Final Fantasy IX PlayStation

8.9

1. LeongFongW.
    Aug 5, 2001
    Actually is a good game but the characters' skills are not as flexible as FF7. FF7 can use different combinations with materia but FF9 can't.
  2. VidM.
    Dec 8, 2004
    First, let me say that I am a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series. Of the games I own, this is the one I've played the least. It is strange to realize that because this is not my least favorite Final Fantasy game. I whipped right through it in about two weeks, and that was it. I forgot about it. My least favorite Final Fantasy is actually FF8 (I'm not willing to even call the First, let me say that I am a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series. Of the games I own, this is the one I've played the least. It is strange to realize that because this is not my least favorite Final Fantasy game. I whipped right through it in about two weeks, and that was it. I forgot about it. My least favorite Final Fantasy is actually FF8 (I'm not willing to even call the fecal matter that was FFX-2 a Final Fantasy game...or maybe even calling it a game is too much credit...). However, I've logged far more hours playing FF8 than I have FF9. Even though I like FF8 less, I'm still willing to go back and play it every now and then. I simply have no desire to ever play FF9 again. It was fun while I played it. I did everything I wanted to do. The story was so neatly wrapped at the end, that I just don't feel a second playing would reward me in terms of more completely understanding the story. Again, this is a strange game, because it is good, and yet very forgettable. Expand
  3. AbraxusZ.
    May 8, 2006
    well i do say this is a very good game. Although it does have its bads and goods. What i didnt like about ti was that it was very short. I went through the game pretty fast and i expected more of a chalenge. This is my first fantasy game. And i hope it wont be my last. I was impressed by the charictors. I liked the fact that the main charictors fell in love hapily ever after. but what well i do say this is a very good game. Although it does have its bads and goods. What i didnt like about ti was that it was very short. I went through the game pretty fast and i expected more of a chalenge. This is my first fantasy game. And i hope it wont be my last. I was impressed by the charictors. I liked the fact that the main charictors fell in love hapily ever after. but what wouldve been better was another game with same charictors and like a new bad guy comes and invades but there love still remains a secret to themselfs. that would be a little secret between them i wouldve liked to have happend. But aditional charictors would be cool too. Anyways, the game was good and what someone said before i wanted to here there voices because i cant imagien them. Also it is indeed forgetable. I would like more of a story next time and a more unprodictable story. Everybody knows the stor, bad guy comes in godd guy comes in good guy kills bad guys yippidy doo dahh hapily ever after . I want more then that and that is what i expect in a good fantasy game. The only thing i admire most was the game play, graphics, and the charictors. Expand
  4. Nov 28, 2010
    I don't like this kind of gameplay, FF VII and VIII were far better than this.
    FF IX lacks in complexity, bringing the series to a too much traditional rpg.
    Besides the story is a little childish.
  5. Feb 24, 2014
    FFS Final Fantasy. I really enjoyed this game up until somewhere in disc 3, but by then Zidane and co. had outstayed their welcome. By disc 3 we're operating on contrivance, hour after hour of frustrating, stupid random encounters constantly interrupting dungeon exploration, battle scenes that take so god-damn-long to get started (do we really need a thirty second pan of the fightingFFS Final Fantasy. I really enjoyed this game up until somewhere in disc 3, but by then Zidane and co. had outstayed their welcome. By disc 3 we're operating on contrivance, hour after hour of frustrating, stupid random encounters constantly interrupting dungeon exploration, battle scenes that take so god-damn-long to get started (do we really need a thirty second pan of the fighting arena?) redundant ATB gauges that take far too long to fill, irritating enemies, level grind, the same battle over again and again, level grind, boss fight, boss fight. Another example of overrated Final Fantasy bilge. Expand
  6. Feb 19, 2012
    A fairly average Final Fantasy game, Final Fantasy IX has for the PS1, gorgeous scenery, a solidly enjoyable story that doesn't require you to look up mountains of lore elsewhere and impressive music. Where it fails however, is a lack of gameplay (akin to a transition of Final Fantasy games becoming movies) where you'll be mashing X to get through the text because the characters areA fairly average Final Fantasy game, Final Fantasy IX has for the PS1, gorgeous scenery, a solidly enjoyable story that doesn't require you to look up mountains of lore elsewhere and impressive music. Where it fails however, is a lack of gameplay (akin to a transition of Final Fantasy games becoming movies) where you'll be mashing X to get through the text because the characters are talking about crap, a lack of direction for those who do not know where to go and you'll also find that the characters and world is full of annoying, corny **** Expand
  7. Jul 15, 2012
    The strongest aspect of Final Fantasy IX is it's story. The characters are good and the story draws you in and motivates you to continue playing the game. Also the game has an amazing musical score. (One of the best I've heard.) Also the mini game in Final Fantasy IX is a lot more fun than the one in Final Fantasy VIII. The draw backs to this game are that it's short. It's a lot shorterThe strongest aspect of Final Fantasy IX is it's story. The characters are good and the story draws you in and motivates you to continue playing the game. Also the game has an amazing musical score. (One of the best I've heard.) Also the mini game in Final Fantasy IX is a lot more fun than the one in Final Fantasy VIII. The draw backs to this game are that it's short. It's a lot shorter than Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy VIII and it's less challenging. Also the graphics are a down grade from the graphics in Final Fantasy VIII. Over all Final Fantasy IX is a good game but it's not the as good as it's predecessors. Expand
  8. Aug 22, 2013
    A "role playing game" for four year olds, with a protagonist who looks like a monkey playing in a world where everyone looks like a monkey, jumping about like an assortment of zoo animals. Full to the brim with upgradeable skills to addict the completionist in everyone and your classic oversentimental JRPG plot lines so that everyone can 'role play" being 4 years old again and crying whenA "role playing game" for four year olds, with a protagonist who looks like a monkey playing in a world where everyone looks like a monkey, jumping about like an assortment of zoo animals. Full to the brim with upgradeable skills to addict the completionist in everyone and your classic oversentimental JRPG plot lines so that everyone can 'role play" being 4 years old again and crying when mummy yelled at you. The game mechanics are well designed, the music is good and 'as a game' its brilliant if you are suitably young at heart or still wearing diapers.

9. Apr 25, 2013
    It is one of the best Final Fantasy. He have some funny moments in the game. He have a good graphic and sound. But the history is the only i don't like at 100%.
  10. Mar 11, 2014
    I just had to change my review for this game... after playing more than 20 hours. I had to log off the game and come on metacritic.....

The best part of this game is the music, it's very nostalgic and you feel like you are in a magical realm(the music is sophisticated yet catchy/delightful). Unfortunately, I am realising that I can't continue playing this game any longer and I am

Unfortunately, I am realising that I can't continue playing this game any longer and I am dissapointed in waiting for the "epic" moment that was supposed to come but after 20 hours...I realise it's not coming at all.

By half of disc 2, I realised all that I am doing is dealing with non-stop random battles...every 5-6 seconds... I'm forced to fight boring monsters over and over and over and over... Just wishing to get to the next scene.
    Then, I realise that the next scene kinda "bores" me... essentially the MAIN reason is that the story is mediocre at best. It doesn't help that the graphics are horrible on HD screen on the PS3.

Overall, I have to give this game a 7/10 because it deserves a good rating for being a well-made game for its time. However, I realise that it COMPLETELY dissapoints in comparison to FF7 and FF8. Those 2 games had the constant random battles but they were WORTH IT...the storylines and scenes from the game were rewarding enough to continue...you were enthralled. In comparison, this game feels like they couldn't come up with an epic plot... or deliver a plot in an exciting and nostalgic fashion. Instead, it is rather bland... For example, even the bosses in this game are not memorable at all... the evil characters are rather boring(and they make you fight the same boss over and over and over).

I can definately see why they decided to change the series after FF9... but it's their own fault. It's not that the old model wasn't excellent... the main problem is they failed to deliver it correctly with FF9.

Don't get me wrong the game is not horrible... It's decent only because you can tell the developpers loved making games in the 1990-2000 era. You can feel the "atmosphere" and nostalgia in this game at least. IT BEATS ANY NEW "next-gen" games out there.... like FF13 or RE6 lol....

If square-enix would make a game similar to FF9 in spirit... with a PS3-PS4... they would enchant us all... it would be their chance to re-deem glory.
  11. Feb 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is perhaps the only FF entry where I disagree with the common consesus; sure it's good, enjoyable and still has the open world roaming and item hunting, yet I never truly connected with IX. This has mostly to do with a dozen of minor things which do not seem like real issues by themselves, but when adding them together an issue occurs.

Although the plot and the world are both solid FF stuff, the gameplay feels slow when compared to other entries. Character customization is extremely limited as you are only able to make minor tweaks to the characters and there's only really one end game boss, which only requries a single and simple strategy to beat. Whereas VIII had the card game nicely implemented, IX card game felt a bit out of place. The limit breaks/trance in IX were just acquired by something, I even don't know how, as at point I just was able to do the best trance skill with Zidane without no apparent reason. Perhaps there's something I missed to truly understand and enjoy the game as much as it recieves praise, but I simply found nothing out of the ordinairy in it. The game felt like Square was trying to do everything too carefully, and the result was a solid careful game that neither broke anything or made anything better. 7/10
  12. Aug 8, 2016
    As a followup to FF7 and FF8, I found FF9 to be a bit disappointing. Much of the classic Final Fantasy content is there: sounds, summons, battle system (with unique additions to gameplay and abilities), items, a charming cast of characters, vast worlds to explore, stunning artwork and graphics (for the era), etc. However, a few of the core elements that have made past FF games great areAs a followup to FF7 and FF8, I found FF9 to be a bit disappointing. Much of the classic Final Fantasy content is there: sounds, summons, battle system (with unique additions to gameplay and abilities), items, a charming cast of characters, vast worlds to explore, stunning artwork and graphics (for the era), etc. However, a few of the core elements that have made past FF games great are missing or subpar.

The music was particularly lacking. Some of the tracks were great, some were just ok, and some were flat out annoying (I'm looking at you Black Mage Village music). Some good stuff there, but definitely not Nobuo's best.

The character development and story were also lacking. This is the primary offender which kept this game from being quite good. The dialogue was often over-dramatic, muddled, and confusing. Characters lacked consistency and depth. They would often say and do things that did not seem to follow logically from the storyline or the character's past actions/dialogue. FF6, FF7, & FF8 had really solid characters that you felt like you knew very well by the end of the game. FF9 certainly had interesting characters (Vivi was a gem), but most of them I could not really connect with due to poor character development. I was constantly trying to figure out what kind of characters the game developers were trying to convey.

The FF series is known for being imaginative and often lofty or mysterious (especially the epic endings), but I definitely feel that the over-arching plot of FF9 stepped too far into the "weirdness" realm and lost me somewhere in disc 4. What may have been intended as epic plot "twists" really just came off as out-of-nowhere what-were-they-thinking hard-to-accept plot devices thrown in your face. Where is the context and the subtle hints throughout the game that help lead up to a satisfying conclusion? I found myself largely disconnected with the story at the end. I tried really hard to immerse myself, but I couldn't get a grip on to the convoluted and confusing story.

Ultimately, I'm glad I played through FF9, because I'm a fan of the series and there are some truly great moments in this game. However, a more accessible storyline with more consistent character development could've ranked this game up there with FF7 and FF8 as a true FF classic.

#1 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 2000
#3 Most Shared PS1 Game of 2000

1. GMR Magazine
    The crystals return to the series, along with a four-member party, blue magic, and black mages. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. CNET Gamecenter
    Continues the series' long-standing tradition of quality in one of the most compelling RPGs ever. This is the last Final Fantasy game that will appear on the PlayStation, and SquareSoft has definitely saved its best for last.
  3. A masterpiece of an adventure game. For anyone not to fall in love with it would truly amaze me. Everything is set just right and you are drawn into the story right from the very offset.