Dino Crisis 2 PlayStation
  • Release Date: Sep 29, 2000
  • Also On: PC
8.9

1. Mar 1, 2015
    I am The Destroyer. I will break games, complain about the littlest detail, and tell you whether or not the game is worth buying. A lot of things to say here, but can't due to the 5000 character limit. The game will be judged under year 2000 gaming standards.

This review speaks from the perspective of a person who just wants to play a game, and is not necessarily a Dino Crisis hardcore fan.

1. Story
    It is difficult to describe the story without giving away spoilers, so rather than telling you about it, I'll just going to tell you the need-to-know: You play as 2 characters in the game, Dylan and Regina. You've been sent through a timegate to rescue 1300 residents of Edward City, which has mysteriously disappeared off the map in the main timeline. On the other side, vicious dinosaurs rule the planet, and none of them will hesitate to attack you on animal instants. Despite the dangers, you have a mission to complete. Go do it!

2. Voice Acting
    You can definitely feel the retro style in the voice acting, and despite a few cheesy lines, it''s done pretty well.

3. Graphics and Visuals
    There is an irritating lag during cut-scenes if you're using an HD television, but despite that, these graphics are at their best for the Playstation era! During gameplay, everything is smooth & laid out clearly. The jungle you explore goes together with the atmosphere like cake and icing.

4. Gameplay
    Gameplay refers to combat, customization, and various puzzles you solve within the game. Put it all together and it's Above Average!

-Battle System-
    Dinosaurs can jump at you during gameplay at any time, and they'll attempt sneak attacks on you. You could be walking in an area that looks fine, then suddenly have a Raptor jump out from behind and ambush you before you have the time to react. As unfair as it sounds; that's how a predator plays. Enemies will stubbornly spawn waves after waves in any given area, and you'll always be the prey in these hot-zones. There is plenty to kill here to the point where it can get repetitive. One more thing you have to watch out for is the Auto-Aim. You could end up pointing your gun at an enemy that isn't attacking you, and then get hit for it by a different enemy. It is highly recommended for new-time players to start on Normal difficulty. Hard difficulty is meant for those who understand the controls of the game because on this mode you can die in only 2 hits, and they spawn the stronger enemies earlier.

-Customization-
    When you kill or severely hurt an enemy, you obtain something called "Extinct Points" which is considered the game's form of currency. Those points must be used to restock on ammo and various medical supplies you'll be using throughout the game. With enough Extinct Points, you are able to increase the maximum amount of ammo capacity on any gun. Though keep in mind that it's not possible to increase any other stats on a weapon, so you still might end up using a certain weapon to get through an area. The key to success is to spend your points wisely, and not wildly. Once you've gotten used to the game however, customization in Dino Crisis 2 is really just what weapon you want to use.

-Puzzles-
    The puzzles are not too hard nor too easy, but with the amount of combat put in it almost feels like it's lacking, like a cake was baked with no love, then never tried again.

5. Soundtrack
    Dino Crisis 2's soundtrack isn't bad, but there's nothing here to phrase. In another year when you've moved onto another game, and then reflect back, you won't remember anything about the soundtrack for this game.

6.. Personal Enjoyment
    The one thing I was disappointed about was even after 2 playthroughs, I never got to try the "Dino Duel" game mode, which you can't unlock until you beat the game. Though granted, both playthroughs were on a different file. But I did have enough Extinct Points in the end to try the Dino Colliseum mini-game, which was basically just "kill all the dinosaurs in an empty arena type thing. The real game takes place in the actual story mode though, with minigames feeling unimportant. Both playthroughs took me around 5 hours to complete.
    The game was good enough for me to do 2 playthroughs before I came on metacritic to write the review, so it's definitely worth something.

7. Overall Verdict
    The main criticism lies in lack of puzzles, near-endless enemies in single areas, and mini-games that require multiple playthroughs just to be able to play. However, if you look past those issues, you'll see a gem behind the rocks. The verdict for Dino Crisis 2 is an 8 out of 10. Definitely worth everyone's time - you won't find a better dinosaur game anywhere else.
  2. Dec 31, 2014
    More Action, More Weapons, More Dinosaurs. This games is loads of fun if you're a fan of the original.................................................
  3. Nov 11, 2014
    Mikami has to stop that survival horror **** . I played his last game the evil within and finished that game . Why he still works to creating his new resident evil game . He cant do that .
    We need new DINO CRISIS game immediately ..
  4. Sep 14, 2014
    Pouco terror e muita ação, armas incriveis, inimigos astutos, fator replay com grande apelo. Graficos bonitos e puzzles legais. Um otimo jogo e viciante.
  5. Dec 25, 2013
    The Dino Crisis series has undergone a great metamorphosis from a Resident Evil clone to a brand-new type of game. Dino Crisis 2 is an original, enjoyable experience.

1. Great graphics and sound, tried-and-true gameplay, and wall-to-wall blasting mayhem make this a winner.
  2. I must say that Dino Crisis 2 is the most pleasing new experience in this whole Survival Genre yet.
    Let me tell you, this is the sh*t. Dino Crisis 2 is a pure action-packed adventure/shooter that satisfies my urge to bloody my shirt with dinosaur guts, all the while weaving a great story with worthwhile characters whom I care about.