Dragon Valor PlayStation

• Publisher: Namco
  • Release Date: Oct 16, 2000
8.3

1. Jun 7, 2017
    Dragon Valor is game that definitely was ambitious in its goals and ideas, and there are alot of problems with the game as a whole. It's save system was very cumbersome, being foolish with your magic and health made it frustrating to beat levels, the dialogue speed was slow, its enemies werent that tough to fight after you figured their basic attack patterns and just overall wasn'tDragon Valor is game that definitely was ambitious in its goals and ideas, and there are alot of problems with the game as a whole. It's save system was very cumbersome, being foolish with your magic and health made it frustrating to beat levels, the dialogue speed was slow, its enemies werent that tough to fight after you figured their basic attack patterns and just overall wasn't graphically impressive. What it losses there however is it gains in a more child-like wonder of being a hero and slaying dragons and enemies like a badass.

You have a surprising amount of movesets at your disposal when its just you and your sword, with charge attacks, backflips, aerials, kicks, tosses, slow mo cuts that stun targets and guarding attacks. While only a few handful were all you needed, its impressive how good the other abilities were that didn't necessarily have to be used. Magic was also great too and experimented with each on different enemies would prove powerful as you got further in the game's story.

A story that I think is pretty dam cool. Rather than tell a story of one individual and their goal to kill a dragon for killing his sister, the game has a family tree chapter system that plays the next chapter with the child from the previous starting with Clovis and ending in three different ways which dont have much difference but it at least encouraged replayability. It also really adds to the the final chapter a sort of gravitas of generations of dragon slayers coming to fight one of the most powerful dragons and feel epic for its time.

The music is decent too. The trading system and explorations of each level was satisfying and encouraged me to play through a different way each time so it added more to the replay value. I was in a phase where dragons were the most coolest creatures for me, so fighting things with the simple combat and such was more just "beat enemies to a pulp". I loved the adventure, and even now I can still enjoy it alot even though it has a great deal of issues. It's a shame that it was so under the radar at its time because it would have been a fun game for kids that were into medieval fantasy like me.

Dragon Valor might have issues, but if you are able to look past its blemishes, then you have a very fun adventure game that felt cool to play.
  2. May 25, 2014
    It bring back old memory ._. even it is not a perfect game , it worth 10 scores for me ~.o
    Fight the first boss , kill the second boss , choose your alternative story , continue the journey....... Nostalgic for me T.T

#47 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 2000
#26 Most Shared PS1 Game of 2000

1. CNET Gamecenter
    If you like scrolling hack-'n'-slash with some platformer action, all wrapped in a decent story, Dragon Valor will prove to be at least moderately entertaining.
    It's a fun game, though a tad short, but it's got the right stuff where it counts. Just don't expect too much.
  3. The average graphics, sound, and play mechanics contribute to the feeling that all this has been done before, and the uninspired storyline and lack of real plot twists really doesn't give you much motivation to keep playing.