Driver PlayStation

8.0

1. lollolvi4
    Jul 6, 2004
    Very good game.One of the first classic driving games.
  2. Jan 27, 2014
    The start of something amazing! A classic game with an amazing story, the driving physics and 3d open world graphics make it one of the best driving games ever.
  3. NealS.
    Jun 6, 2006
    This game is every guy's wish: drive a fast car crazy - and top speed - in a crowded city. It makes you feel like you're Steve McQueen in 'Bullitt'! Although the missions become a little monotonous, the driving game (specifically the car chase) is outrageously fun and addictive. My only gripe: not enough cities. Although the sequel gives you different city choices, it This game is every guy's wish: drive a fast car crazy - and top speed - in a crowded city. It makes you feel like you're Steve McQueen in 'Bullitt'! Although the missions become a little monotonous, the driving game (specifically the car chase) is outrageously fun and addictive. My only gripe: not enough cities. Although the sequel gives you different city choices, it does not compare to the ease and excitement of this first installment. Collapse
    Apr 30, 2004
    Good game, but repetitive sometimes.
  5. LindaR.
    Dec 12, 2002
    Flat out an amazing game. The sense of fun is off the charts.
  6. Jun 16, 2013
    At a time when GTA was still in 2d Driver provided an opportunity for gamers to take to the streets in 3d. It may not have been a true open world game but the thrill of chasing and being chased around a fully formed city in vehicles that, for the time at least, handled very realistically was fantastic. A horrendous difficulty spike in the last level meant that many would never complete itAt a time when GTA was still in 2d Driver provided an opportunity for gamers to take to the streets in 3d. It may not have been a true open world game but the thrill of chasing and being chased around a fully formed city in vehicles that, for the time at least, handled very realistically was fantastic. A horrendous difficulty spike in the last level meant that many would never complete it but it remains one of the best game available on the PSone. Expand
  7. Mar 23, 2015
    This one's a real classic with a great feel and an engaging atmosphere, but it's held back by its steep difficulty level and very frustrating time limits.
  8. Mar 17, 2011
    Driver is a decent driving game which draws influences from classic 1960's and 70's car chase films and attempts to bring those movie car chase scenes and mimic them in this game. Reflections has done a good job with this concept with great looking 3D environments, a soundtrack that fits well in the game and sound effects that sound powerful. The games 3D environments that you can driveDriver is a decent driving game which draws influences from classic 1960's and 70's car chase films and attempts to bring those movie car chase scenes and mimic them in this game. Reflections has done a good job with this concept with great looking 3D environments, a soundtrack that fits well in the game and sound effects that sound powerful. The games 3D environments that you can drive around in were somewhat of a new thing back then and still look great. Driver was a breakthrough in 3D driving games that even the mighty Grand Theft Auto series took this concept and the 3D view and built on it, and then Grand Theft Auto 3 was born, 2 years after this game. The environments are a little empty though and some of the cities roads are very strangely designed (I mean, Los Angeles has one of the longest straights I've ever seen!) The game play is simple: It involves you driving around in a car, around a big city, avoiding traffic and the cops, and either trying to get to a destination quickly or trying to get away from the cops as safely as possible in the single player campaign mode. The game play is quite limited and it does get quite repetitive after a while as you drive to this destination, then drive to another destination, avoid this, avoid that. The handling model feels responsive, polished and allows you to skid around corners and dodge traffic. The games main missions require a flamboyant driving style and good car control as you dodge traffic and avoid charging cop cars. The cut scenes that carry the story forward are nicely animated (seems that Driver games always have good cinematic cut scenes to advance its stories). As I said earlier, the sound effects are fantastic with some great sounding car crash noises and car engine sounds. The menu music is funky to listen to and is probably the best track in Driver's soundtrack. Chases with the police helps to liven things up and the police A.I is fair for most of the time and is able to dodge the traffic instead of mindlessly smashing into them unlike in Driver 2. Sometimes when the roar of the police engine and the sound of the police sirens is just behind you, you wonder if you're going to escape them or not. Along with the single player campaign, there are a few driving games to try out. My personal favourite is the Survival mode where you try to survive for as long as possible against a rampage of cop cars with supercharged V12 engines under their bonnets (well not literally, but they do seem to have a slight speed advantage) that try to damage your car. Now this game is good but there is one problem I have to address. Police car A.I is quite fair (unlike in Driv3r) most of the time but in one particular mission, they are far too aggressive; they slam in to your car consistently if you're not careful you could find yourself getting smashed around like a pinball in a pinball machine. This mission (I'm not telling you what mission it is) that I'm talking about is one of the hardest missions I've have ever come across in a Driver game because of the brutality of the A.I. It is a huge problem which may cause you to rip your hair out. Despite this "Minor" problem, Driver is a solid driving game and the fact that it was one of the first 3D driving games, it is one game that hugely influenced the 3D Grand Theft Auto games and the sandbox genre Expand
  9. IvanW.
    Jan 29, 2004
    Not very good.
  10. Oct 12, 2016
    Эх, вернуться бы в то славное время, которого нет, однако есть классная игра конца 90-х под названием Водитель, к сожалению, поклонников довольно таки немного, но есть те, кто чтит память данной игры и по сей день, ведь, предствить, что эта первая игра по сути, в которой можно рулить в свободном мире вызывало лишь бурю отличных эмоций, да и в игре был сюжет, который здоровска вписывается вЭх, вернуться бы в то славное время, которого нет, однако есть классная игра конца 90-х под названием Водитель, к сожалению, поклонников довольно таки немного, но есть те, кто чтит память данной игры и по сей день, ведь, предствить, что эта первая игра по сути, в которой можно рулить в свободном мире вызывало лишь бурю отличных эмоций, да и в игре был сюжет, который здоровска вписывается в антураж игры, прекрасные диалоги, от которых я до сей пор обалдеваю, даже, представить не возможно то, как создтели обошлись с продолжением, которое было, наверно, и неплохое, но и не особо, чтобы кайфовое. Expand
  11. HenrikS.
    Jun 7, 2007
    One of 2 games to "survive" my transition to PS2. Great fun, and still is.
  12. Oct 5, 2015
    Driver is the first driving game set completely in a 3D world, as far as I know. When I first saw (and later played) the demo, I was impressed so much and I knew I gotta have this game!

It's amazing how they succeeded in making such a big 3D map for the original Playstation back in 1999, 2 years before GTA III did it on the PS2. This really changed the face of driving games for the future.

The car handling is enjoyable and it's a hoot turning tight corners using the circle (burnout) button! Driving at high speeds through the city being chased by the cops, makes you feel like you are Steve McQueen in Bullitt (1968) The film director mode allows you to see your wildest chases again from different camera angles.

The funky music is fantastic and sets the tone for a 70s police/bandit flick. The graphics are good for its time.

A year later Driver 2 (2000) was released which didn't improve on Driver at all, except you can get out of your car. If you like more of this kind of driving games on the original Playstation, check out World's Scariest Police Chases (2001).

Driver was at its time a very original and solid game. It hasn't aged so well over the years, but it's still a good game if you own an original Playstation. I rate Driver 9 out of 10.
  13. Apr 8, 2016
    Лично мне игра очень сильно понравилась. Здесь есть все, начиная от прекрасного сюжета, и заканчивая отличной атмосферой. Для тех времен графика просто потрясающая. Очень хорошо.
  14. Oct 12, 2016
    Driver is a timeless classic. While the first mission is extremely difficult, the game is a lot of fun. Graphics look great for an early open world game, the cars control great and the maps are varied in design, The cops are brutal but that just adds to the charm.
  15. Nov 3, 2016
    Driver was utterly outstanding for its time on the playstation. The tutorial was the most frustrating part of the game ironically but that didnt stop me fro playing through the game. I had a lot of fun ramming my car into the police as they chased me down. Avoiding police using the map was engaging and I was anxious. I'll never forget driver. Overall, a cool driving game that has physicsDriver was utterly outstanding for its time on the playstation. The tutorial was the most frustrating part of the game ironically but that didnt stop me fro playing through the game. I had a lot of fun ramming my car into the police as they chased me down. Avoiding police using the map was engaging and I was anxious. I'll never forget driver. Overall, a cool driving game that has physics errors but was an amazing experience as a child playing this. Expand
  16. Jan 30, 2017
    Este juego tuvo la particularidad de que pocas personas lograron disfrutarlo, pues en la primera misión del estacionamiento se quedaron trancados, créanme con un poco de practica logra superarse, luego de esa misión pasa a ser un gran juego de persecución, inteligencia, delincuencia y trabajos en el bajo mundo. un excelente y divertido juego que mejora con su segunda entrega.

#8 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1999
#13 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1999

1. Delivers in spades exactly what it sets out to do: It lets the gamer be the wheelman in a non-stop car-chase movie. This is everything a driving game should be. It is, for all intents and purposes, perfect.
    What a tour-de-force! The graphics are top notch, the driving itself is unparalleled and the Director tools are unique and friendly... It's pure driving poetry.
  3. One of the freshest, exciting and entertaining titles we have played in 1999. Reflections has done it again with a title that breaks boundaries and creates a new level of entertainment.