. Every single map is beautifully designed and the game has loads of content to unlock and discover. The only flaw is that this game hasn't been remade compatible with an online feature yet.
  5. Apr 29, 2011
    It's a tad bit too obvious that it's mimicking Mario Kart 64, but it does it in all the right ways, making it just as innovative and essential to anyone's collection of PS1 games. Pros: Fantastic visuals, control, and course design; boss battles; single-player and multi-player mode are endless amounts of fun; lots of extras and unlockables; the hubworld is a nice addition to the adventure mode. Cons: It's a tad bit too easy; it's not as great as Mario Kart 64. Expand
  6. Oct 10, 2011
    Even if it is a Mario Kart-knock off, it's not a bad game at all. In fact, it's one of the funnest racing titles on the PS one that never seems to get old, even going into 2012. Flashy with its colorful visuals and flawless graphics, but addictive with its variety of race tracks, weapons, and playable characters packed with charisma, this is one of the best Crash games to date.
  7. Nov 8, 2011
    This game is one of the best cart racers ever created, and finally a great one that isn't a Mario Kart racer. It is a near-perfect cart racer with great graphics and fun gameplay.
  8. Jan 31, 2011
    THIS, IS, MY FAVOURITE GAME OF ALL TIME!!!!! This is such a good cart racer, and the power slides are so easy to do, you could do them with one arm behind your back (exaggeration) but so hard to master and use to their full advantage. Add on excellent tracks, and a wikkid story line, equals EPICNESS!
  9. Apr 18, 2012
    Crash TR is undoubtedly a fun game with some of the best cartoonish tune and tone similar to the Crash games. With a lot of content addicting modes, tracks playability , makes the game a strong competitor of Mario Kart and other kart games.
  10. Jul 17, 2011
    Still an amazingly fun game and probably the best kart racing game next to the original Mario Kart. It's too bad all of the more recent kart racers (with the exception of DS) are nowhere near as good.
  11. Jul 29, 2012
    One of the very few best kart racing games for the PS1 which crash team racing is a perfect example to this before Naughty dog no longer had the rights to produce another crash game and selling off to a different company.

Story- Pretty obvious. The bad guy challenges you to whatever he decides in which case kart racing and you must defeat otherwise the bad guy will take over the planet
    and either destroy, or enslave the living around still awesome plot line for a kart racer.

Graphics- Not too much to explain since this was part of Naughty dog's involvementt with the game so its basically still a good cartoonish design to look into.

Gameplay- Don't think for a moment that this is basically Mario Kart since it has similarity just don't be hating enjoy the game. You choose your favorite characters from crash, cortex, tiny, N.Gin, etc while others can be unlocked through challenges involving CTR tokens in the story mode of the game. races are usually 3 laps which you can make your decision in singles, vs racing. while the boxes with ? contain weapons you can use to help you out to your advantage while CPU can do the same thing. Doing slides can really help you out since if you press a button at the right time during the slide you will recieve additional boosts which having more wumpa fruits can also increase slightly, as well as making your weapons stronger, and last for a period amount of time. Stages feel fun to play even after a couple times still enjoyable. Battle mode is where you and your friends duke out to see who's better in hitting the most players or achieving the most objectives in the amount of time. Time Trial is getting the faster time and achiving time relics depending on how fast you finish the race.

Overall- Still an enjoyable game even today it is amazing how it will always be a classic to kart racing on the playstation 1 though i wished that they would still make these amazing games though but that won't happen any time soon =(

Final Score- 9.5 for racing enjoyment
  12. Sep 23, 2012
    Crash Team Racing is the final Crash game developed by Naughty Dog and is something we haven't seen Crash do before. That is racing of course. The story of the game is that an intergalactic villain names Nitrous Oxide has kidnapped Crash, Cortex and the rest of the gang. The gameplay is very well played and the graphics are well designed. I can't stand it when people say "this game is a ripoff of Mario Kart" because Mario Kart was not the first racing game. Neither is Crash but it improves on what most of the other cart racers didn't have. This game is worth a look at. Not too many racing games have a good story and stellar gameplay like this game. Lag might occur occasionally, but if you have not played this game since 13 years ago when it was released, it is definitely worth a try. Expand
  13. Aug 1, 2012
    This is the best game of all time. Perfect just prefect and mario kart can't challenge with it CTR is better than Mario kart in all things. Naughty Dog I LOVE YOU :)
  14. Jul 19, 2011
    CTR has great tracks, fun characters and plenty of game modes. Story mode has entertaining boss battles and integrates time trials and collectables. Arcade mode is great fun especially with friends as is the battle mode. Any fan of Mario Kart will find this similar but highly enjoyable in its own right.
  15. Feb 4, 2014
    So much fun in Crash's racing sequel you will again spend hours racing you're opponents, it's just a blast. Not quite as good as Crash bandicoot warped but pretty well on par with it in terms of enjoyment.
  16. Mar 2, 2013
    It's the funnest, yet most blatant Mario Kart rip-off to date, and definitely one of the funnest in the franchise. A visual delight for its time and packed with a variety of characters, weapons, and tracks, CTR is definitely worth your $6 on the PSN.
  17. Dec 25, 2013
    Does this surpass "Mario Kart"? yes it does! This is THE game that made kart racing. Solid and responsive gameplay wiith fun mechanics. Cartoon-style graphics and brilliant use of colors and textures. Typical and enjoyable Crash music. Best multiplayer racer game. If it only could have online features "sigh". So grab three friends and have a blast with Crash Team Racing!
  18. Jan 6, 2013
    The best racing game in my opinion. I like character roster, levels, adventure mode and music is pretty good. Gameplay is addicting and game includes very much platforming, what is a good thing. This beats every Mario Kart game there is.
  19. Aug 19, 2013
    crash team racing is similar to mario kart it borrows the idea but improve it in every way the sound is amazing m levels and characters are good and a really addictive game play that i never be bored with the best kart eveeeeeer!
  20. Mar 14, 2013
    My first game on Playstation 1, I don't even remember the first time I've played it, but it doesn't matter, I still play it today and I enjoy it like I always did. As a kid I played it with my two brothers ALL NIGHT LONG. Great times.. About the game: awesome kart steering, interesting power-ups and weapons can be found during the race, large choice of extremely fun maps in which i think all of them have a secret route shortcuts, great graphics for it's time, a lot of characters to be chosen, awesome "adventure mode" and unforgettable multiplayer races. Absolutely one of my all time favorites! 10/10 Expand
  21. Oct 15, 2013
    I gave this game a 7, this is also my favorite game. This is my favorite because In my opinion, a favorite game is s game where you can keep on playing without getting bored or not finding the game repeating itself or having stupid things like quick time events. This game is has many flaws glitches ect. That's why I am not giving it a 10. But I am giving it, my favorite game. The highest ranking a game can get. Expand
  22. Apr 20, 2014
    I got this in the 99 cent PS Store Easter sale and find it as boring as it was when I played it years ago at my friends house when it was new. Those that enjoy this over Mario Kart either have never played a single Mario Kart or are possibly biased. It mildly reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing, instead of collecting bananas to pick up speed you hit crates with oranges and if you get 10 you get special versions of items and apparently a speed boost but there is no sense of one on screen. The levels are as complex as that Hello Kitty racer that released on Wii U recently and the controls are the definition of clunk. I will give it this, the title did make me realize Crash Bandicoot is the Gary Busey of gaming, in the beginning he was alright... sometimes great but fast forward to now he is just a crazy nut with a nutzo gimmick. Expand
  23. Oct 26, 2013
    after mario kart 64,this my favourite racing game
    it had a good story,and good graphics with a great gameplay
    and great characters
    the last great game of crash bandicoot
  24. Nov 8, 2013
    Best Game Ever! Only reason I still have my Playstation 2. The driving, the controls, the maps, the characters, everything is just perfect! You can even buy it on PS3 now, I hope they do this aswell for PS4!
  25. Dec 6, 2013
    a great kart racing game made CRASH BANDICOOT and its opponents famous characters ,i'm still playing this game a game full of fun especially in multiplayer mode
  26. Mar 24, 2014
    Best kart racing game ever (Mario Kart Double Dash is a distant second best). And also the mode where you can play tag to blow each other up one-on-one is so much fun, it never gets old.
  27. Jul 29, 2012

Final Score- 9.5 for racing enjoyment

1. Countless mascot racers flooded store shelves during the PlayStation era, and Crash Team Racing was the only good one. Really. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. Great balance and plenty of fun put this one on par with "Mario Kart" and if not for the average track design it would easily surpass.
  3. Just like the previous Crash games, CTR is utterly polished and addictive to a fault... That's right, you heard me, CTR is a better game than Nintendo's "Mario Kart."